Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Book spoilers re: Ciri: There is supposedly a Witcher prophecy that says a "Surprise Child" (Geralt meets Ciri after helping someone who promises him "the thing you find at home you weren't expecting" which happens to be a 12 year old girl Geralt has met before). Supposedly, the Witchers believe that the "surprise child" would NOT need to undergo the trial of the grasses to get witcher powers. So maybe Ciri does indeed have all the same mutated qualities that a standard witcher has because magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Sharmat posted:

I've got a vague idea for a system in my head but writing video game mechanic fanfiction is probably really stupid so I won't go into more detail than I already have.

Yeah it's dumb fanfiction I wanna read. Ducking write it. We're already posting on an Internet forum about video games.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Lawnie posted:

Book spoilers re: Ciri: There is supposedly a Witcher prophecy that says a "Surprise Child" (Geralt meets Ciri after helping someone who promises him "the thing you find at home you weren't expecting" which happens to be a 12 year old girl Geralt has met before). Supposedly, the Witchers believe that the "surprise child" would NOT need to undergo the trial of the grasses to get witcher powers. So maybe Ciri does indeed have all the same mutated qualities that a standard witcher has because magic.

Where does this bit of information pop up? I wouldn't be surprised if world-hopping blood did do something like that though...

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lawnie posted:

Witchers believe surprise kids have better chances to survive, because fate and stuff, not that they don't need mutations to get those powers. Although maybe it's just a feel good thing for witchers, so killing most kids don't weigh them down with guilt. Ciri has magical powers which are another thing altogether.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 27, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Anyone know where I can find/buy Bisongrass? The Pellar doesn't have it, and I'm in NG+ with still some basic oils (like beast) which require bison grass.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fishstick posted:

Anyone know where I can find/buy Bisongrass? The Pellar doesn't have it, and I'm in NG+ with still some basic oils (like beast) which require bison grass.

The halfling east of Oxenfurth has some, and the master dude on Skellige.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't think Ciri should be a Witcher at all because by most accounts its a lonely and lovely life.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

FauxGateau posted:

Yeah it's dumb fanfiction I wanna read. Ducking write it. We're already posting on an Internet forum about video games.

Basically the idea is a little like the game The Void. In that game, doing anything required "Color" a magical substance with varying properties depending on the color. Doing attacks and spells required it. You had multiple hearts that you could fill with varying colors to spend for these things. Yet at the same time, just having your hearts filled with Color gave you passive stat bonuses, depending on what color it was. Faster movement spead, stronger attacks, more efficient color processing, etc.

So say Ciri started getting her magic back. The way magic use is explained in Blood of Elves (and one of the only times it's explained in any detail, actually) is that the Power can be drawn from one of four elements, corresponding to the classical Greek elements: Earth, Fire, Water, Air. Any mage can draw on any of these elements with the proper training, though they tend to specialize. Furthermore, any element can be used for any thing. Power is power. So you could draw on Water to cast a fireball, for instance.

That said, the elements do behave differently, in how you draw and channel them. Earth is stubborn, hard to draw from. Air requires a ton of finesse, difficult to get any power out of. Water is what Ciri is initially trained with and seems to be Yen's specialty. Fire...fire is actually very easy to draw from. Too easy. It's addictive and behavior altering. Hard to control.

So instead of just casting signs with stamina, Ciri could power any spells she learned with the Power, drawn from the elements nearby(and probably intersections as well, which would be in specific regions of the game world and offer temporary stat boosts in addition to a ton of Power). However you have to draw this power beforehand. It takes concentration and time. You can't just do it in the middle of a fight. And spending more power than you've got is entirely possible, but the deficit is taken out of your own life force. This is how Yennefer died at Rivia. In her desperation to heal a dying Geralt, she overdrew and killed herself.

Further, the magic system would double as a replacement for the potion system. The game would keep track of the sources of Power you'd drawn from. Draw more Water, and Stamina regeneration for parrying and dodging might go up, say. Drawing from Earth might passively increase the power of your attacks. So you have the mechanical choice of keeping stuff topped up for stat boosts vs. spending it for more devastating spells and abilities. Perhaps even doing so in desperation attacks that spend more than you drew and takes the difference out of your HP, rather akin to overdosing on poion. All kinds of things could be done wit it. Perhaps drawing higher amounts from some elements has downsides as well as bonuses? Who knows?

That's not even going into whatever her Elder Blood ability tree would do.

So yeah a bit rambling, but I think there's a lot of potential, with a bit of creativity.

Pyromancer posted:

Witchers believe surprise kids have better chances to survive, because fate and stuff, not that they don't need mutations to get those powers. Although maybe it's just a feel good thing for witchers, so killing most kids don't weigh them down with guilt. Ciri has magical powers which are another thing altogether.

Geralt specifically says the belief is they wouldn'tneed the Trial of the Grasses. Though not necessarily because they'd be just as fast and strong without it. Probably because of other reasons. Which Ciri displays.

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't think Ciri should be a Witcher at all because by most accounts its a lonely and lovely life.

It's the life she wants. Plus she's a lot less obviously a mutant so wouldn't have the stigma the other witchers face.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
NEW GWENT CARDS IN DLC!!!

NEW GWENT CARDS!

GWENT!!!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JetsGuy posted:

NEW GWENT CARDS!

GWENT!!!

The only better news would be Iorveth.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The whole appeal of playing as Ciri was about how powerful she was when compared to Geralt, if they needed to nerf her for the new game giving us tedious game mechanics like drawing from the elements etc. that replace the old ones because otherwise she would be too powerful then it doesn't sound fun to me.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a game with her - I would love that because I actually think the section where you cut every Wild Hunt elf in one slice was hands down the best combat they made in TW3. She even teleports to every enemy automatically which made it feel like an actual browler, it owned. So I'd rather see that system expanded with added combos and moves and agility and spells you can throw around instead of trying to make her play like Geralt with replacement mechanics. Create an even bigger threat than the Wild Hunt for her game and you can have tougher sections for her as well.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

JetsGuy posted:

NEW GWENT CARDS!

GWENT!!!

Goddamnit you made me check their site.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

The whole appeal of playing as Ciri was about how powerful she was when compared to Geralt, if they needed to nerf her for the new game giving us tedious game mechanics like drawing from the elements etc. that replace the old ones because otherwise she would be too powerful then it doesn't sound fun to me.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a game with her - I would love that because I actually think the section where you cut every Wild Hunt elf in one slice was hands down the best combat they made in TW3. She even teleports to every enemy automatically which made it feel like an actual browler, it owned. So I'd rather see that system expanded with added combos and moves and agility and spells you can throw around instead of trying to make her play like Geralt with replacement mechanics. Create an even bigger threat than the Wild Hunt for her game and you can have tougher sections for her as well.

So you just want a completely different game then?

I thought it would be a nice compromise between a rehash and moving it to a different subgenre, myself.

I didn't really think that was the whole appeal, myself. I liked that it was different, not that it was easier. I could have done with a bit more difficulty in her segments.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

NEW GWENT CARDS!

GWENT!!!

is this for the first paid dlc that comes out in october(?) ?

good!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It sounds like he wants the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance of the Witcher series...

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Snak posted:

It sounds like he wants the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance of the Witcher series...

I'd be cool with this.

Xenovox for codec calls.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Superstring posted:

I'd be cool with this.

Xenovox for codec calls.

Speaking of xenovox, one thing that bugged me is that when Keira gives you the xenovox, Geralt is like, is this two way, or how do I use it and she's like "ur not a mage so you can't use it" and then when you get back from Fyke Isle, she's like "why didn't you call me on the xenovox!"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

So you just want a completely different game then?

I thought it would be a nice compromise between a rehash and moving it to a different subgenre, myself.

I didn't really think that was the whole appeal, myself. I liked that it was different, not that it was easier. I could have done with a bit more difficulty in her segments.
I didn't want to sound like I'm dissing your idea, everybody sees something different they liked about the game. I just feel like even at its best Witcher 3 still has problems with combat and then suddenly they were able to nail it with Ciri mostly because they found a way to fix the movement problems with teleportation and everything ended up being better because of this.

I'd still like this game to stay an RPG with all the items and systems etc. but I also feel like using Ciri would open a possibility for the game to be more action oriented and with more direct control in the direction of Batman games which also feature a protagonist greatly overpowering his opponents and which has a robust unlock system while staying fun.

I would still like to have level ups, experience points, inventory in the same form as before but replace the potions, signs and bombs with unlocked combos and spells and just go all in into making it a brawler, get rid of monster levels while you're at it too and make experience only influence new ways to kill them.

Snak posted:

That would unironically own, Ciri is a god and they should let her be that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ciri isn't a god, though.

And I think that Ciri gameplay in the last segment would be boring as gently caress. It's just godmode. It's only good for novelty value when it comes around in the actual game.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

And I think that Ciri gameplay in the last segment would be boring as gently caress. It's just godmode. It's only good for novelty value when it comes around in the actual game.

Right, which is why I dont get wanting her as the next protag. It would have to be some lame thing about her losing all her powers and getting them back or she would have to be fighting like superman and poo poo.

also you just said she isnt a god but playing as her was godmode...

e: i mean i have faith CDPR would make it awesome if they went that way, but there would be real issues with the gameplay

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
A Ciri game would be her stumbling through various crazy worlds always a step ahead of the Wild Hunt.

Make it happen.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

poopzilla posted:

Right, which is why I dont get wanting her as the next protag. It would have to be some lame thing about her losing all her powers and getting them back or she would have to be fighting like superman and poo poo.

also you just said she isnt a god but playing as her was godmode...
It doesn't have to be that way though. I don't understand actually wanting it that way.

Her being Godmode in that one segment is a temporary gameplay contrivance that offers some catharsis towards the end game. Caranthir still fights her to a standstill and she has to run after his staff breaks.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah, i get what what youre saying. But Ciri losing her powers just seems lame to me personally. likewise her fighting other demigods or something also seems like a big departure

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She doesn't have to lose her powers.

There's a whole big middle ground between "Ciri loses all her abilities and is suddenly magically identical to Geralt" and "Ciri is the Goddess of Death 24/7 and now the game is Devil May Cry".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean, the part that everyone is talking about is during what is basically a mini-convergence of spheres, so it would make sense that her powers were essentially super-charged at that point.
The idea that some people think that Ciri becoming a Witcher means she's teleporting around in godmode just one-shotting monsters constantly is :psyduck:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't mean that she's literally a god of course, christ.

I also just wrote that I would like that system expanded and why particularly it was good (the movement system) and I explained in what ways and I gave examples of games that did it interestingly and in what direction it could go and for some reason you still go on talking like I'm saying the whole game should be Ciri one-shoting dudes into halves exactly 1:1 like that section.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I enjoy the teleporting a lot but I think to carry a whole game it needs to be more than Ciri automatically teleporting to each enemy and button mashing combos. That's just not a witcher game to me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I enjoy the teleporting a lot but I think to carry a whole game it needs to be more than Ciri automatically teleporting to each enemy and button mashing combos. That's just not a witcher game to me.

Well they could replace her normal teleport with a dash-step similar to Geralt's but faster, and then put upgrades to her dash-teleport and charge abilities in her skill tree.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Well they could replace her normal teleport with a dash-step similar to Geralt's but faster, and then put upgrades to her dash-teleport and charge abilities in her skill tree.

That's basically what her teleport is in the vanilla game if you aren't doing the charged version.

But yeah that sounds kinda cool.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Snak posted:

Yeah, the teleporting could be limited similar to the adrenaline system so that you still can teleport between dudes a few times to feel powerful but then it needs to be recharged and Ciri has to rely on normal movement, the limit would rise with leveling up.

It's also high time for the series to get predictable combat moves. The game already is very action-oriented but you don't control when Geralt does a piruet and when he doesn't, it's the biggest problem with the combat system and the game would gain a lot if it learned a thing or two from combo systems in brawlers that rely on predictability of how the character moves while still letting you do the piruets when you want it.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snak posted:

Yeah, I mean, the part that everyone is talking about is during what is basically a mini-convergence of spheres, so it would make sense that her powers were essentially super-charged at that point.
The idea that some people think that Ciri becoming a Witcher means she's teleporting around in godmode just one-shotting monsters constantly is :psyduck:

You know, Ciri gaining different buffs according to planetary alignments/constellation positions might be an interesting mechanic. If she has no witcher mutations, just replace alchemy with astrology...

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Yeah, the teleporting could be limited similar to the adrenaline system so that you still can teleport between dudes a few times to feel powerful but then it needs to be recharged and Ciri has to rely on normal movement, the limit would rise with leveling up.

It's also high time for the series to get predictable combat moves. The game already is very action-oriented but you don't control when Geralt does a piruet and when he doesn't, it's the biggest problem with the combat system and the game would gain a lot if it learned a thing or two from combo systems in brawlers that rely on predictability of how the character moves while still letting you do the piruets when you want it.

Except you basically do control when Geralt pirouettes and doesn't, for the most part. It's a range issue. I like to think of the combat as Souls Lite, as if you're too aggressive and don't deploy the correct strategy for a given enemy then you deserve to be penalized for it. Geralt is a bitchin fighter but it makes way more sense for him to be vulnerable to mistakes and for those mistakes to have much more serious consequences, and I think it makes for a much more entertaining battle system.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's a bit wonky in TW2 but I've never found Geralt particularly unpredictable in TW3.

Granted I actually liked combat in TW2 so apparently there's something deeply wrong with me.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Except you basically do control when Geralt pirouettes and doesn't, for the most part. It's a range issue. I like to think of the combat as Souls Lite, as if you're too aggressive and don't deploy the correct strategy for a given enemy then you deserve to be penalized for it. Geralt is a bitchin fighter but it makes way more sense for him to be vulnerable to mistakes and for those mistakes to have much more serious consequences, and I think it makes for a much more entertaining battle system.

I basically agree. Although if CDPR just straight up ripped off Bloodborne's combat i'd be totally fine with that :v:

It would also immediately become the greatest game ever

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Sharmat I liked your game idea and thought it was very cool.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I really don't pay any heed to the Ciri backstory because it seems like bullshit. As I haven't played Witcher 1 or 2, nor have I read the books, here is my tenuous grasp of who/what Ciri is:

* She manages to be an adoptive daughter to Geralt and Yen while her father Emyr is quite alive and well.
* According to some books, Ciri had a hand in events that predate the first Witcher game, back when Geralt rode with the Wild Hunt, which would suggest Ciri is older than she could possibly be come The Witcher 3. How could she be that miserable looking toddler in the portrait we see in Emyr's antechamber?
* It's suggested that Geralt and Yen raised Ciri from what could be considered her toddler age, yet Emyr sent her to Kaher Moren for *reasons* while she was a small child. Why would anyone knowingly give their daughter up to a witcher school?

Ciri is just all over the place in this game and comes off as a kind of Mary Sue Alpha.

fspades posted:

You know, Ciri gaining different buffs according to planetary alignments/constellation positions might be an interesting mechanic. If she has no witcher mutations, just replace alchemy with astrology...

Then it would take months before you could respec :shepface:

Protons fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 27, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well yeah when you deliberately ignore the character's backstory and the history of the setting and assume a bunch of dumb stuff to make her sound like a Mary Sue, Ciri does sound like a dumb Mary Sue, you're right.

Not sure where you got the idea that Geralt being a rider of the Hunt happened ages ago, either. It was like, two years ago, from the frame of reference of people in Geralt's world.

Emhyr did not willingly give Ciri to Geralt, either. Nor did Ciri even know he was Emhyr. This poo poo's really complicated though and the game doesn't even try to get across 7 books worth of backstory while also delivering it's own plot.

EDIT: Also Geralt and Yen didn't have Ciri until she was like 12. Not sure where the toddler idea came from.

Aren't there some in-game books that explain this stuff for people that are interested? I didn't read any of them because I already knew all the backstory poo poo.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 27, 2015

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Well yeah when you deliberately ignore the character's backstory and the history of the setting and assume a bunch of dumb stuff to make her sound like a Mary Sue, Ciri does sound like a dumb Mary Sue, you're right.

Not sure where you got the idea that Geralt being a rider of the Hunt happened ages ago, either. It was like, two years ago, from the frame of reference of people in Geralt's world.

Emhyr did not willingly give Ciri to Geralt, either. Nor did Ciri even know he was Emhyr. This poo poo's really complicated though and the game doesn't even try to get across 7 books worth of backstory while also delivering it's own plot.

EDIT: Also Geralt and Yen didn't have Ciri until she was like 12. Not sure where the toddler idea came from.

Aren't there some in-game books that explain this stuff for people that are interested? I didn't read any of them because I already knew all the backstory poo poo.

Also, it's worth mentioning that (at least as far as I've gotten in Baptism of Fire) Geralt and Yen never actually play house and coparent Ciri. Geralt finds her, finds her again, then she becomes his ward and they do poo poo together. Then Geralt lets Yen get her hands on Ciri. I would say they're less like her adoptive parents, more like the three of them relate to each other and care about each other in a familial way, given that none of them have any real family of their own left (and at least a pair of them aren't likely to need witcher condoms or w/e).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They're her adoptive parents, they just never got a chance to raise her at the same time because plot happened, despite their wishes. By the time Thanedd rolls around Geralt and Yennefer are all made up and seem determined to mutually do whatever they can to make things work together and with Ciri.

I mean Geralt outright considers Ciri his daughter, and Ciri calls Yennefer "Mother/Mama" multiple times.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

They're her adoptive parents, they just never got a chance to raise her at the same time because plot happened, despite their wishes. By the time Thanedd roles around Geralt and Yennefer are all made up and seem determined to mutually do whatever they can to make things work together and with Ciri.

I mean Geralt outright considers Ciri his daughter, and Ciri calls Yennefer "Mother/Mama" multiple times.

Oh I completely agree, but I guess what I didn't address is the implication that Geralt and Ciri are destined for each other, which thereby automatically wraps Yen up into it since her own fate is tied to Geralt's. So they're her adoptive parents, yes, but Geralt and Yen are also linked to her by other forces outside of "we like this kid and wish to be a family together."