Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Uhhhhh, how the gently caress do you complete mission 29 where you have to defeat the Skulls? I even watched a YouTube walkthrough for it and that didn't work for me at all.

D-Walker with an upgraded chaingun tears them apart. Equip the battle dress and a shield to protect yourself, and run away and call in a replacement if it gets destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

also lol money, once you realise that you can just sell off a heap of herbs every once in awhile for like a million gmp and never miss them

Or anything, really. No reason you need more than 1-2 of any vehicle or 10 of every other thing. Just sell it all!!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Nibbles! posted:

Should I just extract every solider I come across until I can properly scan them and let the auto-assign sort it? Should I be dismissing low ranked personal or does the auto-assign automatically remove them?

Pretty much. You can still discriminate some if you know you're going to run out of Fultons, but full staffing is better than nothing, even if they're not great.

All your GZ transfers are automatically on direct contract for where they get placed. So if they've outlived their usefulness and you don't care about keeping them, be sure to turn off any of your contracts on them. Miller will auto-bump the lowest rank in a group to the waiting room. Just go in there every once in a while and cull the masses of crap soldiers.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Just rocket punched a guy climbing a ladder in PvP. All the other FOB bullshit is suddenly worth it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm kinda starting to hate the way this game rates you for time because I did literally everything perfectly but still missed the S rank because I was too slow

Also, mission 30 spoilers: drat that was an intense mission. That gunship was seriously loving with me and I was really worried it would pull a boss fight out of its rear end at the last second, but thankfully it's a 'to be continued' style thing. I'd have been real mad otherwise because getting the S rank like that would have sucked so bad, especially if you can't skip the car ride to Sahelanthropus (I didn't try so I'm not sure).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jumping back into mission 16 popped a question to mind. Anyone know the specifics of how health regen works? I notice it does not seem to happen while running.

In this mission I fulton the truck, run for it while firing rockets at those goofballs while I head for the helicopter. I also tried some bombardment as somebody mentioned. I always end up in the red, it seems to last longer than I've noticed elsewhere in the game. I've tried crawling for a bit, does crawling heal faster than crouch walking?

I'm also wearing a battledress, was wearing the sneaking suit with faster healing earlier.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Uhhhhh, how the gently caress do you complete mission 29 where you have to defeat the Skulls? I even watched a YouTube walkthrough for it and that didn't work for me at all.

Bring battle dress, a rocket launcher (preferably something stronger than the basic GROM), and an assault rifle or LMG. Run around and dive behind stuff to avoid their attacks, fire off a rocket when you can. Try to get one on his own - if he pulls out a gun then run away but if he attacks with his machete you can press the CQC button to counter it and dump on him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

a cop posted:

Just rocket punched a guy climbing a ladder in PvP. All the other FOB bullshit is suddenly worth it.

Is there a range limit on that? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to just hide and rocket punch over and over until you knock out the other player.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Ugato posted:

Pretty much. You can still discriminate some if you know you're going to run out of Fultons, but full staffing is better than nothing, even if they're not great.

All your GZ transfers are automatically on direct contract for where they get placed. So if they've outlived their usefulness and you don't care about keeping them, be sure to turn off any of your contracts on them. Miller will auto-bump the lowest rank in a group to the waiting room. Just go in there every once in a while and cull the masses of crap soldiers.

Ta

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I just finished mission 30 by ramming a tank through everyone

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Someone please please tell me I get to pilot the battle gear it's saying its for combat dispatches wtf thats bullshit

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Dandywalken posted:

Put a big hulking dick-bulge on Quiet and it'd have been the greatest scene of scenes.

this is true and the game would be endlessly praised by kotaku and polygon for breaking down barriers and being progressive

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
also i would be j/oing with even more fervor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Bring battle dress, a rocket launcher (preferably something stronger than the basic GROM), and an assault rifle or LMG. Run around and dive behind stuff to avoid their attacks, fire off a rocket when you can. Try to get one on his own - if he pulls out a gun then run away but if he attacks with his machete you can press the CQC button to counter it and dump on him.

Nah that's lame and making things way harder than they need be. What you should actually do is run past them and head up the stairs to the building that's behind them and a little to the right (it's the main building of the airport). Only one is likely gonna reach you there and you can pretty much pick them off at your leisure. Grizzled Patriarch recommended a shotgun/LMG combo to me when I was having trouble with it, and it works very well because two shotgun hits knock off the armor. The LMG can kill them from full if you start shooting fast enough. Try and do the R2 CQC prompt whenever possible as well. This actually makes the fight a bit of a joke.

RatHat posted:

Is there a range limit on that? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to just hide and rocket punch over and over until you knock out the other player.

Yeah it has a range. It's fairly lenient though, and obviously you can come from any direction with it so it's pretty hard to avoid if you know how to maneuver it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cheesetriangles posted:

Someone please please tell me I get to pilot the battle gear it's saying its for combat dispatches wtf thats bullshit

Nope, it's only for combat dispatches. I get the feeling it was one of the things that got cut or something, because as it stands it's completely pointless.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

RatHat posted:

Yeah it has a cooldown that slowly charges, plus the low FOV- you definitely can't go too nuts with it, but when you connect it owns.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cabinet posted:

I just finished mission 30 by ramming a tank through everyone

I'm just gonna do that when I go for the S rank so I can abuse the time bonus because I got screwed out of it when I did a perfect stealth/no kill run by being too slow.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

They never get referenced as far as I have seen, and I've listened to almost every single tape now.

Kaz' name thing is just kind of bizarre. TPP is the first game to actually use "Benedict" at all - the manual for MGS1 lists it as his middle name, but it doesn't actually appear in the game. Afaik, Kazuhira is his real name, and when he splits with BB he starts calling himself McDonell Benedict Miller for reasons unknown.

TPP doesn't explain it and he's only ever called Kaz, so I have no idea.

Kazuhira is the Japanese word for "Peace" as Kaz explains in Peace Walker. He probably leaves the name behind because after splitting with BB, he's leaving the dream of Peace behind. Meanwhile, Benedict Arnold switched sides after being frustrated and bitter with his nation allying with powers he didn't respect and a failed proposal of self-governance in the colonies, so i assume Kaz uses the name Benedict with more prominence in kind of a symbolic fashion.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Heavy Metal posted:

Jumping back into mission 16 popped a question to mind. Anyone know the specifics of how health regen works? I notice it does not seem to happen while running.

Yeah, you have to be sitting still for health regen, which makes big firefights a lot more tense. There is at least one item that helps speed up recovery, and I *think* the high-ranked Battle Armor does, too. Showering temporarily increases health pool, health regen speed, and reflex timer, but I have no idea how dirty you can get before those bonuses go away.

Under the vegetable posted:

Kazuhira is the Japanese word for "Peace" as Kaz explains in Peace Walker. He probably leaves the name behind because after splitting with BB, he's leaving the dream of Peace behind. Meanwhile, Benedict Arnold switched sides after being frustrated and bitter with his nation allying with powers he didn't respect and a failed proposal of self-governance in the colonies, so i assume Kaz uses the name Benedict with more prominence in kind of a symbolic fashion.

Yeah, that has pretty much been exactly how I've looked at it. And Kojima probably didn't realize anyone would even really notice - iirc he was really surprised to find out that people cared so much about Kaz in the west, and was worried with TPP that nobody would even know who he was.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 8, 2015

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Broken Cog posted:

Nope, it's only for combat dispatches. I get the feeling it was one of the things that got cut or something, because as it stands it's completely pointless.

Kind of the same problem that came out when you had Zeke in Peace Walker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

Kind of the same problem that came out when you had Zeke in Peace Walker.

Nah Zeke was actually a build your own super boss that you could customize to make harder or easier. With all of the AI boards, it was the hardest boss in the game.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Yeah, you have to be sitting still for health regen, which makes big firefights a lot more tense. There is at least one item that helps speed up recovery, and I *think* the high-ranked Battle Armor does, too. Showering temporarily increases health pool, health regen speed, and reflex timer, but I have no idea how dirty you can get before those bonuses go away.

I think the cardboard box also helps speed up regeneration. I've only tried it once.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

ahahahahahha

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The way checkpoints in MGS5 works actually makes perfect sense. If you die, going back a few minutes would not help you. This is not the game being harsh like a lot of people are interpreting it to be, it is that a generous check point system would throw you into unwinnable situations and would be just as frustrating.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You should be able to manually save but have doing that lock you out of an S rank

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Under the vegetable posted:

this is true and the game would be endlessly praised by kotaku and polygon for breaking down barriers and being progressive

It would actually be a fun little scene if it weren't for quiet being blatant sexual object for the entire game. She even spends 30 seconds rolling around and stripping. You should be ashamed of your words and deeds, Kojima.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
He's definitely complaining about Backup, Back Down since there's 0 checkpoints through the entire thing, even for the bonus vehicles, but that missions so loving easy if you don't go for captures lmao

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I said come in! posted:

The way checkpoints in MGS5 works actually makes perfect sense. If you die, going back a few minutes would not help you. This is not the game being harsh like a lot of people are interpreting it to be, it is that a generous check point system would throw you into unwinnable situations and would be just as frustrating.

Yeah, there have been a few times where I have cursed the heavens for sending me all the way back to the beginning of the mission, but I would be even more pissed if I got to the end of Mission 16 and it made a checkpoint while the truck was on fire or something like that.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/640956209131057152

BabyRage

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I said come in! posted:

I love the game, and I disagree with that guy's extreme opinion on uninstalling. But, I do think the checkpoints have some issues. For example mission 16. The first time I kept encountering the skulls, my checkpoint was me near the end of the travel route, where I was looking for the truck. From this checkpoint I run to the middle of the road where the skulls emerge, tranqing some people along the way, and retry my skulls fight. Over and over, no checkpoint. So much traveling time, at least 10 minutes.

Now I retried the mission, and I got lucky here, because I am encountering the truck with the skull when they stopped at a base in the middle of the route. Approaching this base triggered a checkpoint, so now I have a checkpoint right before the skulls. So I can keep retrying this boss fight.

I loved how in the old MGS games, anytime you die in a boss or tricky situation, you restart right there. I didn't mind fighting The Boss maybe twenty times before winning, it felt fun. If I had to replay 10 minutes before each time I retried fighting The Boss in MGS3, it would feel less fun to me.

There should be more checkpoints I'd say, especially before abnormal or tougher than usual parts. The restart mission option is always there for those who want it, so you can't really have too many checkpoints. The game is really really hard and time consuming sometimes because of the incredibly sparse use of checkpoints.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You should be able to manually save but have doing that lock you out of an S rank

That would be a good option, I like it, but the game really should be more intelligent with having safe checkpoints every now and then. It isn't like guards are constantly flying around the map. The people who get hosed over the most are the ones who spend like 1 hour perfectly infiltrating a base until that one mishap that ruins all your work. an intelligent checkpoint system that scans enemy placement/how hidden you are/etc. and determines you're in a good enough position to get a checkpoint every couple of minutes would be ideal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

steakmancer posted:

He's definitely complaining about Backup, Back Down since there's 0 checkpoints through the entire thing, even for the bonus vehicles, but that missions so loving easy if you don't go for captures lmao

Yeah I hosed around doing stuff and hunting captures and died quite a bit doing that, but if I just rode through with D-horse and a rocket launcher and did it normally it isn't any big deal at all.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you can force a checkpoint by doing almost anything in the mother base menu

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mission 21: I tried SO HARD to extract the truck with both the Arms Dealer and the target still inside. But after multiple attempts I just couldn't get the cards to land right so finally I just made them get out and extract them individually. Boooring. Still got an S rank though haha

Mission 22: The concept is SO COOL but why the gently caress did it only give you one try and then boot you back to the other mission? I can do it again now, but it seems dumb, and totally ruined the momentum. I mean sure it's my fault that I died but still I dunno why it couldn't just work like any other mission in that respect.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

scary ghost dog posted:

you can force a checkpoint by doing almost anything in the mother base menu
Not true. Seeing that save icon messing around in the menu doesn't mean you continue from there when you die. It'll remember about the weapon development you just started etc, but you'll still respawn back where you were 10 minutes ago.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 8, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Mission 21: I tried SO HARD to extract the truck with both the Arms Dealer and the target still inside. But after multiple attempts I just couldn't get the cards to land right so finally I just made them get out and extract them individually. Boooring. Still got an S rank though haha

Mission 22: The concept is SO COOL but why the gently caress did it only give you one try and then boot you back to the other mission? I can do it again now, but it seems dumb, and totally ruined the momentum. I mean sure it's my fault that I died but still I dunno why it couldn't just work like any other mission in that respect.

Mission 22: Because it's basically a tutorial to multiplayer, I think?

Yeah, that has pretty much been exactly how I've looked at it. And Kojima probably didn't realize anyone would even really notice - iirc he was really surprised to find out that people cared so much about Kaz in the west, and was worried with TPP that nobody would even know who he was.

The only reason I give a poo poo about him is because that's who liquid was pretending to be in MGS1.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Heavy Metal posted:

Not true. Seeing that save icon messing around in the menu doesn't mean you continue from there when you die.

But it saves the world state, I believe.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if it'll save the number of guys you've taken out. So if you save somewhere halfway through a mission but then do die, and have to start at the "beginning" of a base, you can head back in but everyone you've already killed/tranqued/fultoned will still be gone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Mission 22: Because it's basically a tutorial to multiplayer, I think?

Yeah pretty much

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

But, but it saves the world state, I believe.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if it'll save the number of guys you've taken out. So if you save somewhere halfway through a mission but then do die, and have to start at the "beginning" of a base, you can head back in but everyone you've already killed/tranqued/fultoned will still be gone.
It doesn't. Not enemies taken out anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
drat.

I was just thinking about it too, since I had my first "spend 20 minutes stealthing a base *DEAD*" moment.

• Locked thread