Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
2 questions, one of them a "local" issue. True car has some bananas cheap rear end prices for Focus and Fiesta STs in my area, because Ford (I live in metro detroit). I assume some of these prices could be swayed by the weird bonded labor bullshit that the big 3 have, where its basically assumed you buy a new car from them every couple years for basically invoice prices.

Truecar says the Focus ST base is about 23.5k in my area, and the fiesta is 21.5. Does that sound similar to what you guys have seens?

Second question, I drive an 07 civic si sedan (FA5) and the weight of the clutch, especially after swapping hydraulics to the older EM1, is pretty heavy. My commute has a ton of traffic and the bite point of the clutch is very low, and its a lot of leg work.

Are the ST clutches pretty light? A nice feathery light clutch sounds good, but not at the sacrifice of a clean bite point. I have literally never stalled my civic since I upgraded the hydraulics.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

PaintVagrant posted:

Are the ST clutches pretty light? A nice feathery light clutch sounds good, but not at the sacrifice of a clean bite point. I have literally never stalled my civic since I upgraded the hydraulics.

IMO they are pretty heavy. I drove my brothers FiST and my FoST both have a spring in there. Some people (ITT included) hate it and have pulled it out with good result. I don't mind it.

jfreder posted:

We wish we would have gotten the Focus. At the time, the Focus was barely anymore money and any handling or dynamics benefit the Fiesta has over the Focus is not apparent during the normal commute. We mostly miss the benefit of having more space.

I was the same way but opposite. I have the Focus. I had a Honda Fit before which had a much more utilitarian rear hatch area and was able to fit both wider and taller stuff. The Focus has more room than the Fiesta-- but don't buy it thinking you are getting good useful room. You can carry more suitcases than your Fiesta counterpart but not much more.

My brother's FiST, fully loaded, whatever the ST3 equivalent was, was still a few thousand less than my ST1 FoST. That being said I bought mine when they were in pretty high demand in the beginning of 2013, but still.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The assist spring on the Focus ST provides a bit of resistance in the first half of travel until you push past the middle of the pivot, then becomes an assist spring for the remainder. This creates an inconsistent amount of resistance throughout the travel of the pedal.

It also makes the pedal travel really long, in my opinion, and I didn't like it. Some people remove their springs, others replace them with a spring that just lifts the pedal up a bit past where it would fall naturally without spring assistance (owing to concerns about the pedal weight applying enough pressure to partially disengage the clutch), and some modify their springs so there are fewer coils (it's wrapped around a piston sort of thing).

I personally don't like the feel of the pedal with the spring in there, the pedal sits too high for my comfort and I much prefer the feeling I get from older cars with heavier clutch pedals that provide a more direct response feel.

Leaving the spring in should result in less resistance for some of the pedal travel, you'd have to try it out and see if you found it comfortable.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

PaintVagrant posted:

Second question, I drive an 07 civic si sedan (FA5) and the weight of the clutch, especially after swapping hydraulics to the older EM1, is pretty heavy. My commute has a ton of traffic and the bite point of the clutch is very low, and its a lot of leg work.

You might like the clutch on a GTI or A3. European car makers seem to usually have the engagement high on the pedal and the clutch on a GTI/A3 (or at least my A3) is very very light. It's so light that after 5 years of driving a BMW it took me almost six months of driving to stop myself from pinning it right to the floor on every shift.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah, In addition to the weird resistance on the pedal in the Focus ST, the manual straight up tells you to take the pedal to the floor for every shift. It's a good knee/thigh workout.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hrm. Good info guys. I would prefer ideally a low engagement point with a lighter pedal feel, which it sounds like maybe can be customized in the ST's. I need to go drive one.

I would actually love a GTI, I think they are one of the best looking cars on the road interior and exterior. But I have never owned a VAG product and am a bit scared! I have been spoiled by Hondas too, my car has 132k on it and runs like a fuckin top, other than burning a little oil cuz VTEC BRO. I fully expect it to get to 200k without any major issues, assuming I keep it that long.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I finally bought one. Very happy with it :) 2016 GTI with the proper amount of pedals, base otherwise. As far as clutch feel, it is very light but I think the car heavily pulls throttle or something when you're trying to take off from a stop. It is easy to stall until you've done it a few times. I've driven a lot of cars and this was a new one for me. My daily commute is 5 miles of surface street, then 20mi of freeway - I've been averaging 30 during rush hour time and I somehow managed 37 on the way home last night when there was no traffic. Other than that, I've been beating on it.

Trip is equal to total miles on the car - 7.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 5, 2015

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

BlackMK4 posted:

I finally bought one. Very happy with it :) 2016 GTI with the proper amount of pedals, base otherwise. As far as clutch feel, it is very light but I think the car heavily pulls throttle or something when you're trying to take off from a stop. It is easy to stall until you've done it a few times. I've driven a lot of cars and this was a new one for me. My daily commute is 5 miles of surface street, then 20mi of freeway - I've been averaging 30 during rush hour time and I somehow managed 37 on the way home last night when there was no traffic. Other than that, I've been beating on it.

Trip is equal to total miles on the car - 7.

My god, so beautiful.
Congrats! I almost wish I'd gotten a GTI instead of an R. They're just so pretty.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Also lol at the last page of manual gear shifting drama, you guys sure are upset about that.
I don't know how to drive a manual (well) so the fact that the 2015 R only came with DSG suited me handily.

Also I happen to break myself constantly so driving with two hands isn't always an option.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Defghanistan posted:

No poo poo if this was in NA I would've bought this over my golf R in a HEARTBEAT.
This thing is amazing.
A-mazing.

It's a pretty epic little car. It's fast as hell, feels like a go kart, and sounds... kind of antisocial in the right circumstances. The best bit is my 68 year old mother driving around in it - she absolutely loves it.

MetaJew posted:

He was in Australia and the car was over $100k USD, I thought. Madness, but I kind of want one.

I'm still in Australia :) The A45 was $83000 Australian when I picked it up about 18 months ago - around $77000 US at the time or $57000 today.

You know what really sucks? I just ordered a new C63s wagon. $171000 - $117000 USD :( It's not the same bargain the A45 was :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hey does anyone have the email address and or phone number to the exec at subaru who thought canceling the wrx hatchback was a good idea? thanks in advance.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Don't worry, they'll just wait so late in the model run to reintroduce it that it will somehow lose out every comparison test under the sun.

And I will probably still buy it over a Focus RS because I have turbo Subaru wagon/hatch stockholme syndrome.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
imo the styling of the newer WRX looks like an old GC Impreza that got stung by a bee and had an allergic reaction

The old Imprezas had that low hood line I like and now they're all bulgy everywhere

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

How often does Ford run the current 0% APR + 1000 cash deals on the Focus ST? Its probably the thing that would swing me towards the Focus over the Fiesta currently, as the prices almost end up equal when accounting for the interest on the fiesta.

The current deal runs til the end of september, which is a little earlier than I wanted to buy.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Has anyone talked to their local dealers about reserving a Focus RS? I've been hearing rumbles that the official pricing and availability date will drop this weekend at the Frankfurt auto show, and I'd like to hedge my bets to get one of the first ones that hit the states. Do dealers normally ask for deposits for things like this? I want to actually spec the car to my exact order, so I didn't know what I should expect going into that process.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Huge_Midget posted:

Has anyone talked to their local dealers about reserving a Focus RS? I've been hearing rumbles that the official pricing and availability date will drop this weekend at the Frankfurt auto show, and I'd like to hedge my bets to get one of the first ones that hit the states. Do dealers normally ask for deposits for things like this? I want to actually spec the car to my exact order, so I didn't know what I should expect going into that process.

Bring lube.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Huge_Midget posted:

Haven't heard anything, you'll need to talk to your dealer (pick highest volume dealer in the area first, they're more likely to get an early allocation) to get one reserved. You'll spec it out when the order banks open, and once you do that you'll get a copy of the DORA report (dealership order receipt acknowledgement IIRC) which confirms the factory has received the order and the options are correct. Once you have that you can track it via COTUS or a ford rep on the various specialty forums. You'll need a deposit at some step in there, and to agree on a price at some point, and then its a normal sales transaction when it arrives.

GutBomb posted:

Bring lube.
That too.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

GutBomb posted:

Bring lube.

ilkhan posted:

Haven't heard anything, you'll need to talk to your dealer (pick highest volume dealer in the area first, they're more likely to get an early allocation) to get one reserved. You'll spec it out when the order banks open, and once you do that you'll get a copy of the DORA report (dealership order receipt acknowledgement IIRC) which confirms the factory has received the order and the options are correct. Once you have that you can track it via COTUS or a ford rep on the various specialty forums. You'll need a deposit at some step in there, and to agree on a price at some point, and then its a normal sales transaction when it arrives.

That too.

Thankfully I have an in on this, my father in law is the service manager at one of the highest volume Ford dealers in our state, so I should be able to negotiate under good faith and use his Ford D-plan. I'll be dealing directly with the sales manager and not a normal salesman, and I doubt they'll try to do any "market adjustments" with me.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

PaintVagrant posted:

How often does Ford run the current 0% APR + 1000 cash deals on the Focus ST? Its probably the thing that would swing me towards the Focus over the Fiesta currently, as the prices almost end up equal when accounting for the interest on the fiesta.

The current deal runs til the end of september, which is a little earlier than I wanted to buy.

When I went FiST shopping they said they had 0% plus rebates for FoST but not the Fiesta. After a couple test drives they said the rebates was also for fist, and I got 52 month 0%.

So in short, I dont turn know. But if the dealership thinks 0% financing will make or break the deal, they might throw it in.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

how hard is it to find an oxford white focus st? apparently pretty hard! nobody in this region has one for sale. i'll let my credit union's car buying service deal with it instead. ugh.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

fyodor posted:

hey does anyone have the email address and or phone number to the exec at subaru who thought canceling the wrx hatchback was a good idea? thanks in advance.

NO KIDDING.
What a stupid loving decision.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

fyodor posted:

how hard is it to find an oxford white focus st? apparently pretty hard! nobody in this region has one for sale. i'll let my credit union's car buying service deal with it instead. ugh.

I love my Oxford White. It never looks dirty from 10 feet away, except the wheels which I don’t wash on principle - and now those look bronze.

Edit: and the car’s name is Shadowfax.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

bobfather posted:

I love my Oxford White. It never looks dirty from 10 feet away, except the wheels which I don’t wash on principle - and now those look bronze.

Edit: and the car’s name is Shadowfax.

Ditto. We've had water restrictions all summer so I haven't washed my oxford FoST in a month and it still looks ok.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Defghanistan posted:

NO KIDDING.
What a stupid loving decision.

In Subaru's defense, they're not a big company and it's more lucrative for them to focus on producing more CUVs and SUVs than hot hatches. Besides it looks like they staggered the design and production of the WRX sedan and hatchback probably to alleviate having to design and build two lines of low production cars simultaneously. That isn't to say that it makes it any better having to wait at least three years from the sedan's release for the hatchback to come out, assuming the Q2 2017 rumor is correct.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah, Subaru has significant production capacity constraints and frankly they need to appeal to the billions of American soccer moms and millenial retards rather than building five thousand WRX hatchbacks where maybe 2,000 of those customers would bitch like hell but buy the sedan anyway.

edit: not that I'm not also irritated, since no hatch ruled out the WRX for me, but it's a logical business decision, unfortunately.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Ok can you guys just let me stomp my feet and be irrationally annoyed? What's with all this reason and logic?
=)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Okay, then just make me (deep breath here) an XV Crosstrek WRX STI. Or XV Crosstrek XT, even if it means the CVT is in there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i thought we were trying to come up with poo poo that subaru could sell

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

just signed the paperwork on my new 2015 focus st in oxford white. yay!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fyodor posted:

just signed the paperwork on my new 2015 focus st in oxford white. yay!
Another sucker for the 0%/1000cashback offer?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Ordered an Accessport to get rid of the annoying-rear end rev hang. And upgrade to a "Stage 1" map on 93 octane, since I'm already running an upgraded intake and RMM.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ilkhan posted:

Another sucker for the 0%/1000cashback offer?

actually i took the ford $2000 incentive and got .9% from my bank. win-win. :thumbsup:

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Some part of me wants to sell my 2015 red golf R and buy a 2016 white GTI SE with sport pack in manual instead of DSG.

That's a bad idea right?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fyodor posted:

actually i took the ford $2000 incentive and got .9% from my bank. win-win. :thumbsup:
Nice.
Full specs?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Defghanistan posted:

Some part of me wants to sell my 2015 red golf R and buy a 2016 white GTI SE with sport pack in manual instead of DSG.

That's a bad idea right?

Why not the '16 R?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ilkhan posted:

Nice.
Color/specs?

Im picking it up tomorrow (having it delivered... thanks ford concierge!) but it's this:

Base package + machined aluminum wheels in oxford white

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

GutBomb posted:

Why not the '16 R?

I like the looks of the GTI more. The wheels are more attractive and the sunroof adds a lot to the exterior appearance. Interior I dont think the sunroof is really that great but hoo boy does it look nice from the outside.
Also I have a DSG right now and kind of want to know what it's like to drive a hot hatch manual.

But the R is so fast...
=(

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

fyodor posted:

Im picking it up tomorrow (having it delivered... thanks ford concierge!) but it's this:

Base package + machined aluminum wheels in oxford white

Very beautiful, congrats!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Defghanistan posted:

I like the looks of the GTI more. The wheels are more attractive and the sunroof adds a lot to the exterior appearance. Interior I dont think the sunroof is really that great but hoo boy does it look nice from the outside.
Also I have a DSG right now and kind of want to know what it's like to drive a hot hatch manual.

But the R is so fast...
=(

I just meant that the '16 has a manual available. Good reasons though. I don't think I would ever pick a GTI over an R unless I just couldn't afford the R or the R was only available in auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Defghanistan posted:

Very beautiful, congrats!

Thanks! Having never owned anything with more than 115hp im sure i'll be in a ditch in no time!