Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Ixian posted:

I'd use mine mostly for fitness tracking, so I'd get a nylon band too probably. Google Fit has come a long way recently while Fitbit seems stuck - not a huge fan of their closed ecosystem so I will probably switch (to Googles' bigger closed ecosystem, I know). Plus I already have my chest strap heartbeat sensor and speed/cadence sensors for my bike hooked up through my phone (neither works with Fitbit) so...It also looks a lot more readable in general, a big drawback of the Surge.

How is it in bright sunlight/outdoors? I read it doesn't have an ambient light sensor?

I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting, but if you're expecting the heart rate or pedometer/activity tracking to be good, you're going to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

After two months of using the all steel 360 I think it is a no brainier at the 150 price point. I paid 180 and still think that was a good price for the surprising utility I am getting out of it, like spot on speech recognition and maps directions while driving on my wrist. Battery goes from 6am to midnight with about 30-40 percent remaining for me, ymmv.

Don't be one of those people who get the leather though, that combo looks like poo poo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Ixian posted:

Nice. I tried one on at Frys last night, it was actually a little smaller than I thought it would be (I wear a Fitbit Surge for workouts/bike rides so I am used to chunky poo poo I guess). I like the leather strap but the steel band looks nice - seems to be what everyone on Amazon is buying for them.

I'd use mine mostly for fitness tracking, so I'd get a nylon band too probably. Google Fit has come a long way recently while Fitbit seems stuck - not a huge fan of their closed ecosystem so I will probably switch (to Googles' bigger closed ecosystem, I know). Plus I already have my chest strap heartbeat sensor and speed/cadence sensors for my bike hooked up through my phone (neither works with Fitbit) so...It also looks a lot more readable in general, a big drawback of the Surge.

How is it in bright sunlight/outdoors? I read it doesn't have an ambient light sensor?

It works great in sunlight (I have the GWR which is identical) but unless you are loading up a phone app with Wear support (Several of them do) you are going get useless fitness tracking. Fit has come a tiny way but it is still borderline useless.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ixian posted:

It's as bright as anything else but I wouldn't call it good. On super bright days it can be hard to see. Apparently the Sony SW3 is the best for that but I've never used it. Ambient light sensor is more for dark situations when you don't want a flashlight on your wrist. It's nice but not worth a flat tire IMO.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Turnquiet posted:

After two months of using the all steel 360 I think it is a no brainier at the 150 price point. I paid 180 and still think that was a good price for the surprising utility I am getting out of it, like spot on speech recognition and maps directions while driving on my wrist. Battery goes from 6am to midnight with about 30-40 percent remaining for me, ymmv.

Don't be one of those people who get the leather though, that combo looks like poo poo.

I found the on-wrist navigation infuriating while driving but I like it for biking/walking.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Good to know about the fitness tracking (or lack thereof), thanks. I quickly graduated to a chest strap for heartrate (Wahoo TICKR) as well as a hip mounted pedometer (Withings pulse) a while ago after I realized that no all in one wrist mounted device was going to cover those bases, so I am not worried about that - I just want something I can use to glance at easily from time to time to get that info from devices and software that do a better job of it.

MapMyRide, for example, has a Wear app that works with their Smartphone app, which in turn connects to all my other gear (including a bluetooth speed/cadence sensor on my wheels - yes I am a fitness gearhead, so what) - with a decent smart watch I could avoid clipping my phone to my handlebar, which in addition to being Not Great for the phone is also hard to read and kills the battery on long rides.

So if the heartrate sensor/pedometer on the Urbane sucks, that's OK, I pretty much expect them all to, really. I'd be ok even if it didn't have it, I just like the way it looks, it's classy enough to pass for a regular watch. Better than my Surge, which in addition to being a fairly lovely regular watch also looks like a giant hunk of black rubber plastic on my wrist.

Google Fit, at least, will let you import/sync third part data like the Map series in to it, as far as I can tell - anyone have any experience? I might want to check another thread, I know.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you would rather get a G Watch R for $180 instead of a Moto 360 for $150, then this groupon link is for you:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-lg-g-watch-r-android-smartwatch-1

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

If you would rather get a G Watch R for $180 instead of a Moto 360 for $150, then this groupon link is for you:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-lg-g-watch-r-android-smartwatch-1

Yes to it this is what I paid for my G Watch R and it was well worth the money.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Won't be selling my Urbane for that much since I just put a permanent scratch in the metal bezel with my wood desk drawer. :( And I thought the band was driving me crazy.

edit: near the minute hand :qq: :qq: :qq:

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 25, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Won't be selling my Urbane for that much since I just put a permanent scratch in the metal bezel with my wood desk drawer. :( And I thought the band was driving me crazy.

My GWR had a nick on the screen you bastard.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

My GWR had a nick on the screen you bastard.

srs? I still have the photos I took, here's a 2,000 pixel wide shot of the screen

http://i.imgur.com/1oRTSrh.jpg

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

srs? I still have the photos I took, here's a 2,000 pixel wide shot of the screen

http://i.imgur.com/1oRTSrh.jpg

Yeah, it the tiniest tiny little pin sized nick that you can only see in just the right light if the screen is tilted just the right direction. Seriously no larger than the pointy part of a sewing pin. I think all the screens I own have a nick out of them as did my G Watch, I would have done it sooner than later. I was kidding, I really don't give a poo poo. I didn't think you were trying to pull something, I noticed it when I first got it in the mail and haven't noticed it since. You can still feel it if you rub your nail on the screen or tilt it in just the right way though.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 25, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CNET rumoring that there will be a variety of Wear devices shown at IFA next week:

http://www.cnet.com/news/next-wave-of-android-wear-smartwatches-set-to-make-their-debut/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would say for some devices maybe.

IFA isn't a big deal in the US so I would expect any US-centric product (like the Moto 360 2) to have its own press release in the US outside of the conference.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Do we have an ETA on wear on iPhone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

CNET rumoring that there will be a variety of Wear devices shown at IFA next week:

http://www.cnet.com/news/next-wave-of-android-wear-smartwatches-set-to-make-their-debut/

That's been the rumored announce date for the Moto 360 2 for a while. The current rumor for its actual launch is September 8th.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aw poo poo, an Android Wear Urbane LTE may be hard to ignore. I always preferred that design. The Canadian dollar has dropped 25% since I last bought a watch though so they better put it on the Play store.

A visual reminder

I hope they rename it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Reverse Centaur posted:

Aw poo poo, an Android Wear Urbane LTE may be hard to ignore. I always preferred that design. The Canadian dollar has dropped 25% since I last bought a watch though so they better put it on the Play store.

A visual reminder

I hope they rename it.

Are you talking about some new, unannounced Urbane LTE along with a new version of Android Wear?

Or are you unaware the LTE model doesn't run Wear, it runs a custom varient of WebOS. Android Wear doesn't support LTE radios. The LTE model is completely different, different apps, everything.

Also, it's thicker and heavier because it has a huge battery that doesn't last as long thanks to LTE. I can see the appeal of it, maybe, but proper LTE for wearables is a while off, I think.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ixian posted:

Are you talking about some new, unannounced Urbane LTE along with a new version of Android Wear?

Or are you unaware the LTE model doesn't run Wear, it runs a custom varient of WebOS. Android Wear doesn't support LTE radios. The LTE model is completely different, different apps, everything.

Also, it's thicker and heavier because it has a huge battery that doesn't last as long thanks to LTE. I can see the appeal of it, maybe, but proper LTE for wearables is a while off, I think.

The CNET article posted above says they're going to announce a Wear version at IFA.

quote:

LG, meanwhile, is expected to release a smartwatch similar to its LG Watch Urbane LTE, which the company showed off in March. The Urbane LTE ran on software called WebOS, which LG purchased from Hewlett-Packard to use on its own products; the new version will run on Android Wear.

The LTE thing isn't important to me, I always have my phone. I just like the looks. Chunky huge watches are great.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Reverse Centaur posted:

The CNET article posted above says they're going to announce a Wear version at IFA.

The LTE thing isn't important to me, I always have my phone. I just like the looks. Chunky huge watches are great.

Huh, missed that. Interesting - since Wear is supposed to be "stock" and not to be modified by OEMs I wonder how they managed it, unless they are the guinea pigs for across the board LTE support in Wear?

Still wouldn't buy it, it's a drag on battery in a device that really can't spare any as it is as well as yet another wireless bill, but I get that somebody out there would find it useful. They might as well throw a speaker in the thing too or at least a more complete BT radio for hands free, then it would basically be a tiny, crappier phone you wore on your wrist. Which, lets be honest, people would buy anyway.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Ixian posted:

They might as well throw a speaker in the thing too or at least a more complete BT radio for hands free, then it would basically be a tiny, crappier phone you wore on your wrist. Which, lets be honest, people would buy anyway.

This is exactly what I want in an Android Wear device. I wouldn't use the speaker for listening to music, but the idea of being able to use it as a speakerphone when driving sounds perfect to me. I can already answer calls from my watch, let me do the actual conversing from there as well, and have it automatically go into speaker through the watch any time you answer a call from there. A speaker would also open the door for audible alarms on the watch, which some people actually would be into.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

G-Prime posted:

This is exactly what I want in an Android Wear device. I wouldn't use the speaker for listening to music, but the idea of being able to use it as a speakerphone when driving sounds perfect to me. I can already answer calls from my watch, let me do the actual conversing from there as well, and have it automatically go into speaker through the watch any time you answer a call from there. A speaker would also open the door for audible alarms on the watch, which some people actually would be into.

Maybe this device you want will have a better solution than what Apple has, but I can never hear my friend clearly when he answers calls on his watch while driving.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ixian posted:

Still wouldn't buy it, it's a drag on battery in a device that really can't spare any as it is as well as yet another wireless bill, but I get that somebody out there would find it useful. They might as well throw a speaker in the thing too or at least a more complete BT radio for hands free, then it would basically be a tiny, crappier phone you wore on your wrist. Which, lets be honest, people would buy anyway.

You aren't the market, I know three people in the market for one of these right now. One of my friends is in education and it isn't practical for her to keep her cellphone with her at all times so she has to lock it up when she gets to school even though she is technically allowed to keep it.

The other two of us are runners and run with our cellphones for safety but would rather not, if we could get GPS tracking with a decent run app, bluetooth music and emergency calls/texts or hell, even non-emergency texts we are completely sold for I dunno, $500-$600.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

G-Prime posted:

I wish my watch would just beep sometimes. A super simple speaker (hell, one out of a digital watch) that can beep with alarms or beep to tell you your voice command was received would be great.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
We're not going to see Project Soli enabled watches until Q1 2016 at the earliest are we?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, it's looking like there truly is going to be a smaller 360 option.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/27/moto-360-small-and-large-pictured-on-wrist/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Reverse Centaur posted:

Another useless gimmick.

The only impractical thing about it is the idea that any of the current-gen watches are female friendly. Otherwise for narrow usecases it seems like the legit successor to Latitude in the way G+ Locations never really lived up to.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I really hoped that leaked case is the bigger version. 45mm is just way too big - I want to see some ~40mm designs.

The OG Moto 360 VS Moto360 small edition comparison leak looks promising:

As for a smaller vs larger 360 2015 comparison, the picture the Lenovo CEO leaked months ago is still the best reference:

Ixian posted:

Huh, missed that. Interesting - since Wear is supposed to be "stock" and not to be modified by OEMs I wonder how they managed it, unless they are the guinea pigs for across the board LTE support in Wear?

Could just be a feature of 1.3 which they haven't mentioned yet. Architecturally Wear is for the most part just Android with a different System UI/Launcher APK, so if it exists in phones the groundwork is already laid for it to exist on watches. The engineering effort really goes into exposing existing features in a way that makes sense e.g. Third party watchfaces are really just live wallpapers under the hood (which is why watchfaces were able to hack their way into being interactive before the official way).

I don't think excessive battery drain/poor battery life is a foregone conclusion, since it's likely that Google would implement it much the same way as Wifi - as a fall back for when bluetooth connection isn't possible. So if you used it like other Wear devices, this supposed Urbane LTE would pretty much be the Wear equivalent of the Motorola Maxx series (device with a huge battery).

Pork Pie Hat posted:

We're not going to see Project Soli enabled watches until Q1 2016 at the earliest are we?

It's part of ATAP, so it'll only get a roadmap into consumer technology once it moves out of ATAP.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The flat tire is still there. A full-circle screen would have been nice, but I personally don't care. Won't stop the endless bitching, though.

It's overall really nice and I might pick one up, especially if they finally improve the internals/screen. Too bad the Gear S2 is going to be lolTizen, I would be considering that one as well.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

The flat tire is still there. A full-circle screen would have been nice, but I personally don't care. Won't stop the endless bitching, though.

I never see the flat tire on my 360, I never understood why people get so upset about it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AnimalChin posted:

I never see the flat tire on my 360, I never understood why people get so upset about it.

It's annoying when you're using a watchface designed for a circular space (like most of the ones that ship with it.) If you've got a watchface that doesn't use that space you won't notice it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are plenty of choices out there without a "flat tire" now so if it bothers you, buy an Urbane or a something.

The stuff that the 360 gives you over those other watches is exactly why it has a flat tire, so there's no optimal solution right now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I didn't think the minor graphical tweaks in Android Wear 1.3 (LCA43/LCA44B) would make any difference, but I have to say I really like them, at least on my square Wear device. I really like the graphical look now with the full width info segments.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm probably the only one here who ordered the Rufus Cuff, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm probably the only one here who ordered the Rufus Cuff, right?

Regardless, it isn't an android wear devices so it would be discussed in the general wearables thread and not this one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Reverse Centaur posted:

Couldn't you (or someone who knows what they're doing) carefully buff that out? I mean it's a brushed metal texture anyway by the looks of it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Probably? I wouldn't want to try it myself, what kind of profession does that?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

Probably? I wouldn't want to try it myself, what kind of profession does that?

Any jeweler. An auto body repair shop if you are feeling exceptionally cheap/saucy.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I got myself one of thos LG G Watch Urbanes too now. Is it common for these things to charge 1% every 30 minutes?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Surprise! The Huawei Watch can now be preordered on Amazon for release on September 2.

Color choices:
Stainless Steel with Black Suture Leather Strap, $349
Black Stainless Steel with Black Stainless Steel Link Band, $449
Gold Plated Stainless Steel with Brown Suture Leather Strap, $699
Gold Plated Stainless Steel with Gold Plated Stainless Steel, $799

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Rastor posted:

Surprise! The Huawei Watch can now be preordered on Amazon for release on September 2.

Color choices:
Stainless Steel with Black Suture Leather Strap, $349
Black Stainless Steel with Black Stainless Steel Link Band, $449
Gold Plated Stainless Steel with Brown Suture Leather Strap, $699
Gold Plated Stainless Steel with Gold Plated Stainless Steel, $799

quote:

Compatible with most devices with an iOS 8.2 or Android 4.3 or later operating system