Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where the ever gently caress are the cupons for 50% off? been looking all day.
I want to get this cheap!
Goons add me to your steam stuffs.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/gamelab2021/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure they're in the supply crates inside caves, so you aren't just going to stumble upon one wandering around. You'll have to grind a bit to fight in there and get one.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

They're just in supply crates. You find mystery not items in the supply crate, carry it around for a couple hours, it then gives you a code.

Doesn't seem to be any particular level of crate you need to open to get one.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

guess I'll give this a whirl:

constantly crashing on my linux laptop though :\

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Depends posted:

Holy crap barrel rolls. I used my ptera with 2300% melee and I can fly into a group of anything and melt it all. Took 3 rolls to kill a high level rex and 2 for a level 55 bronto.

I didn't even know this was a thing, thank you. I saw the pictures but the normal right click or left click didn't do anything so I thought it got left out. Now that I learned the magic of the C button, I roll around (literally) murdering everything. My ptera is only at 430% though. I was leveling it for speed, but it's fast enough now so I am going to start boosting it's melee.

Now that I can use my Ptera to travel and get food for my carnivours, I don't think I will ever get off it. Dino MVP.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 29, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
In trying to figure out how to do the barrel roll, I mashed all the usual suspects of buttons.

Including E. While a billion feet up in the air.

Don't hit E.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

In trying to figure out how to do the barrel roll, I mashed all the usual suspects of buttons.

Including E. While a billion feet up in the air.

Don't hit E.

Yeah E opens doors. while also accessing inventory. Its also the jump off button. E is the worst.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So with scuba gear now available, is there any non-gimmick build reason to put points into O2? Melee damage also seems less desirable given the availability of harvester dinos for every resource(and more coming in the future). Is something like 150 weight/150 stamina/500 HP going to be the ideal build now?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Insect Court posted:

So with scuba gear now available, is there any non-gimmick build reason to put points into O2? Melee damage also seems less desirable given the availability of harvester dinos for every resource(and more coming in the future). Is something like 150 weight/150 stamina/500 HP going to be the ideal build now?

all speed all the time

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

I have literally met one person ever who wanted to level up oxygen and he wanted to be a full rp pirate on the seven seas. In a game about an island with dinosaurs where you can put a saddle on a shark thats not totally retarded, but its a close contender. gently caress 02.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

The Insect Court posted:

At least 300 weight is a requirement unless you love having to take 50 trips to shuttle things off a full dinosaur.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I have over 400 oxygen. Haters gonna hate.

Actually, I did that before scuba gear but I don't really regret it. Scuba is a rather high level item so tribes trying to grow from scratch (like the tribe I'm in) will still benefit from at least one member that pumps oxygen.

nelson fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 29, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Remmiz posted:

At least 300 weight is a requirement unless you love having to take 50 trips to shuttle things off a full dinosaur.
As a builder I find 300 carry weight to be amazing

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
To the guy with 400 O2:

I bet you are a good oil farmer!

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

nelson posted:

I have over 400 oxygen. Haters gonna hate.

Actually, I did that before scuba gear but I don't really regret it. Scuba is a rather high level item so tribes trying to grow from scratch (like the tribe I'm in) will still benefit from at least one member that pumps oxygen.

If you put on the SCUBA Fins you can swim way faster than any animal at least!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Me too! You can find me over at http://steamcommunity.com/id/motz/home/. Thanks in advance!

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

With the new plant turret - once they are fully grown do you need to keep them irrigated/fertilized?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So while making a run through reddit trying to find out what the sarco buff was, it was pointed out that the devs had cleared it up for us.

* Sarco buff: faster run speed, much faster mounted turn rate, higher tamed damage scaling

Probably still not enough to be worth it though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Can you feed stim berries to a dino somebody else is taming to get it to wake up?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

Unless things have changed drastically, massive HP builds are still terrible because of the way combat works, and you're not taking melee damage for the harvesting - that's just a bonus of high melee damage. Some HP is extremely nice to have so that you have more room to breath, but good armor is a much better protection for the investment.

Very high melee damage builds do two things: break armor faster, and kill people faster once their armor is broken. High HP builds only help you take hits, they do absolutely nothing for your ability to take out threats. Once your armor is gone, which will only be a few swipes from a high melee character, you are dead in 2-3 hits even with a high HP build because holy poo poo even a vanilla pike is doing 150+ damage to unarmored bits, whereas with only 100% melee damage you will be wailing on their armor much longer.

Guns change this some, since they just do damage without your stats influencing them, but if you can always dictate your terms of engagement you're a much savvier player than I.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Is there a good reason the compound bow is higher on the tech tree than assault rifles, sentry guns, and rocket launchers? Especially since it sounds like it's not even that much better than the crossbow, and worse without the metal arrows. Is the armor piercing really that much of an advantage over bullets?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
On the last day of the freebie game I came across a body wearing all chitin armor carrying a crossbow and a crapton of tranq arrows. The next thing the server knows there's some red armored rear end in a top hat stalking the jungle tranqing people then dragging them to the river to be a sacrifice to his glorious crocodile god.

It was a good way to end things.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Deadmeat5150 posted:

On the last day of the freebie game I came across a body wearing all chitin armor carrying a crossbow and a crapton of tranq arrows. The next thing the server knows there's some red armored rear end in a top hat stalking the jungle tranqing people then dragging them to the river to be a sacrifice to his glorious crocodile god.

It was a good way to end things.

and this is why ARK is GOTY all years.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I thought +50 was the max you could get on a tame? We popped a mammoth at +58 earlier today, what caused the extra 8 levels? We used kibble of course.

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof

Zotix posted:

I thought +50 was the max you could get on a tame? We popped a mammoth at +58 earlier today, what caused the extra 8 levels? We used kibble of course.

50 is the amount of levels available AFTER the tame has finished. So your mammoth will be able to reach 108.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I know but I thought 50 was the max bonus levels you could get from taming. What is the exact number then? 60?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Enjoyed the game over this free weekend, it has a nice balance of danger and satisfaction from getting things done. I think I like that it takes a lot of work to get even the most basic of bases set up, lots of resources to build anything pretty much.

Got chased by a giant crocodile thing, died multiple times to piranhas (gently caress piranhas), built the foundation a thatch hut before the weekend ended. Good poo poo.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Zotix posted:

I know but I thought 50 was the max bonus levels you could get from taming. What is the exact number then? 60?

He is saying that 50 level limit you are referring to is the amount of levels you can earn on a tamed dino. There is no limit on the extra levels you get when the tame is completed. That is based on the dinos level and taming efficiency.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Prawned posted:

Enjoyed the game over this free weekend, it has a nice balance of danger and satisfaction from getting things done. I think I like that it takes a lot of work to get even the most basic of bases set up, lots of resources to build anything pretty much.

Got chased by a giant crocodile thing, died multiple times to piranhas (gently caress piranhas), built the foundation a thatch hut before the weekend ended. Good poo poo.

Yeah, I'm finding out that even though playing single player may be a good tutorial, it just takes too much time and mats to do a lot of things without a tribe so I think I'll make the jump to multiplayer soon. I usually just dip my head in the water, let the piranhas come up to me, then jump out and spear them from the surface. I also had a crocodile thing (sarco?) attack me and my hut, but he got stuck on a rock so I killed him easily (love the game but I'd say at least 20% of the things I run into are stuck in something, especially on the beach).

I did manage to tame a level 25 trike who got stuck in a tree near my base when I was like level 7. I found out later that I'm like a million levels from being able to ride her, so for now I just use her as a truck to hold wood and stone when I gather.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Trikes make for good trucks. Their carry weight increases rapidly if you choose to level those up and their runspeed is decent. Their stamina isn't so great, but creatures don't care about stamina if they are running etc while following you. Their knockback from attacking is pretty drat useful too. They could kill poo poo pretty well if you wanted to level up their melee damage, but a few trikes juggling something is also great to let you / your carnivores destroy the poor idiot thing while it is flying. Level up their HP a little bit so they don't get gibbed too quickly, then go hog wild with carry weight. I basically always bring a pair (or more) of trikes with me when I'm out gathering resources. And I'm using ankylos and mammoths right now.

Trike saddle is available at level 20. Most people won't mind building one for you if you are willing to gather materials or trade something for them. Ask around, most people aren't huge jerks. A trike saddle is really drat cheap and easy compared to a lot of later stuff. Riding a trike lets you gather thatch and berries by attacking trees/bushes. You'll get more berries this way than if you gathered them by hand, but you won't get any fiber using the dino to do it. Later dinos are even better at gathering stuff but a trike is still pretty decent for moderate amounts of berries. You aren't at the phase yet where you need twenty thousand narcoberries or insane things like that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

My brief stint on the weekend server saw me spawning inside a cramped beach compound and slaughtering everyone within before climbing over their gates. Only piranhas would end this reign of terror.

Don't build near the spawns, folks. Also, consider windows/roofs.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 31, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

wit posted:

Yeah E opens doors. while also accessing inventory. Its also the jump off button. E is the worst.

"Let's see, do I want to fly forward, or do I want to jump off this Argentavis at 7,000+ ft?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clinton1011 posted:

He is saying that 50 level limit you are referring to is the amount of levels you can earn on a tamed dino. There is no limit on the extra levels you get when the tame is completed. That is based on the dinos level and taming efficiency.

The limit for taming bonus levels is 50% of the dino's starting level. A level 4 can get at most +2. Then, after taming, they can make 50 levels over time with xp.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

GenericOverusedName posted:

Trikes make for good trucks. Their carry weight increases rapidly if you choose to level those up and their runspeed is decent. Their stamina isn't so great, but creatures don't care about stamina if they are running etc while following you. Their knockback from attacking is pretty drat useful too. They could kill poo poo pretty well if you wanted to level up their melee damage, but a few trikes juggling something is also great to let you / your carnivores destroy the poor idiot thing while it is flying. Level up their HP a little bit so they don't get gibbed too quickly, then go hog wild with carry weight. I basically always bring a pair (or more) of trikes with me when I'm out gathering resources. And I'm using ankylos and mammoths right now.

Trike saddle is available at level 20. Most people won't mind building one for you if you are willing to gather materials or trade something for them. Ask around, most people aren't huge jerks. A trike saddle is really drat cheap and easy compared to a lot of later stuff. Riding a trike lets you gather thatch and berries by attacking trees/bushes. You'll get more berries this way than if you gathered them by hand, but you won't get any fiber using the dino to do it. Later dinos are even better at gathering stuff but a trike is still pretty decent for moderate amounts of berries. You aren't at the phase yet where you need twenty thousand narcoberries or insane things like that.

My trike and I are just in single player for now, so there is nobody to ask to make a saddle for me. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I will probably jump to MP soon. I originally tried joining a few random non-goon servers and each one had giant bases and people riding T-rexes and stuff. Although I think that stuff is cool, I wanted to play the 'survival' part of it first since it felt pointless making stone stuff and thatch huts when everyone else on the server is already using guns and metal bases.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I originally tried joining a few random non-goon servers and each one had giant bases and people riding T-rexes and stuff

More or less every server also has one tribe that is so much further ahead of everyone they just try to tax the server for a bunch of stone or they kill all the dinos. The one on 45 just popped up in the past few days after spending however long making 200+ C4 and killing 80% of the server's dinos.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Although I think that stuff is cool, I wanted to play the 'survival' part of it first since it felt pointless making stone stuff and thatch huts when everyone else on the server is already using guns and metal bases.
Try a primitive server if you don't feel like loving with guns, explosives and metal bases.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jackard posted:

Try a primitive server if you don't feel like loving with guns, explosives and metal bases.

Ideally I'd join a server and help a tribe get to that point, experiencing the other stuff on the way. That probably won't happen though since most servers are already established so I'll probably just do the early to mid game kind of stuff on my single player game and join goons for MP.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ideally I'd join a server and help a tribe get to that point, experiencing the other stuff on the way. That probably won't happen though since most servers are already established so I'll probably just do the early to mid game kind of stuff on my single player game and join goons for MP.

This is more or less the same conclusion I came to.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Well, if you're okay with being part of a guerrilla force in an active conflict that is fighting against a bunch of racist, sexist, technologically superior enemies, we're in need of more goons looking to have a good time pushing their poo poo in. Come check out the PGS thread for more details, as I don't want to divulge too much in the open forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Don't do this. Just come to 360 and play on your own there before joining up. People won't mess with you for the most part and you won't have to re-level when you finally decide you want to play with us.