Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I just read the whole thread and I'd like to say that you're doing a great job and I've really enjoyed reading it so far. Is making .gifs still prohibitively difficult for you? Because I think this game has fantastic animations and would love seeing more of them in .gif form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Who What Now posted:

Is making .gifs still prohibitively difficult for you?

If you're recording your game footage (and not just screenshotting it), I can walk you through making a GIF out of it relatively easily. (Well, there are a fair number of steps involved, but they're easy enough to do.) PM me if you want help so I don't clutter the thread.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Leavemywife posted:

The Orin Temple influence is strong here. Little does this kid know that in this series, the more hair you have, the stronger you are.

Counterpoint: Raditz.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's not that I don't know how to make .gifs. I do, since Explosionface took far too much time to teach me how to do that. But the .gifs here don't come out under 2 MB, which I need them to be, so I can upload them to LPix.

And if I do manage to get them under the 2 MB limit, there's only about twelve colors in them, which makes them look like poo poo. There's enough going on in those attacks, what with the various hits and all the colors associated with them, and the screen darkening, and the character and enemy moving and what-not.

I'd love to have .gifs of all these attacks, but most of them are just too big and flashy to throw down like that. Even the .gif of Krillin's Destruco Disk is over 3,000 KB. At only 78 frames.

I managed to get something workable, but it looks awful.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

It is worth it though.

The little touch of the helmet flipping over his eyes and propping it back up just in time to see a laser saw blade come launching at his head is a fine one.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

You could make it smaller.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
or just upload the .gifs to imgur. If there's only, like, 4-5 per update it's not that huge a deal

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

or just upload the .gifs to imgur. If there's only, like, 4-5 per update it's not that huge a deal

Yeah, this would be my suggestion too. As long as you aren't uploading something akin to 100 gifs of that size it should be relatively easy, and you wouldn't need to worry about compressing them to the point where quality drops drastically.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Thirteen: One In A Million!? Can Goku Overcome The Odds!?

Howdy, folks, and welcome back to Attack of the Saiyans! Last time, instead of going straight forward in saving Ox-King's life, we went and dicked around in the city for a little bit, and became enablers to a man's carrot addiction. Today, we're going to actually go and plug that hole in the magical furnace, so let's head out.

We're back at Mount Five Element this update.

Nothing has changed on the way, so let's just skip over to Annin and the furnace.

And then we go back to the Kame House. I haven't tested this, but I'm pretty sure if you gather these two things and go to the Kame House yourself, nothing happens.

We're bringing Chi-Chi with us here, even though she won't be doing anything.

We would have been back sooner, but a group of influential individuals voted that I go to the city first.

Also, this game has the ol' RPG schtick of people with you just disappearing inside the lead character. I'm sure there's a term for it.

: Not so fast, kid! There's only a one-in-a-million chance that it'll even work, I'm afraid...

: One in a million!?

: ...And if you mess up, you'll be dead for sure!

: Well, I'm still giving it a shot! What do I have to do?

: Hmm...If anyone can do it, it's got to be you, Goku. I'll lift up the pot a little bit, so you'll go into the furnace and plug the hole in the meantime.

Annin did specify it was a hole in the bottom of the furnace. I'm pretty sure everyone else knew we'd be hopping in there.

Not that I'd be jumping for joy to do that or anything, mind you.

No, I didn't miss any dialog. Chi-Chi doesn't say poo poo about that line.

Oh, and the other Z-Fighters are with us, too, even if they're not shown. None of them have anything to say about this. It's...Kind of weird.

But, this is our gimmick for the next area. There will be occasional fiery barriers that we need to extinguish with the Bansho Fan.

Granted, the area is only about three screens long and there's just a few fires to put out, it's not much of a gimmick, but it's still there.

If nothing else, we're ready to tr--

Why do characters keep stealing my lines? :sigh:

I'm thinking about how much spaghetti you could make in a pot like that, and I'm suddenly starving.

: There are flames raging all across the furnace... The hole's probably deep inside, too!

: ...Got it! I'll dive in as far as I can go!

: Go then, Goku! There isn't a moment to lose!

Goku creates a path through the flames and...

Dives into the magical furnace to save Ox-King's life.

Holy crap, that is a lot of fire. :supaburn:

There are no random encounters in here, nor treasure, so you can just follow the path to the boss.

These are the bits of flame blocking our path; we just interact with them to wave the Bansho Fan and dispel them.

There are lava paths in Kiwi Volcano leading to treasure, but this is the main reason for picking up the Cold Boots.

Fighting the boss here after walking through that damage floor, and the ones beyond it, will drain a lot of your item reserves and make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Down here leads to a bonus boss, of sorts, and only available to fight this one time.

This guy, by far, is the toughest boss we've seen so far, and makes the actual boss here look like a punk.

:ducksiren:So let's kick the poo poo out of him.:ducksiren:

This guy has 4,000 HP to tear through, so let's bust out the best we got.

Goku learned this after the last update, thanks to the Finisher Bean. You learn this skill by leveling the Combination to Level 3 and the Kamehameha to Level 2.

Goku pops into a football stance and then

Bam! Elbow in the stomach!

To a series of kicks!

A gently caress-off punch!

To an airborne Kamehameha!

This is my favorite Ki attack of Goku's; it's powerful, doesn't cost all that much Ki to use, and will fill up the Rage Gauge really well. Plus, it looks cool as hell.

Destructo Disk is my go-to attack for Krillin, as it's strong, can hit multiple enemies, doesn't cost that much, and can instantly kill an enemy. And it's the Destructo Disk; who doesn't like this attack?

Yamcha keeps up with the Wolf Fang Fisting. I've mentioned before why I like it, so I'll spare you the explanation again. Never you mind that I probably just repeated why I like the Destructo Disk.

The Demon Flame has some powerful attacks at his disposal, including this one where he slices into someone with his claws. That are made of fire, as is his entire body. That damage is through an Advance Guard, by the way. This son of a bitch is strong.

That's not his only attack, though.

This one hits multiple times and can deal a lot of damage; I have the Cold Boots as my active Capsule, so we're resisting a good bit of Fire damage, plus Yamcha hit the Guard on this.

Bust out the big guns for this guy. In general, that's not a bad idea with any boss fight. Pretty much every boss fight is going to drop enough EXP that you'll level up afterward, and since leveling up fully restores your HP and Ki, it's not like you can shaft yourself by pissing your Ki away. That, and replenishing items are easy to find and inexpensive.

Unless you're wearing the Carrot Glove and trying to get 1,000 carrots. That takes a while.

But, I should be okay. I'll find plenty of accessories I won't use, which sell nicely, and I can probably pawn off items here and there to make the cash I'd need.

I should have done that in the reverse order, but too late now. Not that this was a disappointing attack, but Yamcha would have been better off punching the poo poo out of him, since Goku is far better at beam attacks than he is.

For the final attack, he launches a huge, gently caress-off ball of flame at someone. In this fight, he seemed to hate Yamcha, so I'm assuming he's jealous of his haircut.

This is through a Guard and with increased Fire resistance, so, holy poo poo, that could have been really bad for Yamcha if I wasn't prepared.

Still, the Demon Flame, while powerful, will fall eventually. Just don't get cocky about the fight, and you'll be okay.

We get enough EXP that Yamcha and Krillin level up twice, while Goku earns just one level, but most of another.

We also make a thousand bucks and get another Finisher Bean.

And we're going to make Yamcha stronger!

Yamcha gets our first Ultimate Skill, the Neo Wolf Fang Fist.

I throw two levels into it.

And he gets an HP and Ki boost along with it.

Heading east down the path, we scoot through some more lava.

There was a flame here to extinguish, but I'd first wandered over here before remembering the Demon Flame.

There's the actual boss right there.

While the Bansho Fan isn't really used for anything but pissant obstacles, I'm glad they actually put it to some use in here. They could have just as easily made it so we never had to use it. It's a small detail that I really like.

Plus, it looks pretty cool when we use it.

:ducksiren:I guess we will.:ducksiren:

So, here's our boss to finish out this section of the story. He's got 3800 HP, and isn't nearly as strong as the Demon Flame.

And within our first turn, we knock off a nice portion of his health. Those levels we gained from the Demon Flame are helping already!

He's got the ability to boost his Attack, but even with this active, he still doesn't hit as hard as the Demon Flame.

This also contributed to the rear end-beating I laid on this fella.

Yamcha starts with a flurry of punches.

Segueing into trying to snap the Furnace Flame's ankles.

Before hauling out and kicking him right in the goddamned face.

And then slams him into the wall with a palm strike.

Which leads to an aerial Kamehameha.

Yamcha isn't much for beam attacks, but the brunt of the damage here comes from all the physical strikes he throws down before the Kamehameha.

And now, let's use that Freeze Capsule we got on Mount Frappe.

Being a big ol' living flame, he doesn't cotton to ice spikes blasting him from the floor.

The ice exploding doesn't do any more damage, but it looks cool.

This hits the entire party, and once again, the Cold Boots being our active Capsule really help out. Goku hit the Guard on this one. For those of you comparing that to the Demon Flame, remember that the Furnace Flame had boosted his Attack prior to this. The Demon Flame is much stronger than this guy, but it's definitely worth taking him out, as his EXP drop is nice, and who doesn't want an extra 1500 AP for someone?

Alright, let's end this fight. Yamcha has the honors and beats him to death.

Well, he got two levels from the last fight, so I guess it's fair Yamcha doesn't level up here. And Krillin has caught up to him in terms of levels, so that's nice. Goku is still ahead though. As he will be, since he's friggin' Goku.

The Concentration Charm is an advanced version of the Attack Water. Hopefully when I use this, the boss won't shaft me with a status effect.

I can't help but hear this line done in the voice of the boss from the first level of Star Fox 64.

Alright, let's go finish this up.

...It's right there, Goku.

I'd try and do one a getting warmer joke, but I'm pretty sure Goku is sweating in places he didn't know could sweat, so let's move forward.

I'm really curious how they put that plug together. And how a hole that small is loving poo poo up so badly.

And with that, we've plugged the magical furnace! :krakentoot:

...Hey, shouldn't Annin be holding the pot?

: This ought to make the fire go away in the castle, right?

: It should!

: Thank you, Goku! Sorry for the trouble, Chi-Chi...As overseer of the furnace, I formally apologize!

With that, Goku and Chi-Chi were able to hold their marriage ceremony.

Oh, hey, Chi-Chi in a wedding dress. And here I was thinking we never saw her in one.

...Wait a second.

Someone, answer me this.

What the gently caress is wrong with Fortuneteller Baba

It's just...

:stonk: sums it up the best for me, I feel.

See, this line is funny, because Chi-Chi and Goku don't go out and get jobs. They just sponge off Ox-King when they need cash.

Then again, with all the world-saving that Goku does, maybe it's okay he didn't go for that third-shift Burger King position.

: Hoihoihoi!! Let's see...Ahhh!

Baba, what is it!? Is something--

...Oh. Well, we're about to move five years ahead, okay.

But not this update. For now, we'll stop here.

Next time, we'll see what's cooking half a decade from now. Stay tuned!

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
Jesus, that Demon Flame really had it out for Yamcha. All but one attack was directed at him. At least he made up for it by getting a nearly 600 damage attack. Good on ya.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Serious answer: it's unclear pixel work. Comedy answer: Baba slept through the whole thing and wore some gag spectacles with open eyes on them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's a time-honored tradition for villains trying to prove how tough they are to beat on Yamcha before getting destroyed by a stronger character.

See: Android 20, Super Buu, a random Saibaman, etc.

On the topic of Meteor Combination, I was surprised to learn this is actually a technique from Dragonball after I played this game! It was used by Goku against Piccolo Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnxF8qnZMAg

Man, seeing this RPG again really makes me wish the power scale hadn't got as out of control as it did. Goku using a mystical artifact to progress through a dungeon instead of just using his ki really feels a lot more satisfying somehow.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 10, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Demon Flame is also one of the few missable enemies so you'll have an incomplete bestiary if you don't fight it there.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I can't tell if Baba is tweaking out or if someone let their infantile kid draw her face into the original picture :crossarms:

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Here's another question: Where the hell is everyone else?

Baba may be having an off day but at least she showed up!

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Now that's an image worth saving, I tell ya hwhat.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Well, Toriyama is also a designer for Dragon Quest and Baba currently looks oddly like a slime in costume makeup. Connection?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TheFattestPat posted:

Here's another question: Where the hell is everyone else?

Baba may be having an off day but at least she showed up!

I imagine that's just the guests of honor table, with Baba standing in for, uh, any of Goku's extant family, adopted or otherwise.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Are finisher beans a lot more common than I thought? Because I can't imagine giving a stat-boosting item to Yamcha of all people.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Glazius posted:

I imagine that's just the guests of honor table, with Baba standing in for, uh, any of Goku's extant family, adopted or otherwise.

That honestly makes sense considering Baba summoned up Gohan early in Dragonball.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Grand Gigas posted:

Are finisher beans a lot more common than I thought? Because I can't imagine giving a stat-boosting item to Yamcha of all people.

Finisher Beans, from what I recall, aren't common, with there being five or six in the game.

It seems odd to say it, but Yamcha is actually pretty kickass. Wolf Fang Fist is a really good skill, as is the Neo Wolf Fang Fist; with all the Power I've been throwing his way, it's just going to keep getting better and better; his accuracy issue will be fixed soon enough thanks to an accessory, and then later on, he'll get a unique accessory that boosts most of his stats while shafting one (but it'll be juuuuust fine).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

K-ParAdoX posted:

Jesus, that Demon Flame really had it out for Yamcha. All but one attack was directed at him. At least he made up for it by getting a nearly 600 damage attack. Good on ya.

nobody likes Yamcha

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Coolguye posted:

nobody likes Yamcha

Yamcha rules in video games though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Considering you are going to get characters who are probably better than the stock humans(no surprise considering Goku is better) I wonder why you are wasting it on Yamcha of all folk.

Like you could give them to someone who doesnt canonicallly die.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Who else is there? Piccolo and Vegeta maybe? There's not really anyone else to cram in the party aside from them at this point.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The other reason why only Baba is there is because she was kinda there by incidence in the anime, having flown to the castle to explain that, no the Bansho fan wouldn't put out the fire. She wasn't there deliberately for the wedding, but was the only side character save Ox-King who was even there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

nobody likes Yamcha

I want to like Yamcha, but Yamcha makes it difficult.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Who What Now posted:

I want to like Yamcha, but Yamcha makes it difficult.

you and bulma have something in common

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Considering you are going to get characters who are probably better than the stock humans(no surprise considering Goku is better) I wonder why you are wasting it on Yamcha of all folk.

Like you could give them to someone who doesnt canonicallly die.

That excludes our present party except Krillin.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What do you mean? Krillin dies more than once?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Every one of our available party members are all killed at one point or another (sometimes multiple times!).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well yeah, everyone is killed at least once or twice by the Buu Arc. But Krillin doesn't die during the Saiyan Arc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well yeah, everyone is killed at least once or twice by the Buu Arc. But Krillin doesn't die during the Saiyan Arc.

Neither does Goku. I mean, he was dead for a while but the- Oh wait, I'm not counting Raditz as part of the Saiyan arc.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RareAcumen posted:

Neither does Goku. I mean, he was dead for a while but the- Oh wait, I'm not counting Raditz as part of the Saiyan arc.

Goku being dead is a huge part of the Saiyan arc. It could be argued that him being dead caused all four deaths that occurred.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you exclude the bit where Earth's been blown to pieces that lasts about twenty minutes before they revert it, three people actually completely avoid death for the entire series from the start of Dragonball to the end of the Buu Arc : one of King Kai's fellow Kais (couldn't tell you which one), Fortuneteller Baba, and Hercule.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

If you exclude the bit where Earth's been blown to pieces that lasts about twenty minutes before they revert it, three people actually completely avoid death for the entire series from the start of Dragonball to the end of the Buu Arc : one of King Kai's fellow Kais (couldn't tell you which one), Fortuneteller Baba, and Hercule.

Dont you mean include? Because Baba and Hercule survived earths destruction.

Also technically Hercule dies in Resurrection F when Frieza blows up earth. But Whis rewinds time. Do you die if the event technically didn't happen?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well I mean over the period the game covers, going by the name it's up until Vegeta.
Which means Piccolo and maybe-probably Gohan.

At least Piccolo dies after everyone else kicks the bucket.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You'll all see. There's a method to the madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Goku being dead is a huge part of the Saiyan arc. It could be argued that him being dead caused all four deaths that occurred.

Yeah, I totally forgot about Raditz and was just counting the Nappa and Vegeta fight because that's the part where everyone died.

• Locked thread