Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think the issue is that the human player has to actually check those resources and that introduces a delay, whereas the AI automatically knows and can jump the weak target immediately.

Yeah, I have to search out information to find openings like that, the AI just knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Torrannor posted:

Is the culture of your child's tutor Ethiopian? Or perhaps it's the "ethnicity" status you can only see with charinfo enabled? Mixing light-skinned and dark-skinned races often produces some kind of Middle-Eastern ethnicity, the game doesn't handle that very well.

No, I tutored her myself. :shrug:

Best I can figure is my character has some turkish blood in her somewhere? She did start the game as Countess of Prusa.

ETA: You can see at the bottom of the screenshot that all of her other brothers and sisters were dark skinned. Charinfo says they're of Ethiopian ethnicity.
Googling the issue says that the game prefers to default to Turkish when trying to create a bi-racial baby.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 27, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DoubleNegative posted:

No, I tutored her myself. :shrug:

Best I can figure is my character has some turkish blood in her somewhere? She did start the game as Countess of Prusa.

ETA: You can see at the bottom of the screenshot that all of her other brothers and sisters were dark skinned. Charinfo says they're of Ethiopian ethnicity.

Yeah, that's just how the game handles mixed-race people. The offspring of a dark-skinned and light-skinned person is given some shade of skin in between. Sometimes they can be fully black, sometimes they can be fully white, sometimes something in between. Frankly it's a bit of an anomaly that all her siblings ended up fully "Ethiopian."

Anyway, "ethnicity" doesn't affect anything other than character portraits.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bloodly posted:

The bolded: do these still apply if there's a religion/culture mismatch? Are they forced to accept?

I've had non-culture, non-religion (but same religious group) tributaries join my wars. I don't know if they are forced to join or if they are just extremely likely to join.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I've definitely gotten wrong culture/religion tributaries to join my wars. It's very unlikely that they will not. They're also much less ornery than regular vassals.

edit: kinda beaten. I think it is possible for them to turn you down but the "Tributary" modifier for their decision is a pretty hefty weight

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Well, that was hands-down the most ridiculous bullshit I've ever encountered. Five months in, just before the ironman autosave, boom, 8,000 man peasant revolt. Then they get reinforcements twice (Once after taking that shot, resulting in 24k mans), as if I wasn't getting stomped hard enough. I lose once, reload the autosave, manage to quickly finish one of my wars and declare peace, surrender to the peasant revolt, and get ANOTHER game over for becoming head of a theocracy (I forgot to hand out the minor baronies first). I'm not trying a third time. :argh:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 27, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just had a syphilitic, lunatic leper take 3rd place in the Grand Tournament.
That makes a wonderful mental image.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Is there a specific part of the LPs that go into identifying threats and preventing massive civil wars? Anything beyond just "keep everyone happy"?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FutonForensic posted:

Is there a specific part of the LPs that go into identifying threats and preventing massive civil wars? Anything beyond just "keep everyone happy"?

Sometimes they're just inevitable. No matter how happy everyone is with your current ruler, as soon as they croak they'll be right back to hating their replacement thanks to the short reign penalty (and if you've got low crown authority this ALSO means factions will become proportionally stronger since your vassal levies will be much smaller). The main tactic isn't so much prevention as it is preparation - if your ruler is getting old or starts stacking up a lot of negative health traits, try not to get involved in any big wars that will eat up your personal levies or retinues. Try to save up enough money to hire a few mercenaries if you need them.

For longer term management, you want to try to keep an eye on your direct vassal's power - especially if you have below medium crown authority and they can directly seize land from each other (although medium CA doesn't totally solve the problem - they still know how to arrange marriages to inherit land outside their domain). If one of them starts to get really strong, don't shy away from getting heavy handed with them and retracting vassals/revoking titles. Your vassals will get pissy but if you're a long-term ruler they won't get pissy enough to revolt and it'll all be forgotten when you die anyway. It might upset your pretty borders if you start taking away their de jure territory but that's the price you pay for stability.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FutonForensic posted:

Beware:

- Ambitious people (they will almost always be heading or part of factions even with a high opinion of you)
- Lunatics (who will try to assassinate random people for no reason, including you)
- Vassals of different culture and especially religion
- Basically any duke-level vassal who has more than four counties

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I've put more than 500 hours into this and I've only been assassinated three times, and I've had no idea why it happened. One of those times was literally a month after a new king got crowned.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Beware:

- Ambitious people (they will almost always be heading or part of factions even with a high opinion of you)
- Lunatics (who will try to assassinate random people for no reason, including you)
- Vassals of different culture and especially religion
- Basically any duke-level vassal who has more than four counties

If you make sure all dukes are dynasty members they'll almost never plot against you unless ambitious or insane.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I tried googling this but got nothing, maybe I just don't know the right phrasing. Is there a way to make it so that the duchy/kingdom/empire labeling text stays at the smaller levels at a decreased zoom? Playing around Mecca and I've gotten it enough that I can't zoom out to see all my territory without the huge ABBASID EMPIRE erasing everything

(real answer: play at fullscreen you scrub, but I really don't like fullscreen since I have only one monitor)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hadaka Apron posted:

I've put more than 500 hours into this and I've only been assassinated three times, and I've had no idea why it happened. One of those times was literally a month after a new king got crowned.

I had my character assassinated once, and the first thing that happened when I went over to his heir was a popup saying "The assassination was a success!"

e:

Tendai posted:

(real answer: play at fullscreen you scrub, but I really don't like fullscreen since I have only one monitor)
Single-monitor scrub! Buy a second monitor secondhand from a university's property disposition on the cheap, they're a good place to go for that sort of thing.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 28, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

I had my character assassinated once, and the first thing that happened when I went over to his heir was a popup saying "The assassination was a success!"

e:

Single-monitor scrub! Buy a second monitor secondhand from a university's property disposition on the cheap, they're a good place to go for that sort of thing.
I'm 40 minutes away up a mountain from the nearest movie theater, much less a university :saddowns: Dang. I guess I'll just stick to Europe in the future.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Dareon posted:

I lose once, reload the autosave, manage to quickly finish one of my wars and declare peace, surrender to the peasant revolt, and get ANOTHER game over for becoming head of a theocracy (I forgot to hand out the minor baronies first). I'm not trying a third time. :argh:

OK, can someone explain in simple words how you can accidentally become head of a theocracy?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BrainParasite posted:

OK, can someone explain in simple words how you can accidentally become head of a theocracy?
I'm also curious about this

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm not sure precisely why it happened, other than I was personally holding a church after winning a conquest war and hadn't handed it to a minor baron because my entire army was getting murdered, I want to sue for peace immediately!

It shouldn't have happened, especially since I was under the impression the new government type update was supposed to fix that problem. It's just in the reshuffling when I lost the County of Nantes, it saw I had a church and was like "You can't be a pope, gently caress off."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sometimes they're just inevitable. No matter how happy everyone is with your current ruler, as soon as they croak they'll be right back to hating their replacement thanks to the short reign penalty (and if you've got low crown authority this ALSO means factions will become proportionally stronger since your vassal levies will be much smaller). The main tactic isn't so much prevention as it is preparation - if your ruler is getting old or starts stacking up a lot of negative health traits, try not to get involved in any big wars that will eat up your personal levies or retinues. Try to save up enough money to hire a few mercenaries if you need them.

For longer term management, you want to try to keep an eye on your direct vassal's power - especially if you have below medium crown authority and they can directly seize land from each other (although medium CA doesn't totally solve the problem - they still know how to arrange marriages to inherit land outside their domain). If one of them starts to get really strong, don't shy away from getting heavy handed with them and retracting vassals/revoking titles. Your vassals will get pissy but if you're a long-term ruler they won't get pissy enough to revolt and it'll all be forgotten when you die anyway. It might upset your pretty borders if you start taking away their de jure territory but that's the price you pay for stability.

To add to this, if you're well prepared then a revolt isn't always the worst thing in the world--if you're sufficiently ready that you can put down a faction revolt you'll get a sweet +25 Crushed a Major Revolt bonus to all vassals, which tremendously helps mitigate the Short Reign malus.

And of course it should just be an ingrained habit that whenever you take over a new ruler you review who dislikes you, parcel out honorary titles and some bribes if you can afford them (but weigh the cost of the bribes against whether you can get away with letting them revolt and hiring mercs to help crush them--again, that +25 bonus is great, plus you'll get a chance to take that ambitious rear end in a top hat faction leader down a peg). And definitely hover over the opinion of everyone who dislikes you--I've often discovered he's pissed because there's a barony or county he wants and he can be made happy if I give it to him.

Note I said check out the guys who dislike you. If they hate your guts (opinion lower than about -20) there's no point worrying about them, nothing's going to make them happy. Almost always if someone hates you that much then they're Ambitious (and probably also Envious) and/or they were right behind you in line for succession.

The threshold where a vassal becomes eager to join factions seems to be at anywhere below about 40. If you can't boost him up past that point, don't bother.

Oh, and never ever have an Elusive Shadow vassal if you can help it. Hire your Spymaster from outside.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 28, 2015

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

If you make sure all dukes are dynasty members they'll almost never plot against you unless ambitious or insane.

Am I the only one that doesn't try to load up my own realm with my dynasty? Like, I feel my experience (~952 hours) is exactly the opposite of this. Powerful dynasty members always seem to look like great replacements for my ruler to other vassals. I totally enjoy marrying my dynasty off into other places, though, and getting crazy allies.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

pwnyXpress posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't try to load up my own realm with my dynasty? Like, I feel my experience (~952 hours) is exactly the opposite of this. Powerful dynasty members always seem to look like great replacements for my ruler to other vassals. I totally enjoy marrying my dynasty off into other places, though, and getting crazy allies.

I don't do it either unless I'm doing horse stuff because idk its cool to me.

I get really sick of some piss rear end uncle being placed on some pedestal for w/e reason and contending my kingdom.

I will have your head chopped off I don't give a gently caress.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pwnyXpress posted:

This only happens if your dynasty members are claimants to your titles. You deal with claim issues for a generation or two and now you have dudes who are Count of Shitholeistan and are your 8th cousin but still get a dynasty opinion bonus. This also allows every realm to do the insane vassals conquer poo poo for free thing, not just the Norse, because they'll be allied with all the rest of your dukes/kings and will be able to call in absolutely insane armies. On the plus side if your primary branch somehow gets dethroned and demoted to a count or whatever again, the same applies to you.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hadaka Apron posted:

The best time it ever happened to me was when I immediately got the "successful assassination" event upon assuming control of my heir. :v:

Someday
Mar 20, 2007
Somewhere
I want to maximize my number of troops. What type of holdings should I build in my demense? Do castles ruled by barons add to my levies?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Someday posted:

I want to maximize my number of troops. What type of holdings should I build in my demense? Do castles ruled by barons add to my levies?

Yes. You get considerably more if you control the holding yourself, though. You also get more troops in provinces that are de jure part of a title you hold. The optimal strategy for getting troops is to make your capital a max-holding province in a duchy, kingdom, and empire you have the title of, filled with castles you own, with any additional castles you can hold after that being in another province in the same duchy.

If you aren't minmaxing, though, then yeah, just building castles should be good, they provide more troops than cities or temples.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hadaka Apron posted:

I got assassinated as a six-year-old once. Nurse noo! :smith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If maximizing troops is your only consideration then you want as many baronies as possible stuffed into your capital with your Marshal on Train Troops duty. You'd prefer to hold extra baronies in your capital rather than extra counties in your home duchy.

However typically troops aren't the ONLY consideration. Income is a consideration too, and when you factor that in it's better to hold counties with vassal cities.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks for the advice on revolts, I'm doing much better at Byzantium now.

Almost mended the schism, just gotta get Jerusalem away from those blasted Abbasids :argh:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
And then Merchant Republics screw everything up because they can hold both castles and cities with no penalty-feudals get a harsh penalty to holding income and levies for something of wrong type. Muslims may also hold Temples, so you can potentially get the whole trifecta without penalty. But players don't like Temples as holdings. Not enough troops, not enough income. Peaceful rulers, though. Can't even make kingdoms on their own anymore-they're specifically forbidden. Theocracies are things you make inland, I guess, if you so choose.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So if you're playing single player and not trying to min/max the game does it make more sense to make cities over baronies? I've never really found it to be an issue either way, but I've always err'd on the side of baronies since I enjoy growing my dynasty and shoving 8th cousins four times removed into hereditary positions.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

This only happens if your dynasty members are claimants to your titles. You deal with claim issues for a generation or two and now you have dudes who are Count of Shitholeistan and are your 8th cousin but still get a dynasty opinion bonus. This also allows every realm to do the insane vassals conquer poo poo for free thing, not just the Norse, because they'll be allied with all the rest of your dukes/kings and will be able to call in absolutely insane armies. On the plus side if your primary branch somehow gets dethroned and demoted to a count or whatever again, the same applies to you.

There is a downside - getting called to every loving war wherever your relatives spread.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gantolandon posted:

There is a downside - getting called to every loving war wherever your relatives spread.

Not if you stay top dog on the dynasty pile, which should be easy if you use Primo and not elective, seniority, or tainistry.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Tanistry can be really fun, though, especially if you're on top of the political marriage scene and toss sons at female rulers too stupid to demand matrilineal marriage. All of a sudden, whoops, the King of Italy has been declared king of Ireland and a duchy in Poland. the Kingdom of Scotland, however, went to another old rear end in a top hat.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dareon posted:

Tanistry can be really fun, though, especially if you're on top of the political marriage scene and toss sons at female rulers too stupid to demand matrilineal marriage. All of a sudden, whoops, the King of Italy has been declared king of Ireland and a duchy in Poland. the Kingdom of Scotland, however, went to another old rear end in a top hat.

One of the most fun games I had was as an Irish empire running Enatic Tanistry, while all my vassals were family members running Agnatic Gavelkind. The dukes would jockey to get their daughters elected empress, and I took nothing to do with election and let things play out on their own. I had pretty much no trouble with vassals, and it was a nice change actually playing the dwarves and lunatics the dukes elected rather than mercilessly scheming myself to get the best candidate.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I marry my sister to the king of France and then she starts whoring it up publicly (seriously, like 5+ popups for catching my sister banging various men in about 5 minutes), will that have any effect on his opinion of ME since I'm related?

Because my sister is a whore. Woman, I married you up, we control one county. Control your libido.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tendai posted:

If I marry my sister to the king of France and then she starts whoring it up publicly (seriously, like 5+ popups for catching my sister banging various men in about 5 minutes), will that have any effect on his opinion of ME since I'm related?

Because my sister is a whore. Woman, I married you up, we control one county. Control your libido.

Nope. Unless the king gets a divorce, which I've never seen the AI do.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Nope. Unless the king gets a divorce, which I've never seen the AI do.
Sweet. Bang on, sis, we're good.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
The CK2 subreddit is unusually productive today:

quote:

A craven heretic homosexual detached priest and kinslayer was teaching a class on Al-Mansur Abbasid, known murder

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship the Abbasids and accept that they are the most highly-evolved beings the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, strong, brilliant strategist crusader who had served in over 100 holy wars and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decisions made by his liege stood up and pointed to a courtier.

”How powerful is your plot to kill this courtier, pinhead?”

The arrogant priest smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “450%, you stupid Catholic.”

”Wrong. It’s been 15 years since you started it. If it was at 450% power and your backers, as you say, are real… then he should be dead now”

The priest was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of the Qu'ran. He stormed out of the room crying those craven crocodile tears. The same tears heretics cry for the “kings” (who today have such power that vassals cannot wage war) when they jealously try to claw justly crown authority wealth from the deserving dukes. There is no doubt that at this point our priest, Louis Karling, wished he had pulled himself up by his sabatons and become more than a heretic detached priest. He wished so much that he had depression to kill himself from embarrassment, but he himself had the content trait!

The students applauded and all joined the Independence Faction that day and accepted the Pope as their religious head. An eagle named “Autonomous Vassals” flew into the room and perched atop the Cross and shed a tear on the chalk. The Magna Carta was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted gavelkind across the realm. The priest lost his tenure and was excommunicated the next day. He died of the consumption lover's pox and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Deus Vult.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I just totally lost my poo poo at "An eagle named “Autonomous Vassals”"

EDIT: Is the Game of Thrones mod fun for the additions it makes to the gameplay or is it a "you have to be a big fan to really like it" sorta deal? I've been playing around with CK2+ and enjoying it, and I've heard high praise for the GoT mod

Tendai fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why are all the custom merc companies tiny? Are they supposed to grow or what? Can I give them a boost in some way?

• Locked thread