Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

EricFate posted:

What do you consider to be a 'Not Terrible' combat system?

AD&D 2E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Dang.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

gotta troll harder

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sorry that BG2 has way better combat.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
You arent even trying anymore.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I agree, it was better when fighters had only one thing to do, chanters bards were borderline worthless, and you had no way of protecting your mages from getting melee rushed other than having them run in circles unable to actually contribute to the fight at all.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm sorry that you guys never learned to play the game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you overlook everything bad about the combat in BG2, it was better than POE.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Str 15/Dex 10 and Str 10/Dex 15 are functionally identical. Compare that to something like Shadowrun where investing 5 points in one over the other requires you to drastically alter your approach to combat. Meaningful choices versus meaningless ones.
What is Shadowrun running on? Class-less system or class-based?

The main thing I would change about Pillars of Eternity are the skills. Have way more of them and make them play a role in dialogues rather than the attributes.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I agree, it was better when fighters had only one thing to do, chanters bards were borderline worthless, and you had no way of protecting your mages from getting melee rushed other than having them run in circles unable to actually contribute to the fight at all.
Okay funny thing about that, I don't remember enemies in BG2 being that smart, they would always stop and try to hit the first thing they bumped upon, namely my fighters.

And yes, the only fun classes to play in BG2 were the casters. Well except perhaps for rogues and the shadow rangers when you managed to pull off a stealthy assassination, but that was rare.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sassassin posted:

How each character plays is based on, in rough order:

Class
Equipment
Level
Skills
Talents
The RNG
Your attributes

Str 15/Dex 10 and Str 10/Dex 15 are functionally identical. Compare that to something like Shadowrun where investing 5 points in one over the other requires you to drastically alter your approach to combat. Meaningful choices versus meaningless ones.

It's a boring, safe system that prevents the player from accidentally creating a bad or even sub-par character. It's a valid approach, and in a sense "well designed", but let's not pretend it's objectively good or at all interesting.

Uh, in Shadowrun your points are literally your class. And once you've picked what you want to do then it's just a matter of dumping Karma into the three or four stats that make-better the stuff you want to do.

And any combat system that relies for challenge on whether or not the player front-loaded a bad character by mistake is a bad system.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, to be honest I love the PoE system since it's much better than most in the genre, but I sometimes wonder if maybe PoE shouldn't have just dumped attributes completely, or locked their values to classes. The effects they have are all minor and indirect and probably could have been better represented by additional selectable talents... in fact, most of the stat benefits *are* represented already by talents.

They are honestly pretty superflous and the probably the worst part of the mechanics system but it's not actually a big deal because they are also easy to ignore and I think the other stuff is fun.

Ropekid, did you guys ever discuss just dropping attributes completely and decided to stick with them because that's just the way it's done/you thought they added value, or did the conversation just never come up?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

sassassin posted:

How each character plays is based on, in rough order:

Class
Equipment
Level
Skills
Talents
The RNG
Your attributes

Good, attributes are the worst thing D&D has inflicted on RPGs and should be destroyed.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Gyshall posted:

gotta troll harder

Yeah, Rifts would have been a much better answer.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Personally, I think FATAL was the height of skill, attribute, and combat design.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I would have preferred that they had dumped classes and just used attributes and skills/talents.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What is the trigger for White March? I've hit Defiance Bay and my party is level 5, so...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I hope the expansion part 2 replaces the entire game and mechanics just with the stat sheet rolling game from Baldur's Gate

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Are those 2 trolly guys Sensuki's heralds announcing his return?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

They are honestly pretty superflous and the probably the worst part of the mechanics system but it's not actually a big deal because they are also easy to ignore and I think the other stuff is fun.
I would disagree with that, they aren't superfluous for those who like to roleplay a character through the dialogue, as attributes are really the main think impacting those. Which, as I've said, I believe to be a flaw of the system.

Maybe we should just really have classes and skills, the former defining one's fighting style and the second having little to no effect on combat and focusing on the interaction with the world outside of combat.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think there's actually that many stat-related dialog choices as there are disposition. There are a number that just force a resolution but there's sooooooooooooo many disposition answers just for exposition.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Fuligin posted:

What is the trigger for White March? I've hit Defiance Bay and my party is level 5, so...

You need to acquire the keep.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Oasx posted:

I've done all of that and nothing is happening. What's supposed to happen?

edit: Also, how the hell would you get to Defiance Bay without acquiring the keep?

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Oasx posted:

Finish the first part of the main quest in Defiance Bay

Furism posted:

https://imgur.com/a/DJgnq

E: I found this on Reddit, so I don't know if there are more in the game.

There's also an estoc thats pretty rad and I think can bind to any class as long as the character can pull it from the stone

divx fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 27, 2015

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

divx posted:

Finish the first part of the main quest in Defiance Bay

Yeah, this is the actual trigger. Go "deal" with the Woedicans in the Catacombs and and you'll get the message that the Steward wants to talk to you when you exit the Catacombs.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone find any soul bound guns?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

XenoCrab posted:

Yeah, this is the actual trigger. Go "deal" with the Woedicans in the Catacombs and and you'll get the message that the Steward wants to talk to you when you exit the Catacombs.

Awesome, thanks.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

I get what you're saying, but I like this way. In D&D games, attribute selection terrifies me because I can screw myself over so badly. I feel in this system that I can use attributes to emphasize a certain playstyle in combination with skills and know that I'm not making some terrible mistake that will bite me later. Then again I'd be OK with discarding attributes entirely in favor of some skill or talent-like system.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Mozi posted:

I get what you're saying, but I like this way. In D&D games, attribute selection terrifies me because I can screw myself over so badly.

This. I think it's easy to take it for granted when you're on your 10th run of BGII, but that system basically necessitates that you either know the D&D rules already, go on the internet and look up character builds, or just dive in and then miss out on content or get frustrated with your lovely sub par character.

Some people find that fun I guess, and that's cool, but personally I don't really want to get partway into a 30+ hour game and find out I can't equip the Badical Sword of Radness +6 or defeat Evil Lord Loot Pinata because I didn't know to give my dude 18 strength instead of 15.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Question : when people say that you can easily screw yourself over in D&D as far as attribute selection goes, are we talking about day-to-day combat or the requirements set on talents and weapons and spells? Because sometimes it feels like only the later really matters and if you took that away, then you would pretty much end up with the same system than PoE.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The most offputting thing about POE is when you step out of Cilant Lis, level up, go into the menu and end up picking +5 accuracy against distant enemies and wonder what the point of it all is. I'm not excited about the character I'm going to be crafting. Most of the options are just small incremental improvements that you won't really notice if you didn't have the character sheet in front of you.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

turboraton posted:

Are those 2 trolly guys Sensuki's heralds announcing his return?

was that the guy who poopsocked the alpha and beta builds giving giant feedback posts that more or less shaped the game mechanics, only to declare how bad the game sucked on release?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

X_Toad posted:

Question : when people say that you can easily screw yourself over in D&D as far as attribute selection goes, are we talking about day-to-day combat or the requirements set on talents and weapons and spells? Because sometimes it feels like only the later really matters and if you took that away, then you would pretty much end up with the same system than PoE.
Both. The problem with the old days of stats systems is that you can put points in places where they literally do nothing because of various break points or in places where the stats don't actually matter to your class (e.g., int on a sorcerer).

Honestly I've yet to see a stat system I actively like. PoE's is probably the least offensive to me in that I put it out of my mind ASAP once I create.

I absolutely *detest* Shadowrun's stat (or whatever we want to call it; everything related to karma) system yet I still love the CRPGs a lot.

Gyshall posted:

was that the guy who poopsocked the alpha and beta builds giving giant feedback posts that more or less shaped the game mechanics, only to declare how bad the game sucked on release?
Yeah but he's still honestly did more good than harm at the end of the day. He's a troll at heart though so yeah

I don't think he shaped as much as people think. He did find a lot of bugs though

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 27, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My most offputting thing was when I bought Tall Grass in Dyrford Village and realized "This is it, this is the last weapon I'm ever going to have, I'm just going to upgrade this loving vendor weapon for the rest of the game" and then I was right.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

The most offputting thing about POE is when you step out of Cilant Lis, level up, go into the menu and end up picking +5 accuracy against distant enemies and wonder what the point of it all is. I'm not excited about the character I'm going to be crafting. Most of the options are just small incremental improvements that you won't really notice if you didn't have the character sheet in front of you.
Are we still comparing PoE to BG2 here?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My most off-putting moment is every level you have to pick from the general talent pool. The class talents usually have at least some fun stuff (except chanter but they get to pick phrases and stuff so that's fine). The general talents are definitely a snooze fest. I pick the same ones every game at this point.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do I need to load a save before the point of no return to play the dlc?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Whether or not you can return once you cross the point of no return is a question that has vexed theorists and philosophers since time immemorial

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Kurtofan posted:

Do I need to load a save before the point of no return to play the dlc?
Yes, but we do create an auto-save when you're at the end.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I have discovered a terrible bug in the expansion! My zombie cat is breathing. It's freaking me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just started a new game for White March, I thought there was supposed to be an option to decide whether or not to scale White March to my level or something? Is there a pop-up when I get there or...?

Also what classes are the new companions?

e: oh and I can't seem to find the NPC AI screen? Am I legally retarded?

• Locked thread