Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Dragomorph posted:

Okay so, uh, new modding question: Any modpacks that work on a 32-bit operating system? Or am I just going to have to upgrade to a 64-bit? Note that the processor could handle it, but I'm not sure about the rest of the computer.

Modderation FYAD should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think lighter modpacks should work on 32-bit, but for anything particularly beefy you need to allocate more ram to minecraft than a 32-bit system can readily handle allocating.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

how many bear asses do you need for that quest

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Magres posted:

I think lighter modpacks should work on 32-bit, but for anything particularly beefy you need to allocate more ram to minecraft than a 32-bit system can readily handle allocating.

Guess that's another thing to add to the bucket list of "things to do when I can actually afford to upgrade my computer." :sigh:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

how many bear asses do you need for that quest

Twenty, it is always twenty.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Looks like that's proceeding pretty well, then?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dragomorph posted:

Guess that's another thing to add to the bucket list of "things to do when I can actually afford to upgrade my computer." :sigh:

Don't sweat it, you can get basically all of the fun of modded minecraft without using giant, bulky modpacks. Having to have multiple worlds and having to restart more often is certainly a downer, but you can find a nice lightweight tech pack, an adventure pack, and a magic pack and have the vast majority of the content you'd want available to you. There's not much crossover between magic and tech mods, and both of them only really interact with the adventure-y mods in that they give you more tools with which to conquer the adventure, which isn't necessarily a good thing - when you hit endgame in some mod tech trees, it completely trivializes everything the rest of the packs will throw at you. Progressing through a single modpack at the pace they set instead of mashing together the easiest paths forward from a half a different mods can be very enjoyable - in some mods, mining upgrades are a huge deal but flight is trivial, in others flight is semi-impossible to get but you'll get ore doubling (and more) really early.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 31, 2015

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Magres posted:

Don't sweat it, you can get basically all of the fun of modded minecraft without using giant, bulky modpacks. Having to have multiple worlds and having to restart more often is certainly a downer, but you can find a nice lightweight tech pack, an adventure pack, and a magic pack and have the vast majority of the content you'd want available to you. There's not much crossover between magic and tech mods, and both of them only really interact with the adventure-y mods in that they give you more tools with which to conquer the adventure, which isn't necessarily a good thing - when you hit endgame in some mod tech trees, it completely trivializes everything the rest of the packs will throw at you. Progressing through a single modpack at the pace they set instead of mashing together the easiest paths forward from a half a different mods can be very enjoyable - in some mods, mining upgrades are a huge deal but flight is trivial, in others flight is semi-impossible to get but you'll get ore doubling (and more) really early.

Always try to have Applied Energistics 2 in a mod pack you play though, I say. AE2 makes -everything- better, even without Extra Cells/Thaumic Energistics/Equivalent Energistics. Provided you don't mind mixing a bit of tech into your magic, it is the primo item storage/movement/crafting mod.

Granted, I'm sure there are people prefer to have nicely sorted chests to store things, and who want to do their magic stuff pure. But I've always found it takes a lot of the repetition out of making the things you need, leaving you the adventure of -doing- stuff.

Also, to echo mechaet's post earlier, I believe Modderation: FYAD will run with 1/2GB of RAM just fine, enough for 32bit, and has a fair selection of progression choices.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 31, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You might be able to mitigate the memory barrier a little if you run a server on your computer and play off it. That is a second process that can have its own RAM. This assumes you... have the RAM to do it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You might be able to mitigate the memory barrier a little if you run a server on your computer and play off it. That is a second process that can have its own RAM. This assumes you... have the RAM to do it.

That would work if it was a question of 32-bit java on a 64-bit OS, with a 32-bit OS they're stuck with 3 GB max for everything combined, no matter what.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Sure it ain't much, but if it's another few hundred MB, it might make a few simpler packs accessible.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
https://twitter.com/FTB_Team/status/637830821177528320/photo/1

Apparently hell has frozen over.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I'm still somewhat sad we didn't sue his rear end back over false DMCA claims.

But then, it'd have been pointless. Watching him squirm his rear end off in a court looking like that would be worth it.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 31, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CovertJaguar looks visibly upset.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

CovertJaguar looks visibly upset.

Well, he's a modder and so is KL. The difference is KL is a Doctorate, he's a shlub in his parent's basement seding out false DMCAs and bitching about his modders' rights.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Man I forgot CJ had a rat-tail.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Greedish posted:

What modpack should I download if I want everything but the kitchen sink in a server with my friends? I was going to try OMPi, but it seems not to have a server download at all. Am I missing something and, if not, what's an alternative modpack with lots of different mods to explore?

Modderation: Permabanned by mechaet has a lot of fun mods for magic, technology, decoration, and miscellany in it along with a server download on the technic page.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I accidentally installed 32bit java on my laptop and I can confirm that FYAD does in fact work on 32 bit java, although journeymap sometimes doesn't show up due to ram limitations. Not a deal breaker at all.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

senae posted:

That would work if it was a question of 32-bit java on a 64-bit OS, with a 32-bit OS they're stuck with 3 GB max for everything combined, no matter what.

That's only true for Windows, but go ahead and say it's so anyways. :) The short version is that on a 32-bit OS, the userland is limited to addressing 4G of memory space, but the OS (kernel) through PAE (for example) can map up to 64G (should be enough for anyone, right? ;)) and would allow for splitting the resources into two processes to make use of more memory than a single process otherwise would.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Magres posted:

OMPi is the thread recommendation for a "tons of crap" kind of modpack right? My girlfriend and I want to play together and we want a good lots of stuff pack, cause I like doing tech and magic, and she likes doing magic and decoration.

I know someone just answered this with Modderation: FYAD, but I kinda disagree. Modderation: Permabanned is a kitchen-sink pack. FYAD slims it down considerably by removing lots of redundant mods. It's mostly based around EE. Both are good. OMP-i is also a delight and I enjoy it frequently. I mostly play OMP-i these days but I should really play FYAD more to learn EE.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
In Botania, what's the best way to generate mana once you can build a runic altar? Right now I only have two endo flowers because a creeper blew up all my dayblooms. Which functional flower should I focus on making first to get the best mana return from?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

In Botania, what's the best way to generate mana once you can build a runic altar? Right now I only have two endo flowers because a creeper blew up all my dayblooms. Which functional flower should I focus on making first to get the best mana return from?

I like to use a mix of the gourmaryllis (the one that eats leaves) and the endoflame (that eats fuel) on a tree farm. The one that eats foods is also really good if you have a good way to produce that and are willing to rig up a simple timer (the best way to do that depends on the pack).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

I like to use a mix of the gourmaryllis (the one that eats leaves) and the endoflame (that eats fuel) on a tree farm. The one that eats foods is also really good if you have a good way to produce that and are willing to rig up a simple timer (the best way to do that depends on the pack).

the one that eats leaves is the munchdew, the one that eats food is the gourmaryllis

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Munchdew + AE's formation planes = more mana than a commoner could use, but it's pretty awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

the one that eats leaves is the munchdew, the one that eats food is the gourmaryllis

Oops, yeah that. The flower names are really hard to keep straight

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Harvester + Autonomous Activator + Munchdew if you don't want to involve an ME network.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

you could also route excess saplings into a secondary treefarm where the munchdew can just go to town

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I don't understand how this happened.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Excuse you, he's taking a shower and you barged in on him. You should be ashamed.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fortis posted:

I don't understand how this happened.

The inside of a railcraft tank is a valid spawn location.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

The inside of a railcraft tank is a valid spawn location.

The problem with this is an entity (in this case a mob spawning inside of it) counts as breaking it and thus he loses everything inside of the tank.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

The problem with this is an entity (in this case a mob spawning inside of it) counts as breaking it and thus he loses everything inside of the tank.

Unless that's a recent change, it definitely doesn't. I've put mobs inside partially filled railcraft tanks before.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah the tank still works, I just thought it was hilarious.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

You don't even lose everything in the tank if you break it. The bottom center tile keeps track of what's in the tank. If you break THAT one, then you lose the liquid.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

do railcraft tanks even hold more than, like, the thermal expansion tanks these days

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Glory of Arioch posted:

do railcraft tanks even hold more than, like, the thermal expansion tanks these days

If you use steel ones I think they do?

They also look a lot cooler, which is the important thing. Shame the rest of the mod sucks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The last two tiers of TE Tanks hold a loooot of fluid in one block.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Beyond the first tier of TE tanks, TE holds more (it's a 4x multiplication compared to RC's 2x).

The thing is as mentioned the big tanks just look cool since TE tanks don't multiblock. They can stack but they don't combine horizontally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Desperate Character posted:

I have a few endoflames next to a basic pressure plate / open crate / hopper setup. Feed it a stack of charcoal and watch it spew mana everywhere. A gourmalyllis (which eats food) is nice if you have an hourglass controlling the rate it gets food, and it's a great way to get some use out of the rotten flesh and spider eyes you probably have lying around. If you have mana diamonds to spare to make the top tier runes, entropynnium (eats explosions) and munchdew (eats leaves) are pretty great.