Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
/\/\ Must.... Find...

PantsBandit posted:

I just mean it doesn't make sense to me that big boss, literally considered to be the most adept soldier of all time, can't walk close to a bottle without swinging his arms into it and smashing it to the ground.

He was in a Coma for 9 years. He's rusty.

There.

(I love the fact this happens. I am not babied and need to be careful)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So this is for a bit into the future but is there going to be a reason to bring DD or Quiet along instead of Horse? I mean sure you could just drop a vehicle with you but those things are noisy and you get spotted super easily in them. Unless you can ride DD or Quiet around the huge rear end map i don't see a reason?

It's all about what advantages you want. I guess Quiet is really good at killing guys from a distance for you, and DD is really good at spotting guys for you without you needing to take ten minutes to sneak around and mark them all.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

goferchan posted:

Unfortunately I don't think the former is a thing. As for the latter, not sure if you can do it normally, but later on once you unlock Hard Mode versions of missions there are variants where you HAVE to enter them completely "naked" as you describe and scavenge any equipment from the field

There absolutely are multiple loadouts - the gameplay demo showed that you can have 3, for sure.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Vintersorg posted:

Goddamn I hate that the 40 min gameplay video was custom because a) the mission for the interpreter was a hut with 3 people b) i havent found the song by Asia yet :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFZ3Qhn5dW8

It's in the area where you do the C2W mission. In the cottage where the soldiers sleep. It's also the best song for the helicopter because of that :krad: synth opening.

Also, departing to "You're leavin' now/it's in your eyes. There's no disguising it" hasn't gotten old.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

I just mean it doesn't make sense to me that big boss, literally considered to be the most adept soldier of all time, can't walk close to a bottle without swinging his arms into it and smashing it to the ground.

They didn't cover kitchen etiquette in CQC 101.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you goferchan and zedprime

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Soul Glo posted:

When Ocelot was teaching me how to fulton, I put the nice man I was training with to sleep with tranq shots to his dick.

It took three.
Give that man a promotion.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

goferchan posted:

I've probably played for like 10 and it's got me pegged at 3% overall completion .... dude was joking

I think I managed 4% at 10 hours. If the side ops would stop popping up, I would make more progress. But I like a clean side ops plate. Not going to happen though because those shooting range trials are HARD.

I got my GZ save to load. Kojima is on board, but no Glaz and Palitz yet.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FZeroRacer posted:

Wow, uh.

There's an optional area and cutscene in the medical platform that sure does raise a lot of questions :stare:

Yeah what's your take on this?? I'm kind of feeling that Ground Zeroes might have had some unreliable narration going on... like, when we played Ground Zeroes, we weren't actually playing what happened in Camp Omega, we were playing the way Boss remembered it went down during the coma. It also sort of makes sense with how the Extra Ops worked -- when you started them they were all labeled as a "historical recreation" which makes me think they WERE things that actually happened (especially since you can have guys like The Eye and The Finger join up with you), just not necessarily at Camp Omega. As in, Boss's memories were all muddled during the coma and while he was asleep he was reliving the events over and over and mixing I up with other missions that happened

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vanderdeath posted:

It's in the area where you do the C2W mission. In the cottage where the soldiers sleep. It's also the best song for the helicopter because of that :krad: synth opening.

Also, departing to "You're leavin' now/it's in your eyes. There's no disguising it" hasn't gotten old.

Doing that tonight! I know for a fact I skipped it as I went straight to getting that bionics guy for rocket punch punch punch.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wade Wilson posted:

Man, gently caress you Ocelot, telling me you don't have time to be my Russian interpreter.

Gonna punch you in the face as soon as I get back to Mother Base.

I actually understand some Russian and it took me a bit to realize there was no way to act on that in game. Stupid boss

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

TheMaestroso posted:

There absolutely are multiple loadouts - the gameplay demo showed that you can have 3, for sure.

Huh, I never would have noticed -- time to go check that out, sweet

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

This doesn't make any sense. By that logic should Big Boss should control himself and go off and complete every mission at S Rank without your input?

I mean, it also doesn't make sense that the most adept soldier in the world would walk into the middle of an enemy base in the middle of the day and get shot up by a dozen soldiers, but that's what happens if I just lean on the left analog stick.

You won't knock bottles and poo poo over if you actually sneak around properly. I think it's great that you have to maintain situational awareness while sneaking and that you have to maneuver around poo poo like that and watch how fast you're going, yadayada.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I got DDog literally the second I started the second Afghanistan mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm getting low ranks on missions just because I take so much time and gently caress around. It's great.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Just Another Anecdote: In one of the first side missions where you have to kill some random guy (i'm not tagging it as spoiler as i don't think it is), I was trapped with him knocked out next to me. Couldn't jump through the window with him, so I threw a smoke grenade, used him as a human shield when the soldiers started shooting at me, jumped through the window and left them to find out they had killed their boss once the smoke dissipated.

I love this game so much.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

hello internet posted:

I got DDog literally the second I started the second Afghanistan mission.

Wonder if its on some RNG? Sucks for some people. I got him on the side-op interpreter - just sitting there for me.

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
How can I tell what skills the enemy soldiers have before I fulton them to base? I don't want to fill up my whole base with guys with E in everything.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You can upgrade the binoculars to have the analyzer on it, you need at least Rank 2 for it though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

libersyber posted:

How can I tell what skills the enemy soldiers have before I fulton them to base? I don't want to fill up my whole base with guys with E in everything.
There's an analyzer upgrade for your scope. You will probably fill your base half full with guys with E in everything getting the R&D level to make it so I wouldn't worry about it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The bionic punch is so damned satisfying. That look on the soldiers face as he turns around right before getting a metal arm to the face.

I researched the stun arm but it doesn't seem as useful or cool.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

goferchan posted:

Yeah what's your take on this?? I'm kind of feeling that Ground Zeroes might have had some unreliable narration going on... like, when we played Ground Zeroes, we weren't actually playing what happened in Camp Omega, we were playing the way Boss remembered it went down during the coma. It also sort of makes sense with how the Extra Ops worked -- when you started them they were all labeled as a "historical recreation" which makes me think they WERE things that actually happened (especially since you can have guys like The Eye and The Finger join up with you), just not necessarily at Camp Omega. As in, Boss's memories were all muddled during the coma and while he was asleep he was reliving the events over and over and mixing I up with other missions that happened

Knowing Kojima, probably Jamais Vu is canon and MGSV takes place in a parallel universe :shepface:

But I'm willing to bet that Ground Zeroes (at least the one we play through in the main mission) was the real version of the events somehow. As for how Paz lived, well hell if I know. The whole MGSV game so far has a sorta surreal quality to it so I'm not fully ruling out unreliable narration though.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
I just wanted to mention how much I love custom music in this since it means I get to use this as my helicopter music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYrh5h9acg8

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My roommate just got the birthday event :pusheen:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FZeroRacer posted:

Knowing Kojima, probably Jamais Vu is canon and MGSV takes place in a parallel universe :shepface:

But I'm willing to bet that Ground Zeroes (at least the one we play through in the main mission) was the real version of the events somehow. As for how Paz lived, well hell if I know. The whole MGSV game so far has a sorta surreal quality to it so I'm not fully ruling out unreliable narration though.

Less vagina bomb than vagina rocket.

So Paz was shot into the ocean, how she survived that is another mystery. It's Metal Gear though, so probably some latent supernatural power.

Probably a magical vagina joke in there somewhere too.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Frankston posted:

Is there any way to destroy the blue light satellites you come across in bases without making a huge noise?

this is a good question imo

also escaping from a soviet base while Kids is America is blaring from my chopper is pretty magical

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 2, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't wanna go through the spoiler thread and get spoiled on everything, but does completing the main mission from Ground Zeroes add anything really cool?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I feel like I'm playing SUPER slow. I need to just start churning through the story. And not trying to be non-lethal and stealthy on the Side Ops since they're not graded. The combat is so good and satisfying but it's against my Metal Gear instinct. Time to murder every E and D ranked garbage soldier.

Also I'm terrible at this game. I S-ranked the prologue, managed an A on the Kaz rescue mission, but everything since has been Gentleman's Bs.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Cable posted:

Just Another Anecdote: In one of the first side missions where you have to kill some random guy (i'm not tagging it as spoiler as i don't think it is), I was trapped with him knocked out next to me. Couldn't jump through the window with him, so I threw a smoke grenade, used him as a human shield when the soldiers started shooting at me, jumped through the window and left them to find out they had killed their boss once the smoke dissipated.

I love this game so much.

I decided not to kill him and extracted him to Mother Base. He is one of my best employees now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Flytrap posted:

So how long does it take on average before you can develop enough to make a Fulton that can steal cars? Because I'm already in Africa, and I feel like I should be stealing cars already.

I'm 23-25 hours in and I just got it. I don't *think* I've left it on while I slept or anything, I've been playing it all my waking hours since it released.
DON'T BOTHER USING DD UNTIL YOU GET IT. It sucks having to run across the entire map instead of deploying with a car. I will say that it's a bit grindy to have it , because suddenly you need to run across the entire map again. This game will be as grindy as peace walker, I'm sure.

edit: Q: Where do you get the gunsmith? I've been very good about doing extra/side ops. not all are done yet but I've done a TON.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else on ps4 get the bug where the game wouldnt install after the prologue? I tried restarting, didnt help. Then I deleted and reinstalled and now I cant even load my save because it says relevant DLC is missing but I have the day one poo poo downloaded.

I really, really dont want to play the prologue again and deal with this bullshit again because the prologue was really sluggish, the amazing aesthetics aside.

Why cant console games "just work" like they used to back in the day?

Pok Pok
Dec 31, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

How do you do the wandering mother base soldier side mission

Super easy way to defeat him: go up to him wearing cardboard box and/or play Love Deterrence on idroid speakers according to the guidebook.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Anyone looking for Rebel Yell it's in the relay station camp by the big bridge from mission 6

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I've seen Quiet in alt costumes. Battle Dress is one of the first unlocks for your horse, I don't see why you can't make her wear an 18th century chambermaid's outfit, or one of those padded suits they use to train dogs, or a smart looking business ensemble.

Or combat fatigues, if you're a boring loser.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Abu Dave posted:

How do you do the wandering mother base soldier side mission

get as close as you can without being seen and headshot him with tranq. has to be perfect headshot though.

the funniest thing so far happened for me today--i was working on one of the first missions that requires an RPG. when the soviet tanks rolled through, D-Horse was actually riding on top of a tank. he ended up uninjured (of course, i guess) but i almost failed the mission laughing. I wish I could remember where I left the dumb horse so I could replicate that incident

after that, had to jump on the horse and gallop through a sandstorm on a guardpost to catch the final tank. game owns so much

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this is the best game about collecting 80s music ever made

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

TheQat posted:

get as close as you can without being seen and headshot him with tranq. has to be perfect headshot though.

A reminder that it has to be Tranq ammo you use, and if you so happen to have the Riot SMG that uses STUN damage, they are very different things and Stun won't work on those guys.

Also do all Heavy Infantry turn around and smack you if you try to hold them up or did i just get a random tough guy?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I've literally been trying to track down all the cassettes instead of doing any missions. I NEED THE TAPES

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

So uhhh side op 48. Is there a trick to stunning this bear or do I just need way better tranqs? I hit it with a supply drop and used all of my riot SMG ammo and it still didn't go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't wanna go through the spoiler thread and get spoiled on everything, but does completing the main mission from Ground Zeroes add anything really cool?

Not on PS4 because you'll never be able to connect to the server to import your save.

On PC or bone maybe, a couple good soldiers maybe. Nothing game breaking supposedly.

• Locked thread