Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so late in the game you can get some special side Ops. Eliminate the Skull puppets, aka zombies. Now, I don't know if this happens because of the Wandering Mother Base soldiers are also counted as puppets, but any puppet you extract automatically gets a service medal which boosts their stats by a lot. And a lot of them seems to have pretty drat decent stats to start with. I got like 4 A++ dudes and 3 A+ dudes from doing one Side Op with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Hey guys the checkpoint system is basically an invisible ring around each outpost and base, you hear a music cue when you get close enough and you can exit back and forth to constantly keep saving.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its a really boggling decision to keep the helicopter out of the fast travel loop but I got over it because 1. My comfortably loaded set of gear costs 15k, which is paid for by one side op, and 2. The world is actually suspiciously small from the back of D Horse or in a jeep so I can clear a wad of side ops if I'm really worried about the gmp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Found this cool goat. Punched it with my bionic arm. It is now in the zoo.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
so I played ground zeroes but otherwise knew absolutely nothing about what TPP was going to be like. needless to say this is basically the best surprise ever. wow.

I've finally got my first gripe with the game, though. I'm on the first mission in Africa. I've been playing for awhile now because I did like everything in Afghanistan before deciding to move on. I thought, remembering how annoying it was not being able to communicate with the Soviet soldiers due to Boss's language amnesia, instead of sending the Boss on the first few missions, I'll have some of my Afrikaans-speaking mooks handle them until we get an interpreter. That makes sense, right?

So when I deploy on the first mission I hit select character for the first time, and I swap Snake/Boss out for an English/Afrikaans/Russian-speaking guy with an A+ combat rating and a distinguished service medal. Seemed like the guy for the job.

but it didn't work! what is the point of telling me all the languages each individual soldier speaks if you're just going to ignore all that when I actually send one out into the field? :confused:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

Found this cool goat. Punched it with my bionic arm. It is now in the zoo.

I've punched like eight donkeys into my zoo

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

blackguy32 posted:

Edit: also, I have had good luck with the basic sneaking suit. The camo really didn't seem to make much difference.

Same. There was only one time that I was legitimately surprised they saw me, and I'm not convinced it wasn't a bug.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Guys, the stun fist is really good for punching bears.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

I have a weird bug on PC where the blood effects on Snake won't wash off.

It doesn't matter if I use the showers on mother base, switch uniforms, or characters. When I use other characters they can get blood on them and wash it off just fine, but for some reason my game has snake permanently covered in gore. Has anyone else had this problem before/know a fix for it?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Helicopter stuff if fine, but it's weird that you can't swap between LZs in the field like you can on Mother Base.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

zedprime posted:

Its a really boggling decision to keep the helicopter out of the fast travel loop but I got over it because 1. My comfortably loaded set of gear costs 15k, which is paid for by one side op, and 2. The world is actually suspiciously small from the back of D Horse or in a jeep so I can clear a wad of side ops if I'm really worried about the gmp.

even if I have a bunch of side ops that are close together, I take the helicopter to each one because now that I've taken out all of the AA radar in Afghanistan the absolute fastest way to clear most side ops is to just drop in directly on the target location and mow everyone down with the minigun :kheldragar:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

That's hilarious. I can understand sort of why that happens but it seems like it should've given you some kind of in game warning.

I had the same thing happen to me, and Kaz will call you and say something to the effect of "You are leaving the mission area, Boss". But the warning comes way too late, as in "Barely enough time to react and turn around" too late.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Scoops posted:

It doesn't matter if I use the showers on mother base, switch uniforms, or characters. When I use other characters they can get blood on them and wash it off just fine, but for some reason my game has snake permanently covered in gore. Has anyone else had this problem before/know a fix for it?

game mechanic spoilers it might be that your "demon score" is so high that you can't wash off the blood

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Scoops posted:

It sounds like you've become a Demon. Is your horn longer than it was at the beginning of the game?

If you've been a huge rear end in a top hat in-game Snake can't wash the blood off his hands.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Looking at equipment and MB stats of friends who've advanced through the singleplayer enough to reach endings

it's confirmed that I'm spending too much time researching gear, building platforms, goofing off and exploring :v:

Scoops posted:

You're either having a kill-nearly-everyone playthrough and your horn is p.big or it is a bug.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CJacobs posted:

It's really not. Serviceable, maybe, but it's very annoying and easily fixable in a way that would have no detriment.

No, it's fine. You get multiple options for getting around the various maps and none of the ones that are your primary method of getting back cost anything, even the pittance that helicoptering in and out costs you. It's a really weak complaint. Engage with the mechanics the way they're presented and it's perfectly fine.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I haven't done any story missions after mission 12 for four hours. Instead of moving on I've just been loving around in Afghanistan.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Scoops posted:

Have you considered..... it may not be a bug.....

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

No, it really is poo poo. But then again it feels pointless considering most times you need a chopper, you can just choose to return to the acc.

Edit: also, I have had good luck with the basic sneaking suit. The camo really didn't seem to make much difference.

If it's day time you stand out like a sore thumb up to like 100 meters IIRC. But supposedly it's way better at night.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Have you considered..... it may not be a bug.....

I wondered but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the heads up

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How do you get around the skulls when they first appear?

How do I put any music through my speakers, which I'm not even sure are equipped?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Elendil004 posted:

How do I put any music through my speakers, which I'm not even sure are equipped?

1) Get on D-Horse and ride. Ride like hell.

2) Once you've researched the speakers, the music player control panel under Cassette Tapes has a button (I think it's the very rightmost one) that says Speaker on/off. On the Xbox controller it's RT to go to the control panel once you have a cassette tape open on iDroid.

If you meant helo speakers, once you've researched them, once you have a song selected, the bottom of the iDroid screen has a hint for the right button. On the Xbox controller it's X.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So I guess because I got disconnected from Konami's servers yesterday, the online combat deployment I sent out was interrupted and is still sitting at a full day's time. :toot:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

Wait for them to cross the bridge. Or get on your horse and peace the gently caress out.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wish there were Mujahideen fighters in Afghanistan. It'd be neat to have some fights randomly break out between them and the Soviets.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yess I finally got the Legendary Gunsmith and now have a silenced tranq sniper rifle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Yess I finally got the Legendary Gunsmith and now have a silenced tranq sniper rifle.

Once you get Quiet's as well, you can do cool sniper stuff together. It's kinda cool to have her take out one guy while you take out the one next to him. You have a much better chance at taking out people wearing helmets though since she doesn't really get the concept of hitting them in the face.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dezztroy posted:

I wish there were Mujahideen fighters in Afghanistan. It'd be neat to have some fights randomly break out between them and the Soviets.

or for the pashto interpreter to be useful for more than hearing prisoners thank you for saving them from getting executed

on another note, I'm fond of putting markers on guards when I'm focused on eliminating them (also if I see an A+ guy or more when I'm surveying an area initially, to remind me to snatch him), which means when I'm stalking someone I usually have a fix on the distance between us. from this I've learned some useful stuff:

the maximum distance at which a guard will be drawn to the site of a falling magazine seems to be about 15 metres. this is affected by ambient noise like rain or heavy machinery, but not by walls.
the minimum distance for a headshot from an M4 (without any barrel modifications to extend its effective range) to be considered a "tactical takedown" seems to be 50 metres.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

why do menus become laggy when connected online :wtc: that's the dumbest programming thing I've ever seen

kloa fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 5, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Scoops posted:

I wondered but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the heads up

uh, I'm pretty sure it is? unless this is some kind of story-related development. I pretty much always play as snake and he's always able to wash blood off with a shower.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Regy Rusty posted:

Isn't it the greatest thing ever?! :allears: I feel nearly unstoppable now with a silenced tranq sniper rifle and 8x scope.

Its going to be crazy once I upgrade from bolt action to semi auto.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

the maximum distance at which a guard will be drawn to the site of a falling magazine seems to be about 15 metres

This seems to be the case for the "knock" command too

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Is there a good alternative to the tranq pistol? I'd really like to have a lethal sidearm but the windurger is just so useful.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Great, thanks for the speaker advice. With the skulls, I meant get around them stealthily. Do I just wait longer for them to cross the bridge? They just sat there my first time through.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Looking at equipment and MB stats of friends who've advanced through the singleplayer enough to reach endings

it's confirmed that I'm spending too much time researching gear, building platforms, goofing off and exploring :v:

Same here! I've been having a blast doing it, too.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Illegal Username posted:

Is there a good alternative to the tranq pistol? I'd really like to have a lethal sidearm but the windurger is just so useful.

CQC

The tranq sniper is a good substitue once you unlock weapon customization. Other than that, there are assault rifles and shotguns that fire non-lethal rounds. Haven't tried either though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Great, thanks for the speaker advice. With the skulls, I meant get around them stealthily. Do I just wait longer for them to cross the bridge? They just sat there my first time through.

2nd time through You can select a different LZ, skipping them entirely

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's mildly amusing to skim the last 20 pages of the thread and see individuals oscillate from 'best game ever' to 'I failed this mission once this is absurdly lovely game' to 'the AI is atrocious' to 'this is amazing'.

I actually quite like how the checkpoints put you outside the base so if you mess up you can try an entirely different strategy instead of being locked into 'already killed half the base with 2 alerts' situation. If you spent an hour tranq'ing people and screwed up and got spotted and had to start over, that should probably tell you a) don't be so OCD about tranq'ing the entire base a second time or b) stop expecting the game to hold your hand and make sure you only have to play the last 180 seconds of gameplay if you mess up. Softbellied gamers, BB is whipping you into shape.

e:

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

uh, I'm pretty sure it is? unless this is some kind of story-related development. I pretty much always play as snake and he's always able to wash blood off with a shower.

It's a result of your behavior as a player. Do enough 'bad' things and your horn grows and you can't clean the blood. There's a stat that is essentially anti-heroism that impacts it.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 5, 2015

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
So I recall hearing that Code Talker is a character from some previous game. Was that just some bullpuck or does he actually appear somewhere outside of MGS5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's really poo poo how you're forced into the online FOB stuff. Didn't they emphasize pre-release that it was a completely optional thing?

• Locked thread