Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
do mechanical keyboards make a difference when typing words? does it increase my WPM (words per minute, thats like Actions Per minute)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

anime was right posted:

wait are you telling me video games are not part of the creative process? gently caress!

I wasn't sure about this, apparently not, sorry :(

crabrock posted:

I stopped playing video games, and joined thunderdome a week later.

best decision i ever made.

Broenheim posted:

so you want to write?
stop playing video games
and just write, write, write

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

anime was right posted:

are you telling me i bought this pro-gaming logitech keyboard for NOTHING?!

Yeah

sorry

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

anime was right posted:

do mechanical keyboards make a difference when typing words? does it increase my WPM (words per minute, thats like Actions Per minute)

The sound of a mechanical keyboard is quite pleasing to the ear and provides its own encouragement to keep writing. It may not increase your WPM but it will increase your MWPH (minutes writing per hour [a very useful metric for determining WE{writer efficacy}]).

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

thehomemaster posted:

Not sure if this is the best place, but here we go:

For all spec fic authors in AUS/NZ do read on

http://www.fantasticascifi.com/novella-2015/

I am part of a small group organising a spec fic imprint and we are holding a competition to kick things off. Now there is still a month until the due date, but if you are working on a longer piece it might be worthy

A little bit about us:

And because we are nerds

I'm down. Will runners-up be paid if they're selected for publication? Surely you guys can spring for beer money for the writers.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I found this cool thing: http://www.smokelong.com/2016-kathy-fish-fellowship/

It's a sort of flash fiction residency for new writers. Pays $500 across the year, along with being published in every issue and some kind of mentoring (it looks like).

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm down. Will runners-up be paid if they're selected for publication? Surely you guys can spring for beer money for the writers.

50% royalties, any other money comes out of our pockets, which are not very well paid given we all work various jobs in publishing.

EDIT: To clarify, there will be one winner, but any entries we feel we could work on will then be asked if the author wants to get on board the good ship Fantastica. Would get a full edit, jacket, etc. 50% royalties on all sales, print on demand and ebook.

If you want an example of the model, check out seizureonline.com and the Viva la Novella competition.

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 31, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

videos games are bad for writing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

anime was right posted:

Raised mine from 105 to 115. The clicky sounds are great, but if you live with other people it'll probably drive them batshit. More than that, though, typing on a mechanical keyboard FEELS wonderful.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Sebmojo just posted the next Long Walk thread. Basically, you pledge to write at LEAST 4000 words for the month, under pain of :toxx:

If you're having trouble getting your rear end in gear and like having people to suffer along with, consider signing up this month.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sitting Here posted:

Sebmojo just posted the next Long Walk thread. Basically, you pledge to write at LEAST 4000 words for the month, under pain of :toxx:

If you're having trouble getting your rear end in gear and like having people to suffer along with, consider signing up this month.

Sadly, my first thought was, "JUST 4000? Any idiot could do that." and then I thought back over what I'd written in August.

Ugh.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

magnificent7 posted:

Sadly, my first thought was, "JUST 4000? Any idiot could do that." and then I thought back over what I'd written in August.

Ugh.

Couldn't help noticing you haven't signed up yet, either.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's called the long walk for a reason.

I just counted and people have written nearly three quarters of a million words in the thread since it started.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I'm still working on my novel, it's up to about 50,000 words at this point and I really like how it's turning out.

Do you normally wait until you've finished a long work to edit it or do you go back every now and then and rework it?

Beyond the hundreds of commas that I probably missed (gently caress commas). I'll end up rewriting small bits of the story to make it flow better or to make sure my characters are reacting uniformly according to their personalities, etc etc.

I'm a little intimidated by the idea of going through 80k+ words of editing all in a row, it seems like it would take almost as long as writing the book in the first place to do correctly. So I don't know if I should go back and work on it chapter by chapter as I go.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Agent355 posted:

So I'm still working on my novel, it's up to about 50,000 words at this point and I really like how it's turning out.

Do you normally wait until you've finished a long work to edit it or do you go back every now and then and rework it?

Beyond the hundreds of commas that I probably missed (gently caress commas). I'll end up rewriting small bits of the story to make it flow better or to make sure my characters are reacting uniformly according to their personalities, etc etc.

I'm a little intimidated by the idea of going through 80k+ words of editing all in a row, it seems like it would take almost as long as writing the book in the first place to do correctly. So I don't know if I should go back and work on it chapter by chapter as I go.

Usually the first thing I do when I sit down to write is read over what I wrote the day before and make minor edits. Emphasis on the word minor--dropped commas, misspellings, writing the wrong their/there (still happens), etc.--but major tweaks like character reactions, plot decisions, or rewriting sequences and chapters I save for draft 2. Once I'm done with the first draft, I let it sit for a while (1-2 weeks for shorts, 4-6 for longer works) and then run my red pen dry. Yes, it's pretty daunting when you're staring at a full unedited manuscript, but it doesn't take nearly as long as you would think.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Couldn't help noticing you haven't signed up yet, either.

Couldn't help noticing I just said "4000? That's nothing" until I noticed I only wrote two things last month: Jack and poo poo.

I'm saving all my words up for Nano.

My dog ate my homework.

Give me a minute, there's more excuses...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Agent355 posted:

The answer's going to be different for everyone. For me personally, if I stop before the first draft is finished to start tinkering with it, I'll never finish it at all. I have to get the whole story down, THEN edit and rewrite and distill and refine.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Finish the draft. Finish the draft. Finish the draft. Finish the draft. Finish the draft. Finish the draft.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
My irl writing group sent out a link to this online writing course: https://novoed.com/how-writers-write-fiction-2015

It looks pretty good- the instructors look great, although I guess there's little to no contact with them directly because it's a MOOC.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Finish the draft. Finish the draft. Finish the draft. Finish the draft. Finish the draft. Finish the draft.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

newtestleper posted:

My irl writing group sent out a link to this online writing course: https://novoed.com/how-writers-write-fiction-2015

It looks pretty good- the instructors look great, although I guess there's little to no contact with them directly because it's a MOOC.
NZ thing: If you're interested in Iowa University, their annual summer exchange Poetry/Prose courses in Wellington are going to start taking submissions soon. Each course only takes 13 people. I did the poetry one in 2012 and it was wonderful.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

lol, ''nano''

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

NZ thing: If you're interested in Iowa University, their annual summer exchange Poetry/Prose courses in Wellington are going to start taking submissions soon. Each course only takes 13 people. I did the poetry one in 2012 and it was wonderful.

ooo

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My book is out, reviews are kind, Publisher's Weekly gave it a :sun:, please buy it so I can afford to own a cat :3:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

congrats dude!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i have already purchased your book and have read several words within it, possibly hundreds,

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
About time! Great going! Assuming it's available in the UK too?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

General Battuta posted:

My book is out, reviews are kind, Publisher's Weekly gave it a :sun:, please buy it so I can afford to own a cat :3:

Nice, I'm waiting to see it in my local nerd store (or get them to bring it in) so I can go, "Yo, I know that guy online and he's cool."

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

PoshAlligator posted:

About time! Great going! Assuming it's available in the UK too?

I think the UK edition is dropping on the 23rd. Different cover and for market reasons it's just called The Traitor.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

anime was right posted:

YES,

A Thousand Times Yes.

My WPM went from 40WPM on a rubber dome to close to at least an average of 60 on my mechanical. Fewer milstakes, more accurate, and just a super satisfying experience all around.
Personally I would suggest:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-RK-9000-Cherry/dp/B004F38Y7Y
Here's mine with my baller purple alphanumeric keys.

It's super easy to clean too, the facep

I went with "blue" switches (color indicates resistance) because they're loud, clicky, and have tactile feedback when you actually engage the switch. This helps prevent you from bottoming out. Also they're higher resistance because I beat the poo poo out of my keyboard on a regular basis.

They're also heavy, which is nice if you get into a typing frenzy, as you aren't constantly adjusting your keyboard as it slides further away from you.

They're built super well, and if you have a key that goes bad you can just replace it super easy as you can order individual replacement switches and they just solder onto a PCB.

You can also find some group buys on keyboards and keycaps in quite a few places.
Massdrop is my go-to.

Point is:
Yes, mechanical keyboards are better than your average schmuck walmart or logitec board for many reasons.

Geekout Complete. I'll just slide back into the quiet obscurity that is my horrible work schedule. See you in like 3 weeks or so Goons and Thundergoons.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Fewer milstakes

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I mean, that's gotta be intentional.....right?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this joke has gone too far im sorry

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009

General Battuta posted:

NICE cover. Looks great!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lately I have been feeling the melancholy that comes with not doing enough with my time. I want to start writing again, but I am the opposite of an idea guy. I have two ideas for novels, but I want to start with shorter works. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book or website of writing prompts? I tried that seventh whatever site in the resources thread, but I really didn't like its style. I know that's a useless criticism, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Maybe too Mad Libs?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lately I have been feeling the melancholy that comes with not doing enough with my time. I want to start writing again, but I am the opposite of an idea guy. I have two ideas for novels, but I want to start with shorter works. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book or website of writing prompts? I tried that seventh whatever site in the resources thread, but I really didn't like its style. I know that's a useless criticism, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Maybe too Mad Libs?

Check out Thunderdome. Nothing like a deadline and a weird prompt to get you to write, and sometimes the microfiction you churn out can blossom into a larger work. There's a couple of Thunderdome entries that actually managed to get published.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691539&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=139#post450246224

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I thought about that after I posted. I'm honestly a little scared because I am a tremendous baby, but I guess if I wanted to avoid abrasive responses, I shouldn't have registered.

I'm going to miss this avatar.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Twist Endings Suck

1. Twist endings suck because they undermine the rest of the story. An ending that changes the entire context of everything you've just read wrenches away all the emotional capital, all the dramatic tension, all the excitement and interest. Suddenly, nothing is what it meant before, so why did the author waste my time like that? However much the author made me care about the story I was reading, a twist ending means, woah, hey, suddenly I'm reading a different story, one that’s not the one I cared about. Twist endings make the rest of the story feel less real and resonant and more like a setup to a punchline.

2. Twist endings suck because they rely on withholding information from the reader. This is especially egregious in works written from the perspective of a character who should know this information. Now, I'm not saying you need to put all your cards on the table, but if you're withholding information that is obvious and relevant to the characters, all you're doing is making me feel stupid for the fact that you didn't tell me something. I remember some advice I heard about writing mystery stories, along the lines of "never let your character know something that the reader couldn't". Imagine a mystery story where in the end, the detective solves the mystery based on a bunch of clues the reader never saw. Or imagine the detective solving the mystery like, "Ah, well, we know that alien wasps require two power crystals per hour to maintain their cloaking, so that white powder on the late Mr. Prendergast's chest told me we were dealing with alien wasps," when up until the end, it's been standard Victorian mystery-solving.

3. Twist endings suck because they're not an ending. At best, they're meta-endings, getting their legitimacy from the fact that the story is over now. But twist endings don't resolve your story--see point number 1. They unresolve your story. Now, it's suddenly a different story, but it's also over. It doesn't conclude the narrative arc in any meaningful way, it just ends abruptly. There's no sense of closure apart from the fact that there's no more words on the page.

4. Twist endings suck because they screw up a good story's structure. In a story, the early parts are where you introduce the information and the rules your story operates under. The later parts are where you move those pieces around, see how they react together, and bring it to an end. I'm not saying you can't have a hinted-at reveal near the end (oh no, your brother was the killer all along!), but you definitely can't have something that changes the rules at the end (oh no, werewolves exist and your brother, who is the killer, was a werewolf all along!). I expect a story's background to be fairly consistent once I pass the midway point. By then, I should know what kind of story I'm dealing with, and a twist ending puts off a crucial piece of the story until the end.

5. Twist endings suck because they’re designed to make the reader feel dumb. Here's a riddle: What's worth more, a new hundred-dollar-bill, or a five-year-old one? Here's the answer: A new hundred-dollar-bill is worth more than a five-year-old one-dollar-bill. Yeah, that riddle sucks. I hate riddles that rely on communicating poorly, because all they're there to do is to make the riddler feel smart and the riddlee feel dumb. Twist endings are like that. They make you feel like a clever author and make me feel like a dumb reader. Why do I want to read your story if it's set up to make me feel like a big loser at the end for not 'getting' the fact that you were being deliberately obtuse? Some people like feeling smart by figuring out twists, but it’s still an ending that’s designed to make some people feel smart.

6. Twist endings suck because they violate the trust between reader and author. When I go to read someone's story, I'm putting trust in them. I'm trusting that this story's going to make sense. I'm trusting that it's not going to waste my time. I know that what I'm reading is fiction, but I'm trusting the author to have created a consistent reality within that fiction. And I'm trusting that the author is going to tell me what I need to know to understand what's going on. If the author's trying to lead me on, planning to do a bait-and-switch with a twist ending, when I hit that twist, I'm going to lose all the trust I had in the author.

7. Twist endings suck because they turn your story into the setup for a punchline. No matter how much work goes into the beginning, a twist ending reduces the rest of the story into the preface for the twist. Sometimes, this can work in your favor, if you intend the whole piece to be a setup to a punchline, but if you want the beginning of your story to have resonance of its own and be meaningful, don’t use a twist ending.

8. Twist endings suck because they’re easy to use wrong. I have actually seen good stories make use of a twist ending. To bring back the mystery story example, I’ve read a story online that ended with basically, “all that stuff you were unable to figure out, mister detective, was because I’m actually a werewolf and my partner is a ghost,” and they still managed to fashion that into some sort of satisfying ending by focusing on the character’s reaction to that reveal and the choices he made because of it. It’s possible for a twist ending to not suck. That doesn’t mean you should write them, though. They're tough and tricky and require creatively breaking a lot of rules of good writing, and you shouldn't break rules until you understand fully why those rules are there in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Djeser posted:

Twist Endings Suck

:words:

I disagree with your premise, but agree with many of your points.

I truly enjoy when an author skillfully and artfully constructs a plot, filled with characters and events I care about, and manages to completely subvert my expectations while maintaining consistency with the narrative elements of the story. Unfortunately, that is a very rare thing and the vast majority of writers who think they are clever enough to pull it off, aren't.

• Locked thread