Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

I heard a rumor a while back that the company that made the ink's for this show's color palette went under and it couldn't be brought back and be the same. Don't know how true that is for color matching, but it's been gone so long now that there isn't a chance to return anyway.

To be fair, it never looked how they wanted it to anyway. Which is probably for the best. Supposedly the 'real' colours would've damaged a lot of sets, and there's some kind of regulation about knowingly broadcasting a show that can do that.

Sash! posted:

Wally and Gus were great characters. Although the first thing that comes to mind when I think of them was Gus yelling "Ya cheap gay bastard! These things are gonna fly right off!" after Wally apparently bought cheap condoms.

I always thought Wally and Gus were a sweeter take on Peter and Raymond. Then I grew up and realized that every affordable apartment building has at least one loudly argumentative gay couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Sash! posted:

As I remember, it had a lot of problems on set and one of the series leads walked away, so it was quietly put out to pasture.

It ended in May 2001. The no fourth season edict would have had to come down way before 9/11

Ahh, okay. I remember it ending in 2001, I just didn't know which half of the year. Granted, I was 13 at the time, but I was still heartbroken when it didn't come back. That was just dumb fun every week.

As for other shows, I'd have to say the one-two punch of The Finder and then Enlisted getting cancelled was pretty tough. To be fair, The Finder would have had a hard time getting through Michael Clarke Duncan's death for the following season, but I think they would have figured out a poignant way of doing it. Enlisted on the other hand was just starting to form some real emotional ties when it was axed, and trying to shop it to other networks/Amazon/Yahoo/etc fell through.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

LOVED that show, and had no idea it was cancelled until after I watched the finale. Remember watching it and getting a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach and googling to find out when the next season started.

I don't think I saw the last season. You could tell the end was nigh though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I refuse to believe I'm the only one who misses The Mole :mad:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, I've been debating posting this because I know it's a generally hated show, but I'm just gonna say it-Sit Down, Shut Up. Yes, some of it's sidecharacters were pretty darn stereotypical and problamatic, but it's an abomination way more offensive shows got way more episodes being way less funny as hell.

Republican Vampire posted:

To be fair, it never looked how they wanted it to anyway. Which is probably for the best. Supposedly the 'real' colours would've damaged a lot of sets, and there's some kind of regulation about knowingly broadcasting a show that can do that.

Wait, what?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lights Out, a fx show about a boxer. Great actors great story, sad it only went a season

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Republican Vampire posted:

Like the colors would have been so bright or vivid it would burn out a CRT? I didn't even know that was possible without leaving a static image on for hours and hours.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, uh, wouldn't it just not quite look right in the worst case scenario?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I heard it from my brother, who says they talk about it on the DVD commentary. I'll borrow his copy and try to track that bit down.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Lights Out, a fx show about a boxer. Great actors great story, sad it only went a season

It actually debuted the quarter after Terriers on F/X - a fairly rough fall/winter for their marketing team.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I almost forgot about that show. It really was a good show and everybody knocked it out of the park.

I know Reg E. Cathey is a serious actor now but I'll always remember him as the guy from MathNet on Square One TV.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

KatWithHands posted:

Man, I used to love this show back when they marathoned it daily on Spike TV. Am I correct in remembering that it just sort of faded away and didn't get renewed following 9/11 and that really awkward question hanging over the writers' heads? It's probably just a coincidence, but I always remember it as that show that got cancelled because there was no way to get around Frank stopping/not stopping 9/11.

They did a bloody good job forecasting it though! The pilot episode featured a terror network crashing a plane into the whitehouse whilst simultaneously taking out the vice president's motorcade. That was in 1998!

I wish they'd kept going, but the plots were getting pretty absurd towards the end. They had ET style aliens, a crazy russian crononaut come from 27 years in the future It was olga's husband... Wat?! and a bunch of other jump shark moments.

That said the interplay between Franks hijinx and Ramsey's straight edge NSA goon persona was well done.

Just wish that Spike or UPN would release them on disc. All I've got are some lovely VHS rips, half of which don't play properly.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, once we've started listing shows like Outsourced, we've officially crossed the line from programs cancelled before their time to "shows I vaguely remember being better than dental surgery."

Granted, I did list it as a joke, which I made pretty clear.

For people who think the show wasn't racist, the main character just made insensitive and stereotypical jokes for the entire show's run. Barely showed any character growth, and most of the show's comedy was based on these racist gags ("What's with those hats?" *points to sikh turban and a woman's hijab*). Of course, all the "Vindaloo makes my tummy hurt jokes" which I think people have heard thousands of times.

What jokes weren't racist? The ones set around the characters. You have one woman so shy she can barely utter a word around others. Jokes about that were funny. Not another "indians pray to cows" joke. Not another "Indian names sound funny" and "Indians are so poor" joke. Growing up at the peak of 9/11 fear has made me hear enough of those racist jokes for a life time. I certainly think the show was highly insensitive to people that were persecuted so much for the past ten years before the show aired.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Growing up at the peak of 9/11 fear has made me hear enough of those racist jokes for a life time. I certainly think the show was highly insensitive to people that were persecuted so much for the past ten years before the show aired.

3000 people died on 9/11. Men and women, cut down in the prime of life. Children forced to grow up without ever knowing their mothers and fathers. Tens of thousands of survivors still suffer from debilitating respiratory diseases as a result of the attacks. And then there's the curry jokes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I miss Almost Human which also got the Firefly treatment (shuffled around and canceled because it was SciFi on Fox).

And definitely both Deadwood and Rome, but those were the old HBO days I suppose.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

KatWithHands posted:

Ahh, okay. I remember it ending in 2001, I just didn't know which half of the year. Granted, I was 13 at the time, but I was still heartbroken when it didn't come back. That was just dumb fun every week.

As for other shows, I'd have to say the one-two punch of The Finder and then Enlisted getting cancelled was pretty tough. To be fair, The Finder would have had a hard time getting through Michael Clarke Duncan's death for the following season, but I think they would have figured out a poignant way of doing it. Enlisted on the other hand was just starting to form some real emotional ties when it was axed, and trying to shop it to other networks/Amazon/Yahoo/etc fell through.

I was gonna do a write up on The Finder too. It was great. Michael Clark Duncan dying was pretty tragic though and it may have been best that the show didn't continue.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Colonial Air Force posted:

I miss Almost Human which also got the Firefly treatment (shuffled around and canceled because it was SciFi on Fox).

To be fair, it also kinda had some bad episodes. But yeah it deserved at least a second season to work the kinks out.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Go On. Another one of Matthew Perry's attempted relevance revivals and I personally loved it. The show was about him mourning his wife's death by joining a support group with other emotionally stunted people. The concept is easy to milk emotion but it did it well, plus the cast was funny and stellar.

The River, which was a found-footage docu-drama on ABC by the Paranormal Activity guy. A mother and son go searching for their missing husband/father in the Amazon who was a nature show host. Cannibals, haunted dolls and zombies show up. Not particularly amazing, but it was something different that was never found on broadcast before. I was genuinely interested in how the plot turned out, so there's that. Too bad it didn't wrap up.

Seconding Kid Nation from a few pages ago. It helps that I was close enough to the age range of the show's cast.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

happyhippy posted:

Utopia
Brilliant mystery show, and when the mystery is finally revealed its left on a sort of cliff hanger that asks more questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcx-nf3kH_M - This opener has no spoilers but shows why its excellent.

Speaking of Channel 4 miniseries cancelled before their time, Ultraviolet deserved a longer run than six episodes.

I've been rewatching the whole thing on youtube over the weekend and it totally holds up. Great writing and performances, particularly Susannah Harker and Philip Quast, not to mention a pre-Wire Idris Elba. One of the best attempts to do "modern" vampire mythology I'm aware of, and which later shows like Being Human were clearly influenced by.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

How do you air the episodes out of order?

Hmm lets play episode 2 before episode 1?

They are marked sequentially aren't they?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fried Watermelon posted:

Networking executives

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Network exec: OH WELL THIS EPISODE HAS MORE ACTION/COMEDY/WHATEVER IDIOT REASON I FEEL LIKE AND WILL DO BETTER RATINGS FOR SWEEPS, WHAT THE gently caress IS A NARRATIVE!!!!!!!! *furiously sucks own dick*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's my understanding a bit part of the reason for the cancellation is that the rights holders to Silents of the Lambs effectively were stonewalling and trying to hold Clarence hostage for more money and that was enough to sink renewal chances.

Before Hannibal started Lifetime got the rights to Clarice and were going to make a series based around her doing non-Hannibal/Silence of the Lambs stuff. It never went anywhere though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Reaper was a fun little show I liked. Unfortunately the final season ended by opening up more questions than it resolved which is always disappointing.

Main character is a slacker working at a home depot knock off, turns out his parents sold his soul to the devil and is tasked with capturing escaped souls from Hell.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fried Watermelon posted:

It was standard practice on all shows before serialization, and still happens constantly today. You only ever notice it in particularly egregious cases (like in Don't Trust the B, where the network was alternating unaired season 1 and brand new season 2 episodes during the second season). Nerds like to complain about Firefly being aired out of order, but I don't think that ever made much of a difference considering that the show was mostly episodic.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Well, Take Happy Endings for instance. If you look at the first season in sequential order, it front loads it with a plot that's frankly garbage: the fallout of Alex leaving Dave at the altar. Dave was basically comedy deadweight, and starting a network sitcom off with a running story that requires a bit of prior knowledge is silly because that turns off viewers who haven't seen the episodes that've aired so far.

So the executives very wisely and correctly moved episodes that highlighted better characters like Jane, Brad and Max closer to the start of the run.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

3000 people died on 9/11. Men and women, cut down in the prime of life. Children forced to grow up without ever knowing their mothers and fathers. Tens of thousands of survivors still suffer from debilitating respiratory diseases as a result of the attacks. And then there's the curry jokes.

Oh boo-hoo, 3000 people died. That's not an excuse to start a war and kill collectively 500,000 US/Afghani/Iraqi soldiers/civilians. Hell, American police have collectively killed 5000 people since 9/11. I see 9/11 simply as a single incident that promoted racial warfare to levels unseen since World War II. Except this time, Muslims are the Jews. And if you were persecuted for having a big nose in 1942, you were certainly persecuted for having brown skin in 2001. I was in 5th grade when 9/11 happened, a year later, a full grown adult beat the poo poo out of me for being a "sandnigger". My own family discovered someone trying to plant a microphone in our house to spy on us. So yes, brown people were persecuted. 9/11 helped create more domestic terrorists in the US as well as a great day for ignorant americans to collectively jerk each other off.

--

On a more relevant note: Moonlight, the show about a vampire detective searching for a cure to his vampirism, was disappointingly cancelled after its first season. It was genuinely interesting, but cancelled because of the 2007 writer's strike.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ravane posted:

On a more relevant note: Moonlight, the show about a vampire detective searching for a cure to his vampirism, was disappointingly cancelled after its first season. It was genuinely interesting, but cancelled because of the 2007 writer's strike.

Was that a remake of Forever Knight ?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Medullah posted:

Was that a remake of Forever Knight ?

It actually sounds quite a bit like it, but I don't think it was intended as a remake.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dead Snoopy posted:

It actually debuted the quarter after Terriers on F/X - a fairly rough fall/winter for their marketing team.

I sadly caught it after it was already canceled, much like I did Terriers, but I couldn't stop watching it. I utterly hate boxing and I couldn't stop watching it.

The boxer, the brother, the trainer, the antagonists... all were so well done. I was blown away.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Dude that sucks, but also you're responding to Irish Joe.

I've seen Outsourced mentioned a few times, I saw the pilot once thought it was racist and moved on. A couple years later in a film class I saw it again, the entire room thought it was loving hilarious and wanted to see more. I just sat there quietly dumbfounded. An Indian guy in my class even went out of his way to defend the show.

It wasn't until I wrote about it in paper that the professor was like "yeah it's pretty offensive."

It was one of the most surreal parts of my college experience.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Daybreak was a pretty good show that should have gotten more than one season. It wrapped up most things in the end but the overarching story never got a chance to really come out.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Star Trek

a cool sci-fi show from the 60s. it was gonna be cancelled after 2 seasons but a fan letter-writing campaign earned it a third season. The third season had a lot of lame episode but a few classics. The network didn't give it enough budget.

Now we will never see Kirk complete his 5 year missiion

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Star Trek

a cool sci-fi show from the 60s. it was gonna be cancelled after 2 seasons but a fan letter-writing campaign earned it a third season. The third season had a lot of lame episode but a few classics. The network didn't give it enough budget.

Now we will never see Kirk complete his 5 year missiion

In that vein, Lost in Space. Will the Robinsons ever get home? Now we'll never know.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

LeafyOrb posted:

It wasn't until I wrote about it [Outsourced] in paper that the professor was like "yeah it's pretty offensive."

Yeah, I watched the entire season when it aired and I'm angry at myself for doing so. It's not even that it's racist...I mean, it is, but the jokes are facile to the point of irrelevance. It didn't even have the courage to be genuinely offensive, so we got a season full of jokes about how Indian food gives you diarrhea or how Hinduism is weird.

Joking that a character's name sounds like "man meat" and that he'll never get women because his name is Man Meat is terrible for so many reasons beyond cultural insensitivity. At least The Office had the awareness to frame Michael's ignorance of foreign cultures as an embarrassing personal flaw. Here, the idiot white protagonist is somehow celebrated as endearing for not knowing what palak paneer is.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Castle Radium posted:

Speaking of Channel 4 miniseries cancelled before their time, Ultraviolet deserved a longer run than six episodes.

I've been rewatching the whole thing on youtube over the weekend and it totally holds up. Great writing and performances, particularly Susannah Harker and Philip Quast, not to mention a pre-Wire Idris Elba. One of the best attempts to do "modern" vampire mythology I'm aware of, and which later shows like Being Human were clearly influenced by.

This is a truly outstanding series. It's very "show don't tell", enhanced by some wonderfully cast actors just killing it. The pregnancy episode in particular is superb, and who doesn't enjoy watching Idris Elba knock about a paedo..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRCZzaOYvE

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All you people who keep posting Sifl & Olly do know that they've been making a webseries for a while now, right? Machinima and Nerdist have produced it but Liam Lynch and Matt Crocco are still running and acting in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XEwooQ6ivg

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's my understanding a bit part of the reason for the cancellation is that the rights holders to Silents of the Lambs effectively were stonewalling and trying to hold Clarence hostage for more money and that was enough to sink renewal chances.

No, this was always the case from the first episode but Bryan Fuller was always fairly open about the fact that if they couldn't get the rights they would just make an original character; at one point he had mused about making his Clarice character transgendered both to mirror the prejudice Clarice Starling faced in the book and film and as a parallel to Buffalo Bill.

The real reason why season 4 never happened is because Amazon was willing to produce it but they wanted to Singer to start on it immediately after season 3 and he had just gotten a sweet deal as showrunner for American Gods on Starz and wanted to work on that instead so he turned them down.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, I'm surprised I'm the 1st person to bring up Frisky Dingo. The show was set for a Edit: 3rd season but Adult Swim decided not to renew for some stupid reason. This also probably explains why, by the end, most of the main cast is killed off and the plot goes completely bananas off the rail.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 8, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I forgot to mention The Critic which had one half season on ABC and another season on Fox. An animated show about film critic Jay Sherman (played by Jon Lovtiz). Some really funny movie parodies and amazing funny gags throughout the show. Grab a copy of the DVD and watch it, you'll love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh man, I'm happy to be the 1st person to bring up Frisky Dingo. The show was set for a 2nd season but Adult Swim decided not to renew for some stupid reason. This also probably explains why, by the end, most of the main cast is killed off and the plot goes completely bananas off the rail.

BOOSH

• Locked thread