Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The US has some good planes like the Russian designed and made King Cobra. Also the Corsair is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc8hfwWT1iM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

BBJoey posted:

lame p-47 flying bore: hurr durr I'm flying a support plane, I go up and down wahoo.
intelligent and attractive bf 109 ace: watch as I do some pilot poo poo and wreck you with my insane deflection shot skills.
lame p-47 flying bore: argh I can't believe my lovely plane which can't dogfight properly got shot down.

hosed up if true.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
What are what people call "deflection shots", anyway?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

spectralent posted:

Every shot you take at a target besides when you are directly behind or directly in front of a target

alternatively google it if you want more info

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Is there any point of distinction that means I can't mentally find/replace "leading your target" whenever I read it?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Leading? 95% of my deflection shots are twitch shots I take when I realize something is about to cross my guns. I don't even think about it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

spectralent posted:

Is there any point of distinction that means I can't mentally find/replace "leading your target" whenever I read it?

They are slightly different. You lead the target before taking a deflection shot. Sometimes you don't even lead, you just know where they are going to be. My best deflection shot was when I smashed the rudder button on my D13 and started firing, pilot sniping a P80 that had just zoomed by.

I got reported for hacking.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BadOptics posted:

hosed up if true.

Everything I post in this thread is true, unless it's not.

spectralent posted:

A deflection shot is basically a shot where the pilot can't see what he's shooting at. IRL and in Sim mode they're pretty impressive because you have to first see the enemy plane, extrapolate its future position and maneuver your own plane to fire on that future position, which entails losing sight of the enemy. In WW2 pilots who could consistently land deflection shots were basically IRL hackers. In AB and RB it's a pointless term really because thanks to third person view you almost always have the enemy in sight unless you're at a seriously high speed.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
T-35 is a fun tank and I enjoy playing it

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Appropriate username here:
http://imgur.com/a/t7IpB

I have a lot of questions about this profile, starting with how someone can have this many flights and not be level 100.

e:

Recoome posted:

Get an SMK.

Sard fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Recoome posted:

You have excellent opinions about tanks.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
T-35 is awesome, SMK and NbFz are fun. T-28 are ok. We need more multi turret tanks, waitintg for the T-100 and some nice french stuff.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
I suspect that the issue with the Gepard isn't so much its choice of ammo which is admittedly pretty powerful, but the way it engages targets. The M163 VADS and the FV433 Falcon have range-only and apparently no radar capability respectively. In both of them the gunner has to find and track his targets himself, with the M163's radar providing only range information.

In the Gepard, you have search and track radars coupled to a fire control system. The radar tells the gunner where the target is, the fire control system figures out where it's going. All the gunner has to do is select the target and pull the trigger. This leaves them with a choice between a completely unrealistic Gepard without its radar systems or a game breaking one that at the very least sees every aircraft above the horizon and at worst can track and engage those targets semi-automatically.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

They could just handle it like they do with planes and ignore the radar aspect, and any advantages derived from it, completly.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Remmon posted:

I suspect that the issue with the Gepard isn't so much its choice of ammo which is admittedly pretty powerful, but the way it engages targets. The M163 VADS and the FV433 Falcon have range-only and apparently no radar capability respectively. In both of them the gunner has to find and track his targets himself, with the M163's radar providing only range information.

In the Gepard, you have search and track radars coupled to a fire control system. The radar tells the gunner where the target is, the fire control system figures out where it's going. All the gunner has to do is select the target and pull the trigger. This leaves them with a choice between a completely unrealistic Gepard without its radar systems or a game breaking one that at the very least sees every aircraft above the horizon and at worst can track and engage those targets semi-automatically.

Shilka did that since the first version too, though.

In 1978 however they modified some into a specially customized variant for the Soviet-Afghan war. The modification involved complete removal of the radar and doubling the ammo count because it's sole purpose in that conflict was mowing down brown people Mujahideen in the mountains. :ussr:

I really do hope that they do add the Afghan variant because that would simplify the radar woes as well as give it 4000 rounds of ammo (Vulcan had 1100) :getin:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

calling it now; ZSU-23-4 'Afghanskii' premium SPAAG 5,000 eagles

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZR4SytV5A

Wooper fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 30, 2015

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Teal posted:

Shilka did that since the first version too, though.

In 1978 however they modified some into a specially customized variant for the Soviet-Afghan war. The modification involved complete removal of the radar and doubling the ammo count because it's sole purpose in that conflict was mowing down brown people Mujahideen in the mountains. :ussr:

I really do hope that they do add the Afghan variant because that would simplify the radar woes as well as give it 4000 rounds of ammo (Vulcan had 1100) :getin:

From what I can tell of the Shilka, it doesn't have the semi-automatic track and engage system that makes the Gepard a nightmare. The Shilka is a pretty good vehicle, but ultimately depends on the gunner to predict and shoot down targets. They could simply give it red dots for aircraft on the (mini)map and be done with it.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/3iy0xa/id_rather_not/

Tagged "Decal Misuse"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Anyone getting bad lag on WT lately?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Remmon posted:

From what I can tell of the Shilka, it doesn't have the semi-automatic track and engage system that makes the Gepard a nightmare. The Shilka is a pretty good vehicle, but ultimately depends on the gunner to predict and shoot down targets. They could simply give it red dots for aircraft on the (mini)map and be done with it.

No the Shilka has a full search radar and automated gun laying, the gunner doesn't manually aim unless in optical backup mode. And it's all done not even by vacuum tubes but by a mechanical computer :ussr:

Sam Simulator even has a Shilka mode if you want to learn Russian by starring at a screenfull of buttons in Cyrillic.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

One big difference between the Shilka and the Gepard is, that the Gepard has a muzzle sensor that checks the muzzle velocity and feeds the info back into the fire control system, so the weapon system can compensate for changes in muzzle velocity caused by the heating of the barrel from longer bursts. The soviets installed water cooling jackets so the barrels would not heat up too much. :unsmith:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
40 minutes of airplanes crashing into aircraft carriers over the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eVxXXdy-E

Personal highlight at 21:35. :stare:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Sard posted:

Appropriate username here:
http://imgur.com/a/t7IpB

I have a lot of questions about this profile, starting with how someone can have this many flights and not be level 100.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

spectralent posted:

Anyone getting bad lag on WT lately?

Yeah, for the past few days the PL has been crazy, my packetloss has been going from anywhere between 20% to 90%.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Vadoc posted:

Yeah, for the past few days the PL has been crazy, my packetloss has been going from anywhere between 20% to 90%.

Same for me, ping leaping between 50-60 and 999, and PL spiking at random.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

spectralent posted:

BBJoey posted:

A deflection shot is basically a shot where the pilot can't see what he's shooting at. IRL and in Sim mode they're pretty impressive because you have to first see the enemy plane, extrapolate its future position and maneuver your own plane to fire on that future position, which entails losing sight of the enemy.

If you would like to see countless examples of this, simply like and subscribe to my official YouTube channel :smugdog:

BBJoey posted:

They're bad.

Corsairs loving own and are the perfect middleground between a Mustang and Thunderbolt, but yeah the F4U/P47 aren't exactly the most exciting planes to fly if you're playing seriously to win internet videogame points even though they're pretty much guaranteed invincibility planes.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

gently caress you too War Thunder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ArchRanger posted:

gently caress you too War Thunder.

My wingmen still laugh at me for my own Talismanned OS2U-1.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Right, so after judicious T-34 abuse I've unlocked the T-44. Was this thing worth the trouble?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

In my opinion, the premium T-34-100 is the superior medium tank for the BR, sure the T-44 has the better armor but the 85mm really is not cutting it anymore at that BR.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

T-44 is bad at the BR it's at. It'd be alright at BR 5.7 or something, but it's a very marginal upgrade on the T-34-85 that sees tanks 2 BR higher than that. It has slightly better armour, sure, but it's going to be just as meaningless against Tiger IIs and 90mms as the T-34's armour was against the first tiger. Having said that, it's a T-34-85, so it's not unplayable. I'd agree the T-34-100 would've been better, since T-34s after BR 4 are all gun platforms anyway.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you angle the T-44's hull a KT can't pen it really and they are at mercy of the turret armour that is equivalent to 100mm of cast RNG.

I wouldn't recommend playing T-44 as your sole tank in lineup that's in range of KTs though. Get an SU-100 at least, and ideally an IS-2 as well, and then make a lineup of these three and throw yourself at the German 6.7 wall.

Teal fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 30, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Teal posted:

If you angle the T-44's hull a KT can't pen it really and they are at mercy of the turret armour that is equivalent to 100mm of cast RNG.

I wouldn't recommend playing T-44 as your sole tank in lineup that's in range of KTs though. Get an SU-100 at least, and ideally an IS-2 as well, and then make a lineup of these three and throw yourself at the German 6.7 wall.

Looking at the angles I can't find an an angle that's impenetrable to the KT at any reasonable distance where your side's not hilariously exposed too, and as you say the turret's fairly soft (which has a side effect of making hull-down hard). You're right about random bounces, though, but again the T-34 also lived and died on the whims of the shot-bouncing gods.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

spectralent posted:

Looking at the angles I can't find an an angle that's impenetrable to the KT at any reasonable distance where your side's not hilariously exposed too, and as you say the turret's fairly soft (which has a side effect of making hull-down hard). You're right about random bounces, though, but again the T-34 also lived and died on the whims of the shot-bouncing gods.

Well you can go through the LFP at angle where you can also go through side, yeah, but it's rather small, and the UFP becomes impossible for APHE at like ~15 degrees or something.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

While the armor is theoretically not safe, the 8.8cm will still bounce from the hull if angled more often than not. Just take a Tiger II or Panther II for a testride and fire away at the test target. On the other hand, I never had a problem punching through the turret of a T-44. Unless I aim to high it will punch through one way or the other.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

They're bad.

Corsairs are fun and good planes and the best part is shooting down American planes in your Japanese Corsair then saying American planes are OP in chat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NaHlxOC94Y

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Feindfeuer posted:

While the armor is theoretically not safe, the 8.8cm will still bounce from the hull if angled more often than not. Just take a Tiger II or Panther II for a testride and fire away at the test target. On the other hand, I never had a problem punching through the turret of a T-44. Unless I aim to high it will punch through one way or the other.

I always wondered how my T-34 survived all those shots :allears:

Looks like the hull is good against same-tier panthers who don't aim at your sides or turret and will also magically deflect like 90% of shots onto it.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I think the T-44 is good, so long as you play it like you did the T-34-85. That being as a highly mobile flanker. The 85mm still packs a good whack behind the armor you just have to get in position to penetrate with it.

Now if they added the T-44 prototype with the 100mm gun that would be something amazing. Think the T34-100 except faster, smaller profile and better armored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I was actually refering to the T-44, but to some extend this is of course also true for the T-34. As the overmatch formula used needs an immense 5:1 advantage to take any effect ingame, a well angeled T-34 will deflect shots also rather well, because the deflection is calculated after the overmatch but before the penetration.

• Locked thread