Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any problem with putting some chicken breasts and marinade in a foil pouch and then just throwing the pouch loose in a small slow cooker?

I'm making sure nothing is going to catch on fire or create a singularity or something. It's far easier to clean up for me this way.

Other than putting chicken breasts in a slow cooker (stop doing that) you're not going to hurt anything. A slow cooker isn't going to get hot enough to burn aluminum foil (it would probably need to be what, 400-500 degrees like burning paper?) unless it's malfunctioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any problem with putting some chicken breasts and marinade in a foil pouch and then just throwing the pouch loose in a small slow cooker?

I'm making sure nothing is going to catch on fire or create a singularity or something. It's far easier to clean up for me this way.

Are you thinking of throwing a foil packet in the slow cooker and wandering off for a few hours? It wouldn't really be a problem but it's quite likely to end up bad.

A slow cooker can do only one thing which is braise. A chicken breast, or any other cut that has little to no fat and little to no connective tissue will not fare well in a slow cooker and no marinade or packet is going to help that. The meat would most likely end up tough, dry and possibly with an aluminium taste from being in the foil. If the thought of cleaning one more pan is still anathema and you want to do the foil packet thing (En papillote in cooking terms) your oven is a better heat source.

If you're wedded to using a slow cooker, look for recipes using things like chicken thighs. But don't expect to not be cleaning pans.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Time to ask this question again. Any good food/cooking videos or blogs that you would recommend?

Everything that Maangchi does owns if you're into Korean food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sX_wDCbeuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0smDhdzqXu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSh6VJYRV-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbmZjvjavaU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I can barely cook for myself. I would like assistance with something.

I make Macaroni and Cheese for myself in an extremely basic way. I boil the water, dump in the macaroni, drain when done, dump in a bunch of cheddar cheese, add some milk, and let it simmer a bit before serving. It is tasty as gently caress and I am happy with it... mostly.

The problem is that the cheese tends to stick to the spoons I use to stir/serve it more than it does to the pasta itself. I'm reluctant to change the recipe as it would change the taste which is perfect to me. Is there a way to change this super basic Macaroni and Cheese recipe so that the cheese sticks to the pasta more?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

Best you can do without learning to make a roux.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, I would say to learn to make a mornay, but if boil water + dump in cheese is at the upper limit of your skills, the idea of making a roux is probably going to be terrifying. Try Kraft Dinner.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

...I wanna learn to make a roux.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

rj54x posted:

Yeah, I would say to learn to make a mornay, but if boil water + dump in cheese is at the upper limit of your skills, the idea of making a roux is probably going to be terrifying. Try Kraft Dinner.

Kraft is made with Velveeta.

Velveeta is a crime against humanity.

I may not be a good cook but god drat I will burn in hell before I cook with garbage processed cheese.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

khy posted:

I may not be a good cook but god drat I will burn in hell before I cook with garbage processed cheese.

but most cheese these days is...

nevermind.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

At the moment you're breaking your cheese which is the biggest problem. You could also resolve your issue by throwing in some Velveeta with your cheddar (I believe they use sodium phosphate) which will have the same result as the sodium citrate in the modernist article. Some older grandma recipes even have tossing a slice of a Kraft single for the same result.

/e- Also processed cheese can be amazing. Nothing like a grilled cheese with a kraft single.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 9, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

BattleCattle posted:

but most cheese these days is...

I know, and it makes me so sad. When I go out to eat and see someone eating Nachos covered with that stuff it almost makes me want to cry.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

khy posted:

So is dumping a bunch of shredded cheddar and milk on top of macaroni and calling it macaroni and cheese, but I wasn't going to judge.

If you want to learn how to make a proper mac & cheese:

Cook 1# macaroni, drain, set aside.
Add 2 tbs. butter to a pan. Melt.
Add 2 tbs flour to the butter, gradually, while whisking. Continue cooking over low heat until smooth and a light beige color. (This is a light roux).
Gradually add in about 2 cups of (warm!) milk. Continue stirring while adding milk.
Let this cook for a little bit until the roux has thickened the milk. Begin stirring in some cheese, at least a pound and up to two depending on how creamy you like it. I like a 50/50 mixture of gruyere and cheddar.
Mix the macaroni and the cheese sauce together. Season with a bit of salt, pepper, and dry mustard. I like a pinch of cayenne, too. If you want to add other ingredients, here's where you do it - caramelized onions, jalapenos, bacon, whatever tickles your pickle. You can eat at this point for a stove-top style mac like what you're used to. If you want to classy that poo poo up a bit, dump it into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Top with bread crumbs. Bake @350F until the top is crispy.

Sodium citrate shenanigans aside, this is pretty much the canonical way to make a classic mac & cheese.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just toss in some kraft singles or velveeta before you add your cheddar.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Just put two teaspoons of cornstarch into the milk before you add the cheese and whisk it smooth before you add the macaroni.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

That Works posted:

Reminds me I was meaning to ask about harissa. I got a big batch of it that a friend made and split with me and I don't really know what recipes feature it prominently / would be good for its use (apart from the goat you just mentioned). It's an ingredient / style I've never used and is fairly out of my comfort zone.

For an easy, delicious, and healthy way to use harissa, take whatever vegetables you like/have lingering in the cupboard (broccoli, onion, cubed sweet potato, courgette, whatever), rub them with harissa and then shove them in the oven on about 180-200°C for 20 minutes - half an hour. Make up some cous cous with a bit of whatever seasoning takes your fancy and whack the veggies on top. Super easy and rather tasty!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah just toss in some kraft singles or velveeta before you add your cheddar.

Mom used to make macaroni and cheese with two whole slices of singles (serves 4). poo poo barely came out yellow-tinged. :(

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Just put two teaspoons of cornstarch into the milk before you add the cheese and whisk it smooth before you add the macaroni.

If you do this, stir the cornstarch into cold milk, otherwise it'll be clumpy.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

rj54x posted:

So is dumping a bunch of shredded cheddar and milk on top of macaroni and calling it macaroni and cheese, but I wasn't going to judge.

Add 2 tbs flour to the butter, gradually, while whisking. Continue cooking over low heat until smooth and a light beige color. (This is a light roux).
Gradually add in about 2 cups of (warm!) milk. Continue stirring while adding milk.
Let this cook for a little bit until the roux has thickened the milk. Begin stirring in some cheese, at least a pound and up to two depending on how creamy you like it. I like a 50/50 mixture of gruyere and cheddar.
Mix the macaroni and the cheese sauce together. Season with a bit of salt, pepper, and dry mustard. I like a pinch of cayenne, too. If you want to add other ingredients, here's where you do it - caramelized onions, jalapenos, bacon, whatever tickles your pickle. You can eat at this point for a stove-top style mac like what you're used to. If you want to classy that poo poo up a bit, dump it into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Top with bread crumbs. Bake @350F until the top is crispy.

Sodium citrate shenanigans aside, this is pretty much the canonical way to make a classic mac & cheese.

But that's really simple and easy. Why doesn't everybody do that?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

khy posted:

I can barely cook for myself. I would like assistance with something.

I make Macaroni and Cheese for myself in an extremely basic way. I boil the water, dump in the macaroni, drain when done, dump in a bunch of cheddar cheese, add some milk, and let it simmer a bit before serving. It is tasty as gently caress and I am happy with it... mostly.

The problem is that the cheese tends to stick to the spoons I use to stir/serve it more than it does to the pasta itself. I'm reluctant to change the recipe as it would change the taste which is perfect to me. Is there a way to change this super basic Macaroni and Cheese recipe so that the cheese sticks to the pasta more?

Use evaporated milk.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
If you haven't made a roux before, sometimes it can clump up when you add the milk, and really who owns a whisk these days. :effort:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BattleCattle posted:

But that's really simple and easy. Why doesn't everybody do that?

That is what I've done, for many years. But Sodium Citrate is amazing, and it's almost impossible to gently caress up. You can buy a huge amount for like $6 on Amazon, so if you regularly make cheese sauces you owe it to yourself to try it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Dilb posted:

If you haven't made a roux before, sometimes it can clump up when you add the milk, and really who owns a whisk these days. :effort:

Everyone, I'm pretty sure, and if you don't a wooden spoon is just fine. Mash the roux into the milk, and add v-e-e-e-ry slowly. It can help to put a tiny bit of milk in a ramekin, add a tiny bit of roux, mash it with a spoon, add more milk and more roux, and then mix that into the roux in the pan. Add the rest of the milk a bit at a time, stirring constantly, and you've got a perfect sauce.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

That is what I've done, for many years. But Sodium Citrate is amazing, and it's almost impossible to gently caress up. You can buy a huge amount for like $6 on Amazon, so if you regularly make cheese sauces you owe it to yourself to try it.

Yeah, it's actually pretty easy to gently caress up a roux (burning it by not stirring constantly, adding liquid too quickly so that it clumps, etc). My mother has been trying for more than fifty years and still can't do it right - though having watched her that's entirely because she won't stay put and stir the drat thing constantly.

If you're in it for the long haul, I agree with Squashy - the citrate makes a much "cheesier" sauce, since the end product will be a significantly higher percentage cheese by volume. It's cool and worth trying. I just personally like the old fashioned way, especially because it can be made with ingredients everyone already has on hand.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

rj54x posted:

If you're in it for the long haul, I agree with Squashy - the citrate makes a much "cheesier" sauce, since the end product will be a significantly higher percentage cheese by volume. It's cool and worth trying. I just personally like the old fashioned way, especially because it can be made with ingredients everyone already has on hand.
You can add milk (or whatever) to a cheese sauce made with sodium citrate.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
If you don't want to roux or sodium citrate, Budget Bytes' Miracle Mac n' Cheese uses a variation on having some of the pasta water to act as the starch that you'd normally be getting from the flour in a roux to keep things smooth and together - cook the pasta in the milk instead. It works really well and is dirt simple.

edited: because apparently run-on sentences are hard.

double edit: for forgetting to reply to SubG (sorry!)

SubG posted:

Use one of them anyplace you'd otherwise use four habs---sauces, stir-fries, whatever. If you're looking to go through a shitload of them you can also do something like make a sambal or a jelly or whatever using a bunch of them and then just use it as a condiment, portioning appropriately for your personal pain threshold.

Cheers! Have been mucking about with them using the 4x thing as a rule of thumb and scaling accordingly. Only blown my head off once! They're nice and fruity as long as treated with caution.

franco fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 10, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Speaking of Mac and cheese how the gently caress are you supposed to measure dry pasta? I always end up making way too loving much.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

Speaking of Mac and cheese how the gently caress are you supposed to measure dry pasta? I always end up making way too loving much.

Not seeing a problem here.

Seriouspost: You could use a scale or a cup depending on the recipe. It should say approx how much to use. If it's by weight I just eyeball that proportion from the box / bag as the total weight is on the packaging.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I used to be able to get high gluten flower that was great for thick roux; it was like cheese before you added the cheese. I bet thats hard to find these days.

I usually use sodium citrate now, but when I was making bechamel more often I found that I liked:
- to actually bring the milk to a boil before I added it to the roux
- a good fat pinch of mustard powder
- a small dash of nutmeg
- onion salt
- a squirt of ketchup, for its natural mellowing agents, and a squirt of hot sauce

rj54x posted:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

I used to be able to get high gluten flower that was great for thick roux; it was like cheese before you added the cheese. I bet thats hard to find these days.

Would bread flour work just as well? I've always just used AP flour (or pre-toasted flour, which is a nifty time-saving trick) but now I'm curious.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Want to make pancakes for a buddy but she's gluten-free. What kind of flour can I substitute with? Is there a kind where you can go 1 for 1? I heard you had to tweak recepies if you use gluten-free flour?

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

The last two pages have inspired me to make Mac and cheese with harrisa. Pray for me.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Pantry moths are the worst. Traps did wonders, but I think I'm going to have to throw everything they might eat out.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Affi posted:

Want to make pancakes for a buddy but she's gluten-free. What kind of flour can I substitute with? Is there a kind where you can go 1 for 1? I heard you had to tweak recepies if you use gluten-free flour?

Supposedly you can do gluten free/paleo pancakes with bananas. I've never done it but I've been told they are good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got good recipes that feature / use a large amount of honey?

Wife bought a giant bottle from costco but we had another big stash of it already that was hidden away so now I've got a ton. I know it will keep for a while but figured it would be fun to try something new / see what you guys thought.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have some okra that will go out of date soon. It was destined for a curry, but my partner has come down with a gum infection so he's not really feeling spicy food for the next few days. What's the best way to store okra to make it last? The stuff I've read about freezing it seems to require flash-freezing on a baking tray, but I have the tiniest freezer with no flat surfaces - only drawers. Would blanching then drying on a rack before freezing in a freezer bag be so bad?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That Works posted:

Anyone got good recipes that feature / use a large amount of honey?

Wife bought a giant bottle from costco but we had another big stash of it already that was hidden away so now I've got a ton. I know it will keep for a while but figured it would be fun to try something new / see what you guys thought.
Make some honey syrup for cocktails.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

I have some okra that will go out of date soon. It was destined for a curry, but my partner has come down with a gum infection so he's not really feeling spicy food for the next few days. What's the best way to store okra to make it last? The stuff I've read about freezing it seems to require flash-freezing on a baking tray, but I have the tiniest freezer with no flat surfaces - only drawers. Would blanching then drying on a rack before freezing in a freezer bag be so bad?

I use the chopped / frozen stuff all the time for gumbo and it works fine for that. Can't speak for other applications though. For that type it is chopped, chilled dry and bagged and then frozen. Doesn't seem to be anything special going on with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can I use a stick blender to whisk egg whites?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

I know it will keep for a while

That honey will outlive you, the structure of the pantry it's kept in, and the civilization that harvested it if kept in an airtight container out of sunlight.

Make honey candied fruits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honey should come with an expiration epoch printed on the jar.