Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

goferchan posted:

Hahahahah if you press triangle with the right timing in mission 1 after you rescue Miller and he asks you to say the magic words, Snake gives him the good old "Kept you waiting, huh?"

God drat it I wanted to know how to do this, I felt incredibly bad about not being able to say it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Feenix posted:

I captured the Riot SMG Blueprint. But I cannot develop it (Do not see on list) Do I need to return to base first or something?

You can do all your R&D via your iDroid in the field but even if you get the blueprint you still need the money/materials/R&D level to research it. On the research screen tab over from the "available projects" to the SMG screen and check out what the requirements are

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but during the "Rescue the old Mother Base soldier" side ops, if you walk up to them in a cardboard box and stand still for a couple of seconds while they check you out, they'll recognize you as Snake, and give up without a fight.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The riot AR is better anyways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just checked out the online dispatch missions, and holy poo poo they are awful. 22 hours for 100k GMP and four C-D recruits? gently caress that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just checked out the online dispatch missions, and holy poo poo they are awful. 22 hours for 100k GMP and four C-D recruits? gently caress that.

Unlike regular ones they run in the background when you're not playing the game but yeah it seems otherwise pointless unless you're not gonna play for a while

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Snak posted:

How long? I'm on like mission 25...

he's literally in the brig, like captured soldiers tend to be. at least that was the case for me. eventually miller will do whatever miller does, and he'll be out, and then you can move onto the next part of the chain

Go do some side ops!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well they are operating on the assumption that you would put them on that mission if you aren't going to be playing for a day anyways

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but during the "Rescue the old Mother Base soldier" side ops, if you walk up to them in a cardboard box and stand still for a couple of seconds while they check you out, they'll recognize you as Snake, and give up without a fight.
That's interesting because from the way they run around flailing and do something insane that nearly kills you when they bump into you, I figured they had Skull syndrome and something horrible happened to them during/after the Mother Base attack. I guess they just have bad PTSD or something?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's interesting because from the way they run around flailing and do something insane that nearly kills you when they bump into you, I figured they had Skull syndrome and something horrible happened to them during/after the Mother Base attack. I guess they just have bad PTSD or something?

The boss isn't there to give them direction. Worse than PTSD.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

goferchan posted:

You can do all your R&D via your iDroid in the field but even if you get the blueprint you still need the money/materials/R&D level to research it. On the research screen tab over from the "available projects" to the SMG screen and check out what the requirements are

Thats what Im saying. I don't even see it in my list ANYWHERE. (on any tab.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

senae posted:

he's literally in the brig, like captured soldiers tend to be. at least that was the case for me. eventually miller will do whatever miller does, and he'll be out, and then you can move onto the next part of the chain

Go do some side ops!

I just thought that doing story missions would advance time. This guy has been in the brig for a long time.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

PantsBandit posted:

Hmm? Doesn't Kiefer say that in Ground Zeroes anyways?

vOv

It's from the 'Snake doesn't say anything' complainers. Seems as you get further in he has more to talk about. Well, not about, but in response to.

It's almost like he's depressed as poo poo and lives a reactionary existence.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Control Volume posted:

The riot AR is better anyways.

It's so drat good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This isn't what it is? I mean they have crazy smoke grenades and can OHKO you, I thought they had been skullified like the soldiers that go all zombie when the skulls show up. I have seen Big Boss get thrown off bridges, shot thousands of times in the face, be electrocuted like crazy, and he gets knocked out by someone flailing their arms around?

Faffel posted:

vOv

It's from the 'Snake doesn't say anything' complainers. Seems as you get further in he has more to talk about. Well, not about, but in response to.

Snake has always been reactionary apart from some codec calls. There is a reason why "Metal Gear?!" Has become a long running joke in the community

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

goferchan posted:

For those wondering about whether stuff you destroy at bases respawns, the guide says it happens after you've completed 5 missions. It doesn't mention an exception for anti-air radar but I'm pretty sure there is one, as far as I can tell landing zones seem to be permanently unlocked by disabling them.

Awe man, that means I wasted a bunch of time last night. I destroyed all comms, power and radar at a few bases because it makes messing with enemy soldiers super easy. Well, it wasn't a total waste because playing with C4 is a blast! :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Snak posted:

Yeah i did that side op, but I didn't get anything special. This game has been holding my hand so much I expected a call from ocelot telling me about it. Where is it at in the menu?

Just to note, you also need to do the side op to get the stun arm blueprints for some ungodly reason. I put off getting it forever and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the gunsmith.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Well they are operating on the assumption that you would put them on that mission if you aren't going to be playing for a day anyways

The problem is that the reward is absolute trash no matter how you look at it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

True but 100k is better than 0k

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

Yeah i did that side op, but I didn't get anything special. This game has been holding my hand so much I expected a call from ocelot telling me about it. Where is it at in the menu?

You have to do all three.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Count Uvula posted:

Just to note, you also need to do the side op to get the stun arm blueprints for some ungodly reason. I put off getting it forever and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the gunsmith.

Oh that's it then. The stun arm is so unwieldy to use I wasn't interested in getting the upgrade for it. I still haven't managed to hit anything with it and I can't imagine what advantage it has over a running bionic left-hook clothesline.

No seriously, running bionic punch is the best thing.

edit: ^ So legendary gunsmith, stun arm upgrade, and what's the third one?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Snak posted:

Oh that's it then. The stun arm is so unwieldy to use I wasn't interested in getting the upgrade for it. I still haven't managed to hit anything with it and I can't imagine what advantage it has over a running bionic left-hook clothesline.

No seriously, running bionic punch is the best thing.

The stun arm actually becomes somewhat useful when you start running into the guys in full heavy armour that you have to either CQC or stun to take down non-lethal. A fully charged hand blast knocks them out for a while.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Snak posted:

The 'you have to do all three' referred to all three with legendary gunsmith in the name. Stun arm BP + legendary gunsmith unlocks the second, beating the second unlocks the third.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

The stun arm actually becomes somewhat useful when you start running into the guys in full heavy armour that you have to either CQC or stun to take down non-lethal. A fully charged hand blast knocks them out for a while.

That's great news, I hate those guys so much. It takes 3 sniper headshots to kill them. That's insane. Yeah I had been just running up to them an CQCing them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Day is absolutely dragging because I have been up late and not really sleeping so I can play TPP

can't wait for the weekend so I can continue to not sleep and play TPP

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Day is absolutely dragging because I have been up late and not really sleeping so I can play TPP

can't wait for the weekend so I can continue to not sleep and play TPP

Ditto. I may have passed out in my gaming chair the night before last for about 4 hours, and then I only got 5 hours of sleep last night when "i'll play until midnight" somehow turned in to 3am.

"The Devil's House" spoilers LOL at LITERALLY showing words down people's throats. Never change, MGS.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Can you not connect the companion app at all when the servers are down? Seems silly to me that my tablet can connect to the PS4, yet if their lovely online mode isn't working because they thought 1 server could handle millions of people then I'm SOL.

Fun fact: every helicopter ride from Mother Base to Afghanistan takes at least 13 hours to complete :eng101: Thanks Google Maps!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
So another dead end, I finished mission 41 and now all I have open in the mission list is just a bunch of repeats of previous missions with specific rules to make em harder.

Do I really have to play the same missions over to get the plot moving? Come on MGS5...

No plot related side ops either.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Was anyone actually able to get the daily reward for yesterday?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
gently caress, for Mission 13 - Pitch Black, I thought I was being clever by putting a C4 on the pump, the shutoff button and the power and then blowing them all simultaneously when I was outside the facility.. Turns out the C4 doesn't activate the shut off button and I had to sneak back in. Lame.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Manatee Cannon posted:

Has anyone actually finished one yet? I am extremely suspicious of the stated engagement rewards because the reward following the engagement is always like 5 additional items on a completely different magnitude. Like the destroy the supply lines engagements nearly single handedly funded a lot of my deck 2s.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dr. Stab posted:

Was anyone actually able to get the daily reward for yesterday?

I sure wasn't. :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Feenix posted:

Thats what Im saying. I don't even see it in my list ANYWHERE. (on any tab.)

Ohhhh sorry Customization is only available when you're in the ACC (the helicopter, which took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out... thought t was some special room on Mother Base)

By the way, for anyone wondering about the benefits of showering, it provides a temporary buff to reflex mode duration, max HP, and Fulton recover chance. Also interesting: when you get a really bad injury to your chest that you have to hold triangle to heal, your maximum HP takes a 15% hit. The only way to FULLY heal up is go back to the ACC

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gortarius posted:

So another dead end, I finished mission 41 and now all I have open in the mission list is just a bunch of repeats of previous missions with specific rules to make em harder.

Do I really have to play the same missions over to get the plot moving? Come on MGS5...

I'm around this point too and it's kind of frustrating because I want to finish with the story, but you can't really rush through these.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Ohhhh sorry Customization is only available when you're in the ACC (the helicopter, which took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out... thought t was some special room on Mother Base)

By the way, for anyone wondering about the benefits of showering, it provides a temporary buff to reflex mode duration, max HP, and Fulton recover chance. Also interesting: when you get a really bad injury to your chest that you have to hold triangle to heal, your maximum HP takes a 15% hit. The only way to FULLY heal up is go back to the ACC

I swear that the ACC wasn't originally intended to just be "on the helicopter". There's even dialogue like "I'll tell you when you get to the ACC, just get on the chopper" so in like 10 seconds then?

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Haha, I loved my birthday surprise from Ocelot, Miller, and a bunch of masked goons. Was hoping I'd get a special gun or something but it was still a very cool little moment that makes me love all the little 'different' things Kojima does all the more.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Snak posted:

I swear that the ACC wasn't originally intended to just be "on the helicopter". There's even dialogue like "I'll tell you when you get to the ACC, just get on the chopper" so in like 10 seconds then?

According to operations protocol a helicopter is not the ACC unless it is in cruising altitude.

I just made that up but I think its semi canon because there is a hint somewhere that says "when Snake is in the helicopter, it becomes the ACC" like there is some tranformative event where it isn't just Pequod anymore.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gortarius posted:

Yep. Just be glad your not searching for this one dude 7 times over after he keeps escaping the brig. loving peace walker.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Snak posted:

ACC just means Airborne Command Center. Why wouldn't the helicopter be the ACC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Faffel posted:

vOv

I've noticed that Keifer Sutherland does most of the talking during cassette tapes, a first-person view, when Big Boss's face is off screen, and bandaged up as Ismael. Did Kojima Productions have a difficult time scheduling him for motion capture sessions? It seems ironic considering he was specifically brought in to do facial capture during voice recording.

I'm still not finished with the game so I don't know if he gets more of an active speaking role in cutscenes.

• Locked thread