Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I keep having a single notification in the mother base tab, a single soldier with that white dot to the left of his name. How do I get rid of it? What is the dot trying to tell me!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Ok someone for the love of god please help me with mission ?12? which is metal gear and rescue hal. I am extracting and metal gear is JUMPING UP and blowing my helicopter up, and it REALLY sucks. Do I aim for a specific part of it or what? I've spent hours doing this 'surprise mission 12', I thought I was just doing a side op. Like 3 hours at least.

edit: I am trying again (and I know I'll die at the end again) and it told me to equip the chicken hat. gently caress you game.

edit 2: got it: this time miller actually said "USE THE MINIGUN" and it actually overheated before the final 'reaction' part but it exploded as it jumped at me.

redreader fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 2, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Try to not finish missions while standing right in the middle of a camp that normally has a handful of soldiers surrounding you because it'll respawn everything when the cutscene and reward screens end :downs:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

redreader posted:

Ok someone for the love of god please help me with mission ?12? which is metal gear and rescue hal. I am extracting and metal gear is JUMPING UP and blowing my helicopter up, and it REALLY sucks. Do I aim for a specific part of it or what? I've spent hours doing this 'surprise mission 12', I thought I was just doing a side op. Like 3 hours at least.

edit: I am trying again (and I know I'll die at the end again) and it told me to equip the chicken hat. gently caress you game.

I shot about half of the Flying Cannister things, then straight minigunned Metal Gear in the face as he started leaping towards me Got it in one go, even though I had no idea what the gently caress was going on.

RE: Online. I just logged in to do my GZ-PP transfer and got 15 MB funbux for my daily. But I did notice that crazy lag when opening my development window, but had no idea it was tied to the Online connection, I thought it was just trying to load a poo poo ton of projects because I transferred everyone with a C or higher into R&D and Support so I could start unlocking cool poo poo like Rawket Lawnchairs and level 3 sleeper pistols. And loud as gently caress tranq rifles.

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 2, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

redreader posted:

Just blast it with the mini-gun.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

BottleKnight posted:

I keep having a single notification in the mother base tab, a single soldier with that white dot to the left of his name. How do I get rid of it? What is the dot trying to tell me!?

Similar question: Miller and Kaz keep sitting in the unassigned tab at Motherbase. Why can't I assign them to some unit? It annoys me, I'd like that tab to be empty :)

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I set Big Boss' birthday to today (same as mine). My crew threw me a surprise party!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

beedeebee posted:

Similar question: Miller and Kaz keep sitting in the unassigned tab at Motherbase. Why can't I assign them to some unit? It annoys me, I'd like that tab to be empty :)
Kaz is healing and Ocelot is waiting for his favorite department to open. Keep doing main missions.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I figured out what the circle means when someone spots you! Hopefully no one has said it, but when the circle is outside the line, the person is 'above' you, or you need to look up to see them (if you look at the ground when spotted it will show an 'above' indicator for example), circle is inside the line when they are below you, and when they are roughly in front of you it sits on the line.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How long is the game, roughly?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kurtofan posted:

6 hours. 6 and a half with the pre-order DLC mission.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

No clue how many missions there are, but I played all day yesterday and was sitting at like 7% completion after doing seven main missions and a ton of side ops.

Though keep in mind that the game seems like Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes, in that most of your play time will come from running through the same areas a lot. This isn't a knock on the game or anything; this stuff is fun to do.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Manatee Cannon posted:

I just looked up a video on Youtube because it's so annoying just getting around the place. This is the one if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29b7ojIMhR4

God drat, same problem, same solution. Thank you. Are the other ones as crazy lay-out as this one?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kurtofan posted:

The reviewer consensus seemed to be its possible to main line the story in 30-40 hours but a comfortable completion will be 50+

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lothire posted:

God drat, same problem, same solution. Thank you. Are the other ones as crazy lay-out as this one?

I've done all of the ones I have access to and that's by far the hardest. Still got lost looking for the more dickish ones on most of the others, but this is the only one I couldn't get on my own. Medical was the easiest.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jeez Doc maybe you should be preparing the syringe before you tell him poo poo he's gonna freak out over.

Also couldn't stop laughing at the escape sequence in the ambulance.
"Man Ishmael slow down I don't think they're chasing us any~~" *Sees a flaming ball in the sky* :stonk:

Fun fact: If you die in the intro Kiefer starts going "Don't you die on me Ishmael! Ishmael!!!!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
My life was changed forever when I learned that you could maim people with normally lethal rifles and extract them while they rolled around on the ground whining about their legs. Given that all the missions are now leaning toward huge sprawling environments with tons of guards I really, really want a silenced sniper rifle. Instead the jerks on my base keep offering lots of killing weapons. Pacifism is hard work. :saddowns:

On the online side of things, I like how Konami allowed me to log in long enough to apologize for downtime and advertise their daily check-ins before never letting me log back in. The daily awards need to be much greater considering that you'll need to camp that login screen forever to try to secure a connection.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where is DD on base?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Fun fact: If you die in the intro Kiefer starts going "Don't you die on me Ishmael! Ishmael!!!!
I got "Don't you die on me Ahab!" also by Queefer. wtf is going on in this game

Also does the FOB stuff work at all yet? I haven't even been able to log in to the servers but I'm curious as to whether anyone's managed an invasion

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
CE dropped off yesterday and I played a few hours between last night and this morning. Fun, beautiful, smooth. Just fultoned the commander in A Hero's Way and MB is slowly filling. But now I leave my PS4 for 8 days. I'll check back then when y'all are finishing the game. :ocelot:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there any way to destroy the blue light satellites you come across in bases without making a huge noise?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are there missions like the chopper assault in GZ? Please don't give me a specific mission, a yes or no is all I'm after.

I don't know how I did it but I saw the reveal trailer years ago and immediately forgot about the game until last week. I've never gone into a game more line than this. :D

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Whoever designed the... R&D platform is an rear end in a top hat

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Are there missions like the chopper assault in GZ? Please don't give me a specific mission, a yes or no is all I'm after.

I don't know how I did it but I saw the reveal trailer years ago and immediately forgot about the game until last week. I've never gone into a game more line than this. :D

You can make any mission you want into a chopper assault.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Got through the prologue last night, my wife was watching and we were both trying to decipher everything we saw (or didn't see). It's as much fun to play as it is to endlessly speculate as to where we think the story is going or what we think some hidden twists are. Like the brief clip that takes place at outer heaven.

What's the point of making our own avatar? Is it an online only related thing? Or does it have some purpose for the main story as well?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the point of making our own avatar? Is it an online only related thing? Or does it have some purpose for the main story as well?
I figure it's for MGO or a specific soldier you get at some point.

I just skipped it and went with one of the fugly presets. Maybe you'll have the option down the line to redo it.

Also intro stuff
That was Quiet, right? Please tell me we can get that cool suit for her.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can redo it in the iDroid menu in the helicopter. The faces that come out are impressive but I lost interest when I realised I couldn't make my guy look like Wario.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Man, gently caress you Ocelot, telling me you don't have time to be my Russian interpreter.

Gonna punch you in the face as soon as I get back to Mother Base.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does anyone know if there's an in-game way to pause tapes? I hate my expo-dumps being talked over by Kaz's mission dialogue and it always takes me a good 5-10 seconds to fumble through the iDroid menu to stop it the tape playing.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Wade Wilson posted:

Man, gently caress you Ocelot, telling me you don't have time to be my Russian interpreter.

Gonna punch you in the face as soon as I get back to Mother Base.

If only the shrapnel hadn't pierced the part of Big Boss's brain that controls knowing russian.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That One Bossfight You Know Which One. Holyshit. Gonna replay it ASAP. This is how you make open-world bosses.

Brinstar Brew posted:

If only the shrapnel hadn't pierced the part of Big Boss's brain that controls knowing russian.

And then those nine years of not using any language while also being in a coma.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 2, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I've played through the Prologue. Prologue Stuff --> I am still not sure if bandage guy is just a figment of my imagination. I'm sure eventually that will be revealed in the game. The only thing that makes me pause about him not being real is that in the course of the prologue I accidentally shot him, which immediately put me in a fail state. The game over screen said "Time Paradox." I don't know if that means I really accidentally shot myself, or if he is a real person that needs to be alive for the storyline of the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mailer posted:

My life was changed forever when I learned that you could maim people with normally lethal rifles and extract them while they rolled around on the ground whining about their legs. Given that all the missions are now leaning toward huge sprawling environments with tons of guards I really, really want a silenced sniper rifle. Instead the jerks on my base keep offering lots of killing weapons. Pacifism is hard work. :saddowns:

On the online side of things, I like how Konami allowed me to log in long enough to apologize for downtime and advertise their daily check-ins before never letting me log back in. The daily awards need to be much greater considering that you'll need to camp that login screen forever to try to secure a connection.

If it's anything like the Bloodborne servers then logins should be smoother after a few days.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

MrLonghair posted:

And then those nine years of not using any language while also being in a coma.

Kojima said in an interview that he forgot Russian because of the brain damage

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I asked this last night but i think it got missed in the speed of the thread.

I'm on a GTX970 and cranked everything up to max. The gameplay and ingame cutscenes work perfectly, but 2 cut-scenes that i've seen so far (that i think are pre-rendered) don't. There was one during the intro and then there's the flashback to Ground Zeroes you gt during the helicopter scene at the end of the first mission.

I'm not quite sure what the issue might be and if my settings would have any bearing on it if it's pre-rendered. Particularly as every other bit of the game is running flawlessly.

Anyone else encountered this?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kin posted:

I'm on a GTX970 and cranked everything up to max. The gameplay and ingame cutscenes work perfectly, but 2 cut-scenes that i've seen so far (that i think are pre-rendered) don't. There was one during the intro and then there's the flashback to Ground Zeroes you gt during the helicopter scene at the end of the first mission.

I'm not quite sure what the issue might be and if my settings would have any bearing on it if it's pre-rendered. Particularly as every other bit of the game is running flawlessly.

I'm having this issue as well on a Radeon 6870. Weirdly, the prologue was fine but the GZ flashback ran terribly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kin posted:

I'm using the same card and while I wouldn't say I've had issues with the pre-rendered scenes, but there's a noticeable frame drop and a very slight lagginess to them. There's probably not much that can be done about it, and it looks like there wont be many of them in the game anyway. :shrug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zedprime posted:

The reviewer consensus seemed to be its possible to main line the story in 30-40 hours but a comfortable completion will be 50+

Oh so it's not 6 hours like the other guy said? Thanks.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
[slight spoilers] So is it anyone else's birthday today?

http://i.imgur.com/Yit7d1l.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Oh so it's not 6 hours like the other guy said? Thanks.

Anyone who told you this thing takes 6 hours is out of their loving minds, the prologue alone is 60-90 minutes and the story missions run to like 30 each, minimum, even if you Rambo your way through everything.

• Locked thread