Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Edwhirl posted:

out of curiosity if you have both clairvoyance and teleportation, do the people in grit gate care if you teleport past their force field?

IIRC they don't even care if you tunnel into their city with acid grenades. Just be careful not to hit anyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, considering that I burrowed holes in their walls to pester their tinker, loot their treasure rooms, and steal their fresh water, they definitely aren't going to care if you just teleport in. That said, I'm not sure if I've ever broken in before getting them to lower the forcefield, so maybe be careful if you decide to do that. I always do the Red Rock quest before heading out there, anyway.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I really like Jef's videos, I hope he plays some more now that it's out on steam.

Anyways, I played a bit and I "accidentally" killed everyone in Joppa (save for the warden and the cat) , am I hosed? Also what's a good character to learn the ropes? I just made some fat gently caress with lots of strength and toughness and went rampaging. Still alive I guess :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Highblood posted:

I really like Jef's videos, I hope he plays some more now that it's out on steam.

Anyways, I played a bit and I "accidentally" killed everyone in Joppa (save for the warden and the cat) , am I hosed? Also what's a good character to learn the ropes? I just made some fat gently caress with lots of strength and toughness and went rampaging. Still alive I guess :shrug:

Killing dudes in Joppa will lock you out of the main questline but doesn't stop you from exploring. There's a lot of stuff out there and the questline at the moment mostly just gives you reasons to visit various dungeons.

Recommendations for starting characters include Praetorian True Man (good stats/skills/starting gear, but True Men are limited in their advancement potential due to lacking mutations), Carapace/Freezing Hands turtles for bump-attacking dudes, and high-Ego Light Manipulation/Sunder Mind/Time Fugue for massive laser death raves for a more "caster"-style character.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Edwhirl posted:

out of curiosity if you have both clairvoyance and teleportation, do the people in grit gate care if you teleport past their force field?

Dunno but you need only complete argyves rust well quest and they let you in. After you get the quest Takes More Than a Willing Spirit, just talk to the intercom again and you'll have an option to enter the gates.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Killing dudes in Joppa will lock you out of the main questline but doesn't stop you from exploring. There's a lot of stuff out there and the questline at the moment mostly just gives you reasons to visit various dungeons.

Recommendations for starting characters include Praetorian True Man (good stats/skills/starting gear, but True Men are limited in their advancement potential due to lacking mutations), Carapace/Freezing Hands turtles for bump-attacking dudes, and high-Ego Light Manipulation/Sunder Mind/Time Fugue for massive laser death raves for a more "caster"-style character.

Does the merchant (Tam? I think) give any quests? I have a bad habit of offing him once I hit lvl2 so I can get any of the sweet carbide gear he might have.

Flaming hands plus attacking the same dude a lot is hilarious and terrifying. I found that out by attacking a merchant and his crew, taking em all out then managing to die on the drat pack mule turtle thing cause it's like crazy tougher than them. We ended up dancing around on fire for a bit till I just kinda finally screwed up and some steam got me. Think I might stick to freezing hands next time even if it means I get stuck in place a bit, cause I'm sure they will be too.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Does the merchant (Tam? I think) give any quests? I have a bad habit of offing him once I hit lvl2 so I can get any of the sweet carbide gear he might have.
If you're like me and like to play Water Merchant or Priest of Suns a lot, you can usually buy out all the water, nuggets, and good gear with just some snapjaw weapons every time he restocks.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

amuayse posted:

If you're like me and like to play Water Merchant or Priest of Suns a lot, you can usually buy out all the water, nuggets, and good gear with just some snapjaw weapons every time he restocks.

I tend to be more the agile stabby type myself and have pretty lowish Ego on average. Might try to redistribute stats a bit. Sucks being overburdened with water too.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I throw everything into a chest in Joppa and buy all the nuggets I find. I had about 20 full waterskins and a whole bunch of laser weaponry in it around level 25.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The skill that lets you drop a 3x3 square of friendly plants on a target is pretty hilarious. I like how you can then also move a seedspitter to the next screen or whatever by changing places with it a couple of times.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

My axe turtle is level 9, I've cleared out rust wells and fallen in love with the farmer's daughter. Where next?

And how do I manage food? I get famished repeatedly and have to force myself to eat snapjaw corpses, even though butchery is turned on. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious about the food/eating system.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Passing over corpses butchers them with your Butchery skill if they qualify. Snapjaws can't be butchered and are poo poo for nutrition anyway. Bears, goats, knollworms, and crabs are all good candidates for food. You can also buy food from merchants - I recommend vinewafers since they're piss cheap, you can usually get a shitton of them at a time, they weigh nothing, AND they hydrate you when eaten. Try heading to Joppa and talking to the farmer guy at the entrance and the warden by the elder's little manor-hut; they'll trade if asked (use tab) and have at least 100 vinewafers each.

e: Oh, I almost forgot - severed body parts are reasonably light and will be automatically eaten if you get hungry, so pick 'em up and keep 'em for snacks :unsmigghh:

Go talk to Argyve in the bottom left of Joppa. He has another quest for you after you bring him his wire. You have to talk to him again after handing the wire quest in to get it.

You could also talk to the farmer guy for a quest to go to Red Rock and do some stuff there. If you've cleared Rust Wells you should probably be strong enough to handle that. I recommend it; the Snapjaws there tend to have steel equipment, and the reward for completing the quest is quite good.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 2, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there an 'eat' key I'm missing, or do you have to do it through the 'get' menu every time you want to eat the corpses of your slain foes :black101:? It would be awfully convenient to have a 1-or-2-key combination for "eat whatever I'm standing on".

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is there an 'eat' key I'm missing, or do you have to do it through the 'get' menu every time you want to eat the corpses of your slain foes :black101:? It would be awfully convenient to have a 1-or-2-key combination for "eat whatever I'm standing on".

I'd like to know this as well...

I guess taking the Butcher skill kinda circumvents it and otherwise if a monster has no drops you can hammer space, space, A

But yeah

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Eating corpses happens automagically if the are in your inventory, and they will be prioratized over normal foods. Try stocking up on glowfish and glowcrows since they're light.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Cool fanfic/game intro-tutorial a fan wrote: http://inurashii.xyz/qud-guide.html

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

packetmantis posted:

It's not finished yet, but I believe they've said it's going to be some kind of town. I got the impression that it's a broken space elevator in addition to being some kind of mechanimist holy site.

the spindle also looks like it could be a space elevator.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

the spindle also looks like it could be a space elevator.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Technically, it's not travelling if the jet pack keeps both feet in the air.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
First concrete results from regionalization. Working on procedurally turning a cave system into a little town. Starting with walling cul-de-sacs off into little dwelling areas.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 3, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Needs more beds and cabinets.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

Needs more beds and cabinets.

Yeah, this is literally just the first step I've taken with it beyond building abstract regions. Gonna give it some more flesh tomorrow. Maybe I'll have the first pass ready for Friday.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Will the guy standing inside the wall be included?

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Axe turtle waltzed through Red Rock and Grit Gate, now lvl 11. Anything to do or know before Golgatha?

unormal, really enjoyed the sense of discovery at the end of Grit Gate just from the change in tile use, but I feel like I missed why the waydroids were leaving me alone and murdering hermits. I'm sure it was in the quest text, but maybe a pop-up the first time a droid comes on screen?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

bisonbison posted:

Axe turtle waltzed through Red Rock and Grit Gate, now lvl 11. Anything to do or know before Golgatha?

unormal, really enjoyed the sense of discovery at the end of Grit Gate just from the change in tile use, but I feel like I missed why the waydroids were leaving me alone and murdering hermits. I'm sure it was in the quest text, but maybe a pop-up the first time a droid comes on screen?

One of your rewards from Argyve is a Droid Scrambler, which makes waydroids friendly/neutral. It's in your inventory.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
And yeah he does indeed tell you about this when he gives you the quest.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

dyzzy posted:

And yeah he does indeed tell you about this when he gives you the quest.

I know I'm a terrible games player, but I just skim a lot of text. A "the hum of the droid scrambler in your pack seems to soothe this savage waydroid" popup the first time you see a would-be hostile droid would help idiots like me connect the dots.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Last run i finished the rust wells and red rock quest, was doing good for myself, bought some cool poo poo and then accidentally shot Mehmet in the face with my shotgun. The warden fellow was not happy at all and turned me into ice cubes. I need to work on my keybinds cus that was quite unfortunate.

What keys do people usually bind their attack skills and such to?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

Last run i finished the rust wells and red rock quest, was doing good for myself, bought some cool poo poo and then accidentally shot Mehmet in the face with my shotgun. The warden fellow was not happy at all and turned me into ice cubes. I need to work on my keybinds cus that was quite unfortunate.

What keys do people usually bind their attack skills and such to?

I bind mine to Ctrl+<key>, but you have to careful not to bind around X or you could accidentally give yourself a mountain of XP. Binding around W isn't as bad since you can just cancel out of the wish prompt.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

I bind mine to Ctrl+<key>, but you have to careful not to bind around X or you could accidentally give yourself a mountain of XP. Binding around W isn't as bad since you can just cancel out of the wish prompt.

You should probably just unbind the wish and xp-cheat commands, there's no reason to have them bound by default; I unbound them in a recent build in the default keymaps.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty stoked about getting the Tiles version soon :D

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is there any more fluff or lore on the arcologies? Especially Ekuemekiyye since they're my favorite.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

No fluff or exposition! That's what makes it arcane and weird and awesome.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm in Grit Gate but I can't figure out how to open any of these doors.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've tried bumping them and pressing space/o next to them, but I'm getting no results - not even a message about nothing happening, or anything like that.
e: I'm stupid and hadn't actually picked up the quest.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 4, 2015

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

Hick Magnet posted:

I'm in Grit Gate but I can't figure out how to open any of these doors.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've tried bumping them and pressing space/o next to them, but I'm getting no results - not even a message about nothing happening, or anything like that.
e: I'm stupid and hadn't actually picked up the quest.

I do believe the RNG screwed you a bit and you need a card key. I know certain ones open more than just their color though. Think there is a ranking system for them.

Could possibly dig/blow through the walls too.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

The Barathrumites will unlock the other doors as you complete more quests and win their trust.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

MrWillsauce posted:

The Barathrumites will unlock the other doors as you complete more quests and win their trust.

They don't care if you teleport/phase/cut through them, however.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Yeah, there's some chests in isolated rooms around the Grit Gate for you to plunder, if I recall. But I wouldn't do that. I couldn't bear the guilt.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Get lost in the jungle on the way to golgatha. Pygmies are moving with their idol and fighting with the goatmen. Diablo 2 comes rushing back to me as I repeatedly almost die. Are the wilderness skills worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

MrWillsauce posted:

No fluff or exposition! That's what makes it arcane and weird and awesome.

I think the devs mentioned they made a P&P setting of this. I always liked reading the History of Qud and stuff