Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strong bird
May 12, 2009

hosed up that I can't get the best car in the series (blista compact)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

strong bird posted:

That was my very first car (stolen, of course).

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

strong bird posted:

:eng101: https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/exclusive-content-for-returning-gtav-unlocker

and no, you wont get banned (look where it installs to)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

UserErr0r posted:

I tried using a mod in single player using the mod manager, now I can't connect to online. Wonderful.

Any ideas on how to restore access? It looks like my social club is in offline mode.

I had this problem too. In your GTAV directory, there will be a file called "commandline.txt". Inside, delete the "-scOfflineOnly" option. You might also need to delete the Windows Firewall rule that blocks GTA and RSC as well.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Does that work online

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

You werent wrong that you love those things haha :allears:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

strong bird posted:

Does that work online

the blista, dukes, dodo, marshall, kraken and hatchet weapon, yeah.

the other stuff is sp only.

Jose Mengelez fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 27, 2015

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

UserErr0r posted:

I tried using a mod in single player using the mod manager, now I can't connect to online. Wonderful.

Any ideas on how to restore access? It looks like my social club is in offline mode.

Did you set it up so it removes the files after playing? If not, run the setup wizard again. I haven't had any problems.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
What are some good tips for doing better in races? My record is abysmal.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oh my god it works. My long, Dukes-less nightmare has ended.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Montalvo posted:

What are some good tips for doing better in races? My record is abysmal.

Don't crash, racing lines and that jazz. In general, try not to be in the crowd of dumbwits that is going to crash everyone. Use normal brakes the last second, instead of handbrake. Either make sure custom vehicles is off, or trade races until you get all the performance upgrades, so you at least start out equal. Entity FX is still good, despite the newer more expensive cars.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

mendoza...

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

Dunno-Lars posted:

Don't crash, racing lines and that jazz. In general, try not to be in the crowd of dumbwits that is going to crash everyone. Use normal brakes the last second, instead of handbrake. Either make sure custom vehicles is off, or trade races until you get all the performance upgrades, so you at least start out equal. Entity FX is still good, despite the newer more expensive cars.

No, you want to be the dumbwit that crashes into other players. It's literally the only entertaining thing about racing, especially if someone gets mad about slipstreaming being on (something that actually makes racing slightly interesting).

If you can't tell, I preferred twisted metal over need for speed during my PS1 days.

Mendoza was a good man :(

Holiday Lobster
Oct 27, 2009

I am going to smack everyone into tiny little pieces.
:h:

UserErr0r posted:

No, you want to be the dumbwit that crashes into other players. It's literally the only entertaining thing about racing, especially if someone gets mad about slipstreaming being on (something that actually makes racing slightly interesting).

Was doing races with randos and this one particular person in EVERY RACE kept trying to drive into me with their brawler and would fail. How? Not sure. I was on a sanchez and i'd just drive through the woods or anything else that would cause the guy to slam into it head first, while I weaved back and forth. If you're gonna be THAT guy, at least know how to gently caress someone up. Goddamn. I'm bad at races but I can out maneuver y'all (not always tho).

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Supercars are boring

What's that garbage looking armoured sedan that everyone has and never gets out of in missions unless it's absolutely necessary? There should be an option to automatically kick anyone who has that as their vehicle because they're guaranteed to speed ahead at mach 4 and shoot their dumb SMG with impunity before I can get there and play this god drat cover shooter

strong bird fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 27, 2015

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

strong bird posted:

What's that garbage looking armoured sedan that everyone has and never gets out of in missions unless it's absolutely necessary? There should be an option to automatically kick anyone who has that as their vehicle because they're guaranteed to speed ahead at mach 4 and shoot their dumb SMG with impunity before I can get there and play this god drat cover shooter

The Armored Kuruma (available for purchase after finishing the Fleeca heist). Best not waste time complaining about it, the salt mines are at full capacity.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'll get out of my Armored Kuruma during missions the day the NPCs stop having the damage and accuracy of Tier 1 operators.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Starhawk64 posted:

I'll get out of my Armored Kuruma during missions the day the NPCs stop having the damage and accuracy of Tier 1 operators.

Same.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Also same. I have played this game way too long to deal with their bullshit. Armored kuruma 4 lyf

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Press Q

titties
May 10, 2012

I don't have that, I could press square, traingle, circle, or x.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If you rebound the cover button from Q to X then you should press X.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'd look for BitBasher's giant effort post about racing. It's nothing but gold.

Or you could be a gamer about it and just buy a souped up sadler and host utility races or do the race trading thing.

titties
May 10, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

I'd look for BitBasher's giant effort post about racing. It's nothing but gold.

Here, I'll help:

BitBasher posted:

Almost assuredly the pilot was straight red but not everyone in the helicopter was, which is why you got a mental state bump. Counterpoint: Who gives a gently caress whether or not your mental state goes up or even cares what it is?

Oh hell, that race was incredibly tense. I was having so many problems catching you, you were staying just out of reach and drafting does dick with all the turns. I consider that one mostly luck.

Counterargument: Basicaly never handbrake. The only time I ever handbrake is at hairpin corners. Instead use L2 to conventionally brake before the corner and lightly accelerate through the corner. Don't mash the throttle, give it like 25% throttle to make sure your car is slight accelerating instead of decelerating. This game (amazingly) models weight distribution and traction during weight shift, so lightly accelerating through a corner shifts the cars weight to the rear tires giving the them more traction and allowing you to corner faster because you won't fishtail as easily.

If you are braking instead of accelerating, then when you go around the same corner you are decelerating, the weight shifts to your front tires instead giving your rear tires less traction and making them far more likely to lose grip and go rear end out. Likewise if you aren't braking or accelerating and cruise through a corner hitting nothing, then your car is still decelerating because of engine braking and friction which is shifting weight forward again, taking weight off the rear tires and making you lose rear wheel traction. The handbrake binarily locks up the rear wheels loving your rear wheel traction. Except in very specific circumstances ALWAYS brake with L2.

All of this works in the game just like real life because it's a proper physics simulation on all 4 tires traction instead of faking it like The Crew. Amazingly, each car in GTA actually has functional gear ratios and a gearbox with a set number of speeds, a working throttle power band, and working differentials for traction. This is when you gas a car at low speeds while turning you can get only the inside wheel to lay rubber. This game has way, way more physics simulation than is apparent. AWD cars even have varying levels of power distribution to front and rear wheels depending on the model, which is why you can get the Elegy and Sultan to do 4 wheel burnouts but the 9f never will, because the Sultan and Elegy have a much closer distribution of power to front and rear, rather than the 9f which is like 80% rear.

Fake edit: ...And gently caress I wrote a phone book.

geeves posted:

The following won't mean poo poo if you can't control your car. Find the best cars for you in each class. They each drive differently so find one with which you feel comfortable. Which to start with? This is covered in the second post of this thread. But don't let that be a definitive list. None of these "rules" will do you well for a race in which pubbies play king of the mountain and constantly try to rear-end you, use the PIT maneuver against you, race the track in reverse or just simply exist, or a race with traffic and constantly altering your drivelines, but they can help in the grand scheme of racing.

• Don't race with pubbies.
  • Learn by doing more technical races (throttle control, cornering, basic control of your vehicle) you wont' find these by R* or even ones that are Verified. The ones that get verified are the easy ones or the ones that cause the most mayhem. I like a lot of the crew made races and I try to make my races more technical with few straights and more hairpins and quicker tighter turns which are more than 100 degrees.
  • Look at the map while the lobby joins up. (Square PS4 / X Xbone). Unless you've raced the map before you can guess what you're in for. The only lovely thing R* doesn't do is show you the direction of a lap race.
  • Learn how to corner and attack a turn (see images below). Do this both solo and with others so you can properly overtake an opponent. The Forza guys will recommend an 80s video with a bald guy wearing daisy dukes. The video is very informative, but 90 minutes long. R* may have rear end in a top hat physics but they're pretty decent when it comes to racing.
  • I hate slipstreaming personally, but can appreciate it because when it is on for a race it doesn't guarantee victory if you're only a few car lengths ahead, or if you win because of it you can incite rage from the would-be-winner. That you can slipstream from 25 yards away is completely hosed up. "Oh, you can't turn? Well, on the straights you can make all that up from so far back".
  • Don't hold the throttle at max unless you're sure of a straight. Especially don't hold it at max while going into turns. 90% of accidents happen in turn 1 (actually make that every turn) because of this. Pubbies hold that throttle so intensely it's miraculous that they haven't broken their controller yet. This also goes into changes in elevation as your vehicle can easily take flight with a sudden drop in elevation causing problems if there is a turn soon after. Also going up a steep hill into a turn can easily be a ramp and send you off course.
  • Don't break while you're in the turn. Breaking while in the turn is how you spin out plus you can lose a lot of speed / momentum.
  • Do break before turning into a tight turn. The old adage when taking turns (especially tighter turns) is the slower you seem to be taking the turn, the better your race line and apex probably are. However, the majority of street races (in which Super cars are always chosen by a pubbie host) they feature a lot of room to move and wide sweeping turns. You most likely don't have to break, but may have to let up on a throttle just a tad so you don't lost control or sail wide.
  • Find the apex and hit it correctly so you're accelerating out of the turn. For example, you might shave 0.1 / 0.2 seconds (or more) off of each turn, over the course of a 10-15 turn lap that can turn into a 1-3 second lead, just from knowing how to corner. If you do this correctly you will notice the difference in velocity as you exit the turn.

And a tighter, hairpin turn:

Or a more complex hairpin:

BitBasher posted:

Everything in Geeve's post is excellent, but I would like to make a suggestion...

The following image is a good way to corner:

geeves posted:

And a tighter, hairpin turn:

Or a more complex hairpin:

...As long as people are not trying to murder or driving like loving idiots, neither we do not have the luxury of. Instead, you may want to try something like this:

Pubbies drive like the pink line. They hug the inside, then brake early and clog poo poo up, and like have to brake at the end of the corner or hit poo poo. It's a clusterfuck.To help with this a lot take an outside-in late apex corner. In a nutshell You swing outside and brake a little later, but since you are so far outside you end up with a loner acceleration period because you can gun ir both before and after the apex. This means less time in the pubbie retard zone, and if done right you can you shoot through the cars and avoid them because they are a 60 degree angle to you. The corner is technically a little slower but in our case it lets threats be in front of you and able to be avoided instead of just throwing a hail mary and letting pubbies do their thing all around you. It keeps you outside of the pack a lot more letting you react to things instead of just getting hosed. It really works.

BitBasher posted:

The physics in this game aren;t really janky at all, the cars just have a pile more traction than they should. Everything else physics wise works generally just like it should.

Damnit, I should have put arrows on my image. I just noticed right now that it's ambiguous and I am dumb.

Approaching the corner counterclockwise hard brake while straight, as soon as you start turning light throttle through the sharpest part of the turn, then as soon as you straighten out give it as much throttle as possible heading towards the straight.

Do it enough times and you will learn how far from the corner you have to brake at what speeds. There's just no way to explain how far without experience. When going downhill you need to brake sooner and gas less, while going uphill you can brake later and gas more.

GTA cars have a chunk more traction that cars in the real world so you can get on the gas earlier than you could in other racing games like Gran Turismo of Forza.

BitBasher posted:

If you don't plan on winning but just want to collect tears then this works great. At the start of a race number one priority should be avoiding contact with everyone. Period. If you gently caress with other cars then the leaders get away free and the further you are from the leader the more cars there are that will gently caress you up between you and the leader. This is the very reason that someone can win race after race in full lobbies even with catch up on. As the field fucks with each other and gets farther and farther behind, the people that are ahead gain an insurmountable lead. If you are going to pit do it strategically. Pit on corners. Wide sweeping corners are best. Don't just spin them out, send them off the track entirely. A pit that spins someone backwards will lose the lose a second or two whipping back forwards And catches up easily. A wreck that sends someone sideways until they skid to a halt (Which you really can't recover from) or into a building or telephone pole cists them a whole pile of time and throws them to the dogs putting them back in the pack to get hosed with by others effectively eliminating them.

FAKE EDIT: This always happens, phone book incoming.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but you need to learn to drive. If you are coming in last then you can't drive. People that race in this game are generally loving horrible.

Never ever drift as a general rule. Just like racing in real life don't touch the handbrake ever. The number of situations I do are so vanishingly small to be totally useless.

All of this is just like real life: Stick with the normal brake and always be done braking before you turn. As a rule never brake while turning. Brake enough so that you can get through the turn without slowing down, and you are on the outside of a corner. Then you apply light gas through the entire corner. and as you start straightening out you accelerate more and more until you have the gas all the way down. Never accelerate enough that your wheels spin. If you always either mash the throttle or let off of it you will be at a disadvantage. Different cars have different traction thresholds. If you want to know what the car can do when pushed to the limits of its traction then you just drive it. Drive it in free roam. Take all kinds of corners at all kinds of speeds until you do not ever spin that car out around corners, and you are taking corners as fast as you can. I cycle through driving every one of my racing cars in free roam because there is no substitute for just knowing what the car can do. For people who play with me this is why I am almost always in a different car at any given time.

Why am I spinning out?: GTA uses a really accurate physics model for tire traction and weight shift, you just have more traction that you would in real life making it more grippy and arcadey. The reason you spin out on a corner is that you are braking while turning, or over accelerating while turning. When you take a corner all the car weight shifts. Generally when you hit the gas the weight of the car shifts to the back two tires because of acceleration, and when you brake the cars weight shifts to the front two tires. This is important because the front two tires are all the traction the car has for steering and the back two tires are usually just following the front two. When cornering the tires are acting as as a force countering inertia and the faster you cornet the closer you are to the tires losing traction. If the front tires lose traction you stop turning and start going straight because those front tires are providing the traction to keep you turning. If the rear tires lose traction during a corner, such as from hitting the loving handbrake, then there is no traction keeping the rear of the car following the front of the car and the rear of the car does what physics wants it to do and it starts going straight, the car spins, and you lose your poo poo.

This is why you can be going through a corner fast, realize you need to slow down a little, but when you hit your brakes while turning the corner the whole car loses it's poo poo and you start spinning and hitting buildings. When you hit the brakes the cars weight shifted forward off the rear tires, so now the rear tires have less traction. The bad thing is that the rear tires were close to their traction threshold because you were going really fast, so when they now have less traction from you braking they no longer have enough traction to keep gripping the road and holy poo poo you're hosed and sliding off the road. Slow down before the corner, never brake on the corner.

What you want to do is to brake off enough speed before the corner, then hold down the throttle just a little through the corner and more throttle as you can as you straighten out. When you take your finger off the gas entirely you are actually decelerating from engine braking, traction, and wind resistance (which yes, is frighteningly in this game model as a drag coefficient). You don't want to be decelerating around a corner because it takes weight off the rear tires and robs you of needed traction. So, you need give it light and increasing throttle through the corner which keeps the weight shifted back onto the rear tires and lets you take the corner faster because you have more effective real world traction. The amount that this can help you take corners is actually really substantial.

Since you are on ps4 we can set up a time sometime in a private lobby where I can run through this poo poo in a car with a mic. Maybe have a driving class for anyone who would be interested. I just hate organizing these things.

E: TL;DR:

Decelerate before the turn, keep throttle steady in the turn. Don't try to maneuver and accelerate/decelerate at the same time, gently apply throttle back to full around 3/4 of the way through the corner. If you're on PC I have no idea how you manage half or three-quarters throttle.

titties fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 27, 2015

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
:eyepop:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

All that stuff I learned from Gran Turismo, and yet I'm still a terrible driver. :v:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Starhawk64 posted:

All that stuff I learned from Gran Turismo, and yet I'm still a terrible driver. :v:

I scored gold in every license exam in ever Gran Turismo! :suicide:

As an addendum to the holy poo poo too many words of mine quoted above: Never drive a top end supercar when loving around in freeroam. Drive a fast car or cars that don't handle as well and make you learn to control your poo poo. Drive a number of them, get used to how they handle. After you can drive a Coqutte (Classic or Blackfin), Dukes, Carbonizarre, Monroe, or similar cars at high speeds in traffic without crashing into poo poo then when you get in a Massacro, T20 or similar car they are absolutely cake. Drive all the crazy rear end cars and nothing but. They will make you a better driver way faster than getting creamed at races and driving nothing but a t20 in freeroam does you poo poo for good.

There's also the point of Visual Horizon. Don't look right in front of your car like the vast majority of all people do. Look a block or more ahead of your car, look way ahead of your car. If something pulls out right in front of you then you are hosed anyway and won't have the reaction time to do anything about it, so gently caress that. Look a good 5-8 seconds ahead of your car and then you can plan a path around obstacles without having to freak the gently caress out when it sneaks up on you because you weren't looking far enough ahead.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 28, 2015

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

BitBasher posted:

Don't look right in front of your car like the vast majority of all people do. Look a block or more ahead of your car, look way ahead of your car. If something pulls out right in front of you then you are hosed anyway and won't have the reaction time to do anything about it, so gently caress that. Look a good 5-8 seconds ahead of your car and then you can plan a path around obstacles without having to freak the gently caress out when it sneaks up on you because you weren't looking far enough ahead.

Almost like... driving a real car. :aaa:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
gently caress all y'all, I use a G27 to drive in GTA

No I'm not joking

Why are you laughing?

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like to stomp on the pedal and zoom so fast.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
Here is how to race like a professional

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
haha look at that effort post, the PC racing thread is that way.

Just keep playing until you've learned a number of the common tracks. You'll learn so much about the car handling, how the game models it and how the terrain actually translates to what you need to do in the car that everything else will come.

Also the fundamentals never go away. The T20 has such hardcore turn in and with such balance that with the right line I rarely brake, just a lift can really kick it into an apex and even flat to the boards it still turns like it shouldn't. The supers are nuts, the other categories are the usual tropes. The muscle cars have power but slide like they're on oil and they model body roll and generally what the rest of the world calls a 'yank tank' by having their handling being a bit twitchy, so the strategy is POINT IT STRAIGHT and THEN hit the throttle. The T20 you can have at full lock and kick the throttle and it doesn't give a gently caress because it's a magical super car.

Bikes are a lot of fun because you actually have to race due to the lower percentage chance of your massive shitcunt into turn 1 actually loving anyone but yourself. I ride the Hakuza (or whatever it's called, the Ill Gotten Gains superbike addition, the classic superbike from GTA1) everywhere, dirt, road, everywhere.. because one you learn how it turns you can make all the corners and jumps and then blitz others on the straight. The biggest trick with bikes is a mono or wheelie is TURBO! You should be pulling a wheelie every loving second you can, as in I'm constantly on my back wheel and only dab the front end down enough to turn into the corner.

Finally for a boost start you stay off throttle and let it count 1, 2, 3 and then on GO, infact like a quarter of a second before GO you floor it. Do it right and you'll know, a turbo sound happens, the visuals go like you're a bit stoned (lol) and you get the holeshot.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

I like to stomp on the pedal and zoom so fast.

Yeah it's so cool when your goes like vrooooom.

titties
May 10, 2012

One of my favorite GTAO moments was doing missions with BitBasher on PS3 a long time ago.

I pull up in my car and beep at him, he gets in, and we drive toward the objective. For a while there's silence, then he said "I forgot that you know how to drive. I usually don't ride with anyone" and it felt good man

E: I'm pretty sure I said something like "I mean I slow down a little before a turn" and then immediately spun out and hit a building

titties fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 28, 2015

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

titties posted:

One of my favorite GTAO moments was doing missions with BitBasher on PS3 a long time ago.

I pull up in my car and beep at him, he gets in, and we drive toward the objective. For a while there's silence, then he said "I forgot that you know how to drive. I usually don't ride with anyone" and it felt good man

E: I'm pretty sure I said something like "I mean I slow down a little before a turn" and then immediately spun out and hit a building

Its nice to ride in a car that isn't hitting everything. Mosy times i get in someone elses car I don't look at the screen because its painful. Its a sad state of affairs that when doing Heists with pubbies I usually make it to the initial drive across the map objective in a Vigero or Sultan well ahead of jackasses in supercars.

When someone can drive I ride shotgun in first person, it's nice.

Edit: we havent done a race night I could show up for in a while. I have a tricked out station wagon I have been waiting to use against you guys. :v:

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 28, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Its nice to ride in a car that isn't hitting everything. Mosy times i get in someone elses car I don't look at the screen because its painful. Its a sad state of affairs that when doing Heists with pubbies I usually make it to the initial drive across the map objective in a Vigero or Sultan well ahead of jackasses in supercars.

When someone can drive I ride shotgun in first person, it's nice.

Edit: we havent done a race night I could show up for in a while. I have a tricked out station wagon I have been waiting to use against you guys. :v:

Set it up, my w/l ratio for races hasn't reached the abysmal state of my k/d yet, let's fix it by me losing 15 straight.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

titties posted:

Set it up, my w/l ratio for races hasn't reached the abysmal state of my k/d yet, let's fix it by me losing 15 straight.

What days are best for people? We normally set these up friday or saturday, is that really the best for ps4 folks? Dont people do things on weekends?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anything happening with the unwashed biker crew?

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
my immersion is ruined whenever tophats hits another car on the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I wish people played half of the game modes in this on PC.

• Locked thread