Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
You haven't reformed the borders a shameful Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I'm unlucky or what but every time my liege has made any of this family chancellors over the last ~200 years of gameplay, which is four now, they end up getting killed :mad: Stop spamming me with offers, your majesty, I'm wise to your tricks now.

On the other hand. Having all my sons educated by my gay, possessed vassal who thinks he hears the voice of Satan can't possibly go wrong, can it? At least he's just, chaste and patient. I love you, Baron Taso. I hope you make my whole dynasty gay and crazy (I don't know if either of those things pass to wards but here's hoping)

Tendai fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 2, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tendai posted:

I hope you make my whole dynasty gay and crazy (I don't know if either of those things pass to wards but here's hoping)
Crazy no, gay kinda. The MTTH for the event making a male child homosexual is reduced by 10% if the the kid's father or guardian is homosexual.

The other modifiers:
code:
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			martial = 10
			trait = fair
		}

modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			trait = shy
			learning = 10
		}

modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			trait = trusting
			any_courtier = {
				age = 12
				not = { age = 18 }
				trait = homosexual
				reverse_opinion = { who = ROOT value = 25 }
			}		
		}

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well drat. Sorry kids, you'll have to gently caress up your inheritance in your own ways.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Coming soon:

Sexy pirates

And sexy vampires

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Neat.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When is a good time to settle as a horde?

I'm playing as the Khazars and I've managed to get myself a fairly large area. I don't know if I can keep expanding much more than this. I might consider trying to get the rest of the Jewish holy sites while I have access to this many troops and then maybe settle as a republic and let the money just flow in like crazy.

The reason I managed to take that chunk of the Abbasids is because they somehow lost it to a Shia revolt and I took it all in one subjugation.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Honestly? Never. Your potential is pretty much always better by remaining as a horde. Only settle if you want to change things up, because it's never going to be justified in terms of effectiveness.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mechanically it's never really advantageous, I've got a game as the Pechenegs, where I look like this:

the most recent thing I took over was Byzantium and I'm currently busy pillaging that, the entire rest is empty territory.
I'm also triple Khagan of Arabia, Pecheneg and Byzantium (thanks subjugation CB!)
Once you get the ball rolling on pillaging poo poo you'll be swimming in gold(I have ~150K in 970AD), tech and troops (~120K men atm iirc) and then just keep going.
It'll become a really tedious slog though, at my current rate of pillaging I have ~2-4 revolts per MONTH, so playing a year takes me 10-15 minutes.
OTOH you'll get insane amounts of prestige and piety, meaning you'll never really be threatened by your clans as long as you hand out enough land, since within a year or so any new ruler will have enough prestige to keep clan sentiment at 100.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I do find that revolts tend to happen in the same provinces, so you can just park a suitably large army there and ignore them indefinitely.

In my current game as Svitjod, I gave some land in Finland to a guy and then parcelled some more out as and when I needed to reduce my demesne. I am King level, but somehow, he was able to go Independent (no faction) as a Duke.
Any idea how that could have happened?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Huh. As the mongol empire, my city and temple barony vassals don't appear to be paying me any taxes. Not sure what's up with that.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The end results of having all 8 of my sons educated by my gay, possessed count: Seven straight, one gay, which seems fairly consistent with real life though I might know more/less gay people than most I guess.

Is there a way to take yourself out of the running from feudal elective systems? I'm somehow in the lead for next heir of the Byzantine empire on the game I just started and I am not prepared for that. Google just keeps showing me things about how to GET elected.

Problem solved itself, apparently they decided my uncle was cooler :iiam:

Tendai fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 3, 2015

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I'm introducing a friend to CK2 through an MP game with me as the Byzantine Emperor and him holding the Feudal King level title of Anatolia.
It's 974AD, we are both Greek Orthodox rulers and because he's actually much better at the marriage game than I am, has through a series of happy accidents placed his dynasty on the throne in Ethiopia. Now that he's getting to understand the game a little better we wanted to get him (not just some CPU controlled schmuck) on the throne as a Persian Zoroastrian in the Persian Empire, how (if at all) can we do this?

Couple of world details:

Persian Zoroastrians still exist, but I can't invite any due to the pagan religion malus. Shias and Sunnis have the same problem. I found a Monophysite Persian but he died before I could do anything useful with him. A lot of Persia is also cultureflipped to bedouin

I imagine the order of action is something like so:

Holy war some land together inside de jure Persia (Azerbaijan or something)
Find any unlanded Persian who I can invite to my court and land him to increase the pool of Persians
Get a Persian to tutor a child of my friend's dynasty, who is then married to Persians (and landed?)
Manipulate the inheritance game so that eventually a Persian of his dynasty becomes his heir
Land heir inside of Persian Empire, then get Kingdom title and pawn off the Anatolian kingdom to some Greek of his dynasty.
Now that he's Persian, find a Zoroastrian somewhere (invite? raid? capture in siege?) to invite to court and then tutor an heir/appoint as chaplain so he can switch religion

Anything missing or is this possible in fewer steps?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

Anything missing or is this possible in fewer steps?

The hard part is making the Persian Empire title, because it's an absolutely massive amount of land to conquer. For the culture/religion, just move your capital to an appropriate province, and use the decision to change.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Honestly? Never. Your potential is pretty much always better by remaining as a horde. Only settle if you want to change things up, because it's never going to be justified in terms of effectiveness.

In that case, what are some pointers on when and where to do it? After a couple games messing around in the steppe region, I've realized I still think of nomads very similarly to how I think of tribes. You know, a transitory stage.

Will steppe provinces near your chosen settlement become feudal/iqta/republican if you have a high enough population?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LaSalsaVerde posted:

In that case, what are some pointers on when and where to do it? After a couple games messing around in the steppe region, I've realized I still think of nomads very similarly to how I think of tribes. You know, a transitory stage.

Will steppe provinces near your chosen settlement become feudal/iqta/republican if you have a high enough population?

You get your capital plus up to 20 provinces converted to your culture + religion, as well as 200 troops per empty holding. If you convert to a republic, up to 4 of your tribal vassals will get turned into your patricians, all of their tribes turned into cities, and castle + temple added for them if they have room.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bloodly posted:

Setting the potential start date to 1(Crusader Kings 2/common/defines.txt) is minorly interesting. The Papacy comes into existance in 42AD. Byzantine Empire(as something with a playable character) shows up at something like 200, A few Zoroastrians(The lord of Kartli) are about as far back as 50AD. Pictland has someone about back to 210. Ireland(Specifically, the duchy of Munster) becomes a thing in 369.
Nomads don't exist at all that far back.

Mercs are basically un-hireable; their numbers and upkeep are too huge.

Effectively it's 'shattered world'-everywhere there's no one, it creates random guys.

But can you play as Jesus in 1 AD? Oh dear I would love to conquer the world as Jesus.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
There's an anime character portrait mod on the workshop. I installed it for a laugh.

Seems legit.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Some of them have eyes. :stare:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Some of them have eyes. :stare:

They all have eyes! Look to the upper right of each portrait... and despair!

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
What happens if I'm pressing a weak claim against a child and he becomes an adult? Do I get to finish the war? Or do I lose my cassus belli and the war gets cancelled?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

FutonForensic posted:

They all have eyes! Look to the upper right of each portrait... and despair!

:gonk:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is the eye off the face trait genetic?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Anonononomous posted:

What happens if I'm pressing a weak claim against a child and he becomes an adult? Do I get to finish the war? Or do I lose my cassus belli and the war gets cancelled?
It continues, if I recall correctly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Lord, horde troops are just insane. Despite the picture, this weren't actually horse archers on my side - they were camels.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Is the eye off the face trait genetic?

Actually yes. It seems to only happen with characters from Greece or Italy.

It seems the author, for some inexplicable reason, had the Mediterranean Portraits DLC enabled when he made the mod.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is the mediterranean Portraits one particularly bad? I think I've heard that before

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Strudel Man posted:

Lord, horde troops are just insane. Despite the picture, this weren't actually horse archers on my side - they were camels.

They only had a 25% advantage over you with normal troops, and camels have a large defensive bonus, so you'd take few casualties. All cavalry armies means anything you defeat gets run down and slaughtered in the pursuit phase. Add to that they had no leader aaaand, you get that.

e: really when you look at these you should count the Light Infantry as being zero. Because thats how much they effect the outcome of battles.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 4, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Is the mediterranean Portraits one particularly bad? I think I've heard that before

It used to be, but they've retooled it since (and added a seperate portrait pack for Italians/Iberians), now they look pretty good.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

SeaTard posted:

The hard part is making the Persian Empire title, because it's an absolutely massive amount of land to conquer. For the culture/religion, just move your capital to an appropriate province, and use the decision to change.
Well that makes things significantly easier, thanks for the timesaver :v:

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

kingturnip posted:

I do find that revolts tend to happen in the same provinces, so you can just park a suitably large army there and ignore them indefinitely.

In my current game as Svitjod, I gave some land in Finland to a guy and then parcelled some more out as and when I needed to reduce my demesne. I am King level, but somehow, he was able to go Independent (no faction) as a Duke.
Any idea how that could have happened?

Best guess: guy had an heir who was independent. He died, and the independent heir inherited his territory. Alternately, guy was himself the heir of an independent duke: he inherited the duke's territory and became independent. (I think?)

If Feudal, bump your crown authority up to High to prevent this.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

In addition to what has been said already, very focused armies also have access to fewer tactics in combat, and if they roll a good one all the troops benefit instead of only part, which is another reason they punch above their weight class.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Anyone else love combing the AI for random stories that would create a sweet narrative?

badass :black101:

EDIT: Photios the Quarreler was a total lame-rear end though. The way I figure it went is that first Theodoros assassinated the Emperor to put Photios to the throne, then Isidoros maneuvred to make his way to the Empire, then Theodoros put Photios on the throne again, by which time he had seen the writing on the wall ("This guy is really good at killing emperors, though") and had him executed. Best thing is that totally sounds like something that could happen in history (unlike what I personally play as, Finnish tribes united by Karelians and running roughshod over Scandinavia).

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 4, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That's a pretty sweet UI re-jig with the attributes in the boxes on the left there. Is something I can get without having to deal with the rest of whatever mod that is?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Autonomous Monster posted:

That's a pretty sweet UI re-jig with the attributes in the boxes on the left there. Is something I can get without having to deal with the rest of whatever mod that is?

Maybe, it's part of Historical Improvement Project, most parts of it are standalones, I think.

This guy is unlucky. Ok, that's partly my fault but he did join a war against me. Ok I may have brutally invaded his kingdom half a dozen times while it was crumbling around him but it was there right for the taking!

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I just found out that this is a thing. There was also a short period where Jesus stopped giving him advice.

Going to assume that it was Prince Mszczuj himself who captured the king of Poland during a little war we just had.

Now he's dead and his son is my rival :(

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 4, 2015

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
What's the highest ability score you've ever seen, both with and without the military advice modifier?

In my Latin Empire game, I saw a king of Hungary with 38 Diplomacy, and this was despite being shy. I also saw someone with 53 Martial with advice modifier.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hadaka Apron posted:

What's the highest ability score you've ever seen, both with and without the military advice modifier?

In my Latin Empire game, I saw a king of Hungary with 38 Diplomacy, and this was despite being shy. I also saw someone with 53 Martial with advice modifier.

If you count ruler designer stuff in one of the multiplayer games I managed to get a character up to 103 intrigue.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

If you count ruler designer stuff in one of the multiplayer games I managed to get a character up to 103 intrigue.

That's like asking if using the console is ok too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Is there an ironman compatible mod that makes handing out titles easier? I just finished a mongol empire game where finding individual counties to hand to specific people was a nightmare.

• Locked thread