Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Just noticed that the bestiary lists enemy abilities now (at least I think this is new), pretty cool.

Azran posted:

I think I should rephrase my question, even though your answer was quite helpful: is there any expected breakpoint of competency you are supposed to hit? Say, just like having an 18/16 on D&D. "Literally don't go below this number on your primary"?
Not really sure if I understand what you mean by break point, every stat point gives the same bonus as the one before after all.

Anyway, I agree with zedprime, although there are some cases that are pretty clear cut imo, for example I'd always max out Dex on a Rogue and Int on a Wizard.

What class are you going for, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Wizard Styles posted:

Just noticed that the bestiary lists enemy abilities now (at least I think this is new), pretty cool.

Not really sure if I understand what you mean by break point, every stat point gives the same bonus as the one before after all.

Anyway, I agree with zedprime, although there are some cases that are pretty clear cut imo, for example I'd always max out Dex on a Rogue and Int on a Wizard.

What class are you going for, anyway?

Break point might not be the correct word, but for example in D&D if your primary stat is X and your secondary stat is Y there's absolutely no reason not to max out X at 18 at char creation while also leaving Y on 16 because anything below that is just shooting yourself on the foot.

Either Paladin or Cipher.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The attributes give small linear improvements and are really just flavour. There's not much more to it than; I want to do a bit more damage>bump might, I want a bit more spell duration and aoe>bump intelligence. There are no break points or need to max anything and the only way you can go wrong is pants on head stupid min maxing against your character role, like a rogue with dumped str/dex or something.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Itumaak should be biting Edér's hand, not snuggling up against him! :argh:

"I'm gonna pet him! :haw:"

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
After suffering many bites he's clearly worn Itumaak down.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Someone spoil the soulbound weapons for me so I can decide what character to make.

Also what's the 0 on the bottom right of my character portrait?

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 27, 2015

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pwnstar posted:

That depends on what class you're playing.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Pwnstar posted:

Someone spoil the soulbound weapons for me so I can decide what character to make.

Could be a bug. I just logged on and there is a 0 in the lower right hand corner on the first portrait from the left. I have Eder in that spot.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Pwnstar posted:

https://imgur.com/a/DJgnq

E: I found this on Reddit, so I don't know if there are more in the game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's definitely more. I found a cursed two-handed sword that can't be unequipped while exploring. Disappointingly, it has no hand-drawn sketch :(

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Booting the game back up for a White March run…does this party look viable? And how easy is it/early can I get everyone?

X X X X X

PC Priest (looking for race/domain suggestions)
Zahua (Monk)
Devil of Caroc (Rogue)
Grieving Mother (Cipher)
Hiravias (Druid)
Pallegina (Paladin)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CobiWann posted:

Booting the game back up for a White March run…does this party look viable? And how easy is it/early can I get everyone?

X X X X X

PC Priest (looking for race/domain suggestions)
Zahua (Monk)
Devil of Caroc (Rogue)
Grieving Mother (Cipher)
Hiravias (Druid)
Pallegina (Paladin)

You've picked the 5 latest companions.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have to say that the auto-slow on combat makes the whole thing much nicer for me - easier to time my pauses, which is good because with auto-pause on I'll usually pause manually first and then the auto pause will hit, which bugs me (neat feature would be to disable the next autopause if a manual pause happened between when it was queued and fired - this especially happens with 'autopause on ability finished'.) But having it on slow by default is a good speed for me. Really enjoying it.

Made a new chanter - envisioning an AoE debuffer. I have 9 str, 7 con, 18 dex, 15 per, 19 int, and 12 res (or similar, this is from memory.) Was unsure if bringing down strength like that to keep my Perception (for accuracy) and Resolve (for concentration) up a bit is worth it, but I'm only on Hard anyways.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Did they ever fix the combat in this game to not be terrible?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone find soulbound firearms yet?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

I have to say that the auto-slow on combat makes the whole thing much nicer for me - easier to time my pauses, which is good because with auto-pause on I'll usually pause manually first and then the auto pause will hit, which bugs me (neat feature would be to disable the next autopause if a manual pause happened between when it was queued and fired - this especially happens with 'autopause on ability finished'.) But having it on slow by default is a good speed for me. Really enjoying it.

Just let it pause for you the first time. Lay off that spacebar.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I cant get the White March into quest to fire with the second CHAR I tried it with. The first save I loaded worked fine but when I switched CHAR I cant get the quest to fire. I am well into Act 2 and am currently in Copperlane. Anyone else have this issue?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Torn between A) just going Path of the Damned on a new playthrough or B) attempting Triple Crown Solo, with the admitted side effect that I wouldn't be in great shape for White March (and there's no TCS achievement for it :argh: ).

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I want a game that's just Eder going around collecting animals to pet. ie Pillars of Eternity: Dyrwood Pet Rescue.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Isn't that what the main game already is?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

cheesetriangles posted:

What made it more enjoyable for me is setting the 'slow by default' option and doing more pausing manually, and bumping up the difficulty level. If the fights are too easy I fall into the habit of just lassoing all my guys and killing everything one at a time, which gets pretty boring. Keeping the difficulty up makes me think more, which is more engaging and fun. And if I notice myself doing the lasso thing and failing that's a sign that I need to take a break.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

That doesn't sound like like the problems I had at all. More the entire stat system / combat in general being badly designed.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

cheesetriangles posted:

On my first playthrough I was on normal and by the end I was pretty exhausted by what felt like a lot of filler. I'm doing a 2.0 run on Hard now and having a blast, since I actually have to use my brain and make effective use of all my spells and whatnot. The stealth changes are a very nice enhancement as well. That said if you absolutely hate rtwp I don't think anything in Pillars is going to change your mind now.

e:

cheesetriangles posted:

That doesn't sound like like the problems I had at all. More the entire stat system / combat in general being badly designed.

This is a pretty vague statement and there hasn't been any fundamental redesign of game mechanics, so uhh, you'll probably still hate it I guess?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I love RTWP. Just wish they built some good mechanics around it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cheesetriangles posted:

I love RTWP. Just wish they built some good mechanics around it.

You're not really explaining anything. What's bad about it, what don't you like? I mean, you wanna poo poo on a plate just to poo poo on a plate, that's cool, it's the internet, but for discussion purposes what is bad?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

cheesetriangles posted:

You really should explain what you mean because, as far as turn-based party roleplaying games go, this one has one of the best examples of a well designed stat system.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
here we go again

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azran posted:

You really should explain what you mean because, as far as turn-based party roleplaying games go, this one has one of the best examples of a well designed stat system.

If "well designed" means "none of the stat choices you make are particularly meaningful or impactful", then yeah, it's well designed.

Some people like that. I find it a bit boring and not especially fun.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Have there been any changes to Spiritshifting? I really wanted to focus on that when the game first came out only to run into the problem that the duration was miserable for any use.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Spiritshift armor and weapons now get more powerful every three levels.

A lot of the base class abilities (e.g. Constant Recovery, Arcane Assault) scale now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What is the official bug reporting channel? I have reset everything and still can't get a second Character to have the White March initial quest trigger.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If you report bugs in the Obsidian forums, we have QA folks who can answer/ask questions and will put them into our bug queue.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

sassassin posted:

You've picked the 5 latest companions.

Well balls.

How soon can I get the White March companions? If I go to White March as soon as I can (Act 2/lvl 5), do I have a shot at getting them and bring them back to the "main game?" Or am I going to get my rear end handed to me trying?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can get Zahua very early in The White March. The Devil of Caroc takes a little more time to get to, but you can take both of them back to the main game areas.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

CobiWann posted:

Well balls.

How soon can I get the White March companions? If I go to White March as soon as I can (Act 2/lvl 5), do I have a shot at getting them and bring them back to the "main game?" Or am I going to get my rear end handed to me trying?

You can just grab the regular companions/hire mercs and drop them as you get to the companions you want.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

sassassin posted:

If "well designed" means "none of the stat choices you make are particularly meaningful or impactful", then yeah, it's well designed.

Some people like that. I find it a bit boring and not especially fun.

Well then I have good news, this game does not suffer from that problem!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Nope.

Even after I switched up to POTD I found it to be generally boring, because all the higher difficulty really does is make the enemies more difficult to hit. Maybe you have to debuff a little more or something, but it's basically the exact same fight you had on lower difficulties, only now it's a bit less forgiving so you have to do the tedious crap every fight instead of just right clicking to victory through the trash fights. Boring.

It's made even worse by the fact that most of the fights you're going to run into don't even provide experience or worthwhile loot, which means that their only purpose is to be filler content that artificially extends the game's playthrough time. Bleh.

Azran posted:

Eh. They successfully weeded out any trap choices and surprise disqualifications from the stat system, but they also managed to weed out any feeling of significance; as long as you don't drop any given stat into the gutter you can basically just assign stat points randomly and all the characters will be equally playable. Maybe you miss out on a dialogue option or two, but that's almost always going to be "Say something slightly different that doesn't change the outcome of this event". Basically, character creation has a ton of breadth but no actual depth; I get to choose between all kinds of different things that don't matter at all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The main draw of PotD is that enemies will last long enough for you to do your stuff to them. They will hit hard enough to justify breaking out the cool stuff kind of like Priests/Paladin support stuff. Etc.

It doesn't really change the fundamentals of the game. If you don't like the stuff you are doing then nothing in the game will ever change that. You can have neato encounter design and less trash and that's what everyone wanted after the base game, and hopefully the expansion delivers (I have no idea if it does, still waiting for the font fix!)

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

cheesetriangles posted:

What do you consider to be a 'Not Terrible' combat system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mozi posted:

Well then I have good news, this game does not suffer from that problem!

How each character plays is based on, in rough order:

Class
Equipment
Level
Skills
Talents
The RNG
Your attributes

Str 15/Dex 10 and Str 10/Dex 15 are functionally identical. Compare that to something like Shadowrun where investing 5 points in one over the other requires you to drastically alter your approach to combat. Meaningful choices versus meaningless ones.

It's a boring, safe system that prevents the player from accidentally creating a bad or even sub-par character. It's a valid approach, and in a sense "well designed", but let's not pretend it's objectively good or at all interesting.

• Locked thread