Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Is Griffith gonna be pissed that somebody went after Rickert? I imagine he won't be happy about it.

I seriously doubt he would care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Rickert killing a bunch of apostles with increasingly over the top machines would own

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

i flunked out posted:

I seriously doubt he would care.
He might care insofar as he doesn't need a known former member of the original Band of the Hawk waltzing around town starting rumors or stirring up trouble, even if it's "Just" a kid like Rickert.

Then again, he didn't really seem to care about Guts back during the Black Swordsman arc or when they met at the field of swords, so yeah, Rickert might be beneath his notice.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rakshas is a wild card, really. As I mentioned earlier, his professed reason for helping Griffith is to eventually kill him, he went and showed Silat and the Tapasa the nasty stuff that was going on with Ganishka's experiments, he was hiding under Zodd's wing when they went to fight Ganishka, and now this. His agenda is a mystery beyond what he's stated; he could be doing this to help Silat and the Bakiraka despite his exile (sort of like he did with the aforementioned experiments), he could be trying to "help" Griffith as part of his weird long con, he could be working against Griffith by getting Rickert and others opposing him, or he could just be an rear end in a top hat who wants to kill someone. The guy's one of the most mysterious things in this comic, and that's quite the feat. We have next to no idea who or what he is. And then there's that theory that he's somehow connected to the Skull Knight, of course.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
All I know is that he's cool as gently caress and I'm super excited to read this chapter and any others with him in it (and all the others.) It's been ages since we've seen him in action and the wait has paid off.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm just glad Berserk is finally back.

Somebody should talk Togashi into releasing one chapter a month.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I had no idea who Rakshas was until last chapter. Then I had to go back and re-read the entirety of the epic Ganeshka takedown chapters to spot him.

Yep

Sure is him under Zod's wings

Goddammit.

It's seriously impressive that no character is truly forgotten in this series, and every "unimportant" side character stays involved. Hell, many of the king's generals are still around, like the guy who checked on the ongoing plague, and who almost recognized Guts as a member of the Hawks. I fully expect Ganeshka's wizard to gently caress things up somewhere down the line. Waaaaaay down the line.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

He might care insofar as he doesn't need a known former member of the original Band of the Hawk waltzing around town starting rumors or stirring up trouble, even if it's "Just" a kid like Rickert.

Then again, he didn't really seem to care about Guts back during the Black Swordsman arc or when they met at the field of swords, so yeah, Rickert might be beneath his notice.

I seriously doubt he would care about Rickert spreading info about what happened to the rest of the original Band of Hawk, I mean who at this point would actually believe Rickert over Griffith besides the people that Rickert's already with? The dude is pretty much a living god to the people of Midland, Rickert would probably be considered that crazy guy if he started telling people the truth about Griffith.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rakshas seems to be some sort of super-contortionist, maybe from Bakiraka training or maybe from training plus becoming an apostle. I kind of hope he's an apostle because i would like to see what his apostle form is. However if he's not an apostle that would also make sense, because i'm not sure any real apostles can actually oppose Griffith. Even Ganishka was reduced to kneeling before Griffith before he decided to go through that "double Apostle transformation" thing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

i flunked out posted:

I seriously doubt he would care about Rickert spreading info about what happened to the rest of the original Band of Hawk, I mean who at this point would actually believe Rickert over Griffith besides the people that Rickert's already with? The dude is pretty much a living god to the people of Midland, Rickert would probably be considered that crazy guy if he started telling people the truth about Griffith.

Yeah, dude formed a kingdom where people can commune with the spirits of the dead. It'd be like somebody saying Jesus betrayed and killed all his apostles to get superpowers

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I want to see Guts' face when people of Falconia tell him they don't care that Griffith raped Casca.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think Guts is delusional enough to think anyone gives a poo poo about his and Caska's plight. It's only fair, considering I'm pretty sure he similarly doesn't care if the Apostles go bugfuck and eat every Falconian citizens if he kills Griff, either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guts saves Caska and realises he doesn't want revenge and lives permanently on elf island. Rickert becomes the new main character

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jose posted:

Guts saves Caska and realises he doesn't want revenge and lives permanently on elf island. Rickert becomes the new main character

Surprisingly, I'd be ok with that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Miura would have to really sell the idea of Guts being able to let go of anger and hate. Berserk is kind of like an interrupted revenge fantasy, and Guts is way too hosed up to ever be able to let go of that stuff. He's pretty much past the point of no return at this point, even with all his new pals.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know, maybe it's because of the glacial publishing schedule, but Guts seems a lot more mature and calm now compared to his introduction in Black Swordsman. He's definitely less sadistic.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Maybe, but I think he's still spiraling downwards, just at a slower pace. Look at what he's doing to his body. It's not as violent as chopping his own arm off, which is probably the bloodiest show of his ability to self-destruct to hurt his enemies, but his body's falling apart and the berserker armor only worsens it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Berserk is actually back, holy poo poo

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

muike posted:

Miura would have to really sell the idea of Guts being able to let go of anger and hate. Berserk is kind of like an interrupted revenge fantasy, and Guts is way too hosed up to ever be able to let go of that stuff. He's pretty much past the point of no return at this point, even with all his new pals.

notZaar posted:

I don't know, maybe it's because of the glacial publishing schedule, but Guts seems a lot more mature and calm now compared to his introduction in Black Swordsman. He's definitely less sadistic.

My assumption is that, as it has been foreshadowed, Guts is following the same path as The Skull Knight and his choice going forward will be the one that decides everything. I assume the Skull Knight also had his "Casca" and that he chose revenge over saving her(or him/them), if she could be saved. At the same time, Schierke will also likely end up becoming Flora II, unrequited love and all. Thus, Guts will have to choose between living a reasonably normal life with Casca, or forsaking her to take up the nigh-impossible challenge of destroying the godhand + Idea of Evil*. Personally, I'd be very surprised if he did give up on Casca, because she has been his "Jiminy Cricket" for a while now, even if she actively hates him.

I'd say when(if) they get to Elf Island and if Casca can be returned, that will determine Guts' path going forward. If they fail, he might finally give up on her. If they succeed, and she has some strong opposition to him, I'm not sure how he'd take that. But if she is still in love with him after everything that's happened, I assume he'll cool down on his plans for revenge, for a short while at least.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Postal Parcel posted:

My assumption is that, as it has been foreshadowed, Guts is following the same path as The Skull Knight and his choice going forward will be the one that decides everything. I assume the Skull Knight also had his "Casca" and that he chose revenge over saving her(or him/them), if she could be saved. At the same time, Schierke will also likely end up becoming Flora II, unrequited love and all. Thus, Guts will have to choose between living a reasonably normal life with Casca, or forsaking her to take up the nigh-impossible challenge of destroying the godhand + Idea of Evil*. Personally, I'd be very surprised if he did give up on Casca, because she has been his "Jiminy Cricket" for a while now, even if she actively hates him.

I'd say when(if) they get to Elf Island and if Casca can be returned, that will determine Guts' path going forward. If they fail, he might finally give up on her. If they succeed, and she has some strong opposition to him, I'm not sure how he'd take that. But if she is still in love with him after everything that's happened, I assume he'll cool down on his plans for revenge, for a short while at least.

Maybe he'll have the elf king just wipe her memories or something, then settle down with demon baby and start a new life with Casca. Then Rickert can kill Griffith and save the day.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Definitely reread 290. The berserker armor caused his rage his rage towards Griffith to manifest as a spiritual entity. It's just laying low for the time being and it clearly stated it will wait until his new band ends up like the old one, which would only strengthen it. It's hard to imagine Guts will give up his quest for revenge entirely, so sooner or later it will be back. Guts tried to abandon those that he cares about (Caska) to keep them safe, before but that didn't work out very well either. And the apostles will hunt down the last two sacrifices, it's not like he can just decide to settle down.

Guts was an rear end in a top hat to everyone, but it was a way for him to deal with his emotions. He also used it to protect good people by pushing them away.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Piriwi posted:

Definitely reread 290. The berserker armor caused his rage his rage towards Griffith to manifest as a spiritual entity. It's just laying low for the time being and it clearly stated it will wait until his new band ends up like the old one, which would only strengthen it. It's hard to imagine Guts will give up his quest for revenge entirely, so sooner or later it will be back. Guts tried to abandon those that he cares about (Caska) to keep them safe, before but that didn't work out very well either. And the apostles will hunt down the last two sacrifices, it's not like he can just decide to settle down.

Guts was an rear end in a top hat to everyone, but it was a way for him to deal with his emotions. He also used it to protect good people by pushing them away.

~187-190 also show the first appearance of Guts' rage. The armor probably gave it a more corporeal form, hence the dog shape it takes, but it has been with him for a LOOOOOONG time.
I do see where you're coming from about him not giving it up, because Guts has always been characterized as a wanderer. Even in the alternate world where Griffith was still crippled and Casca's child was still alive, Guts had already left the coop to find a new challenge. He may just not be cut out for living for someone else.

If I could see this scene happen in future Berserk, I don't think I'd mind it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Piriwi posted:

He didn't push away that poor traveling priest and his daughter very hard :colbert:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
He pushed one of them with a really big lump of iron.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Torquemadras posted:

It's seriously impressive that no character is truly forgotten in this series, and every "unimportant" side character stays involved. Hell, many of the king's generals are still around, like the guy who checked on the ongoing plague, and who almost recognized Guts as a member of the Hawks. I fully expect Ganeshka's wizard to gently caress things up somewhere down the line. Waaaaaay down the line.

What about the daughter of the Apostle near the beginning of the series?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mraagvpeine posted:

Probably dead somewhere.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Obviously going to spend years offscreen turning into a burly bad rear end with spiky armor and a giant sword so she can pop up in chapter 999 to brutally murder Old Man Guts in front of his family

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I've always thought the ending would involve the scene prior to the eclipse where Griffith is an invalid and Casca is caring for him and the kid she had with Guts. In my mind, that's the ending except it's Guts that's the invalid with their kid. The difference though is that where Griffith rejects that and causes the eclipse, Guts is happy and content because even though he's a broken shell of himself, he finally found what he wanted was a life with Casca regardless of the circumstances.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just really want to see some outlandish tech built by rickert used for killing all the fantasy poo poo that griffith has caused. like an apostle transforms and just takes multiple cannon shots at once

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Rickert builds an Iron Man suit and calls it the Griffithbuster.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Rickert builds Guts a motorcycle metal stead to ride into battle.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Rickert builds Guts a motorcycle metal stead to ride into battle.

seems that would be more fitting for the skull knight

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Bad Seafood posted:

Rickert embodies a piece of Griffith that was lost when he proceeded up the road to his promised kingdom, having been befouled by the Baron in exchange for political mobility. In a way, Griffith cherishes Rickert in a way which directly corresponds to his own innocence and youth. On the other side of the coin, Rickert chooses to hold a candle (the hill of swords) and continue the legacy of his real sempai figure, Judaeu. It becomes obvious in the way Rickert chooses to grow his hair out like his fallen brother.

If I may venture to wager on a hunch, there are biblical undertones suggesting Rickert was the second goat in a sin offering, who was set free into the wilderness while the first, Judaeu, was dismantled iece by piece, and placed on an altar to be used as a sacrificial burnt offering. Going by this logic, Rickert is untouchable, and Griffith would not aim to kill him like he did when he systematically murdered every potential hurdle in his rise to power under the late King of Midland.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's ya boi Rickert back at it again in Falconia Berserk #339

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

LordMune posted:

It's ya boi Rickert back at it again in Falconia Berserk #339

Ty. I've always liked Rickert so I'm glad he's got his own thing going on now.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Ty. I've always liked Rickert so I'm glad he's got his own thing going on now.

Yeah about this. So Rickert is Arya Stark now?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

gently caress Elf Island, I want to see Rickert's adventures on Awesome Assassin Mountain and watch the tapasa frighten chidren

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aw, poor Rakshas. I feel bad for him. Also, apparently he has three eyes, and given the stuff he pulled here he's pretty much definitely not fully human; I'm not sure if he's an Apostle or something else, but this firmly ruled out the possibility of him being mundane but strange a la the other Bakiraka.

And yes, the Tapasa were great in this. Silat and them are awesome whenever they show up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the third eye is a mark of enlightnment, friend. Much like Tienshinhan he is a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Rickert's going to travel there by boat, isn't he?