Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Man that guy has some issues, I had no idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It takes a special kind of crazy to think that not only are you the instrument of God's will, but that His will is a derisive fart.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

It takes a special kind of crazy to think that not only are you the instrument of God's will, but that His will is a derisive fart.

Old testament god did some pretty weird poo poo to people, I could see him laying down some gas on a community that pissed him off

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Finally getting to run through 97 WCW on the network. When did they take away Glacier's winning streak?

He's pretty DOA right now but he opened the show and I'm wondering when they just gave up on him (It's pretty clear that they've given up on him already).

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
It's crazy how long Glacier stuck around, he had some matches with Goldberg in mid 98. Like, why? They gave up on Mortis as a gimmick, they tweaked Wrath into "generic monster", why keep Glacier unchanged when he's not drawing an extra nickel to your show with that gimmick?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Finally getting to run through 97 WCW on the network. When did they take away Glacier's winning streak?

He's pretty DOA right now but he opened the show and I'm wondering when they just gave up on him (It's pretty clear that they've given up on him already).

His first singles loss was to Buff Bagwell on the 09-01-07 Nitro. IIRC he had already lost at least one tag match prior to this.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

AKMoose posted:

His first singles loss was to Buff Bagwell on the 09-01-07 Nitro. IIRC he had already lost at least one tag match prior to this.

:stare:

I'm up to his like third appearance on Nitro and it is clear that they already regret the character. And yet his win streak lasts a year. WCW was a magical thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DynamiteKidd posted:

It's crazy how long Glacier stuck around, he had some matches with Goldberg in mid 98. Like, why? They gave up on Mortis as a gimmick, they tweaked Wrath into "generic monster", why keep Glacier unchanged when he's not drawing an extra nickel to your show with that gimmick?

They spent a ton of money on Glacier and probably wanted to recoup their losses any way possible.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

AKMoose posted:

Imagine if Glacier losing to Buff meant that Buff got to inherit the gimmick. There could have been a whole new entrance theme based around the idea of icebergs being bigger down below than they are up top :allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Glacier was years in the making and they spent some ungodly sum at a Hollywood costumer to make the Glacier suit. Glacier was coming forever because they didn't want to kick off the NWO and the arrival of FUTURE SUPERSTAR GLACIER at the same time.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
It's amazing to think that Eric's other pet gimmick after the nWo was "supernatural karate warriors"

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

DynamiteKidd posted:

It's amazing to think that Eric's other pet gimmick after the nWo was "supernatural karate warriors"

I guess all that Mortal Kombat with the Boyz got him inspired.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

DynamiteKidd posted:

Lucha Underground owned bones so maybe Bischoff was just 20 years ahead of his time

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Glacier shoulda been big

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What's really amazing to think is that the nWo Nightcap set cost $70,000.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hell man my suit cost more than that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Glacier character was created to piggyback on the popularity of the Mortal Kombat movie...
which had already died down by the time he made his debut.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

DynamiteKidd posted:

I was wondering why the psp synchtube chat autocorrected 'Erik Bischoff' into Karateman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6gq2QIbz0

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I liked it when Glacier sold his entrance to Ernest The Cat Miller.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
The weekly Tuesday Nitro showings currently have us at a point where Ernest "the Cat" Miller actually has a singles push. He wins terrible matches and causes DQs in matches that are better by virtue of not having him in them.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I was wondering why the psp synchtube chat autocorrected 'Erik Bischoff' into Karateman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6gq2QIbz0

Front leg back kick.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Man, I feel old. But yeah, that's part of why (IMO) Austin 3:16 became so loving universal -- the John 3:16 guy was already everywhere and Austin himself has said that that guy was in his head when he was coming up with that promo.

But yeah, he was a loving nutter. You left out the best part,

quote:

Stewart was arrested in 1992 after a standoff in a California hotel during which he entered a vacant room with two men he was attempting to kidnap and surprised a maid who then locked herself in the bathroom. Reportedly, Stewart believed that the Rapture was due to arrive in six days. During the standoff, he threatened to shoot at airplanes taking off from nearby Los Angeles International Airport, and covered the hotel room windows with "John 3:16" placards.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Perdido posted:

Man, I feel old. But yeah, that's part of why (IMO) Austin 3:16 became so loving universal -- the John 3:16 guy was already everywhere and Austin himself has said that that guy was in his head when he was coming up with that promo.

But yeah, he was a loving nutter. You left out the best part,

Stories like these will never cease to amuse and terrify me in equal parts, mostly because I think of what John 3:16 actually says and then start to wonder how you get from that to shooting at airplanes in preparation for the Rapture.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Stories like these will never cease to amuse and terrify me in equal parts, mostly because I think of what John 3:16 actually says and then start to wonder how you get from that to shooting at airplanes in preparation for the Rapture.

Yeah, it's always surprising because he picked one of the most innocuous bits of the Bible.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Don't be so quick to judge. A friend of mine has a detail shop and makes great money, says it's relaxing work and even lets him spend much more time with his family than he could when he was a high-level Ford Motors logistics manager

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

RZApublican posted:

Imagine if Glacier losing to Buff meant that Buff got to inherit the gimmick. There could have been a whole new entrance theme based around the idea of icebergs being bigger down below than they are up top :allears:

Glacier did eventually go on a jobbing streak, get frustrated, and sell off the Glacier gear for pocket money. Unfortunately, it was to Kaz Hayashi and not the Buffmeister.

EDIT:

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 27, 2015

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Don't be so quick to judge. A friend of mine has a detail shop and makes great money, says it's relaxing work and even lets him spend much more time with his family than he could when he was a high-level Ford Motors logistics manager

The Auto Spa is also part of his Toyota dealership so he isn't that bad off.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

AKMoose posted:

Glacier did eventually go on a jobbing streak, get frustrated, and sell off the Glacier gear for pocket money. Unfortunately, it was to Kaz Hayashi and not the Buffmeister.

EDIT:

Kaz is underrated IMO

And speaking of, Brian Cage was bequeathed the Mortis gimmick by Kanyon in like 2007.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I guess now we know who's better than Kanyon.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
If anything Cage will die BEFORE 40 so he's getting poo poo done faster, at least.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DynamiteKidd posted:

If anything Cage will die BEFORE 40 so he's getting poo poo done faster, at least.

Brian Cages' real name is Brian Button, so he's probably slowly getting younger.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm pretty sure I saw pics of Glacier wearing the getup (including the mask and pauldrons and stuff) from an indie show a few years ago, so either he didn't sell it or he had it remade.

Probably the same quality for a lot cheaper, too. WWE's seamstress does amazing work and I doubt she spends thousands and thousands on her stuff.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw pics of Glacier wearing the getup (including the mask and pauldrons and stuff) from an indie show a few years ago, so either he didn't sell it or he had it remade.

Probably the same quality for a lot cheaper, too. WWE's seamstress does amazing work and I doubt she spends thousands and thousands on her stuff.

It was in a news article that I learned two things: It's the original suit, and he's playing Glacier in this upcoming low-budget parody of Saw starring Kevin Nash.

All the WCW costumes were made by this Atlanta special effects company. They've also done work for WWE it looks like since their props section has a stack of ECW microphone cubes and there's a photo of Kane on the masks page.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 28, 2015

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I know he teamed with Al Snow and a random guy for KoT once (the third guy was supposed to be Iceberg, AKA ROH's monster who got crazy go-away heat and disappeared, but he couldn't make it)

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

I know he teamed with Al Snow and a random guy for KoT once (the third guy was supposed to be Iceberg, AKA ROH's monster who got crazy go-away heat and disappeared, but he couldn't make it)

I thought he teamed with Los Ice Creams. But yes, definitely did a KoT.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Xerzes posted:

I thought he teamed with Los Ice Creams. But yes, definitely did a KoT.

He did two years. The first with Los Ice Creams. The second with Al Snow and D-Lo Brown. The second year, Al Snow ruined everything and it was awful.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was in a news article that I learned two things: It's the original suit, and he's playing Glacier in this upcoming low-budget parody of Saw starring Kevin Nash.

All the WCW costumes were made by this Atlanta special effects company. They've also done work for WWE it looks like since their props section has a stack of ECW microphone cubes and there's a photo of Kane on the masks page.

In the mask section you can also see that they made the mask for TNA's Rellik (that's killer spelled backwards)

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Welp, he sold me. I'm ready to embrace our next President, Big Sexy Kevin Nash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Benne posted:

Welp, he sold me. I'm ready to embrace our next President, Big Sexy Kevin Nash

Depeche Mode Fan Kevin Nash has better opinions on social issues than any GOP candidate.