Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The original Secret Wars.

Or the two Doom minis from the 2000s. Or perhaps some of the John Bryne Fantastic Four run.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Unthinkable, whether you like it or not, is certainly noteworthy.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Vitamin P posted:

A mate is doing a presentation thing for a film course about characters adapted from other mediums, has chosen Doctor Doom and is panicking because it's on in two days.

She's asked me for particularly interesting/resonant stories about the character, all I can think of is the one where he tells a reporter his story then locks her up. Anyone got some prime Doom books?

Fantastic Four #258.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Vitamin P posted:

A mate is doing a presentation thing for a film course about characters adapted from other mediums, has chosen Doctor Doom and is panicking because it's on in two days.

She's asked me for particularly interesting/resonant stories about the character, all I can think of is the one where he tells a reporter his story then locks her up. Anyone got some prime Doom books?

There was the issue where he knocked the Richards' parenting abilities.

"Doom demands that children get a good nights sleep."

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

The Dr. Doom and the Masters of Evil mini series it's great.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Vitamin P posted:

Here is a list that includes some Amazon links, for whatever that might be worth:

http://benito-cereno.tumblr.com/post/80397901792/benito-i-love-victor-von-doom-i-have-ever-since

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I have a general question: One of the big points about many X-Men stories is how mutants get treated like poo poo and are generally seen by a huge amount of the public as dangerous and they need to be controlled.

So has this same fear, aside from Civil War, been attached to other heroes? Like, not Captain America because everyone knows the story and he's an icon, but like Spider-Man and tons of other heroes. How are people not jumping on them and assuming they're mutants based on their powers? Is it just a case of writers ignoring it or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I have a general question: One of the big points about many X-Men stories is how mutants get treated like poo poo and are generally seen by a huge amount of the public as dangerous and they need to be controlled.

So has this same fear, aside from Civil War, been attached to other heroes? Like, not Captain America because everyone knows the story and he's an icon, but like Spider-Man and tons of other heroes. How are people not jumping on them and assuming they're mutants based on their powers? Is it just a case of writers ignoring it or something?

There are in universe ways to track mutants. Part of the whole fear and hate them is the threat of them replacing humans as the dominant species.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

OldTennisCourt posted:

In Ultimate Spider-Man this happens more often, everybody REALLY hates mutants and the Ultimates themselves are the only superheroes anybody likes/trusts because the government says they're OK. Lots of people assume anybody with powers is a mutant and distrusts them outright.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

There are in universe ways to track mutants. Part of the whole fear and hate them is the threat of them replacing humans as the dominant species.

I understand the point, I guess it just feels like there are tons of other heroes too and you'd think they'd get lumped in to with the whole 'incredibly powerful heroes who could basically take over if they wanted' thing. I understand mutants have that fear of evolving and replacing humans in that respect, but I can only recall Civil War where the general Marvel heroes as a whole got the same treatment on some level.

It just kinda feels like if you're pissed at one you should be pissed at the other on some level.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I understand the point, I guess it just feels like there are tons of other heroes too and you'd think they'd get lumped in to with the whole 'incredibly powerful heroes who could basically take over if they wanted' thing. I understand mutants have that fear of evolving and replacing humans in that respect, but I can only recall Civil War where the general Marvel heroes as a whole got the same treatment on some level.

It just kinda feels like if you're pissed at one you should be pissed at the other on some level.

The Avengers save the world every 3 days, people trust them. Mutants are scaaaaaary.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

The Avengers save the world every 3 days, people trust them. Mutants are scaaaaaary.

Haven't the X-Men saved the earth a shitload of times too? Including a time where they all straight up sacrificed their lives to stop The Adversary?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The X-Men's attempts to be Superpowers As Minorities can't really be explained in a satisfying manner because it's total nonsense, so much so that Grant Morrison ripping off Parasite Eve was an actual improvement.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
X-men works because people are born mutants randomly, which actually makes a big difference.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Haven't the X-Men saved the earth a shitload of times too? Including a time where they all straight up sacrificed their lives to stop The Adversary?
Joss Whedon addressed that in Astonishing, the X-Men save the day side-by-side with the Fantastic Four and the news buries it as a five second blurb at the end because The Mutant Menace is the story.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

X-men works because people are born mutants randomly, which actually makes a big difference.

Yeah, but the issue is that how does the general public know who's a mutant and who isn't? Why don't we see any protests against heroes that aren't really mutants but that a certain segment of the public is absolutely sure must be more mutant scum? That's why it doesn't make any sense, because the general public in the Marvel universe just seems to automatically accept who is a mutant and who isn't. You'd think there'd be protests and whatnot against, say, the Fantastic Four because obviously they're mutants and the whole "cosmic ray" thing is just a cover story.

Or alternatively, a mutant that takes advantage of that by making up an alternate origin story because how would anyone know otherwise?

Actually, has that ever been done in mainline comics? I know Spider-Man did that in reverse in House of M, but has there ever been a mutant that was just "oh, no, it was cosmic radiation from an ancient alien artifact, I'm totally not a mutant" or something?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Spider-Man often got bad publicity, because of the guy who handles that kind of thing, so he's gone back and forth in the public eye.

Punisher everyone seems to agree is insane and a menace, but let's let him kill just a few more mobsters before we jump to any conclusions.

Most everyone is on superman's side, but luthor must get through to some people.

Nobody really trusts Batman, and your average Gothamite probably recognizes how insane and not very effective he is in his crusade. Basically see the punisher.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Spider-Man often got bad publicity, because of the guy who handles that kind of thing, so he's gone back and forth in the public eye.

Punisher everyone seems to agree is insane and a menace, but let's let him kill just a few more mobsters before we jump to any conclusions.

Most everyone is on superman's side, but luthor must get through to some people.

Nobody really trusts Batman, and your average Gothamite probably recognizes how insane and not very effective he is in his crusade. Basically see the punisher.

No, they're asking specifically if there are superheroes in Marvel that aren't mutants but everyone thinks they are and lumps them in with the anti-mutant hate, not just superheroes that are feared in general.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There are no mutants anymore remember?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do keep in mind that, for a very long time, the most prominent mutants in the world were Magneto, who led a group called the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and tried to take over the world, and the X-Men, who seem to go out of their way to sequester themselves even from other superheroes. Like, the Avengers and the Fantastic Four have their headquarters in downtown NYC and they do autographs and stuff; the X-Men, as far as anyone knows, are holed up in a hidden base like a paramilitary group and only show up when they're fighting evil mutants.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do keep in mind that, for a very long time, the most prominent mutants in the world were Magneto, who led a group called the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and tried to take over the world, and the X-Men, who seem to go out of their way to sequester themselves even from other superheroes. Like, the Avengers and the Fantastic Four have their headquarters in downtown NYC and they do autographs and stuff; the X-Men, as far as anyone knows, are holed up in a hidden base like a paramilitary group and only show up when they're fighting evil mutants.

But again, though, I don't think anyone's questioning the existence of mutant hate. Just how even all civilians in the Marvel Universe seem to automatically know who's a mutant and who isn't. There's never a wave of anti-mutant hatred towards any character that isn't actually a mutant, or a mutant that manages to pass for a non-mutant metahuman and avoid the anti-mutant hate. Large groups, you've got a point, but what about all the less famous superheroes that aren't in the public eye constantly?

It's just kind of surprising that it seems like no one ever even used that as a plot point in Marvel outside Spider-Man in House of M.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's an allegory for people who hate certain groups of people for no rational reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Idran posted:

It's just kind of surprising that it seems like no one ever even used that as a plot point in Marvel outside Spider-Man in House of M.

Was it used for Ultimate Wasp?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Idran posted:

Yeah, but the issue is that how does the general public know who's a mutant and who isn't?

They usually have an X on them somewhere.

If not they're seen fighting guys who do.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Didn't Spiderman have to tell people a few times that he wasn't a mutant. Like everytime he teamed up with the X-Men or the first time he teamed up with the X-Men.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Idran posted:

But again, though, I don't think anyone's questioning the existence of mutant hate. Just how even all civilians in the Marvel Universe seem to automatically know who's a mutant and who isn't. There's never a wave of anti-mutant hatred towards any character that isn't actually a mutant, or a mutant that manages to pass for a non-mutant metahuman and avoid the anti-mutant hate. Large groups, you've got a point, but what about all the less famous superheroes that aren't in the public eye constantly?

Superheroes do a good job of quickly changing into their costume and presenting a heroic face, while mutants go active looking confused and upset about having to use their powers why won't you just leave me alone.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Why does my brother, a Caucasian man married to a Mexican woman, hate black people?

The problem is that you're trying to apply logic to inherently illogical racism. People fear the "Other," regardless of how many other "Others" there are, or how realistic that fear might be.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

Since the allegory's also often used for homosexuality in weird ways - I assume it's a matter of attitude and association. It's an irrational hatred borne out of assumption + stereotype. Like, people who are perfectly happy to support the military, but GAY military servicepeople?! No way, Jose! They're all folks doing the same job but some of them probably have ~secret motives.~ Similarly - people like teachers, but if family's catch wind that a teacher is gay they instantly conclude they must be a child predator. You don't see a member of the military and go "welp, they're gay!" or a teacher and go "that's a gay pedo right there," but if you hear they ARE gay ... Just so, superheroes are fine, but mutant heroes? Ick!

(You in the general bigot sense, not you as a poster.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

Didn't Spiderman have to tell people a few times that he wasn't a mutant. Like everytime he teamed up with the X-Men or the first time he teamed up with the X-Men.

I don't know how much it's come up in 616, but it was a running gag in Ultimate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

It was the tagline of his series for a bit.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WickedHate posted:

It was the tagline of his series for a bit.

Wasn't that because X-anything was selling like such hotcakes at the time, so they slapped the word "mutant" on to increase sales?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It was also the era where it was hinted for about five seconds that he was a mutant and the spider-bite triggered it.

Mutant moved comics.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Erik Larsen drew Aunt May like the Crypt-Keeper.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question: In the Batman '66 TV series, was there ever a scene where Batman was offered some candy and replied, "Actually, I'd prefer a piece of fresh fruit if you have it"? I remember years ago, I was told there was such a line, but this was before the DVDs were widely available. Likewise, was there ever a scene where Batman refused to start the Batmobile because Robin hadn't put his seatbelt on yet?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Since the allegory's also often used for homosexuality in weird ways - I assume it's a matter of attitude and association. It's an irrational hatred borne out of assumption + stereotype. Like, people who are perfectly happy to support the military, but GAY military servicepeople?! No way, Jose! They're all folks doing the same job but some of them probably have ~secret motives.~ Similarly - people like teachers, but if family's catch wind that a teacher is gay they instantly conclude they must be a child predator. You don't see a member of the military and go "welp, they're gay!" or a teacher and go "that's a gay pedo right there," but if you hear they ARE gay ... Just so, superheroes are fine, but mutant heroes? Ick!

(You in the general bigot sense, not you as a poster.)

Okay I get your point and the general idea now, thank you!

Thanks everyone for the explanation, it's just something that's kinda nagged at me for a bit after I read it elsewhere, I do recall in the USM series he had to make it clear he wasn't a mutant.

Another more general question: What's considered to be the largest Event storyarc in terms of crossover issues, main issues and sheer length? I believe I read somewhere that it was Civil War, but I think that was just Marvel and not both companies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can't think of anything DC has done that's larger than Civil War. Maybe Flashpoint but I doubt it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

I can't think of anything DC has done that's larger than Civil War. Maybe Flashpoint but I doubt it

You mean sales wise or the number of books it touches?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OldTennisCourt posted:

Another more general question: What's considered to be the largest Event storyarc in terms of crossover issues, main issues and sheer length? I believe I read somewhere that it was Civil War, but I think that was just Marvel and not both companies.

I still think Secret Wars 2 is a strong contender.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question: In the Batman '66 TV series, was there ever a scene where Batman was offered some candy and replied, "Actually, I'd prefer a piece of fresh fruit if you have it"? I remember years ago, I was told there was such a line, but this was before the DVDs were widely available. Likewise, was there ever a scene where Batman refused to start the Batmobile because Robin hadn't put his seatbelt on yet?

I couldn't tell you the episode, but the seat belt scene definitely happened. Batman 66 was on TV land or something like it when I was a kid and I watched every day. The fruit thing sounds familiar, but that one I'm not positive on. Maybe the episode where he runs against the Penguin for mayor, I know he refuses to kiss a baby in that one because it would be unhygienic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
"Mutants? Those fuckers are born with powers, and that's scary. That couldn't have happened to me, so I can't identify with that.

That daredevil dude, though, he was just walking down the street, pushed a dude out of the way of a truck, and got covered with toxic waste! I walk down the street like all the time! What if it happened to me? He's pretty awesome!"