Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

A Darkseid/Trigon buddy comedy is all they need. It's funny they never did anything with them in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

It'd be one thing if it actually upset me. The writer's attempts at being petulant and in particular the episodes that are about them having a go at the original and Young Justice have all the offence (and comedic value) of an episode of Teletubbies.

I came here expecting a grand old time ("Yeah, it IS stupid that their main bad guy was just this random dood in a mask who they couldn't even name properly in 2003 and, wow, let it go about Young Justice.") and they haven't brought anything as much as a game to the table, let alone their a-game.

Hell, making a roast out of Slade should have been the best drat thing about the show but instead they throw that away to rub it in people's faces that they get exactly why the people who are actually pissed at the show and it's success are as they are.

I can't wait to see how they squander the open goal of Weird Al voicing Darksied because they're going to have to pull out all the stops to be not funny there.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This doesn't upset me, now, despite it playing into the post I'm responding to, let me right several paragraphs about why I don't like the show and how I will continue watching to see how I will continue to not like the show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Do Not like" does not mean "I am actively upset by".

But, eh, my disliking its brand of comedy isn't stopping it from being, to quote the ad campaign "Your new Favourite Show" and that's that. I'm just saying it being highly rated doesn't make it funny.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 31, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, you've been posting how much you dislike the show since it was first announced in 2013 and you post about how you dislike it every time it's brought up, yet you watched something as recent Return of Slade for some reason, as episode that aired a little over a month ago. Why do you keep watching this show you dislike so much?

Also the point of the post saying it's popular wasn't that it meant it was objectively good, more that comedies full of assholes are still going in full swing.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 31, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Buttlord: Crush Saga is already a classic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Seriously, you've been posting how much you dislike the show since it was first announced in 2013 and you post about how you dislike it every time it's brought up, yet you watched something as recent Return of Slade for some reason, as episode that aired a little over a month ago. Why do you keep watching this show you dislike so much?

It being in front of shows I want to watch, mostly. Same thing that got me to watch Sailor Moon back when Digimon aired on Fox Kids (UK).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 31, 2015

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I think TTG is funny and my whole family watches it together. Haters can :dealwithit:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
TTG is hilarious, and part of that hilarity is watching the butthurt of people on the internet about it, followed by them denying that they're butthurt, followed by the show itself making fun of that butthurt, making the people on the internet more butthurt.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I like the ones that claim the morals are objectionable when they're clearly riffing on cliched cartoon morals myself. Still I've come to the conclusion that the humour is very love it or hate it (most who dislike it say it's gotten worse while I think it's gotten much, much better,a few stretches of mediocre episodes aside: it's hit or miss but what you consider a hit and what you consider a miss is very personal, as it is with shows that just throw every idea they can at the audience to see what sticks).

Back on topic though, I think that Gravity Falls hits a sort of sweet spot between irreverent cynicism and genuine heartfelt emotion though; the characters care for each other even though they can drive each other around the bend due to very real character flaws. It feels very real and at the same time can very easily be twisted for comedy: Grunkle Stan is one of my favourite characters in children's animation period. Steven Universe is technically a better show by far, but it's just a touch too saccharine to be my personal favourite.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 1, 2015

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
TTG was funny for two, maybe three episodes. Then you know all the jokes and realize your TV is screaming at you for twenty straight minutes, like The Fairly Oddparents. Then you watch about a minute of it wishing Gumball was on instead and it doesn't get any better. Then you find yourself complaining about on the Internet like that's going to do any good.

It's still better than eight million reruns of Johnny Test, but I want Bugs Bunny back.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
TTG is pretty great, though it does have its weak episodes here and there, but seeing the cast all interact and react to the impossibly dumb and hilarious stuff that goes on in their lives is great. Some days they're all just more likable versions of their TT characterizations and other days they're It's Always Funny In Philadelphia for Kids

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There are new episodes of Gumball all week at seven. The one today was pretty good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, my dvr did not record Gumball nor is it deciding to record most episodes this week. Thanks for letting me know so I could remedy that. Also thankfully when they do thus they rerun the previous day's episode after the new one so I can just see today's tomorrow.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I unironically enjoy Sonic Boom. It's not great, it's not groundbreaking, and it's not consistent, but the humor is decently executed and it's nice to see the Sonic series getting taken down a peg. Knuckles and Eggman are by far the best characters on the show, and there are some genuinely clever moments peppered throughout - it's very self-aware, and I appreciate that.

That said, the characters don't emote very well, everything looks kinda plasticy, and the jokes are very stream-of-consciousness which is fine except when it clashes with weird set pieces like the Justin Bieber parody (:wtc:). There's just something off about the whole thing, and I don't know what it is.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 1, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, there's nothing new aboput assholes in comedy, it's just at a certain point the assholes became more annoying and central.
Some of my favorite comedy shows involve assholes as the main character(s)- Archer, Bojack Horseman, and Difficult People come to mind. But those shows all do a good job of reminding us that they're not good people and we shouldn't emulate them- as opposed to shows like Girls, where the main characters are horrible but we're supposed to tolerate them because Lena Dunham said so.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Y-Hat posted:

Some of my favorite comedy shows involve assholes as the main character(s)- Archer, Bojack Horseman, and Difficult People come to mind. But those shows all do a good job of reminding us that they're not good people and we shouldn't emulate them- as opposed to shows like Girls, where the main characters are horrible but we're supposed to tolerate them because Lena Dunham said so.

I love 'Girls' and I feel like it does a better job of "THESE CHARACTERS ARE FLAWED PEOPLE" than the other shows you mentioned. Archer basically glorifies assholeishness. I don't know how to explain this but it does that thing lots of fiction does where character flaws are portrayed in exactly the right way so that they are NEVER off-putting. Everything Archer says is the kind of thing normal people say when they're joking with friends. In the context of the show Archer is not joking, but it still reads to the audience as hilarious and relatable because that's how they talk to their friends. It's never uncomfortable or off-putting.

That's what I love about 'Girls' though. It's still exaggerated for comedy, but the character flaws are extremely realistic and three dimensional. The show lets character flaws create uncomfortable and off-putting moments because that's how it is in real life. It's not idealized.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 1, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It being in front of shows I want to watch, mostly. Same thing that got me to watch Sailor Moon back when Digimon aired on Fox Kids (UK).

Well do you think you can just fume about it silently and not post about it anymore because literally nobody gives a gently caress

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Another thing about Sonic Boom - I'm watching the earlier episodes now, and I gotta say, it gets a lot better as time goes on. It seems to have hit its stride right about now, whereas season 1 is kind of painful to watch.

It does seem like later seasons focus more on the comedy than on the action scenes - likely because it's cheaper to produce.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 1, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I meant to give sonic boom a watch because I thought there was a chance it could be funny. However, bogleech, noted internet tapeworms and slug collector and enthusiast, fictional monster reviewer, and viewer of many shows far below our collective age group said:

quote:

I never cared about Sonic before, but when I watch Sonic Boom, it pains me how it has all the elements of something good but feels devoid of energy and love.

The animation, the writing, and acting, it all feels half-asleep. They don’t even animate Sonic to actually look like he moves fast. They just give him normal looking running speed with fancy blur effects. Long periods are awkwardly devoid of sound effects or music. Facial expressions are stiff and lifeless. Jokes are paced like they’re carefully reading from cue cards.

Just 20% more passion and they’d have a good cartoon.

Orbot and Cubot are lovable though.
This is someone who liked problem solverz, pacman: the ghostly adventures, and the netflix show about the racing snails, so if a goofy cartoon is below his standards it must be really, really dull.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I said it last time it was brought up, but Sonic Boom is so close to a good show that it annoys me more than shows that are outright bad. It feels with just a little more effort it could have been so much better. It seems like it's made by someone who is good and talented but could also not care less about this job and is trying to get by with as little effort as possible until they can actually do something they want to do.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, it's not perfect. That's what's bugging me about it - there is something missing about the show, and I just can't put my finger on what it is. The "half-asleep" description is as close as it gets to accurate.

It is just so close to great, and yet so far.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It really needs to go all in on the silly, like have it bask in the insanity of the likes of Glitch Jump Knuckles (which I think was just a bit of coincidental kismit between the show and the game and nothing deliberate) and Dood in a Sonic Costume taking out the rubbish stuff and such so if there's a second season (and, honestly it's about 50/50 between CN's graveyard timeslot, the comic being axed and the games really not going anywhere for Sega and the quality of the show itself) they'll probably have those ironed out to get over the line.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They definitely need to roll in the silly, show's got it good episodes but a consistent problem is the lack of energy, there are scenes where there's just no music and literally nothing going on, and i'm not talking about awkward silence jokes, just bits that feel like everyone's too tired to keep up the show and need a break for a minute.

That said, sometimes it does deliver, just last week there was an episode where Amy wins an unselfishness award (which she nominated herself for) and Sonic & Knuckles do housekeeping for her. Nachos get spilled on the couch so they enter a best buddies show to win the narrative convenient prize of the week, a new couch, but the producer doesn't like their chemistry so he pairs up Sonic and Eggman. It's a bunch of cliches, but it's just self-aware enough (or too much) that it's funny "You and Eggman?! I thought this was a Sonic and Knuckles episode!" the ending was exactly the kind of stuff they should always be doing Dave the Intern and some old walrus lady win the contest and immediately spill nachos on the couch, so Sonic and Knuckles wait until Amy comes back home and throw a missile into her house, destroying the couch before she realizes its stained and they put the blame on Eggman.

I think it has a decent chance at getting a second season, the comic is ending, sure, but so is Megaman. As great as Archie is it's still the good ol' dying industry of comics. The game's actually getting a sequel, albeit only the 3DS version, but that's still an investment so some numbers must've reached a welcome minimum. The release schedule seems fine for CN, it's not up there with the big hitters but it seems to be doing fine along with the saturday morning shows like Pokemon and it got two bomb weeks, so long as it doesn't air the last ten episodes all together I think we can look forward to another season that will hopefully be more energetic.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 1, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Sonic Boom shouldn't be CG. The stiff/slow animation is super awkward and just contributes to the weird low-energy feel of the show. Or at the very least, they could stop trying to be "smooth" with it cut out some transition frames so that characters sort of "snap" from pose to pose. Anything to give it more energy.

It's obviously supposed to be TTG with Sonic characters (and a similarly low budget) so why not go whole-(hedge)hog and copy the cheap Toon Boom animation style.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Dumb question but when did things transition from Flash to Toon Boom?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You know what I don't miss constantly seeing the commercials for? shows like Levelup and other life action filler.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They have instead been replaced with ads for apps or games on the website. This is an improvement but really not a very big one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

ConanThe3rd posted:

Dumb question but when did things transition from Flash to Toon Boom?

When adobe stopped developing with animation as a priority, which was sometime around 2011. Then active flash was killed entirely two years later.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

When adobe stopped developing with animation as a priority, which was sometime around 2011. Then active flash was killed entirely two years later.

Good loving riddance. Too bad nobody will ever make cel-based animation ever again, but atleast that's better than flash

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I have finally caught up with all but the latest Wander Over Yonder and I love it. (The shorts were hilarious, especially 'The Glitch'.)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

xcheopis posted:

I have finally caught up with all but the latest Wander Over Yonder and I love it. (The shorts were hilarious, especially 'The Glitch'.)

Wander Over Yonder really is great. I'd put it in the top tier of kids' shows on now, up there with Gravity Falls and Steven Universe. It's easy to dismiss it after watching the first couple episodes, but it finds its footing pretty quickly and season 2 has just been fantastic so far. "The Wanders" from last night might be my favorite episode of the show.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pakled posted:

Wander Over Yonder really is great. I'd put it in the top tier of kids' shows on now, up there with Gravity Falls and Steven Universe. It's easy to dismiss it after watching the first couple episodes, but it finds its footing pretty quickly and season 2 has just been fantastic so far. "The Wanders" from last night might be my favorite episode of the show.

I knew I was going to like it when the first few seconds of dialogue in the first episode included "dingleberries".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

icantfindaname posted:

Good loving riddance. Too bad nobody will ever make cel-based animation ever again, but atleast that's better than flash

Seeing pre-Flash vector animation is kinda cool, it makes me wonder if anybody will ever try using it intentionally for artistic effect because it still looks really different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ek076NK6Rw

If you go far enough back there were even attempt at using analog computers for 2d animation in the 70s and early 80s but it never really caught on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlHbhOyV6Qo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Apparently Sonic Boom is made in France, just like the most recent Garfield animated series. Keep trying, Frenchies, maybe you'll make a good show out of a beloved franchise someday!

I'm glad Flash is finished as a way of making animation. You can always tell that a show was gonna suck if you saw those telltale thick black outlines around the characters.

Bass Bottles posted:

Archer basically glorifies assholeishness.
I 100% disagree with you, but we're not exactly in the right thread for this debate.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Archer glorifies assholeishness in the same way that Master Shake or Eddy or Cartman glorifies assholeishness. Which is to say, he doesn't. In that, they are constantly shown to be in the wrong and big pieces of poo poo to their friends and frequently get their comeuppance.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think it's more the necessary paradox that Archer is supposed to be an rear end in a top hat in universe, but everything he says is actually hilarious. Still not someone you would like to meet.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 2, 2015

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Really, most of the characters on Archer are assholes in one way or another.

Arguably, Krieger is the least assholish of the main characters.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pakled posted:

I think that was one of my favorite episodes of the series too. I've adored this show since it started and I'm glad it's getting more attention recently.

Ps Sylvia is my role model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw a few Season 1 episodes of Wander Over Yonder and liked what I saw. I gotta get on that.