Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So a cousin of mine decided to run Shadowrun, and decided create three to four Dossiers of Fixers for the players to choose who to work for at the beginning, which also gives him direction on what kind of runs to focus on. He informed me the other Fixers that aren't picked are planned to be future antagonists or allies depending on what the party does, and to give them an idea of what kind of characters to roll for to avoid playstyle clashes.

A's all about keeping his part of the city safe, he prefers the light touch and keeping things quiet and bloodless as possible. He doesn't pay well as the others, but seems to have everyone owing him a favor, so gear can be gotten on the cheap or some heat taken off. Friendly and easygoing with Big Goals.

B's pays the highest, but might have some ties to a megacorps. He does not care how loud or nasty runs gets long as it doesn't get traced back to his clients. A lazy rear end in a top hat who prefers talking to people through their avatar so they doesn't have to get out of bed.

C's middle of the road pay, a higher up in the mob, granting the runners more protection from heat or rivals. Working for C means doing some downright nasty things, sometimes even to people who don't actually deserve it. A severe woman who gives and takes no bullshit and cares only for the bottom line.

D's a wildcard - mainly if the group don't like the other choices.

I'm kind of interested to see who the group ultimately pick and how it's going to play out for them, but I think it's a neat idea to structure a campaign in this manner.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Robindaybird posted:

D's a wildcard,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcG8z2OTAWs

thegoatgod_pan
Apr 23, 2013

Io Pan! Io Pan Pan! Io Pangenitor! Io Panphage!

Robindaybird posted:

D's a wildcard - mainly if the group don't like the other choices.

"D" for Dragon, I presume?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D is for Dwarf

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Deez Nuts?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
D is for the Brit ex-pat Street Sam Ork Gunbunny who hands out the really dangerous suicidal jobs and advises that everything will go fine if you BRING MORE DAKKA

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
It should be Deez Nuts.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
D represents a committee of people trying to bring power back to the people and away from the megacorps, and hiring runners through crowdfunding. The missions D sends the players on are decently-paid and involve doing genuine good, but even if the PCs' mission doesn't bloody the nose of a corp, the fact that they're on the payroll of people who are is eventually going to make them into targets.

-Or-

D is the entertainment division of a megacorp. Their senior staff frickin' love watching shadowrunners murder people live on camera. The missions that they send the PCs into never have surveillance, because the surveillance in the buildings has been suborned by D's own deckers for his clients' private show.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Whybird posted:

D represents a committee of people trying to bring power back to the people and away from the megacorps, and hiring runners through crowdfunding. The missions D sends the players on are decently-paid and involve doing genuine good, but even if the PCs' mission doesn't bloody the nose of a corp, the fact that they're on the payroll of people who are is eventually going to make them into targets.

-Or-

D is the entertainment division of a megacorp. Their senior staff frickin' love watching shadowrunners murder people live on camera. The missions that they send the PCs into never have surveillance, because the surveillance in the buildings has been suborned by D's own deckers for his clients' private show.

Oh man that last one, that's some good stuff.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, that second option sounds pretty twisted, in a good way. That could lead to some interesting character development for the PCs, especially if they don't know they're Twitch streaming a snuff film.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Runners vs Pewdiepie. :stare:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Just imagine the revelation when they find out they are pieces in someone's game, and all their effort and near-misses only took place just for the entertainment of some nebulous group of entities.

Do they roll with it, kill the players, or set up a TRPG group and bicker endlessly IC(OOC(IC))

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Just send my cousin the snuff film crew idea - should I be worried about how hard he cackled?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It DOES sound very Shadowrun; dystopian future megacorps doing shady poo poo for unjustifiable reasons. Could definitely be a way to set up an 'antagonist' corp that the players might feel some antipathy towards later, if the team dynamics support it. Or, alternatively, it's just another job in the hosed-up future for runners. I could definitely see a less-scrupulous group trying to argue with their Mr. Johnson for a higher cut of the proceeds in exchange for spicing the show up once they figured it out.

E: Or a (very slightly) more light-hearted twist on it would basically have your runners become the Saints and market their televised crime sprees and sell action figures. Not sure how the big cartels would like that, though...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

E: Or a (very slightly) more light-hearted twist on it would basically have your runners become the Saints and market their televised crime sprees and sell action figures. Not sure how the big cartels would like that, though...

They say in Seattle runners need a Fixer; in LA, they need an Agent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems like a good idea to consider real world changes in society and technology and apply them to a future setting that was written before that kind of thing happened. Shadowrun has its own Internet analogue, but it was written long before things like social media, YouTube, and smartphones.

I've been doing the same thing with the STALKER thing I've spent a long time working on. The game takes place in 2012 but was released in 2007 (and they began writing years before that) and little to no prediction on changing technology , so it still just ends up being 2007 with a different date on the calendar in-game. I decided that it would be interesting to consider real world changes in technology, politics, and culture and reinterpret the series in a more modern setting. So stalkers are liable to carry smartphones (but still prefer ruggedized PDAs for durability) and there's massive amounts of photos, videos, and stories from the Zone on social media. Also stuff like the Zone being flooded with really unprepared rookies who run in unarmed or with a sawed-off shotgun and cheap airsoft and sporting goods gear.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Corps have a global reach nowadays. Maybe murder-runs that are being filmed in UCAS are getting big ratings over in Henan or Asamondo. Imagine their surprise when they take a run 10,000 miles away and see themselves on a ten-story billboard in the middle of downtown Manila.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Everything Counts posted:

Corps have a global reach nowadays. Maybe murder-runs that are being filmed in UCAS are getting big ratings over in Henan or Asamondo. Imagine their surprise when they take a run 10,000 miles away and see themselves on a ten-story billboard in the middle of downtown Manila.

Bonus points if the feeds are being dubbed over in the local language, complete with character arcs and ludicrously inaccurate/out of date street slang.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dulkor posted:

Bonus points if the feeds are being dubbed over in the local language, complete with character arcs and ludicrously inaccurate/out of date street slang.

Even without this, runners should be able to catch TV shows based on runners that are exactly like this.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dulkor posted:

Double bonus points if the runners find themselves hired by a well-heeled fan to assassinate one of 'their own' foreign voice actors because the client hates his accent.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Your Most Heinous Stories of Role-Playing Gone Wrong

This starts off pretty mild but hoo boy do the stories get worse the deeper you go.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Serf posted:

Your Most Heinous Stories of Role-Playing Gone Wrong

This starts off pretty mild but hoo boy do the stories get worse the deeper you go.

quote:

The most hosed up story I have is when I joined a D&D “Storytelling” group. The GM didn’t roll dice, he just told stories and asked us how we would react. He said, “I FEEL the stories and what your characters want and need and I’ve never been wrong.”

Well, I played a thief. He told me what she looked like “Dark hair, almond eyes, petite and very beautiful.” (Again with the Asian fetish?) And he had one of his NPCs totally hit on her. This NPC was some kind of tree-hopping Tarzan barbarian type named Raven who talked in guttural language and could barely put words together. He would send me notes like:

Raven want you come with him. He show something. Come alone.

I went and Raven did some kind of crazy martial arts dance for me (and this GM is actually trying to DO the moves while he’s explaining it). Then he says, “Mating dance. You my mate now,” and thumped his chest. He grabbed my character and carried her up a tree and gave her a loving flower then asked if we could “mate for life.”

OMG, wut?

I was like “Yeah, time out, I don’t know about this.”

And the GM said, “Hey, I can READ people. This is what your character wants. Go with it.”

And I didn’t go with it. His friends were all looking at me like *I* was the odd one because I wasn’t letting Tarzan tree-rape me for a flower. (For life.)

The game ended early. Before I left, the GM asked me to come to his room (in his apartment). “Come on, I want to show you something.”

I told him I needed to go. He begged me, said he TRUSTED me and he needed to share something with me. So, I relent and walk to his room and stand in the doorway because no way am I going all the way in with a guy who thinks that I want to roleplay tree-sex with a stupid, half-naked barbarian.

He pulls this box out from under his bed and opens it up. Inside are framed pictures of his family. Mom, dad, and three sisters. And they are all naked. All butt naked. Sometimes posed, sometimes not. He’s in there too, naked as can be. (Awkward!)

And he tells me, “My parents are brother and sister and believe in nudity.” (uhhh… wut?) “They raised me to be proud of my body and to not be ashamed. Their parents did it too. It’s okay. I feel like I can be myself around you.”

He started to undress.

And I was out. Gone. Done.
:stare:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When I read I thought it said YOUR (the narrator's) family, which is the only way the tale could get weirder.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My best friend recently gave an update on a D&D game she's playing. Her friend (playing a druid) was confronted with a fire elemental and wanted to summon an animal to help.

She summoned Smokey the Bear.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
Just done character gen for a new campaign, and pretty excited for what the players have come up with.

The setting is the Axis Milo, the secret magical city at the heart of the world, located in a parallel Manhattan. The characters are all students at the Scholomance, the elite boarding academy where the wealthy and the mystically powerful of the Axis Milo send their kids. The general feel is somewhere between Gunnerkrigg Court, Hogwarts, and Morning Glory Academy. Our cast so far:

Chet Drakenberg: Total 1%er. His family are basically the magical Kennedys, complete with assassinations. He has the power to turn things (including himself) into dragons, and sometimes to turn dragons back into things afterwards.

Cassie Keys: Scholarship student from a family of shape shifting private eyes. Can't afford gravity in her dorm room. Can possess people, and has boundary issues.

Jacob Borges VII: Latest in a long line of necromancers, supplying the elite of the AM with obedient skeletal staff. Has a box of bones in his room, just in case he needs some helpers at short notice.

Oliver: Not actually a student, or human. Cassie's shadow, gained sentience in a lab accident. Took three days to work up the courage to tell Cassie he was alive now. Wants to enrol so he can have his own room, with gravity.

Katherine Rowley: Newly arrived British exchange student. Had no idea prior to arriving that anyone in the world other than her could do magic. Struggling to adjust to life in the Scholomance. Has somehow managed to avoid telling anyone her name, so everyone else has just started calling her Hermione on account of the accent.

In the actual play we've managed to do so far we've established that something weird is going on with the choir (which the staff claim doesn't exist), there may be a razor-wieldng hobo god stalking the school, and smuggling a cerberus onto school grounds then just leaving it in the lacrosse fields is a bad idea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

My best friend recently gave an update on a D&D game she's playing. Her friend (playing a druid) was confronted with a fire elemental and wanted to summon an animal to help.

She summoned Smokey the Bear.

An update: Smokey the Bear worked.

"The bear takes fire damage."

"But does the fire take bear damage?"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

chitoryu12 posted:

"No, because it turns out that only you can prevent fire damage."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hahahaha Holy loving poo poo.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

That reminds me of one of my favorite reoccurring thing from a game of 13th Age. One of the players was playing a nature themed sorcerer, and he reskinned burning hands to be firing bees at things. This led to the constant question from the party, "Are they weak to bees?"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

"I cast Protection From X"

(DM rolls on the list)

"For the next week, the party is immune to medical malpractice"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

silentsnack posted:

"I cast Protection From X"

(DM rolls on the list)

"For the next week, the party is immune to medical malpractice"

In certain systems, it's actually possible for a critical fail on a medical-related roll to cause further injury or death. So you'd technically have a week-long immunity to crit fails on first aid rolls!

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Whenever I GMed wacky campaigns in 3rd Edition Gamma World, I'd let the players pick really outlandish things if they rolled the "immunity" mutation in character creation. We ended up with a mutant human who had a vague "immunity to kinetic energy", which as you might imagine made him more or less immortal and had some other universe-rending consequences that I just went along with. I think we switched GMs at one point, and I ended up killing him with a laser axe as a mutant dwarf with carnivorous power armor.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
:rolldice: You have slain the dragon! Now the treasure horde is yours to do with as you please.
:) Alright, we fill our bags with all the gold we can carry.
:rolldice: There's still a ton of gold here. Three cubic acres of gold!
:) The wagon's down at the bottom of the mountain, isn't it. Hmm... maybe we could sell the horde's location to someone?
:witch: I'm going to draw a runic fire circle around the horde! You said it was in the middle of the huge dome, right?
:rolldice: Okay, that's going to be a huge circle and a lot of fire. Uh, what's your plan?
:witch: I'm going to melt the gold and pour it down the mountain! SOME of it will reach town, I bet!
:rolldice: Alright, uh, :stonk:, and furthermore the town is at the very base of this very steep mountain, and this is a ton of gold, so---
:witch: Gold plated town it is! (rolls) Nat 20 on Rune Carving! :woop:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

An here I was thinking the witch was going to trap the horde and they could keep selling its location to adventures, slaughter them so no-one claims it, and repeat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kavak posted:

An here I was thinking the witch was going to trap the horde and they could keep selling its location to adventures, slaughter them so no-one claims it, and repeat.
Commonly known as the EVE Online strategy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
3 cubic acres of gold is more gold than exists on Earth. A find of that size would destroy gold's value as a rare mineral.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

VanSandman posted:

3 cubic acres of gold is more gold than exists on Earth. A find of that size would destroy gold's value as a rare mineral.
Clearly, that was the real goal of firing the horde. They may have lost some treasure, but they saved the economy. :patriot:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Orrr... Hold the economy hostage by threatening to release the gold. Then you get paid to not do anything, or something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For reference, with a find that large, three families could replace all water usage with molten gold for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

cheetah7071 posted:

For reference, with a find that large, three families could replace all water usage with molten gold for a year.

Does it count if they die of dehydration several days in?