Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I had an Accelero Something back in the mists of time, and it was great. Do you know how hard it is to remove the custom thermal pads if I change my fickle, fickle mind about it?

I've heard the Arctic Silver stuff is good. I used specialty thermal tape for mine though as I didn't want to leave any residue on the chips. This actually reminded me that I got 2 twin turbo IIs for $30 awhile back and had completely forgot about them.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I still have my 4850 with an Accelero S1. 100% passive and never got higher than mid-60s C even in the summer under load. The only downside is that it doesn't fit into anything much smaller than a P180 and really isn't worth much of anything to anyone anymore. So.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

B-Mac posted:

Does anyone have experience using the sapphire trixx OC utility? I have a sapphire 7970 GHZ and set the core to 1100 mhz and the Memory to 1525 mhz but in monitoring software it still shows clock stocks for the card of 950/1425. Would a different program work or am I just SOL. Running 15.8 beta drivers and trixx 5.0. The custom fan profile works just fine.

I used it way back on my old 6970 card and don't recall having issues getting clocks to stick - here's an older Anand guide that has some good info: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8589/anandtech-guide-to-video-card-overclocking-software/3

I'd check that your clocks are actually applying/saving, turn off ULPS, and confirm everything is set to keep the OC settings at startup. Have you done a driver reinstall lately? Tested any other OC tools like Afterburner to see if the clock issue still happens?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I read the last 20 pages or so and now I can't decide what the gently caress I want to do. I'm building a new pc to replace my 7 year old one and I was going with a 980 Ti for 1440p gaming with potential for an Oculus Rift down the road playing Elite Dangerous and the like, but since you guys say the 980 Ti will be awful for VR... I play games on a 1080p LCD atm with a GTX 660, should I just get a 970 for now, stick with 1080p, and wait a year or whatever until the new stuff comes out?

I already hit up the pc building thread for general advice, but I figured this would be more for this thread.

Also, regarding the 980 Ti, is there any real difference among the Gigabyte G1, Asus Strix and MSI Twin Frozr insofar as cooling performance and overclocking capability or is it all just cosmetic?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
We are in an awkward spot indeed for recommendations. Its not like I can whole heartily recommend an AMD equivalent (...) to the 980ti, but I'm eager to see some solid DX12 testing of them before really saying much from this point on. Also, the possible VR specific issue with nvidia could be its own mini disaster.

I dont know what to tell you, sorry :(

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Ozz81 posted:

I used it way back on my old 6970 card and don't recall having issues getting clocks to stick - here's an older Anand guide that has some good info: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8589/anandtech-guide-to-video-card-overclocking-software/3

I'd check that your clocks are actually applying/saving, turn off ULPS, and confirm everything is set to keep the OC settings at startup. Have you done a driver reinstall lately? Tested any other OC tools like Afterburner to see if the clock issue still happens?

I actually have the 7970 OC w boost and it has 2 bios on the physical card itself to switch between. I swapped it from 1 to 2 and now the OC settings stick. Kinda odd it wouldn't work in bios 1. This thing hasn't been over clocked for the past 1.5 years I've had it haha.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

B-Mac posted:

I actually have the 7970 OC w boost and it has 2 bios on the physical card itself to switch between. I swapped it from 1 to 2 and now the OC settings stick. Kinda odd it wouldn't work in bios 1. This thing hasn't been over clocked for the past 1.5 years I've had it haha.

Aha, was gonna ask about that too - definitely weird, I had a Sapphire dual BIOS card too but it OC'd on both. The OC BIOS just had timings and voltages tweaked slightly to push a little higher. Glad you got things working though :)

Ambaire posted:

I read the last 20 pages or so and now I can't decide what the gently caress I want to do. I'm building a new pc to replace my 7 year old one and I was going with a 980 Ti for 1440p gaming with potential for an Oculus Rift down the road playing Elite Dangerous and the like, but since you guys say the 980 Ti will be awful for VR... I play games on a 1080p LCD atm with a GTX 660, should I just get a 970 for now, stick with 1080p, and wait a year or whatever until the new stuff comes out?

I already hit up the pc building thread for general advice, but I figured this would be more for this thread.

Also, regarding the 980 Ti, is there any real difference among the Gigabyte G1, Asus Strix and MSI Twin Frozr insofar as cooling performance and overclocking capability or is it all just cosmetic?

Personally I'd go for a 970 for now, then upgrade to a 980/Ti card later - some companies have a step up/trade back program where they give credit towards a new card based on your old one (EVGA does this especially). You could probably get away with a 970 now and either re-sell it later towards a 980 card or buy another 970 and SLI.

As for the 980Ti variants, it's different per manufacturer - anything from custom PCBs, to better quality chips on board for voltage regulation, you name it. Most folks here recommend EVGA, MSI, or ASUS cards since they tend to lean towards better overall quality and rarely have major defects/problems.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 8, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

midge posted:

I'm considering selling a friend my R9 280x for his gaming machine. What's my next step up here? With all this DX12 hoo-ha I've no idea what I should be looking at. 1080 gaming with max settings, looking to upgrade monitor in about a year.

I assume that since you're selling your 280X you're looking to upgrade to something more powerful? Right now the 280 is still definitely the sweet spot in price-to-performance assuming it's fast enough for you. You can pick up a refurb 7950 (the card the 280 is rebadged from) for like $120. My 280 will actually even do 4K surprisingly well - I play 4K Titanfall at low-medium, 4K TF2 (don't laugh, it may be a Source game from 8 years ago but it's optimized like poo poo) at highquality at 120fps, and Mad Max has been doing fine at 4K with Very High settings. Most games aren't going to run ultra settings SSAA but I've been very impressed with how well it's done 4K. If you tweak your settings I think the 280X is probably still pretty OK for 1080p.

If you want something more future-proof, GCN supposedly kicks rear end at DX12. Huge YMMV on that, since we haven't seen more than a couple early benchmarks, but that's the gossip at least. The 290X and 390 are decent buys. The 285/380 (Tonga) are a bit weaker than Hawaii but have a newer architecture that's lower power and has some more advanced stuff in it. Fury is Tonga's architecture with more cores than a 290X - it's between a 980 and a 980 Ti at a slightly worse price-to-performance (IMO). 295x2 is still a brute of a card, somewhat more faster than Fury if your game supports Crossfire and you can spare the wattage.

Honestly despite all the hilarious kerfluffle, right now the 970 or 980 are still fantastic cards as long as you're not buying with DX12 and VR in mind. You can get an EVGA B-stock 980 for $360 or a 970 for $280. It's a biased comparison since I'm pricing B-stock cards against new cards, but at that price the NVIDIAs are the better deal. Pascal and Arctic Islands are going to be a major leap forward anyway due to the switch from 28nm to 16nm process, so it's not the world's best time to be future-proofing with a high end card. And for right now NVIDIA's DX11 drivers are crazy fast, you get Gsync capability, etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 9, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
And more proof that graphics quality is extremely subjective. I have a 980ti and I wish I had more oomph at 1440p much less 4k...

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Honestly if you're at all concerned about performance but care about DX12, VR and the next generation more, the 280, 290, 970 and 980 are all good price/perf right now that won't hit your wallet hard. 980ti if you don't give a poo poo about Pascal or just have money to blow. 750ti for pinless setups and entry 1080p.

The 950 and 960 aren't great deals and are incremental enough over Kepler or the 200 series that it's better to weight unless you need it now. Anything AMD below the performance of a 380 is not worth recommending unless it's an exceptional deal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ambaire posted:

You have two solid options, as I see it:

(1) Get the 980Ti anyhow and crush 1440p. If the VR/DX12 "catastrophe" turns out to be as bad as some people think it might be, in 12-18 months when either VR or DX12 actually means anything you sell the 980Ti for $300 and pick up whatever looks like a good deal at the time. Pro: you get to enjoy top-end performance on everything you can actually play for the next year or two. Con: Might not be the best long-term financial decision.

(2) Get a used 980 for ~$360, do pretty well at 1440p, and in 12-18 months when either VR or DX12 actually means anything you sell the 980 for $250 and pick up whatever looks like a good deal at the time. Pro: Minimal "lost" money if you need to trade up. Con: Not as fast as the 980Ti.

Worrying about what to buy right now in terms of what won't be relevant for another year+ is kinda silly. The whole "ZOMG NVidia DX12 SUX!" may not even work out as terribly as some predict--or maybe it will. No one knows. But even with the DX12 speed improvements, it's unlikely that anything below a 2(3)90X will be likely to push 1440p at 60+ FPS at high/ultra settings on AAA titles in a year. Oh, and in the meantime everything from AMD gets crushed by their price-point equivalent NVidia cards (and their used options aren't particularly appealing right now), so you'd basically be hobbling yourself now for possible theoretical improvements later.

tl;dr if you want a card that's great at DX12/VR, wait until the next gen from both red and green team drops before you plunk down all your cash.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I just noticed the thread title change -- :golfclap:

The OP(s) are out-of-date (at least recommendation-wise) I think -- if anyone is interested in rebooting, shoot me a PM. I think Alereon / SWSP are cool with that (and this is gold so it should be able to live on in the Goldmine :ninja:)

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

EVGA has the 980 Superclocks back in stock.

e: bought one since my 7870 died last week.

baram. fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 9, 2015

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
B-Stock EVGA GTX 980 in stock again

http://www.evga.com/products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

BurritoJustice posted:

r/advancedmicrodevices is the current one.
actually it's /r/ayymd

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I assume that since you're selling your 280X you're looking to upgrade to something more powerful? Right now the 280 is still definitely the sweet spot in price-to-performance assuming it's fast enough for you. You can pick up a refurb 7950 (the card the 280 is rebadged from) for like $120. My 280 will actually even do 4K surprisingly well - I play 4K Titanfall at low-medium, 4K TF2 (don't laugh, it may be a Source game from 8 years ago but it's optimized like poo poo) at highquality at 120fps, and Mad Max has been doing fine at 4K with Very High settings. Most games aren't going to run ultra settings SSAA but I've been very impressed with how well it's done 4K. If you tweak your settings I think the 280X is probably still pretty OK for 1080p.

If you want something more future-proof, GCN supposedly kicks rear end at DX12. Huge YMMV on that, since we haven't seen more than a couple early benchmarks, but that's the gossip at least. The 290X and 390 are decent buys. The 285/380 (Tonga) are a bit weaker than Hawaii but have a newer architecture that's lower power and has some more advanced stuff in it. Fury is Tonga's architecture with more cores than a 290X - it's between a 980 and a 980 Ti at a slightly worse price-to-performance (IMO). 295x2 is still a brute of a card, somewhat more faster than Fury if your game supports Crossfire and you can spare the wattage.

Honestly despite all the hilarious kerfluffle, right now the 970 or 980 are still fantastic cards as long as you're not buying with DX12 and VR in mind. You can get an EVGA B-stock 980 for $360 or a 970 for $280. It's a biased comparison since I'm pricing B-stock cards against new cards, but at that price the NVIDIAs are the better deal. Pascal and Arctic Islands are going to be a major leap forward anyway due to the switch from 28nm to 16nm process, so it's not the world's best time to be future-proofing with a high end card. And for right now NVIDIA's DX11 drivers are crazy fast, you get Gsync capability, etc.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I'm looking for something with more ommph. I play ARK a lot and it runs like poo poo (~30fps with medium settings @ 1080). I know it's a bad example, but I really enjoy some early access titles, and they tend to run like garbage. I just figured throwing more power at them will at least give me the 60fps I'm looking for. As you've noted, Mad Max plays just fine (60fps) at almost maximum settings at 1080, but I consider it at the opposite side of the scale in terms of development/optimization. FYI, CPU is i7-4790K

That bstock link is great, after conversion to CAD and shipping it's 554.94CAD. Retail here is $770.64CAD all in, but I'm worried I'll get stung with tax/customs.

midge fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 9, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

For all the recent "what should I buy!?!?" people, the answer is this. Buy this ^^^. Buy the poo poo out of it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

midge posted:

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I'm looking for something with more ommph. I play ARK a lot and it runs like poo poo (~30fps with medium settings @ 1080). I know it's a bad example, but I really enjoy some early access titles, and they tend to run like garbage. I just figured throwing more power at them will at least give me the 60fps I'm looking for. As you've noted, Mad Max plays just fine (60fps) at almost maximum settings at 1080, but I consider it at the opposite side of the scale in terms of development/optimization. FYI, CPU is i7-4790K

That bstock link is great, after conversion to CAD and shipping it's 554.94CAD. Retail here is $770.64CAD all in, but I'm worried I'll get stung with tax/customs.

Arkham Knight isn't an "early access title," it's a title so poorly optimized that they literally stopped selling it out of embarrassment. Seriously, it the port is so bad that you have to edit a settings file to let the engine exceed 30 fps. So, incidentally, make sure you've done that before you mark up the ~30fps performance to needing new hardware. I mean, it still runs like poo poo compared to most other games, but a 970 should get you about 60-70fps at 1080p with most things maxed out.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 9, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Edit: ^^^^^ Midge is talking about ARK: Survival Evolved, not Arkham. Note that Midge mentioned he was playing a lot of Early Access titles. Unless I'm really confused. If you google 'ARK', it's the first and only result for the entire page.

DrDork posted:

For all the recent "what should I buy!?!?" people, the answer is this. Buy this ^^^. Buy the poo poo out of it.

My only concern for something like that is the limited 1 year warranty. But then I'd probably be upgrading to Pascal around the time the warranty expired so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And it's about the same price as a 970 so... just waiting on my new credit card to buy system components. About how often do they get B-stock 980s in?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 9, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ambaire posted:

My only concern for something like that is the limited 1 year warranty. But then I'd probably be upgrading to Pascal around the time the warranty expired so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And it's about the same price as a 970 so... just waiting on my new credit card to buy system components. About how often do they get B-stock 980s in?

The entire point of buying the 980 would be as a stop-gap until the next gen or two to see how the whole DX12 thing shakes out. In that sense, a 1yr warranty is enough to get you through, and quite frankly (like with most consumer electronics) your highest rate of mortality is in the first few weeks--assuming it doesn't die straight off, chances are real good it'll last you a decent amount of time (several years).

EVGA seems to get them in roughly once every 7-10 days, if the last month has been anything to go by. You can also consider a similarly priced used card off Amazon: availability is much better, and several companies warranty purely off the production date and sticker (MSI, for example), so if you bought one of those, you'd end up effectively getting the remainder of MSI's 3 year warranty. And since the 980 only released a year ago, that means you have at minimum 2 years left, so you end up with a BETTER warranty than EVGA's. Downside is of course dealing with the hassle of potentially getting some piece of half-broke junk that someone thought they could pawn off--Amazon is really good about contesting that sort of thing, and I haven't actually heard of it happening much at all (I've bought my last 3 cards used off Amazon with no issue), but I suppose it's possible. And I guess the card will probably be dusty, vice EVGA's factory cleaned/conditioned ones. Something to consider, at least.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 9, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Goddamnit, sold out while confirming checkout!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

tl;dr if you want a card that's great at DX12/VR, wait until the next gen from both red and green team drops before you plunk down all your cash.

Could you imagine if Pascal is somehow poo poo at VR. What's the actual issue with Kepler/Maxwell, the async stuff or something unrelated?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

Could you imagine if Pascal is somehow poo poo at VR. What's the actual issue with Kepler/Maxwell, the async stuff or something unrelated?

Not emptyquoting, Paul did all the typing already.

Paul MaudDib posted:

On my phone and cant search aroumd, but there's a recent Tech Report Podcast out that hits on this topic in like the last 5-10 minutes. David Kanter says that with Maxwell, the fact that NVIDIA removed the onboard scheduler hardware was a significant component of the power efficiency gains. How they're emulating it is that the card sends the request to the CPU, which does the scheduling and re-dispatches back to the CPU. That's why it's so slow, and that obviously makes it garbage for low-latency VR stuff (which he noted that the VR people said was "catastrophically bad" on NVIDIA hardware).

That's also why we haven't seen a Maxwell GPGPU compute card yet - compute workloads are very unpredictable in terms of scheduling, and Maxwell isn't suited for that.

So it sounds like they could potentially unlock async compute on Kepler, if they wanted to undermine their Quadro line somewhat. But I don't see how you can fix the problem on Maxwell if that's the case.

Paul MaudDib posted:

At a real PC again. Here's the link to that Tech Report with David Kanter on VR and async shading/compute with Maxwell.

For context, this "async compute" and "async shading" stuff is basically mixing compute into your GPU workload rather than just having a straight-through graphics pipeline. In the grim cyberfuture of 2016, a graphics pipeline will look more and more like a compute workload, which is fine, there's performance gains to be had by doing that - as long as the hardware supports it.

Correct. "Possibly catastrophic" were the exact words the Oculus people used, according to Kanter.

Guess you'll just have to hand NVIDIA another wad for Pascal :unsmigghh:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ok nerds i'm building my mini itx system for 1440p :pcgaming: and want to know whether a fury nano or gtx 980 ti is worth the cash

I was looking at the 970 mini itx from ASUS but is it enough to withstand the cyberhellscape that is 2560x1440?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Maybe the compute issue is why Nvidia is also dragging their feet on Fermi, it'd be kinda funny to watch a GTX480/580 get within 10% of Maxwell with DX12.

Malcolm XML posted:

ok nerds i'm building my mini itx system for 1440p :pcgaming: and want to know whether a fury nano or gtx 980 ti is worth the cash

I was looking at the 970 mini itx from ASUS but is it enough to withstand the cyberhellscape that is 2560x1440?

Do not get a Fury, a 980ti is better if you're looking at that price point. A 980ti will rock everything in 1440p right now.

A 970 can drive 1440p (my 290X does it pretty well), but that's entirely dependent on what you're playing and if you're willing to tone the settings down to high, not ultra. If you really want to drive 1440p extremely well, the next generation of GPUs will do so with aplomb.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 9, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Quote is not edit.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Ambaire posted:

If you have a credit card check the benefits it offers.. I think extended warranties is pretty standard for this type of thing now. I have a Mastercard that doubles any warranty <a year and adds another year if >=1 year warranty.

Like a previous poster said they seem to come in stock every 1-2 weeks.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Malcolm XML posted:

Im very happy with my moderately OC'd 980ti and 1440p with modern titles. Based on benchmarks, I would be less happy with a Fury X, and dramatically less happy with a Fury Nano, at the same price point. If you can fit a full size card into your case the Fury Nano loses all its appeal entirely.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Sort of an odd question, my build on pcpartpicker is telling me I'm sitting pretty on 369W at it's "max" load according to the parts. If I bring my 980's power draw up to 125%, it should draw at least 230W on its own. My question is whether or not a 550W PSU would be able to power an OC'd 980 and the rest of my system safely.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Sort of an odd question, my build on pcpartpicker is telling me I'm sitting pretty on 369W at it's "max" load according to the parts. If I bring my 980's power draw up to 125%, it should draw at least 230W on its own. My question is whether or not a 550W PSU would be able to power an OC'd 980 and the rest of my system safely.

What cpu? If its modern Intel, 550 watts is more than fine. There might be a few edge cases with certain AMD cpus where you could theoretically get a 370 watt system draw without a GPU but even thats pushing the limits of reality

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Yeah, a 550W supply is plenty, it's also plenty for an OCed 980 Ti. You really only start needing more for dual card or maybe OCed LGA2011-3 or AMD stuff.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My OC'd 980Ti happily drew >400W, just sayin :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Yes, a 4790k and titan x ran fine on my 550w platinum. Pulled 500w from the wall so around a 400- 450w load on the psu.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The Verge had kind of a fun post today about box art on old graphics cards. I remember wondering why the graphics on the box always looked worse than what the card could actually produce.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

My OC'd 980Ti happily drew >400W, just sayin :v:

The entire system maybe... but a 980ti can't pull that much without a custom BIOS for overvolting.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Space Racist posted:

The Verge had kind of a fun post today about box art on old graphics cards. I remember wondering why the graphics on the box always looked worse than what the card could actually produce.

:) nostalgia

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

The entire system maybe... but a 980ti can't pull that much without a custom BIOS for overvolting.

Yes, I flashed another bios onto it. Just saying it's totally possible if you get down to it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

Yes, I flashed another bios onto it. Just saying it's totally possible if you get down to it.

Did you gain anything from this? I have a buttload of extra wattage and I've bios flashed plenty in the past but haven't really looked into this gen much

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BurritoJustice posted:

TPU really does make the best GPU reviews in the business so it is a loving baffling choice by AMD. Even on AMD's subreddit, the largest remaining bastion of fanatical AMD fans, there is unilateral hatred towards this move from AMD.

One of the top threads on /r/AMD is someone saying how happy they are their cpu is stable at stock speeds

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3k4ukt/x_post_from_rpcmasterrace_its_stable_9590_fx/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

One of the top threads on /r/AMD is someone saying how happy they are their cpu is stable at stock speeds

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3k4ukt/x_post_from_rpcmasterrace_its_stable_9590_fx/
I don't get why some people seem unable to understand that some products are simply objectively bad, and in some cases there is no way to cut the price by enough to make up for how simply bad they are. Like AMD FX-series CPUs.