Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Huh. Since they were to all-in at the last round anyway, it basically means the entire rest of the game was irrelevant, and Hyunmin was a lock-in win from the start, since of course he'd be the best at scales.

The only reason they all went all-in was because Jinho got eliminated earlier in the game. If there were still 4 players left at the end, everyone would've been more carefully considering their chip totals to avoid last place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Huh. Since they were to all-in at the last round anyway, it basically means the entire rest of the game was irrelevant, and Hyunmin was a lock-in win from the start, since of course he'd be the best at scales.

Nah, if someone had the majority of the garnets they'd be able to win, regardless

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Anyway Hyunmin wasn't that great at scales. The only standout scales player was the guy Dongmin brought.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Subyng posted:

I mean, Dongmin defending his title would be pretty cool if it wasn't for the fact that half the season was the same DongHyunmin steamroll that S3. What happened to "you can't win the same way twice?".

Dongmin did adapt, though, and aligned with the Jinho/Kyungran team pretty strongly in the midseason until they excluded him Seed Poker, at which point he (hilariously) tried working with Jungmoon and Junseok.

If anything Hyunmin has been far less effective at domineering games into a 'choose a loser' scenario this season, and he and Dongmin haven't been a solid pair since Sangmin left. It's not exciting to have them both in the final three again, but they got there via somewhat separate paths this time and definitely are not the same power couple they were in S3.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Tellah posted:

If anything Hyunmin has been far less effective at domineering games into a 'choose a loser' scenario this season, and he and Dongmin haven't been a solid pair since Sangmin left. It's not exciting to have them both in the final three again, but they got there via somewhat separate paths this time and definitely are not the same power couple they were in S3.

Nah weren't they talking about how Hyunmin's Korean nickname is "Sure-Win Bug" once? I think it's a conscious effort on his part, to find other ways to play. It did screw him over in the S3 finals, after all.

This is just speculation, but I think Korean netizens also grew tired of the Min-Min power couple thing. There was that one episode this season where they spontaneously decided to not work with each other anymore, complete with interviews saying things like "Dongmin... hides more information from me than most people realise."

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Nondevor posted:

I hope it's a Hyunmin-Dongmin deathmatch next episode. Dongmin even said he can't win against him in Twelve Janggi, so it's perfect!

If this actually happens, I think it's going to be a much closer match than people expect. One of Dongmin's strengths is that he's very proactive when it comes to preparing for the games, whereas Hyunmin comes across as much more complacent -- going into the penultimate episode with only two possible opponents and one possible death match, Dongmin is going to be ready to play as competitive a game of Twelve Janggi as he possibly can.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If the finals aren't Dongmin vs Kyunghoon to finish off the kingslayer trilogy then I'll be very disappointed.

Grumblesnakes
Aug 25, 2015
As much as I like Hyunmin the other two are far more deserving of a spot in the finals.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I hope the next death match isn't just Twelve Janggi. It can't be that predictable. As much as I would like to see it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
it's the only deathmatch remaining

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Propaganda Machine posted:

it's the only deathmatch remaining

They could just let each elimination candidate choose one previous deathmatch (that they have -not- personally played this season) to be added back to the random pool. Cue surprise sound effect and close-zoom on Hyunmin's shocked face. "Ah, I did not think this was possible"

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Tellah posted:

They could just let each elimination candidate choose one previous deathmatch (that they have -not- personally played this season) to be added back to the random pool. Cue surprise sound effect and close-zoom on Hyunmin's shocked face. "Ah, I did not think this was possible"

They would have said something about that in the beginning. The whole thing with the caged, sealed DMs in S3 and all the DMs being announced ahead of time was for transparency; apparently some critics in Korea were saying that they selected DMs dynamically based on who was going into them to try to control the narrative. If they were going to pull this sort of stunt, they'd say so in week 1.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I really hate the rules of Double Sided Poker

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I really hate the rules of Double Sided Poker

It's somehow worse than objectively shittier games like Quattro. Double-Sided Poker feels so close to being a good game, whereas Quattro seems unredeemable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean, you know your front, you know your opponent's front. So it comes down to "is my hidden number higher or lower than their hidden number". So if you have a weak back card, you fold. Otherwise, you bet and hope you win.

All the fronts do is give you a slightly better way to count cards if you remember them, but they don't show the backsides when somebody folds.

Betting on the backside gives your opponent way too much information, and with the 10 chip penalty, there's no reason *to* do it. The reward is too low.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
Double Sided Poker is more about understanding the value of the 10-chip penalty and having the initiative. Making value bets when you have the initiative and the higher face card (1 chip on both front/back) gives you huge odds no matter what your opponent's back card is, with the only drawback being the potential loss of initiative.

Defensive play requires the person with initiative to either always bet 1 on front/back if they have the higher face card or -more- than 1 on the back if they have the lower face card (to prevent a cheap front/back call from their opponent).

I think there's a lot of depth to the game, but that it's just played very poorly. Neither player in this case had a consistent betting strategy, other than Kyunghoon's late-game decision to abuse the (intentional?) design of the card sleeve.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Tellah posted:

Double Sided Poker is more about understanding the value of the 10-chip penalty and having the initiative. Making value bets when you have the initiative and the higher face card (1 chip on both front/back) gives you huge odds no matter what your opponent's back card is, with the only drawback being the potential loss of initiative.

Defensive play requires the person with initiative to either always bet 1 on front/back if they have the higher face card or -more- than 1 on the back if they have the lower face card (to prevent a cheap front/back call from their opponent).

I think there's a lot of depth to the game, but that it's just played very poorly. Neither player in this case had a consistent betting strategy, other than Kyunghoon's late-game decision to abuse the (intentional?) design of the card sleeve.

No way was that intentional, because the one player couldn't see the shoe at all.

eta- Its a dumb game because its possible to bet both sides with 100% certainty. Like if my card is 8 front 10 back and my opponent is showing a 3 I'm getting 10 chips which is 10% of the total chips in play. You know what would be a more skillful game then this? That chair game from the BTS, I say they make that a deathmatch.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 7, 2015

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah the sleeve just wasn't designed for double sided cards.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zythrst posted:

No way was that intentional, because the one player couldn't see the shoe at all.

Both of them could see it. Tittygod was in the worse position, actually.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Both could see it but you would think if it was intentional they would have put it in an equal position to the both of them to make it fair.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Zythrst posted:

eta- Its a dumb game because its possible to bet both sides with 100% certainty. Like if my card is 8 front 10 back and my opponent is showing a 3 I'm getting 10 chips which is 10% of the total chips in play. You know what would be a more skillful game then this? That chair game from the BTS, I say they make that a deathmatch.

You can't have an 8/10 because its even/odd on each side, and that bet wouldn't be a certainty because there's a 20% chance your opponent has a back 10, it would only be a certainly if your opponent bet on the 3 first, which would be a odd move, considering they'd already know that their 3 loses to your front card.

Even if you have the best possible card (a 9/10 or 10/9) there's always a 20% chance your opponent can pull out a draw, which in a double sided bet is a win for your opponent.

The lowest return of a won double sided bet is winning 13 chips, while a losing one loses you 3 chips, so you only need 1 in 5 to come off to be in profit. Which means if both your cards are greater than their front card, and your back lowest card beats at least one of their potential back cards, you should bet 1/1 double sided. I guess mathematically you could safely bet > 1 depending on how large the chances of your win are but that might make it very obvious what you have.

Betting games are not my forte so that might be slightly off but its along the right lines.

Blue Star Error fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 7, 2015

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

After seeing this thread stick around for a while, I gave this show a try. It's amazing.

quote:

3) Hold it in a country where cultural norms prevent people from acting like complete shitheads.

And this is the most amazing part about it. I can only imagine what a trainwreck it would be with shouting, screaming, and general histrionics.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm sure you could find people like that anywhere, but TV producers over here sure aren't casting them.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

RndmCnflct posted:

And this is the most amazing part about it. I can only imagine what a trainwreck it would be with shouting, screaming, and general histrionics.

There's plenty of that but if you're older than the other person the rudeness of it is all ignored

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I miss the animal eating / corporate downsizing game.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Just caught up on Crime Scene season 2. I thought it will be hard to resist watching The Genius halfway through (was hoping the show ends by the time I'm done with CS) but I forgot all about it by episode 4.
What a great season! Jiyoon deserved all of those trophies and then some :allears:

Also I am very excited to start on The Genius S4 tomorrow :swoon:

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Episode 11 is up.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Unrelated to Ep 11, but has anyone said "Dongmination" yet?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The music at the shogi was killing me.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
This show.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Not done with the episode, but I just finished the main match and I am so excited for Kyunghoon to be going to the finals that I almost don't care who wins the DM.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I got confused like Dongmin did and also thought the numbers would only be ascending. Not sure what the rule was in that case. That DM yay, but :(

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
and so it was written:

the prophecy has come true
chaos versus order
good versus evil
life versus death

will the demon be vanquished from whence he came
or will a shining light triumph over a force never seen before

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Main match was fun. Not really that strategic, but it was relaxing having a bunch of comedians sitting around shooting the poo poo.

That deathmatch! Dongmin is absolutely the best player in the history of the show. He basically looked back at the only loss he ever had and decided, "I'm just going to practice the poo poo out of this until I can beat anyone." I think he would have stomped Kyunghoon at that DM, but he deliberately wanted to face off against Hyunmin to prove something to himself. Goddamn.

Edit: They played so many songs during that DM it felt like I had a movie soundtrack playlist on shuffle. I'm glad they basically showed every move though. Even though I only knew the basic rules and couldn't think strategically nearly as fast as they did, it was still awesome to watch the mind games and constant back and forth.

qbert fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 9, 2015

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
I was able to predict most moves Hyunmin was going to take, but Dongmin's moves were just unpredictable at the right moment. I would've lost faster than Hyunmin because of the constant pressure from Dongmin's maneuvers. I even had the same reaction as Kyunghoon when Dongmin made those moves.

I can't wait for the Tittygod vs Dongmin finals. I can't believe Kyunghoon went from being the first eliminated contestant to being in the finals. He's easily the best person to have around for the another season. Next week can't come fast enough because I'm rooting for him.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol if you arent rooting for the triple kingslay

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dongmin beating Hyunmin at his best game was fantastic but Tittygod better take it all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This.

loving.

Show.

:vince:

:neckbeard:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I feel like as a non-Korean I missed a lot of context to the main match. I also found the rules confusing. It was cute, though.

Spunky Drunken Master vs King Superhuman Finals is pretty hype! Although I am a little worried it's going to be hilariously one-sided...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I feel like as a non-Korean I missed a lot of context to the main match. I also found the rules confusing.

It was kind of a weird main match since it was the best episode ever of The Price is Right.

Death Match was fantastic, oh my god. :swoon: