Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So what's the gameplay for XOmega actually like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
From all the trailers so far, straight up Plants vs Zombies with passable 3D SD models. I'm not really sure why Bandai Namco was releasing like 12 seconds clips of really generic looking attacks for a while, but they sure did.

I'm actually surprised they used full body portraits for the conversation scenes, though they might just be recycling art from previous games.

EDIT: Ahahah now that I think about it, Cross Omega is the first game to not have at least one of Macross Frontier, Dancougar Nova, or SEED Destiny. It's also the first to straight up bring back the original trinity of Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, and UC Gundam. :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 27, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pureauthor posted:

So what's the gameplay for XOmega actually like?

Plants vs Zombies with rpg elements. Download Chain Chronicles, it will be 90% like that, except with SRW.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

It has a plot (hell it was specifically marketed as "yes, this still has a plot") so yeah, actually, having a bunch of series does mean something. They could screw that up, of course, but until it actually happens I'm not going to be down on a game that has both ZZ and Unicorn because god drat that is great.

But OE had a plot and had a whole shitload of series and look how that turned out. :v:

I don't begrudge Banpresto putting out sideline games to help fund the mainline ones at all, but history has shown us over and over that basically every attempt Banpresto has made at making a game that isn't a straight up mainline SRW is barely mediocre at best. We've had Scramble Commanders, Infinite Battle, SRW Gakuen...I can't think of a single game that they put out since Alpha that wasn't a basic SRW game that was actually really good, and I'm somebody who eats up their older non-SRW games like the Great Battle series. Banpresto is honestly kind of a lovely game developer if forced outside a couple of very specific niches.

It would be extremely rad if it actually ends up being an engaging game but my expectation is that Plants vs Zombies with giant robots is probably going to be an afternoon waster at most.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Okay, seriously, have I missed something and the game includes actual tactical gameplay and good animations instead of that glorified Plants vs Zombies stuff from the trailers? Because I'm really getting tired of hearing about Cross Omega like it's something worth actually caring about.

A Plants vs Zombies clone would have more relevant tactical choices than the usual SRW title, I feel.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh huh, guess that finally solves that naming debacle.

Also I had no idea the 00 backup designer guy worked on J's enemies and W's protagonists. Hell, he did Metal Gear Rising.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Shoutouts to Bandai Namco for letting me start up Gundam Battle Operation Next and even have a system language adapted TOS agreement when registering to play but not actually letting anyone not playing on a Japanese PSN account connect to anyone. If you didn't want people outside of Japan playing your game, why didn't you just IP lock it like Dragon's Dogma Online? I spent an hour match making before I tried my JP PSN account on a lark and I got a match in seconds.

The final version is okay. They fixed the syncing bug so I can actually hit people but I have no idea what I'm doing and no clue what any of the parts/modules/skills do so I'll just wait for some guy on GameFAQs to translate it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Are we due for another G Generation? Probably not until after the new series is well underway, right?

G Generation may kind of be dead. It's been a long time since we've gotten one. The last big one didn't even have past the first generation of AGE or later parts of Unicorn.

So we've literally got three and a half TV series worth of content to add.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Oh so XOmega is going to like, have some sort of a story? I was fearing like, Pokemon Rumble where it's just a daily "HERE HAVE A RANDOM ENEMY FROM THAT ONE SHOW" with no context.

I at least hope the gameplay isn't abysmally monotonous? There's possibly something to be said for an SRW that is a little more condensed in nature - handful of enemies, then a boss, then likely rather brief exposition since its a mobile game so likely not enormous text dumping, rinse and repeat.

And you said it's possible for it to be played outside of Japan? ...man I'm kinda hoping if it's indeed not super text heavy that they somehow manage to translate it and bypass licensing issues by it technically not being released outside Japan or however that works for mobile games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

also, to people who might be curious, project x zone 2's demo is apparently showing pretty positive signs of increasing the pace and reducing the ridiculous amounts of enemies. animations are faster and there's less load times.

also phoenix and maya are in it

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I don't really have anything towards F2P and mobile games but my gut feeling tells me Bandai Namco isn't going to pull off an FF Record Keeper style F2P SRW game.

Now that particular game still has issues like being vastly simplified compared to its source material of "SNES Final Fantasy games" but it's still somewhat of an attempt at trying to keep to the spirit of things with actual gameplay value. Which X Omega doesn't really seem to be doing.

I do hope they prove me wrong though since even JP companies are starting to wise up to the fact that you can't just laze through mobile game design and still earn gangbusters now since the market is so saturated but eh, I'm not much of an optimist.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

I don't really have anything towards F2P and mobile games but my gut feeling tells me Bandai Namco isn't going to pull off an FF Record Keeper style F2P SRW game.

Now that particular game still has issues like being vastly simplified compared to its source material of "SNES Final Fantasy games" but it's still somewhat of an attempt at trying to keep to the spirit of things with actual gameplay value. Which X Omega doesn't really seem to be doing.

I do hope they prove me wrong though since even JP companies are starting to wise up to the fact that you can't just laze through mobile game design and still earn gangbusters now since the market is so saturated but eh, I'm not much of an optimist.

FF Record Keeper is distinguished by being easily the most engaging and simple FF title in the past ten years, mobile be damned.

In contrast, I'm afraid Son Ryo might be on the money with his description of "Plants vs. Zombies" type combat in Cross Omega, unfortunately. :( I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's proven wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Seriously just download Chain Chronicles if you're that curious about the gameplay, because it's almost the exact same. If it's the same structure outside combat, it's going to be a relatively dense game with an actual double-digit chapter story with companion quests.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

As far as people can tell, BX does not use UX's secret carryover system, which kinda sucks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

As far as people can tell, BX does not use UX's secret carryover system, which kinda sucks.

Why on earth would they go backwards on that? Is it because BX barely has any path splits?

Speaking of BX I'm about 25 stages in and my biggest complaint is that there have been multiple stages where they just just throw a super powerful ally unit into the stage who steals all your kills because the enemy almost solely attack them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ethiser posted:

Why on earth would they go backwards on that? Is it because BX barely has any path splits?

Speaking of BX I'm about 25 stages in and my biggest complaint is that there have been multiple stages where they just just throw a super powerful ally unit into the stage who steals all your kills because the enemy almost solely attack them.

Ah yes, the phenomenon most commonly known as Tobikage syndrome.

At least there aren't any missions where there's things you have to NOT kill this time, as far as I've found...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Apparently people are having issues in BX with Awakened Unicorn crashing the game when it attacks. There doesn't seem to be much consistency to the problems beyond the Unicorn being involved though.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Apparently X-Omega will also be having Dorvack, Albegas, and Code Geass OZ The Reflection in a way that sorta sounds like DLC but heck if I know anything about Japanese.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If this means we are one step closer to Arbegas showing up in a regular SRW one of these days I'm all for it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

GimmickMan posted:

If this means we are one step closer to Arbegas showing up in a regular SRW one of these days I'm all for it.

Now I want Albegas, Go-Lion, Dairugger XV, and Daltanious to be in the same game so we can make a bunch of Voltron jokes(include Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada for Robotech jokes while we're at it)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I still hope if they have Dairugger and GoLion in the same game they get a combination attack. IIRC there was an original Voltron special where the two did stuff together so

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Still waiting on Granzort, Rayearth and more Brave series.

Would've had Zone of the Enders on that list but... :arghfist::qq:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I haven't been paying attention lately

Have they announced Xenoglossia yet?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Miku got into UX, yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brunom1 posted:

Still waiting on Granzort, Rayearth and more Brave series.

Would've had Zone of the Enders on that list but... :arghfist::qq:

In ym dreams, one day, we get a game with both Xenogears and G Gundam in it.

One Day, Master Asia/Grahf evil bro team, one day...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

In more BX news, it seems people are pretty stumped on how to reliably get the secret final stage. The most common theories are that you have to get a certain number of secret units per playthrough.

And since Secrets don't carry over... well, wait for the PB, I guess?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's probably a point total thing like most games with secret units being one of the things that gives points.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

Now I want Albegas, Go-Lion, Dairugger XV, and Daltanious to be in the same game so we can make a bunch of Voltron jokes(include Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada for Robotech jokes while we're at it)

Add in Voltron Force and 3D too. All the Voltrons!!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

For the like two people who actually play the game in this thread, the Fantasy Maiden Wars P translation patch has actually translated the main story now. It's still in editing so don't expect it to be perfect, but it's progress.

Editing's done. Everything in the main story's been translated except some of less optimal branching story paths and a bunch of the boss convos in the first half of the game.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hey, did you ever wonder what a live action Gundam thing made in the west would be like? No?

Too Bad. Featuring the Federation equivalent to the Zaku Tank, Gundam Tank. The game was apparently localized for Japan with bad kung-fu movie level voice to action editing.

:wtc: is all I could think of when I found out this was a thing that existed.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Time to watch G Saviour.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ashsaber posted:

Hey, did you ever wonder what a live action Gundam thing made in the west would be like? No?

Too Bad. Featuring the Federation equivalent to the Zaku Tank, Gundam Tank. The game was apparently localized for Japan with bad kung-fu movie level voice to action editing.

:wtc: is all I could think of when I found out this was a thing that existed.

eh that actually wasn't that awful

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

drrockso20 posted:

eh that actually wasn't that awful

How could you possibly hope to defeat a John Warrior?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Gaogaigar doesn't suffer too horribly in BX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAHjAQDSuLQ

Mike Sounders 13 is just the saddest loving thing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kugXS-jFKlw

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Gaogaigar doesn't suffer too horribly in BX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAHjAQDSuLQ

Mike Sounders 13 is just the saddest loving thing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kugXS-jFKlw

Don't know why they even bothered with Mike if they weren't going to spring for Power of Desire and the Disk X song.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...Man I do sorta hope they just, cram in more of the portable games into OG sooner rather than later, because the true final boss of BX is...a piece of work

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Turns out akurasu will let just about anything on the wiki.

Most of the pages are skeletons for now, but there's still a decent amount of information.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BlitzBlast posted:

Turns out akurasu will let just about anything on the wiki.

Most of the pages are skeletons for now, but there's still a decent amount of information.

And yet nothing on Masou Kishin...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't anything about Touhou, how are those fantasy war games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I don't anything about Touhou, how are those fantasy war games?
They're actually really, really good, and have a lot of unique mechanics that improve the SRW formula a lot.

Unit balance is a little all over the place though, and unlike SRW the games are challenging enough (at least on Hard) that that actually matters.

• Locked thread