Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

zakharov posted:

And now Jessica Mendoza has been added. Hopefully he won't be back next year.

Cool. Her/Kruk/Schullmann was probably the most bearable Sunday Night Baseball booth I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Dutchy posted:

Cool. Her/Kruk/Schullmann was probably the most bearable Sunday Night Baseball booth I can remember.

Uhhhh Schulman/Francona/Hersheiser was a legit good booth. Kruk is way worse than Schilling.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Seriously gently caress the Indians for taking Francona from the booth

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently the Red Sox asked Orsillo to tweet his firing was mutual and he said no. :lol:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

Apparently the Red Sox asked Orsillo to tweet his firing was mutual and he said no. :lol:
I've been out of the loop. Why exactly did he get fired?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crazy Ted posted:

To "re-energize" the team's broadcasts. No, really.

I guess the new guy is cheaper, too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dan LeBatard Show is officially taking over starting Tuesday in the 9-1 slot on ESPN Radio.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

leokitty posted:

Uhhhh Schulman/Francona/Hersheiser was a legit good booth. Kruk is way worse than Schilling.

I don't think I ever heard that one, I don't regularly watch Sunday Night Baseball and the A's were probably either bad or a season removed from being bad at the time so there was no way they were ever on it.

And I thought Kruk was kind of charmingly stupid next to Mendoza. I like him way more than Schilling.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElwoodCuse posted:

To "re-energize" the team's broadcasts. No, really.

I guess the new guy is cheaper, too.

"It's time to trim the fat from the budget, fire Orsillo."

- The organization that signed two third basemen to ~$100MM deals

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dutchy posted:

And I thought Kruk was kind of charmingly stupid next to Mendoza.
Actually it's more like frighteningly stupid.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Word was Fenway ushers and security were confiscating signs and posters supporting Orsillo too

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

He wasn't upbeat and pro-management enough with the Red Sox in last place once again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Orsillo got canned simply because the NESN and Red Sox upper management like Dave O'Brien more, and honestly, that's a perfectly reasonable stance. Everything else has been bungled completely of course, but going from Orsillo to O'Brien is at worst a lateral move.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

In the second week of July, Orsillo — whose contract expires at the end of December — learned from a third party he would not be returning to NESN. When Orsillo confronted his NESN bosses with this rumor during the second week of August, he was told it was true. The Sox planned to keep the news secret from the public until a team caravan in January. Keeping the news secret until January would have killed any chance of Orsillo getting another play-by-play job for next season.

The Sox must really hate Orsillo.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Where's that from? Because that's cartoonishly dickish.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Cartoonishly dickish is par for the course for the Red Sox FO, unfortunately.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

Where's that from? Because that's cartoonishly dickish.

Dan Shaunagssey.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ayn rand hand job posted:

Dan Shaunagssey.

Yup here's the link.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This whole thing is Peak Boston Media

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
So it turns out the one group that Boston media members won't issue Red Sox FO hit pieces against is...the Boston media?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!
If they were going by their usual MO the Boston FO would have buried Orsillo through the press and traded him to the Dodgers at the deadline.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mornacale posted:

So it turns out the one group that Boston media members won't issue Red Sox FO hit pieces against is...the Boston media?

They haven't out too many hit pieces out on this year's abomination of a season, but Lucchino left, Farrell got cancer and Cheringron stepped down so they got out of the firing line.

I mean there's Hanley Ramirez, but this season is a hit piece on its own for him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Honestly, the last person to have a hit piece written about them was AJ Piersynki, which let's be honest was probably earned. Lester didn't sign and the general consensus was that it was the FO's fault for lowballing him, nor can I recall any dirt being thrown Ellsbury's way when he signed with the MFY.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Scott Van Pelt's SC just launched tonight, and it started with a guest spot from Dan Patrick of all people. That just happened.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And Patrick wore his "Visitor" badge the whole time. Amazing.

EDIT: http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/dan-patrick-returns-to-sportscenter-still-manages-a-su-1729256926

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I'm not knocking you guys because it's ESPN's problem, but who the gently caress still cares about SportsCenter

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm not knocking you guys because it's ESPN's problem, but who the gently caress still cares about SportsCenter

I haven't watched SC in years but Scott Van Pelt is one of the very few people on ESPN who doesn't suck so I figured I'd give it a try.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

ESPN spent an ungodly amount of money on a set, so get used to them trying to make it relevant

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

ESPN spent an ungodly amount of money on a set

So much that I believe they actually spent it at the cost of retaining talent and producers, if memory serves. I think they announced the new set right around the time a series of cuts were handed down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes, almost immediately after that was announced they laid off a lot of back office people including Howie Schwab (I think that's his name) who had been there basically since the network started.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Honestly, the last person to have a hit piece written about them was AJ Piersynki, which let's be honest was probably earned. Lester didn't sign and the general consensus was that it was the FO's fault for lowballing him, nor can I recall any dirt being thrown Ellsbury's way when he signed with the MFY.

I remember stuff about cespedes being arrogant, lazy, etc that was completely at odds with the rest of his career

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's still basically sportscenter, but it's different enough that they should probably rename it.

I gave it a shot because I really like SVP. It was pretty whatever in the first episode (college football twitter seemed to love it but I think mostly because it was SVP and OMG HE MENTIONED GAMBLING) but it seems like once it finds its footing it could be pretty good.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mike Francessa simulcast on Fox Sports 1/2 is over. He was pre-empted all the time anyways.

Smart money is he winds up on that CBS sports net channel I don't get or MSG.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

davecrazy posted:

Mike Francessa simulcast on Fox Sports 1/2 is over. He was pre-empted all the time anyways.

Smart money is he winds up on that CBS sports net channel I don't get or MSG.

I think he said he never wanted to be on CBS Sports Net.

I don't know why he didn't move to MSG to begin with, they never have conflicts.

edit: Also, since he's out of football again, Tebow's back with the SEC Network:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/09/tim-tebow-sec-nation-sec-network-espn

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 9, 2015

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Vertical Lime posted:

I think he said he never wanted to be on CBS Sports Net.

I don't know why he didn't move to MSG to begin with, they never have conflicts.

edit: Also, since he's out of football again, Tebow's back with the SEC Network:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/09/tim-tebow-sec-nation-sec-network-espn

I really enjoyed Tebow's TV work. I'd like to see him get a shot at doing color for some games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah honestly Tebow was pretty good on TV. He seemed really comfortable with it.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
He's fine on studio stuff but I can't imagine him being that good at color commentary

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Groucho Marxist posted:

He's fine on studio stuff but I can't imagine him being that good at color commentary

I think he'd be better than a few folks with high profile gigs. Both NFL and NCAA.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My favorite part of new SportsCenter: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13627916

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scott Van Pelt is the best.