Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

With everybody posting Kirby stuff I'm surprised no one's posted the back-up in this week's S.H.I.E.L.D featuring Kirby's original 2 page pitch for Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD. Featuring inking from other beloved BSS artist, Jim Steranko!

(from SHIELD #9)

That's pretty drat hardcore as far as Kirby goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

A few questions...

Where is this from?
Is there a bigger verson?
Can I get it as a blacklight poster?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Looks like the Celestials.

As for getting a poster who knows? There seems to be a real dearth of genuinely awesome comic art as wall art or even high-res versions of art that people can print out on their own. I know some website did a special sale of giant prints of Kirby's "Lord of Light" concept art from the Argo operation during the Iranian Hostage but it was expensive as gently caress ($200 minimum for a print) and not blacklight.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's an illustration for an NFL magazine in 1973.
http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2013/10/01/this-amazing-jack-kirby-illustration-once-ran-in-the-nfls-official-magazine

e: Looks like someone pumped it up from the original, and removed the signature.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 29, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Heavy Metal was selling these Kirby prints with black light ink at SDCC this year.

http://www.heavymetal.com/news/jack-kirby-poster-preview-check-out-these-8-black-light-beauties-available-soon/

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Are these Celestials fighting? If not, what are they?

edit: Oh, bleh. Okay, it's Kirby's NFL. Thanks.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I feel better about life, knowing I live in a world with Jack Kirby's Superpro.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Somewhere an adidas exec is frantically scribbling down notes for next season.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Kirby drew people playing football and his audience saw vivid visions of a celestial ragnarok.

It must suck so hard to be a comic artist who isn't Kirby, with the possible exception of Mœbius .

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

C. Everett Koop posted:

Somewhere an adidas exec is frantically scribbling down notes for next season.

poo poo I see kids wearing clothes that frequently have 3 or four of the colors on them. Like eyebleeding orange shoes and poo poo. The Kirbyfuture is well on its way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rough Lobster posted:

poo poo I see kids wearing clothes that frequently have 3 or four of the colors on them. Like eyebleeding orange shoes and poo poo. The Kirbyfuture is well on its way.

Oh, are the early 90s back?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Those kids ain't poo poo until they learn how emit the Kirby crackle from their fists.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, are the early 90s back?

I guess. I was a little kid in the early 90's so the only clothes I wore was the same outfit as my two younger brothers except in a different color because it was probably easier for my mom. Liking blue was pretty much foisted upon me.

Haven't seen any Zubaz. YET.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone in my first grade class was dressed like this.

With some denim thrown in for good measure.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Breetai posted:

Kirby drew people COSMIC GODS playing football and his audience saw vivid visions of a celestial ragnarok.

FTFY.

It's interesting to compare Kirby's stuff here to Neal Adams's 'Hockey Heroes' (http://www.nealadamsstore.com/Hockey-Heroes_c_56.html).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Parahexavoctal posted:

FTFY.

It's interesting to compare Kirby's stuff here to Neal Adams's 'Hockey Heroes' (http://www.nealadamsstore.com/Hockey-Heroes_c_56.html).

I like Neal Adams a lot but sweet Christmas he does not work well with the modern day coloring style

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Travis343 posted:

I like Neal Adams a lot but sweet Christmas he does not work well with the modern day coloring style

Or modern ideas of plate tectonics

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

prefect posted:

The Choose Your Own Adventure situation that sticks in my mind was you sitting in a car, and then you feel somebody holding a gun up against the back of your neck. They want you to give them something (I don't remember what it was). If you call bullshit, they blow your brains out. If you give them what they want, they split and you find out they didn't have a gun; they were just pressing a metal tube against the back of your neck. :argh:

Not only that, it was actually an intelligent gorilla, if I am remembering correctly.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

Fasdar posted:

Not only that, it was actually an intelligent gorilla, if I am remembering correctly.

How smart could he have been if he couldn't get a real gun?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FutureBoy posted:

How smart could he have been if he couldn't get a real gun?

Smart enough to bluff your rear end.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

flosofl posted:

Smart enough to bluff your rear end.

Pffft, like THAT'S hard!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only one I remember was a Superman one, where there was a point where he got cracked on the head with a lamp, and you had to choose between "fake being knocked out" or "reveal your identity", and I think either way you were hosed.

If you faked being knocked out, Luthor would show you this awesome piece of gold kryptonite he had lying in wait for Superman, and you'd be powerless.

If you revealed your identity, I think Luthor escaped and told everyone who you were and ruined your secret identity life.

It was kind of annoying.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only one I remember was a Superman one, where there was a point where he got cracked on the head with a lamp, and you had to choose between "fake being knocked out" or "reveal your identity", and I think either way you were hosed.

I think we all know what the in-character option is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Spoilers for the end of Groot 004.

Groot has been blown to pieces and a flamethrower is attempting to burn every last one. The lady can subtly change reality.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Not a panel, but worth watching.
Preview of new animated One punch Man.

http://www.mp4upload.com/xnr19lg02oym

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

loving hell yes!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Say Nothing posted:

Hah, of course they used the dream sequence where there's an actual difficult fight as the preview.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The first episode is out, unsubbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlHYkP932yI

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'll have to wait until the fan-sub, since it all sounds like shouty gibberish to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

flosofl posted:

I'll have to wait until the fan-sub, since it all sounds like shouty gibberish to me.

Baka-gaijan (yeah,I don't understand posting a non subtitled link to that either, because if you understood Japanese and cared about bootleg anime, you probably already knew where to find this).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That links been set to Private anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

X-Men 92 008

Cable turning into a gun makes me :3:.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, but that one panel makes him look like hes been psychicing so hard that his nipples are bleeding right through his jacket.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I should have posted the end of the fight.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Uthor posted:

Cable turning into a gun makes me :3:.

It's a gun with a bayonet that barely reaches beyond the barrel! It makes as much sense as the geo-thermal .960 (an energy weapon with a caliber) that Forge once whipped up, again of course in the '90s.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like that Prof's ideal of strength and power is Magneto.
It fits.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like that Prof's ideal of strength and power is Magneto.
It fits.

If you don't know, that's Onslaught.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onslaught_(comics)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know about Onslaught but I prefer Rigged Death Trap's interpretation 100%.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I sometimes hate that comics have a billion and one characters witha a billion and one variants that all simultaneously interact with everyone else.

But nevermind that PSI-BLAAMMMMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

X-Men '92 needs to become an ongoing after SW wraps up, it's too hilariously so-bad-it's good to be a limited series.