Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RatHat posted:

You don't get soldiers better than Snake in every way until very late game though.

This is true, but still disappointing, since it basically meant that out of your 100 some odd combat unit staff, there was one, maybe two, that you would ever pick from, AND never an instance where Snake was the better option, unless all of your perfect S-rank soldiers had the Side-kick special, effectively barring you from S ranking missions.

It was definitely a neat idea, just like a lot of PW features, but similar to all the others, something under developed and not really rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RatHat posted:

You don't get soldiers better than Snake in every way until very late game though.

Like I said earlier, the game sneakily rolls NG+ mode up on you well before the halfway point of the campaign, so you'll be wanting to go back to earlier missions anyway, if you really want to get your teeth into the game. Also, almost every mission has 1-2 primary objectives, and another ~4 or so that are optional and revealed after you complete it once.

The big thing I have to say here is DON'T WORRY ABOUT PLAYING OPTIMALLY. Improvise, gently caress up, blow far too much money on goofing off. I've been trying to complete aggressive side-ops without ever taking a single aggressive action or drawing a gun. Airstrikes, fire support and sniper cover fix so many problems.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 31, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
What does the Chicken Hat actually do? I've seen it offered to someone after a couple game overs, but they refused it too fast to really tell. I'm not sure if it's a thing that gets equipped only if you tell the game to do it for the mission you're struggling with or if it's a piece of gear.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As far as I remember there's no heart rank. No soldier will ever have more heart.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Nakar posted:

What does the Chicken Hat actually do? I've seen it offered to someone after a couple game overs, but they refused it too fast to really tell. I'm not sure if it's a thing that gets equipped only if you tell the game to do it for the mission you're struggling with or if it's a piece of gear.

It's a piece of gear, but you unlock it by being lovely. AFAIK, it's selectable like any other piece of gear once you accept it once.

While wearing it, soldiers that see you won't shoot you or call for help, instead they just point and laugh at you.

It has a massive score penalty, naturally.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nakar posted:

Edit: Beaten. It's basically Easy mode, it locks your codename to 'chicken', and can be enabled/disabled via a Gameplay Options toggle if you want.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Funkmaster General posted:

While wearing it, soldiers that see you won't shoot you or call for help, instead they just point and laugh at you.

Konami please force enable this on DSP and Greg Miller's game data forever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Funkmaster General posted:

It's a piece of gear, but you unlock it by being lovely. AFAIK, it's selectable like any other piece of gear once you accept it once.

It has a massive score penalty, naturally.

Holy poo poo that's incredibly broken. It's like they gave you a item to just skip a mission.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Big Boss is outmatched by no man. Please think before you speak.

Solid Snake bested him twice. :smug:

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 31, 2015

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
If you play the Ground Zeroes mission and don't put Chico down after being prompted by Kaz, you get a little cutscene of the tape falling out of the helicopter as Chico is loaded.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RatHat posted:

Holy poo poo that's incredibly broken. It's like they gave you a item to just skip a mission.

There isn't a difficulty selection option like previous games. It's basically the EZ Gun from MGS3. It's there for people who like the series zanny scripts, but are simply bad at games, and have no shame in admitting that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So if a guy has E Combat or whatever, how much worse are they when played as compared to Big Boss? Playable DDs seem to breathe heavily and noisily after a sprint, but I didn't notice them being unable to sprint for ages and ages like Big Boss. If you tag in as Bastard Moose, is he statistically inferior in some way to Big Boss? Worse aim, bad sneaking/sprinting, can't CQC, anything like that? Or is a DD basically just a skin and player performance doesn't matter, and the Combat rank just applies to their performance in the squad itself?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

RatHat posted:

I heard that it only works a limited number of times, and if you continue to mess up even beyond chicken hat levels you get an egg hat.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Apparently that was how Kojima himself wanted the game to end originally, but the staff revolted and basically forced him to change the ending into what we got.

That's a shame. It would have been such a fitting end to the MGS1/MGS2/MGS4 trilogy, since all three of those games would have ended with one of the sons of Big Boss being killed.

I guess you still kind of have that with MGS4 as it is, but it's not quite the same thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Time to play "New things I learn in an MGS game." This time it's that mines have FRONT/BACK written on them.

I'm going to miss Kojima and his ridiculous attention to detail. I can't think of any other game where subsequent plays reveal new things.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Raxivace posted:

That's a shame. It would have been such a fitting end to the MGS1/MGS2/MGS4 trilogy, since all three of those games would have ended with one of the sons of Big Boss being killed.

I guess you still kind of have that with MGS4 as it is, but it's not quite the same thing.

Konami fired the guy responsible for basically the entire game right before the game launched, they aren't exactly kings of artistic direction

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Snak posted:

I knew before I clicked what it would be about. It's such a shame. While it would have been horrible timing at the time, the themes of MGS2 are incredibly topical and, especially in hindsight, prescient.

I realize it's probably impossible (this is Konami, they probably don't have the source for it anymore), but I would've liked to see them reinstate the cutscene for the HD collection. It feels like it would've made for a much stronger ending, the wounds aren't as bad anymore, and yeah, it would've been incredibly topical. Hell, they could probably have sold the HD version with those cinematics as 'so topical at the time that we couldn't actually use it' and done really well. It'd be interesting to see, if nothing else.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

Solid Snake bested him twice. :smug:

uh big boss only has one arm dude

thats an impostor.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

al-azad posted:

Time to play "New things I learn in an MGS game." This time it's that mines have FRONT/BACK written on them.

I'm going to miss Kojima and his ridiculous attention to detail. I can't think of any other game where subsequent plays reveal new things.

Todays thing I noticed in MGS5: Power lines are dynamically cut based on where you shoot them. They spark quite noticably. Need to try shooting some over water.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

PublicOpinion posted:

I heard that it only works a limited number of times, and if you continue to mess up even beyond chicken hat levels you get an egg hat.

Holy poo poo I need this.

Does it show up in cutscenes.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Does it show up in cutscenes.

Yes

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Following up on my post from last night. I'm about 7 hours into Metal Gear Solid 3, and holy poo poo what a loving great game. I'm playing the HD version on PS3 and I just cannot fathom that this existed on a PS2. It's crazy good and all the systems are cool as gently caress.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah 3 is seriously one of the best games of all time.

Does Phantom Pain ask what your favorite MG game is before starting?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does Phantom Pain ask what your favorite MG game is before starting?

Nope. It does ask SOMETHING, but I'm not sure how or why so far.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

If you're not playing 3 with naked, the :911: face paint and the croc cap, you need to get on that.

Rainbow camo is also acceptable in lieu of naked.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Nope. It does ask SOMETHING, but I'm not sure how or why so far.

"did you like it?"

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I wish Konami were cheeky bastards and put a pachinko machine in Mother Base.

just go full evil but funny like Trump

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Big Boss is outmatched by no man. Please think before you speak.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

El Hefe posted:

Only if I can push-cart it into the heartless sea.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

El Hefe posted:

just go full evil but funny like Trump

Pachinko machines with ammo instead of balls.

Only way to get ammo

Only can use real money to play

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Playing pachinko should be the only way to get MB coins.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Big Boss: Aiiieee!!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The original ending to mgs4 sounds pretty terrible. I'm assuming that it wouldn't have big boss and a big aspect of the ending we got is big boss realizing how much of a shithead he was, and how Snake was admirable for fighting for what he believed was right.

I mean I guess you could just execute them but it kind if flies in the face of Kojima's message just for some shock value ending.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

The original ending to mgs4 sounds pretty terrible. I'm assuming that it wouldn't have big boss and a big aspect of the ending we got is big boss realizing how much of a shithead he was, and how Snake was admirable for fighting for what he believed was right.

I mean I guess you could just execute them but it kind if flies in the face of Kojima's message just for some shock value ending.

Honestly I was fine with the Big Boss appearance, but even as a compromise I would've been happier with it just ending on gunshot than the original plan or whatever.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Solid Snake killing himself on The Boss's tombstone and then nothing after that would have been the best ending.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Stairmaster posted:

uh big boss only has one arm dude

thats an impostor.

With a fairly modern gun

what the heck

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Capn Beeb posted:

With a fairly modern gun

what the heck
That fight took place in '95, for the record. One year after D2: The Mighty Ducks took place.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao if you doinks aren't going to do a "Johnny" Run with the shittiest soldier in your entire army and all the difficulty modifiers on

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I wonder if soldiers still level up on use like they did in Peace Walker. I never bothered with soldiers who weren't already really good in PW, could you take a chump and turn them into a champ by playing as them or did they cap out at a percentage of their starting stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao if you doinks aren't going to do a "Johnny" Run with the shittiest soldier in your entire army and all the difficulty modifiers on

Johnny, a poo poo soldier?

• Locked thread