Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Legend of Kay was released on the PS2 in March 2005 for Europe and September 2005 for America. It features a cat, named Kay, facing the takeover of the island of Yenching by burly Gorillas and sly Rats. After realizing the flaws in his washed up, alcoholic master, Kay the cool cat decides to journey across the land to stop the invasion.

This game was pretty well received, garnering mostly positive reviews and is a very enjoyable action platformer. But that's all that happened aside from a DS port in 2010 and I was pretty sure I was the only person who actually played this game, so I was all up for LPing it, until they announced the HD version for PS4, Wii U and PC. So, okay, I'll LP that instead. And here we are.

Legend of Kay HD is a very simple remaster, as far as I know nothing has been changed in the game aside from the textures and interface and the addition of achievements, which I should be able to get all of them in one playthrough. However, as far as this game is concerned, this will be a blind, Day 1 LP. I do have the game on PS2 and use it for practise, but if something is changed in some way, then I'll probably get stuck, won't know what to do and cry.

Oh yeah, BUY THIS GAME!!! The developers (being Nordic Games, since Neon Studios no longer exists) have expressed interest in releasing more games on the Wii U if this game sells well enough. I mean, I'm sure it won't since you Nintendo babbies only buy baby games for babies. And also because this game is getting barely any advertising or discussion. Well I, as a well known LP superstar, am here to say that you should buy this very fun game, but you probably spent your money on the MGSV preorder. Well, yeah, who wouldn't. But you don't need to eat that family sized pizza, dooooo you? There are other things you could spend your hard earned cash on... Hmmmmmmmmm???

This game obviously isn't perfect, it's rated 12+ just so they could include some bad language and create cognitive dissonance with these cutesy animals. The voice work is laughably bad and the levels are pretty linear, with no way to go back to previous ones. There's also a point system that you'll need to really minmax to get all the extras, like concept art and other worthless crap, I won't be too upset if I miss out.

Joining me for this cat-tastic adventure, will be the ghost of June Christmas' Past: Dirty Deeds Done. Enjoy this furry good LP! That'll be the last of the cat puns, I purrmise.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Fascinating, I'd have never guessed this game would get an HD re-release. It's been on my list of games to LP even though I've never played it, it just seems like the sort of thing I'd like being a sucker for PS2-era action/adventures. I look forward to seeing if my instincts were correct.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Darn it, I actually bought the original PS2 game (along with Legend of Kya) and was planning on LPing it some point. I had no idea they made an HD remaster. Is it as terrible-but-not-actually-that-terrible PS2 platformer / Zelda clone as it looks?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Darn it, I actually bought the original PS2 game (along with Legend of Kya) and was planning on LPing it some point. I had no idea they made an HD remaster. Is it as terrible-but-not-actually-that-terrible PS2 platformer / Zelda clone as it looks?

Ha, I had the anagram double feature idea as well. Apparently this game only appeals to LPers. I can see why, the ridiculously horrible writing and acting combined with such a slow introduction would kill the momentum for anyone looking for a "good" game, but it offers a lot to talk about and I find it very charming so far. Looks like this is going to be a fun thread.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

While the story and voice acting are bland and a bit rubbish, the controls and level design are really good. This really exemplifies gameplay over story, because one is great and the other is poo poo.

I also thought the subtitles would be a bit difficult to see on yt, but then I remembered polsy. Hopefully the video is now large enough for people to see. I don't think I can get it any bigger though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Apologies if you can't see the video too well, Polsy is just not being too friendly, so by all means, expand to fullscreen if it's easier. Maybe I'll figure out what the problem is.

Edit: All working now, you should be able to see the video fine!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 22, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm glad Dirty Deeds Done mentioned Nier's boar drifting. That was the first thing that leapt into my head when I saw the tutorial mention it: "holy poo poo there was a precident for boar drifting".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh man, this game. I bought in on a whim, played it for awhile, and then managed to sequence-break into a place with an autosave trigger and no way out as far as I could tell. So I started over, played back to where I'd been, and I think the game crashed and I lost my save.

So basically, while I enjoyed what I did play, damned if I was going to replay the beginning a third time. :(

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I... have literally never heard of this game. I am intrigued.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I looked at the first two-ish videos, and it looks interesting. I think I'll stick around.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So it's a good thing I've only gotten two videos up, since I'll have to postpone this for about a month or so.

Basically, my computer has now decided to overheat whenever I render something. It wasn't doing that a few days ago when I was getting the second video ready, but now it's decided to be too warm for whatever reason. So I'll have to wait until the government gives me money in September to buy a new laptop that is able to render things properly. Great.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, things aren't melting anymore, so let's continue.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 22, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Nice to see this back in action~

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 22, 2015

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
I swear there's a part in this video that actually looks kind of fun and I react positively to

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
It looked like the game was basing their intelligent species off of the Chinese zodiac (with cats standing in for tigers), but then bears showed up.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The game is Chinese inspired, but not by that degree.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We meet the imposing dragon Tor Chi.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am slowly catching up on those videos. This game seems kind of fun. But what where they thinking with those subtitles? Even if I look at them in fullscreen they are way to small to be readable. If I would play this myself, it would really annoy me. There isn't really a reason that the text boxes have to be so small right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Air is lava! posted:

I am slowly catching up on those videos. This game seems kind of fun. But what where they thinking with those subtitles? Even if I look at them in fullscreen they are way to small to be readable. If I would play this myself, it would really annoy me. There isn't really a reason that the text boxes have to be so small right?

They were not that small in the original. Maybe the HD port was lazy in that respect?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It might also be a problem with the resolution I record at. Since there aren't any in-game display options (something that's been in PC games since forever), I record at my dumb monitor's resolution of 1280x1024, which Youtube does not like, so I move it to 1080x720, which is why I have those black bars. I don't like it, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 5, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I've just caught up with the videos in this. I honestly can't guaranty I'll buy this game because of that ridiculously slow introduction, but as soon as you got that armor I was interested. This game kinda looks like a combination of Jak 1 and Maximo 2 to me, but I'll stop comparing it to other games before it gets annoying.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This kills the boar.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Now we enter into the second area: the swamp.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
While cats may have better eyesight than rats, rats barely use their eyes. They mostly use smell. That's how the rats spotted you through the mist.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Putting up a video today because I'm moving back to uni tomorrow, so there will probably be a week's break or so with videos.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
This game was the poo poo when I was a kid. Looking back on it, I can't believe I never noticed how bad the voice acting and story is, but I can confirm it's a lot of fun to play, honest!

The boar racing is frustratingly hard at times, though. 20 attempts at one race is not so much fun.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

GirlCalledBob posted:

This game was the poo poo when I was a kid. Looking back on it, I can't believe I never noticed how bad the voice acting and story is, but I can confirm it's a lot of fun to play, honest!

The boar racing is frustratingly hard at times, though. 20 attempts at one race is not so much fun.

Sounds like bits of the first Jak & Daxter game (or Jak 2 for that matter). Thinking about it, I actually see quite a few similarities between Legend of Kay and Jak & Daxter. Kind of tempted to pick it up...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, we're back. And this LP has encountered yet another problem. Have a new mic that automatically did noise removal and I thought it sounded fine, so we did a nice big recording session, great fun. But it actually sounds pretty lovely, but it'll only be for the next four goddamn videos. I've fixed it after that, but for now, beep boop I am error. LPing is hard. :(

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
The LP that no-one asked for and just won't die

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Nice first thing and they're already threatening to set children on fire.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Look at this smug motherfucker. Let's kill some reptiles.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Don't worry, David Cameron trying to get fellatio from a dead pig's head made it to the US news, because how could it possibly not?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Comrades, it is time for the glorious Crocodile Temple!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, you wanna peek behind the curtain? Because I just cannot stop loving up, I accidentally deleted the original footage, thinking that I'd already exported this video all fine and dandy. So the only surviving part of this video is the basic crap I send to Deeds over dropbox. So, we fight a giant turtle, ride a dragon and help a panda get arrested. I would not blame you skipping this video.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I've seen entire LPs in comparable video quality to your one bad episode, so I wouldn't worry about it overly much. It's still watchable.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

True, but it's so easily avoided. Still tinkering around with things also, think I need to get a new mic. Anyway, let's free that panda and join La Resistance.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
According to the Wikipedia, Donkey Kong is in the category of "fictional gorillas", so there you go. He's a gorilla. According to the Wikipedia. Gorillas themselves are herbivorous apes.

I hope that answers your question, "is anyone watching this LP?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah neat. I'm sure the gorillas throwing barrels is an obvious reference. One room later on is pretty blatant, thinking about it.

And I'm pretty happy with how many views my videos have been getting, it's about on par and I'll get more when it's archived. Weirdly enough, more people viewed part 14 then 13. I definitely see that the LPer is only as crazy as their audience. :v:

• Locked thread