Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

Haha what the gently caress. And somehow it's even more obnoxious/jarring inline on their website.
especially when it abruptly stops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it still manages to be more professional than when Unitrends went through the anime phase.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Another OTRS user/admin chiming in to say that it does the job and is pretty simple to set up etc. It's pretty powerful, though we don't have it doing much beyond basic ticketing, but I've set up a couple rules/autojobs to move tickets to people etc.

Upgrading/migrating it is a bit annoying, but it's more just that it's a lot of steps (especially if you're moving it to another machine instead of upgrading in place, which is necessary if you're trying to set up a new one and verify it works before decomming the old in-production version) than actually difficult.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
How do I convince my senior network engineer to let me clean up the poo poo heap of a mess he made when installing a new switch stack? 4 brand new 48 port switches, no cable management, wads of cable feeding everywhere around the rack, no port organization so departments are plugged in wherever and empty ports are littered everywhere.

He says organizing things, which I definitely have time for, is a no value added project. He would rather me move directly to the final goal of implementing multiple vlans by mapping out his mess and document the result.

These brand new switches look like a disaster and it drives me nuts to not have cable management or physical organization of vlans.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

physical organization of vlans.
Is this a thing?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Judge Schnoopy posted:

physical organization of vlans.

Sorry, what?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

adorai posted:

Is this a thing?

int range g0/1-6
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10

Now do the same when ports 1-6 are actually ports 6, 23, 14, 9, and one you have to go trace the cable on because nobody knows where it goes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sheep posted:

int range g0/1-6
switchport mode access

Now do the same when ports 1-6 are actually ports 6, 23, 14, 9, and one you have to go trace the cable on because nobody knows where it goes.

Yeah, I was going to say it sounds like he meant certain switch ports have specific native vlans.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sheep posted:

int range g0/1-6
switchport mode access

Yeah, sorry, I meant this. Ports 1 through 15 are sales, 16 though 30 are warehouse, so forth. Sales needs a new drop? Patch in to ports 10 and 11, no configuration necessary, and everything is nice and clean. Need to troubleshoot a half duplex problem for a warehouse printer? Check the second section on switch 1 for your cable.

Edit: I should note that the vlan project is designed to alleviate traffic on the access switches and is separate in goal from my organization project. They just so happen to coincide with the same equipment so it makes sense to do them both at the same time.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 4, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah, sorry, I meant this. Ports 1 through 15 are sales, 16 though 30 are warehouse, so forth. Sales needs a new drop? Patch in to ports 10 and 11, no configuration necessary, and everything is nice and clean. Need to troubleshoot a half duplex problem for a warehouse printer? Check the second section on switch 1 for your cable.

Yes, wouldn't want to get too virtual because reality might float away if not anchored properly.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I was going to say it sounds like he meant certain switch ports have specific native vlans.

That's how I do things. I imagine it'd devolve into a management nightmare of conflicting maps of infrastructure and "did I remember to update the documentation when I added a new cable run?"-esque problems if you didn't. Is there anyone here who, if given the option, doesn't do this?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sheep posted:

That's how I do things. I imagine it'd devolve into a management nightmare of conflicting maps of infrastructure and "did I remember to update the documentation when I added a new cable run?"-esque problems if you didn't. Is there anyone here who, if given the option, doesn't do this?

The only time I can think of is when specific ports are in specific rooms for specific departments that need a VLAN but the loving goobers who wired the place did some loving shitnugget numbering (I think they literally just grabbed things cable by cable when patching to the panel and went "OK you're 1, you're 2, you're 3", or something) so the ports in a specific room (the "lab") were in no way contiguously numbered. gently caress that loving wiring job. I ended up using different wire color to indicate VLANs since the VLANs were pretty much static and I needed some way to easily see what ports were what physically.

But yeah other than that or other things where physical port layout requires it, not organizing your VLANs in ranges seems pretty dumb.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
sh mac add add <insert mac here>

no documentation needed.

If I had to keep track of what department was plugged into what port i would nerd rage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, there is a balance between keeping things clean to make it easier when the poo poo hits the fan or to be more time efficient overall and going completely overboard to satisfy your OCD tendencies. That sounds like the later to me.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Sheep posted:

int range g0/1-6
switchport mode access

Probably something like this:

int range gi 0/6, gi 0/23, gi 0/14, gi 0/9, gi 0/whatever
switchport mode access

You would never have to trace the cable as other people have pointed out.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Yeah I see no reason not to physically logically cable except for defiant nerd reasons.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I've had to arrange for a Ricoh tech to come pick up our old Ricoh printer that we leased (replaced with lease renewal two months ago) twice now. The first time that was scheduled the guy coming to pick it up had a horrible accident and has been in recovery since (the week after). I've just heard that the printer is still at the site and that the second Ricoh tech has also somehow wrecked his vehicle/had an accident and never made it by to pick it up. Now on tech number 3. Printers really are evil. :psyduck:

Referring back to this, I now cannot even get our sales rep to answer his phone to schedule the pick up again. This is pretty confusing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Referring back to this, I now cannot even get our sales rep to answer his phone to schedule the pick up again. This is pretty confusing.

Friday before a 3 day weekend? That dude is gone... Might get a hold of him on Tuesday.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FaintlyQuaint posted:

he fears for his own safety

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are the Robert Half IT salary guides worth anything? On Tuesday I'm going to have a meeting discussing conversion to full time. I need a significant raise to be able to stay at this position, because I didn't realize how hard health insurance and a second person's significant medical expenses were going to gently caress my wallet. On the bright side, the amount I need is still within the Robert Half guide's range.

I'm also in a position where within a couple months I'll be providing some T2 support that nobody else on help desk can provide. It's currently being provided by the head of the development department, who has plenty to do without taking tickets. I'm hoping I can leverage that to at least put me at a T1.5 level of pay. It also took them three months to find me, and I'm hoping that their desire to not be drastically understaffed will give me leverage too.

I'm thinking of starting out asking 55k in not-Boulder Northern Colorado. They do pay well by all accounts, nobody has said how much they make to me but everyone agrees on that at least. The problem is that when I got my contract, I was stupid and desperate and only asked for 34k. I know there's a few Colorado goons in here, does that seem reasonable? Does it seem like I could ask for more?

I'm applying for jobs this weekend anyway, I'm nervous. I'd like to stay where I am, but I have mouths to feed.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

In my experience, if you are honest about with employer about your situation and needs they are generally likely to meet you somewhere around there, as long as you're firm about them. Keep in mind they probably get about 25% of the workforce per year coming to them with the same bullshit that may or may not even be true, but, if you are worth $x to the organization and you making $x wont ruffle any feathers and replacing you would be a hindrance... you have a good shot at being able to say "I need to make $x to continue working here" and having them meet you there. I wouldn't waffle though -- I had a coworker in a similar situation and he agreed that maybe $x minus 5k was doable for him and then they lost all faith in him and just figured he was going for a cash grab. If you're gonna play the direct honesty "needs" card, it helps to be direct and honest.

Again though, at least in my experience, when you say "I need $x to continue working here" be aware that you are setting the stakes pretty high. The first situation I did this in, it was pretty literal. The immediate next question from my review staff was "If we can't pay you $x, will you be quitting?" and I basically said "Yes." and left it at that.

I'll preface this once more with an "in my experience" because I've only been in tech jobs for 2 years, but, in the end salary guides don't really mean a lot. It's about what kind of value you provide to the org, how costly and annoying it would be to replace you, and how much leverage you have as an employee which is some function of whether or not you have an offer letter, are already considered a flight risk, how much institutional "learned" knowledge your position requires, and poo poo like that.

They did some handwavey poo poo and put off further discussion about the raise until I quit. They panic counteroffered at my new salary plus 10k but I declined because, as a rule, I try not to accept counteroffers.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the Robert Half IT salary guides worth anything? On Tuesday I'm going to have a meeting discussing conversion to full time. I need a significant raise to be able to stay at this position, because I didn't realize how hard health insurance and a second person's significant medical expenses were going to gently caress my wallet. On the bright side, the amount I need is still within the Robert Half guide's range.

I'm also in a position where within a couple months I'll be providing some T2 support that nobody else on help desk can provide. It's currently being provided by the head of the development department, who has plenty to do without taking tickets. I'm hoping I can leverage that to at least put me at a T1.5 level of pay. It also took them three months to find me, and I'm hoping that their desire to not be drastically understaffed will give me leverage too.

I'm thinking of starting out asking 55k in not-Boulder Northern Colorado. They do pay well by all accounts, nobody has said how much they make to me but everyone agrees on that at least. The problem is that when I got my contract, I was stupid and desperate and only asked for 34k. I know there's a few Colorado goons in here, does that seem reasonable? Does it seem like I could ask for more?

I'm applying for jobs this weekend anyway, I'm nervous. I'd like to stay where I am, but I have mouths to feed.

I'm working in the DTC and making very similar to what you want in a T1 role. I don't know how specialized the help desk stuff you're doing is, but $34k seems on the low end.

e: we're hiring if you want to move...

rafikki fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 4, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rafikki posted:

I'm working in the DTC and making very similar to what you want in a T1 role. I don't know how specialized the help desk stuff you're doing is, but $34k seems on the low end.

e: we're hiring if you want to move...

Yeah, I was making 30k at my last job, but underestimated how much money I was making in OT. I also didn't think about health insurance, let alone realize it's probably going to cost me $300 a month. We are also both chronically ill, so prescriptions and doctor visits for her add up.

I'm pretty sure she would divorce me if I suggested moving down to Denver. I'd divorce me. Maybe Boulder. I also have enough experience now that I would be trying for at least T2/Jr Sysadmin between my AD experience and the powershell I'm studying.

The specialized support is SQL, I've picked up a lot of it in a short time thanks to my college programming background. I'm going to get acquainted with the DB system and then start fielding as many of the tickets on it as I can.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am pretty sure I am talking to my own replacement right now :laffo:

Guy I've never heard of joins a massive conference call for a production issue. I've never met him so someone does a quick introduction, his title is director of architecture. I'm like, bro are you me?

Ugh, if I get laid off I'm going to have to go make 40% more money somewhere else and not be stuck on a conference call on Friday night because our software broke our poo poo for the 700th time, this loving sucks guys what am I going to tell my family about all the time they're gonna spend with me and all the money we'll have, they'll be so upset

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Almost no company will give a 70% raise. You'd be better off getting a new job.
Disclaimer: I got a 45% raise once, but I was horribly underpaid, the company was desperate to keep me, and it still took 5 months and the intervention of the Sr. Vice President to get it approved.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mrit posted:

Disclaimer: I got a 45% raise once, but I was horribly underpaid, the company was desperate to keep me, and it still took 5 months and the intervention of the Sr. Vice President to get it approved.

Confirmed. I just changed companies to the tune of 70% more(100% more when you calculate in total compensation) after spending 2 years trying to fight to get enough to just pay rent, and being the only person there who actually managed to get 2 token raises in a 2 year period.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I was making 30k at my last job, but underestimated how much money I was making in OT. I also didn't think about health insurance, let alone realize it's probably going to cost me $300 a month. We are also both chronically ill, so prescriptions and doctor visits for her add up.

I'm pretty sure she would divorce me if I suggested moving down to Denver. I'd divorce me. Maybe Boulder. I also have enough experience now that I would be trying for at least T2/Jr Sysadmin between my AD experience and the powershell I'm studying.

The specialized support is SQL, I've picked up a lot of it in a short time thanks to my college programming background. I'm going to get acquainted with the DB system and then start fielding as many of the tickets on it as I can.

There are good paying jobs available in Fort Collins / Loveland / Longmont and the $50k ballpark is totally reasonable IMO. Otterbox and Avago in particular seemed to just always be hiring. There's also a secret Constant Contact office in Loveland.

There is a lot of demand for IT talent in CO and not nearly enough candidates to go around. Especially if you're willing to get into the Linux / cloud ~DevOps~ space. Hopefully now that you're past the entry level hurdle you can start finding some better opportunities!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I've had to arrange for a Ricoh tech to come pick up our old Ricoh printer that we leased (replaced with lease renewal two months ago) twice now. The first time that was scheduled the guy coming to pick it up had a horrible accident and has been in recovery since (the week after). I've just heard that the printer is still at the site and that the second Ricoh tech has also somehow wrecked his vehicle/had an accident and never made it by to pick it up. Now on tech number 3. Printers really are evil. :psyduck:

It reads like a Stephen King story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mangler

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
My boss just came back from VMWorld and said that when he described our environment to people he met, quite a few people told him to get another job.

Probably doesn't bode well for me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mrit posted:

Yeah, I recognize that. I just figure that the worst thing they'll do is say no, and I'm not currently technically on the payroll since I'm a contractor. They're not going to walk me out the door, at least. I've got a month until my contract ends. I asked to know by 2 months, but they didn't get around to it until now.

It's really a shame, the OJT that we had in the works was going to be awesome, but I can't pay bills with future earnings.

I'm studying Powershell rather than SQL right now, and I'm applying for jobs this weekend. I know how to manage accounts in AD, I know how to read Meraki reports, I've done a little bit of O365 account administration, and if I can write even a little bit of Powershell I'm hoping that will tip me over the edge into Jr. Sysadmin territory.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

beepsandboops posted:

My boss just came back from VMWorld and said that when he described our environment to people he met, quite a few people told him to get another job.

Hey we're looking for some people, message me.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

beepsandboops posted:

And your boss is implying this is your fault or...?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Barracuda Bang! posted:

And your boss is implying this is your fault or...?
Nah nothing like that, it would just really blow if he left because he knows how to keep our weird old environment limping along. If he left, our company probably wouldn't pay for a competent replacement, leaving me in a world of poo poo.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any of you ever hear of an IT guy pulling off US → EU immigration with a WGU degree?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

Any of you ever hear of an IT guy pulling off US → EU immigration with a WGU degree?

Company I work for has no problem bringing in college drop-outs from outside the EU. It seems to depend more on skill/experience/offered salary so if WGU is a proper institution and not a diploma mill it shouldn't be a problem.

edit: A quick google search tells me there are differences between various EU countries.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 7, 2015

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ugh, if I get laid off I'm going to have to go make 40% more money somewhere else and not be stuck on a conference call on Friday night because our software broke our poo poo for the 700th time, this loving sucks guys what am I going to tell my family about all the time they're gonna spend with me and all the money we'll have, they'll be so upset

Why wait?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just updated my resume for the job hunt I'm hopefully not going to have to be on. The Resume/Interview thread in BFAC basically says none of their rules apply for technology jobs. Would anyone be willing to take a look at my resume, see if there's anything that shouldn't be on there, or that's obviously missing?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just updated my resume for the job hunt I'm hopefully not going to have to be on. The Resume/Interview thread in BFAC basically says none of their rules apply for technology jobs. Would anyone be willing to take a look at my resume, see if there's anything that shouldn't be on there, or that's obviously missing?

Paging DarkHelmut!

Seriously, I credit that guy for getting me my (current) dream job.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Post it there anyway. I and others pretty regularly look over tech resumes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone here going to SANS in Vegas next week so I know to avoid you?