Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Headed to the dealership, wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Regional markup on golf r in the pnw is 10k, sticker comes out to 49k. Lol

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Regional markup on golf r in the pnw is 10k, sticker comes out to 49k. Lol

Unless you're absolutely married to the manual or they come down a lot in price you should just look at Audi S3s. I bought a '16 a week ago today and paid far, far less than that for it. Feel free to PM me if you want dealer and salesguy info or if you have any questions.

Also, I just have to say the interface that Audi has created for the S3 (radio, phone, etc) makes the interface on my now gone Subaru look like hot trash. Hot, smelly trash.

edit: just saw that you're TDI pricing, so nevermind. Out of curiosity and assuming you don't mind sharing, which dealership is it that is so optimistic about the golf r pricing?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Ya i was just strolling by the golf r, dick hannah vw. They are also trying to push 33k on a 15 sel tdi, i told em ill walk out and drive to auburn 8f they cant get it down to 26.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Didnt get my price exactly but got a free tint, and a free full detail once a year for the life of the car.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
So uh, the owner's manual for my 2014 Passat goes from page 104 to 137, no pages in between.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

borkencode posted:

So uh, the owner's manual for my 2014 Passat goes from page 104 to 137, no pages in between.

you can check the online version and see if it's a misprint there as well:

http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/digital-resources/vw-owners-manual/

or

http://knowyourvw.com/index.html?page=vin

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Looks like the missing info is in the app, thanks!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The 2.5 golf is a regular torque converter automatic iirc. That being said, I am not a fan of how VW programs their transmissions - even the brand new cars I drove were a little funky. It's probably fine... Transverse VW automatics usually wait until about 100k to fail (also they may have fixed their issues by now... I haven't researched)

The transverse automatics were Aisin/Toyota units and were fine. The ones VW used didn't fail so much once VW changed their service schedules from "Transmissions have fluid?" to "Well I guess you should change the fluid sometimes like every other loving car."

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
While we're at it, when should I change the fluid in my 6-speed 2010 GTI? It's got 50k miles on it and I can't find any VW service interval for it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The transverse automatics were Aisin/Toyota units and were fine. The ones VW used didn't fail so much once VW changed their service schedules from "Transmissions have fluid?" to "Well I guess you should change the fluid sometimes like every other loving car."

Dang, I should have researched that a bit more - I wrote off the new 1.8t Golf 'cause I was scared of the transmission being a relation to the 01M.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

While we're at it, when should I change the fluid in my 6-speed 2010 GTI? It's got 50k miles on it and I can't find any VW service interval for it.

My 1.8t GLI got traded in at 72k miles on the original fluid. My 11 TDI got traded in at 42k on the original fluid. So...dunno.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I did the transmission oil on my 07 myself at about 75,000. It was pretty easy and inexpensive, so I figured "why not?".

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

My 1.8t GLI got traded in at 72k miles on the original fluid. My 11 TDI got traded in at 42k on the original fluid. So...dunno.

Uthor posted:

I did the transmission oil on my 07 myself at about 75,000. It was pretty easy and inexpensive, so I figured "why not?".

Either way, the answers sounds like "now now." Thanks guys.

How about brake fluid? I know VW says every 2-3 years, but if I'm going to do the brakes anyway in a year or two it's probably ok to hold off right?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

Either way, the answers sounds like "now now." Thanks guys.

How about brake fluid? I know VW says every 2-3 years, but if I'm going to do the brakes anyway in a year or two it's probably ok to hold off right?

Brakes I do at the 3-2-2-2 mark like I'm supposed to. Brakes and tires are the 2 places I don't cheap out on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

How about brake fluid?

Long overdue for me!

Speaking of, this should work with a MKV GTI, right?
http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Bleeder-Adapters-European/dp/B0002KM5L0/ref=sr_1_1

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I've been looking for a new family car, started out looking at the Sportwagen and Golf TDI, but I'd been shifting over towards the far more boring Subaru options due to the recent IIHS safety ratings on the automatic emergency braking systems for the Golf family of cars. I'm trying to reconcile the fact that while the Golf avoids all of the collisions in the Euro NCAP AEB tests, the IIHS shows it only decelerating by 1mph during the 25mph test. The IIHS test also saw poor results in on other VAG cars which I imagine use the same system?

Anyone have a clue why the Golf does so poorly in the IHS test, or know anything about the emergency braking systems used on these cars and how it compares to Subaru's Eyesight?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AriTheDog posted:

I've been looking for a new family car, started out looking at the Sportwagen and Golf TDI, but I'd been shifting over towards the far more boring Subaru options due to the recent IIHS safety ratings on the automatic emergency braking systems for the Golf family of cars. I'm trying to reconcile the fact that while the Golf avoids all of the collisions in the Euro NCAP AEB tests, the IIHS shows it only decelerating by 1mph during the 25mph test. The IIHS test also saw poor results in on other VAG cars which I imagine use the same system?

Anyone have a clue why the Golf does so poorly in the IHS test, or know anything about the emergency braking systems used on these cars and how it compares to Subaru's Eyesight?
I assume it's the same for VWs as it is for Audis. My S4 has an emergency automatic braking system but it only works at speeds above 21 mph (or something like that) below those speeds it doesn't activate, if it has activated, a chime goes off and the system stops working. It also doesn't work on stationary vehicles, the vehicle has to be in motion otherwise it'll happily let you drive into the back of it.

There is a system available on the A6 and higher models which works at speeds below 21 mph and will bring the vehicle to a complete stop but it works in conjunction with the first system I mentioned.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Hey I have a question if the VW dealer is ripping my parents off.

So recently their 2011 Jetta TDI somehow got gas in it. The dealer says it going to take several thousand $s to fix it. My dad said thats bull and all they have to do is flush the fuel system. Opinions?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

So recently their 2011 Jetta TDI somehow got gas in it. The dealer says it going to take several thousand $s to fix it. My dad said thats bull and all they have to do is flush the fuel system. Opinions?

If I remember correctly, that typically results in a grenaded high pressure fuel pump on recent diesels and the entire fuel system has to be ripped out and replaced.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

http://humblemechanic.com/2012/05/24/what-happens-when-a-tdi-is-filled-with-gas/

quote:

The TDI that was in the 2002 Jetta was a GREAT engine. We refer to is as the “ALH”. That is the code that VW uses to identify that engine. If a customer were to mis-fuel that engine the repair was simple.

Pump out the gas(it’s a diesel remember)
Change the fuel filter
Add fresh diesel fuel
purge and gas left
Drive home happy

In 2009 we got the “Common Rail”. A highly advanced very complicated TDI setup. The high power, and great fuel mileage were a huge draw. Especially since we had just seen gas prices over $4 for the first time ever. With improved sales came more mis-fuel issues. Unlike the last two generations, this TDI is not forgiving what so ever. When someone puts gas in the Common Rail (CR for short), all that is takes is cranking the engine to do damage.

If the car is started, usually it will be driven until it stops running. What that means is gas is in the entire fuel system. Due to diesel and gas having totally different lubrication properties, this makes the fuel pumps fussy. They start doing bad things like coming apart on the inside, and spraying metal throughout the fuel system. The resulting repair is fuel system replacement. Every part that fuel touches gets replaced, from fuel take to fuel injector! This repair costs about $7800 for parts and labor. OUCH!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is it hard to make a sensor that can detect what fuel is in the car? Probably couldn't be on the tank (what if there's a little bit of gas in a whole lot of diesel or it's not mixed properly?), but in the pump right after pickup that would give flashing warning lights all over and make you stop driving.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
^
From the research I did last night, different size fuel pump nozzles is suppose to be the solution. The diesel nozzle is bigger and triggers a switch and opens a latch so the fuel can come in. Gas pumps are smaller and dont trigger the latch to open.

They did this a several years ago because Americans are stupid.

Mr. Apollo posted:

$7K to fix.

Fuuuuuccckkkkk. The dealer said it would take about 5-6K. Stupid new technology fixin one thing and creating a new problem.

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005
Just bought a 2015 GSW SEL TSI. Loving it. I'm thinking about doing an APR tune on it pretty soon as everything I'm reading is saying the gas mileage remains pretty good and the gains on the 1.8T are huge. I also like the idea that I can undetectably roll it back prior to service.

This might be a stupid question but it seems pretty counter-intuitive to me. I'm in the Chicagoland area and when I search for an APR dealer, the closest one listed is my area VW dealership (The Autobarn City Volkswagen)! This seems like the last place I'd want to take my car for a warranty voiding ECU flash... why would they offer this? would you take your car there for this upgrade?

Edit: I realize there is some chatter around the Internets on this topic - anyone have any experience with a "mod friendly" dealer?

ppyy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 1, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PhazonLink posted:

^
From the research I did last night, different size fuel pump nozzles is suppose to be the solution. The diesel nozzle is bigger and triggers a switch and opens a latch so the fuel can come in. Gas pumps are smaller and dont trigger the latch to open.

They did this a several years ago because Americans are stupid.

Fuuuuuccckkkkk. The dealer said it would take about 5-6K. Stupid new technology fixin one thing and creating a new problem.

Talk to your insurance.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ppyy posted:

Just bought a 2015 GSW SEL TSI. Loving it. I'm thinking about doing an APR tune on it pretty soon as everything I'm reading is saying the gas mileage remains pretty good and the gains on the 1.8T are huge. I also like the idea that I can undetectably roll it back prior to service.

This might be a stupid question but it seems pretty counter-intuitive to me. I'm in the Chicagoland area and when I search for an APR dealer, the closest one listed is my area VW dealership (The Autobarn City Volkswagen)! This seems like the last place I'd want to take my car for a warranty voiding ECU flash... why would they offer this? would you take your car there for this upgrade?

Edit: I realize there is some chatter around the Internets on this topic - anyone have any experience with a "mod friendly" dealer?

From when I looked VW didn't have any mod friendly dealers in the sense of keeping warranties. Because of that it seems like the VW dealers that will do APR tunes tend to be on the sketchier side.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Talk to your insurance.

Yeah. If it's a misfuel on their part or bad fuel, it'll be a covered comp claim. They'll be out their deductible of course, but much better solution.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Did they run it with gas in it or just pump gas in the tank? If it's the second, the tank just needs to be drained and cleaned. If it's the first, yeah, that's not cheap. At one point VW was covering the fuel pump grenading from misfueling but I think they stopped doing that a while back. Might try to push it up the ladder and see if they'll bite?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

So i got the 15 tdi last weekend and my question is this, it seems that tdi's actually have a pretty serious breakin regime (according to the tdi hive mind forums), is this something i need to be following or is it more of an undying urban legend? I really was enjoying my 47 mpg city, but with this break in driving i am down to a measly 30mpg city.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

So i got the 15 tdi last weekend and my question is this, it seems that tdi's actually have a pretty serious breakin regime (according to the tdi hive mind forums), is this something i need to be following or is it more of an undying urban legend? I really was enjoying my 47 mpg city, but with this break in driving i am down to a measly 30mpg city.

I never bothered on my 11 TDI. I got a solid 40 mpg combined over the 4 years I had it. I drove it like I stole it most days and still got good mileage. My R has already seen redline more than a few times and I haven't broken 1000 miles yet ><

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My mom has a 2012 A3 TDI and normal gas pumps fit it fine :( and her insurance carrier wouldn't cover it. The local dealer charged $700 to drain the gallon of fuel and flush everything and clean injectors and fuel filter. She only put a gallon in it and never turned the key, they confirmed no gas was in the filter. It could have been worse!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Okay, so I've determined that I need to replace the valve stem seals on my beleaguered mark 4 2.0L. The Bentley has all these specialized tools that they're listing and I'm hoping that someone has some alternatives for me. I'll be buying the spring compressor, cuz that'll probably be used again, and it looks like people have had luck seating the seals with a 10mm deep socket, but beyond that, I'm looking for a camshaft spanner, tensioner, seal extractor, and that goofy slide hammer. I'd prefer to leave the engine in the car while I do this, but I plan on removing the head.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

scuz posted:

Okay, so I've determined that I need to replace the valve stem seals on my beleaguered mark 4 2.0L. The Bentley has all these specialized tools that they're listing and I'm hoping that someone has some alternatives for me. I'll be buying the spring compressor, cuz that'll probably be used again, and it looks like people have had luck seating the seals with a 10mm deep socket, but beyond that, I'm looking for a camshaft spanner, tensioner, seal extractor, and that goofy slide hammer. I'd prefer to leave the engine in the car while I do this, but I plan on removing the head.
I forgot the various tools needed off hand - it's been 5+ years now since I last did one of those. But if you're pulling the head and changing seals, I'd have a machine shop at least check value guides and possibly replace them all. IMO it's part of a head job if you have over ~150k on it. Otherwise you'll be back in there... Sometimes the guides are perfect, or well within spec, but they're often also the reason the seals failed.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

I forgot the various tools needed off hand - it's been 5+ years now since I last did one of those. But if you're pulling the head and changing seals, I'd have a machine shop at least check value guides and possibly replace them all. IMO it's part of a head job if you have over ~150k on it. Otherwise you'll be back in there... Sometimes the guides are perfect, or well within spec, but they're often also the reason the seals failed.
Drats, the manual mentioned that about the guides. The engine just ticked over 125k (went through a full 4.2 quarts of oil in a month, by the by) so I may as well do that. Any harm in just straight up replacing the guides without bothering with the machine shop? I'm a big, impatient gorilla and they're only $3.40 each from RockAuto; not exactly bank-breaking.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

scuz posted:

Drats, the manual mentioned that about the guides. The engine just ticked over 125k (went through a full 4.2 quarts of oil in a month, by the by) so I may as well do that. Any harm in just straight up replacing the guides without bothering with the machine shop? I'm a big, impatient gorilla and they're only $3.40 each from RockAuto; not exactly bank-breaking.
I have never researched a DIY guide replace. I'm sure it's possible but you'd need a good press jig.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

need a good press jig.
...and I'm taking the head to a shop.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: wrong thread

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 2, 2015

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

fknlo posted:

Did they run it with gas in it or just pump gas in the tank? If it's the second, the tank just needs to be drained and cleaned. If it's the first, yeah, that's not cheap. At one point VW was covering the fuel pump grenading from misfueling but I think they stopped doing that a while back. Might try to push it up the ladder and see if they'll bite?

Yeah they drove it for a bit. The damage is already done, but we still tried to figure out when the gas was put. We live in a state where they pump the gas. Sounds like it's not our fault but .

veedubfreak posted:

Talk to your insurance.

In the rpocess of doing this, but looking online at similar stories, seems insurance is unlikely to cover it. I checked the insurance website and the documents, and it seems a bit unclear.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

scuz posted:

...and I'm taking the head to a shop.

Yah, I suggest that. And I'm all about the DIY! I would pop the valves out myself and remove seals and then ask a quality shop about it. Sometimes they're 100% fine (on BMW's/Benz's at least.. I have only done full head jobs on 1.8t's, always new guides.. Only done a few though) but not always. You can measure the tilt spec as well, but most machinists basically and hand-measure it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah they drove it for a bit. The damage is already done, but we still tried to figure out when the gas was put. We live in a state where they pump the gas. Sounds like it's not our fault but .

In the rpocess of doing this, but looking online at similar stories, seems insurance is unlikely to cover it. I checked the insurance website and the documents, and it seems a bit unclear.

And that's the reason no one but me ever drove or filled up my TDI. Most states that require a pump jockey allow you to do your own diesel I thought. Either way, I don't miss having the fuel pump time bomb looming over my head, even though my mileage went from 40 combined to only 26 combined. But then again, my R is so much more fun than my TDI was. And it makes glorious noises.