Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
thinking about it more another thing that really helped me like S1 was that it had some pretty hosed up moments without going full dark and depressing the viewer becomes apathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

darealkooky posted:

this was kinda cool I guess but it doesn't really sit right with me. like wow the characters sure are amazing and godly that they can do this, but how can they really get challenged by anything ever outside of a superman-style "suddenly you don't have superpowers anymore lol" plot device.
You bring in the kryptonite.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

darealkooky posted:

The main thing I really liked about s1 is that it had a (mostly) coherent story. The three main girls all had proper arcs and the action scenes all had some underlying purpose to the story/characters at large and there were actually stakes involved (at least until the "everyone lives lol" ending but it's the sort of cheesy copout ending the story needed).

In s2 there's no real reason to care about whats happening. The main trio are pretty static because they already developed and they have to share the screentime with the new trio who really really suck and whine about the same poo poo every episode. There's no stakes because sugita doctor and the noise he summons are treated like a total joke by the characters, and all the plot twists get undone five minutes into the next episode. The music isn't as good, they made the transformation sequences less cool AND longer and the action scenes are just lots of poo poo blowing up for no real reason and with no stakes.

To me S1 felt like a show that felt like it had something it wanted to say, if maybe not the words or money to do it properly, while S2 just felt like a bunch of suits saw S1 made money and added a bunch of stuff to make the series more marketable.

darealkooky posted:

this was kinda cool I guess but it doesn't really sit right with me. like wow the characters sure are amazing and godly that they can do this, but how can they really get challenged by anything ever outside of a superman-style "suddenly you don't have superpowers anymore lol" plot device.

it was a pretty good spectacle but it wasn't that well done for me to appreciate it for that sake.

Based on these posts, my gut feeling is that you will probably like GX a whole lot more than G, because it has a coherent set of villains, the protagonists are challenged pretty severely, and it seems to have something to say re: character development for at least some of the cast.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
really? because I straight up turned the video off halfway through episode 3 after realizing how bored I was

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Nobody's blown up the moon yet. Someone should get on that.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

GX has felt a bit too by the numbers to me and too forced, but not enough spectacle to make up for it past episode 3.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I feel like Symphogear S1 had a really unique mood and pacing that elevated it above cliche action schlock. S2 was sort of a cargo cultish(sorry) retread that had the style, but none of the substance. Like you said the villain and plot made you not care, and any character development, for the new or old gears, stagnated due to the plot taking precedence. S3 also has not tried for anything too exciting, but the plot is at least serviceable, the villains are a credible threat, and it's actually exploring the characters' back stories and letting them interact, unlike S2. I think the token plot is an asset to a show that's this tongue-in-cheek anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

darealkooky posted:

really? because I straight up turned the video off halfway through episode 3 after realizing how bored I was

It's possible that the series might not be your thing anymore, which is OK. The three episode test is a pretty safe way to determine if any given show is to your tastes or not.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Here's another fun little thing related to Ignite Module transformations. In every transformation scene there's blink and you'll miss it moment with shadows of various beasts appearing around each of the girl. Here they are: Hibiki's, Tsubasa's, Chris's, Maria's and Shirabe's with Kirika's.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 25, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hibiki's is basically this one bonus monster you can fight in every Wild ARMS game.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
At this rate I'm waiting for Genjuro to reveal he is actually Knight Blazer.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The show is saved

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Oh my god those last 30 seconds before the ED.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
lmfao

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Everyone's favorite facial contortionist is backkkkkkkkk

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Lol, this didn't take long to appear.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Lol, this didn't take long to appear.

I can't wait for 2 hours from now now.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Ahahahaha.

AHAHAHAHA

Don't let me down Symphogear!

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
Beginning to 30 secs before ED: :v:

During the 30 seconds before ED: :tviv:

During ED:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Oh my god those last 30 seconds before the ED.

I gave myself a gigantic headache because I started laughing so loving hard.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

lets hang out posted:

The show is saved

Agreed.

HudsonFromAliens
Jun 14, 2012
I cant' wait to see the Symphogear users' reaction to Ver's reappearance. Also, we need an epic scene from Genjuro this season. My hope is that he manages to smack Ver around some or at least pulverize a few things.

Also, it would be kind of great if Carol just blasts Ver in half with her alchemy 30 seconds into the next episode and then continues with her plan like nothing even happened.

HudsonFromAliens fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 29, 2015

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I know this is the wrong show to apply any sort of logic to, but still: Tsubasa's family contains two guys deeply involved with high-level secret government stuff, do neither of them have the clout to get her (grand? what's the terminology here)father and his hosed up attempts to run his family like a feudal monarchy... dealt with?

HudsonFromAliens
Jun 14, 2012
Maybe before the "grand"father passed he was a high level government paper pusher as well. I mean, despite it being utterly icky, no real crime was committed here right? The "grand"father simply had sex with Tsubasa's mother (was there any indication that it wasn't consensual?) and essentially wrote that child into being first place in his will. He's not really that harmful aside from the tension that it would create on a personal level.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm so glad I'm doing a simulwatch with friends. We just finished the latest and kind of collectively shat our pants at those last moments before the ED rolled.

What an episode. I'm glad I couldn't see some of the stuff coming, since the whole "auto-scorer shows up, Symphogear user(s) activate Ignite Module and destroy them" thing was starting to feel too rote.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A big hats off to Chris for opting to fire a shitload of high explosives in all directions randomly while in a storage facility at the bottom of the ocean.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Kanos posted:

A big hats off to Chris for opting to fire a shitload of high explosives in all directions randomly while in a storage facility at the bottom of the ocean.

In a place used for storing incredibly powerful relics, no less.

Anyway, even though I spoiled myself on the twist before I watched the episode, Carol's face at the end of the episode still pretty clearly mirrored my own. That was such an absurd twist I can't wait to see how they justify it or show where it's going to go. I also have to say I'm liking Maria quite a bit this season. I'm not particularly sure why, but something about her is endearing. Would have to say she's my favorite of the six Symphogear users.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The reason I rather like Maria is that among all of the other users, she's the one who actually sits down, analyzes her problems.. and then makes a concentrated effort to be a better person on her own terms.

Even The Best Girl needs to be drug, kicking and screaming, through character development. Most others are actually .. kinda static. They're still FUN, don't get me wrong. But Maria is probably one of the most dynamic of the bunch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gearhead posted:

The reason I rather like Maria is that among all of the other users, she's the one who actually sits down, analyzes her problems.. and then makes a concentrated effort to be a better person on her own terms.

Even The Best Girl needs to be drug, kicking and screaming, through character development. Most others are actually .. kinda static. They're still FUN, don't get me wrong. But Maria is probably one of the most dynamic of the bunch.

I'm really hoping that all this hemming and hawing with Hibiki has some payout, because the original trio haven't been shining examples of character this season so far. Maria's gotten the lion's share of actual character development in GX and has been a good character because of it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kanos posted:

I'm really hoping that all this hemming and hawing with Hibiki has some payout, because the original trio haven't been shining examples of character this season so far. Maria's gotten the lion's share of actual character development in GX and has been a good character because of it.

I forget the source, but I think it was said that GX is to be thought of as a continuation of G; where G showed weakness in the FIS trio, GX gives them an opportunity to display strength. With that mindset, it kinda makes sense why the original three aren't getting as much development.

Then again, if they wanted that to be the aim, GX should've aired soonish after G in order to feel like a continuation of the prior season rather than a season of its own (if that makes any sense).

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah it was mentioned in this thread, not sure if by you or someone else, that this was supposed to be a continuation of the last season, not a new one. Makes sense that the original three got most of the spotlight in the previous one and this one focuses more on the other ones.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Sylphid posted:

That was such an absurd twist I can't wait to see how they justify it
This is simple. Ver is attached to an extremely powerful relic. And he's in a storehouse for extremely powerful relics, which is why he was put there. That just had a bunch of explosions shaking everything loose, which is why he is now free.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 1, 2015

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kylra posted:

This is simple. Ver is attached to an extremely powerful relic. And he's in a storehouse for extremely powerful relics, which is why he was put there. That just had a bunch of explosions shaking everything loose, which is why he is now free.

And now I have this mental image of Ver popping out of a trash can and putting on a silly hat with a cackle, 'After six months I am FREE! It's time to conquer EARTH!'

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

graybook posted:

I forget the source, but I think it was said that GX is to be thought of as a continuation of G; where G showed weakness in the FIS trio, GX gives them an opportunity to display strength. With that mindset, it kinda makes sense why the original three aren't getting as much development.

Then again, if they wanted that to be the aim, GX should've aired soonish after G in order to feel like a continuation of the prior season rather than a season of its own (if that makes any sense).

Demicol posted:

Yeah it was mentioned in this thread, not sure if by you or someone else, that this was supposed to be a continuation of the last season, not a new one. Makes sense that the original three got most of the spotlight in the previous one and this one focuses more on the other ones.

I knew about this, but I feel like Kirika and Shirabe haven't really had an opportunity to "display strength" despite having two full episodes devoted to them. I kind of get what they were going for with them(responsibility and maturity are just as important as power), but I don't feel that it was executed very well, possibly due to time constraints. I think they should have made a bigger deal of the two weakest symphogears managing to take down the strongest autoscorer but it was pretty much glossed over immediately.

Hibiki has had a bit of a slow-boil plot arc going for the entire season that I hope has a good payout. Tsubasa kind of got Hibiki's arc in turbo fast forward this last episode. Chris has gotten nothing besides a vague "I'm a bad senpai" thing so far, which I feel like they could have just left out altogether without losing anything.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Kanos posted:

Hibiki has had a bit of a slow-boil plot arc going for the entire season that I hope has a good payout. Tsubasa kind of got Hibiki's arc in turbo fast forward this last episode. Chris has gotten nothing besides a vague "I'm a bad senpai" thing so far, which I feel like they could have just left out altogether without losing anything.

True, but Chris already had quite a bit of plot stuff in the first season and G, so maybe they're trying to balance things out. Hibiki and Tsubasa never really had character-building stuff outside of Tsubasa learning to fight alongside Hibiki in the first season, at least from what I remember of the first two seasons.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sylphid posted:

True, but Chris already had quite a bit of plot stuff in the first season and G, so maybe they're trying to balance things out. Hibiki and Tsubasa never really had character-building stuff outside of Tsubasa learning to fight alongside Hibiki in the first season, at least from what I remember of the first two seasons.

Tsubasa had her (hilariously insane) arc of getting over Kanade's death in S1 and her little senpai mini-arc thing with Chris in S2. Hibiki had her entire relic fusion cancer/berserker mode thing across both S1 and S2.

I don't actually object to characters not having full plot arcs every season, though, because in a single cour show you literally don't have enough time for 6+ characters to have satisfying arcs AND have a major overriding save-the-world arc as well. In fact, I'd rather a character not have a plot arc at all(beyond "is there to help other people with their plot arcs") then to have a half-assed one, which is why I commented on Chris's weird "I'm a bad senpai" self-loathing thing she's mentioned once or twice.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kanos posted:

Tsubasa had her (hilariously insane) arc of getting over Kanade's death in S1 and her little senpai mini-arc thing with Chris in S2. Hibiki had her entire relic fusion cancer/berserker mode thing across both S1 and S2.

I don't actually object to characters not having full plot arcs every season, though, because in a single cour show you literally don't have enough time for 6+ characters to have satisfying arcs AND have a major overriding save-the-world arc as well. In fact, I'd rather a character not have a plot arc at all(beyond "is there to help other people with their plot arcs") then to have a half-assed one, which is why I commented on Chris's weird "I'm a bad senpai" self-loathing thing she's mentioned once or twice.

I feel like her self-loathing bit was also put in there as development for Kirika+Shirabe, actually - at least, the super-quick flashback of it in episode 8 was included in their little "everyone cares about us!" montage.
But I feel like their being included as an inseparable unit almost hurts their development as individual characters, in that the show has to kind of jam their development in at the same time. I wish there had been time available to focus on each of the two in turn rather than the super-quick fight, make up, power up, Wheel Of Morality microarc we got in episode 8.

Chris-wise, I expect to see some amount of focus on her in episode 10 given that Leiur is the last Autoscorer left, and how they're combat-paired in the OP. I suspect, though, that there will be split focus in order to remind us viewers of Hibiki's arc this season as well.

But then again, with the Last Action Hero/Man of Truth back in the mix, who knows what the hell's going to happen anymore (aside from the Chateau de Tiffauges likely being activated somehow).

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Crunchyroll has the first season up. Dunno if it's broadcast or Bluray version, tho.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Nice. Now if only they/someone could get G for the sake of being able to stream the entire series legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FortMax posted:

Crunchyroll has the first season up. Dunno if it's broadcast or Bluray version, tho.

Is this a new development? Because I didn't notice it until today and got annoyed with myself for not watching it before I started GX.

• Locked thread