Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Speaking of tents has anyone used those new mountain-glo lights from Big Agnes? I think they are really kind of gimmicky and overpriced but my girlfriend think they are the greatest thing made since good instant coffee and wants me to buy a set. Personally I think my cheap little black diamond lantern works well enough.

When we picked up our Copper Spur 3 earlier this year, I sprung for the mountain-glo light. I don't know if it's worth the $50 premium, but I like it and I find myself using it just about every time I use the tent. It is bright enough to get stuff done, but dim enough that they won't wake up the whole campsite, especially with the rainfly on. Two brightness settings on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What do you alpine hikers do when a thunderstorm hits, if you're on a multiday trip? Is it best to get below the treeline and find a shorter group of trees among taller ones? (that's what I'd do out east). Or is there some other best practice? What if you can't get below the treeline in time?

Is it..... scary? :ohdear:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I grew up and stopped sleeping in the woods. Which sucks. So I've decided to spend the night in the state park tonight before my trail run tomorrow. I have a "two" man tent and my father in law's old airborne bag. Given that it's going to be above fifty tonight (but rainy) would I be crazy to impulse buy a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip hammock from REI and an el-cheapo closed cell pad and take the tent along in case I'm too much a maladroit to tie a hammock to some trees with no previous experience? It looks like the hammock comes with both tree straps and a rainfly, so as far as I can tell I shouldn't need anything but that, a pad, my ancient bag, and a sack of clothes for my head. Also a couple of trees, but that's easy. Am I missing anything?

To be clear, I want a hammock for hiking and hopefully eventually fast packing some longer local trails anyway. I doubt I'll be willing to pay for the hyperlite.

Edit: 5'10" & 180 on a good day. Probably 185 today. :(

Loucks fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 11, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Loucks posted:

I grew up and stopped sleeping in the woods. Which sucks. So I've decided to spend the night in the state park tonight before my trail run tomorrow. I have a "two" man tent and my father in law's old airborne bag. Given that it's going to be above fifty tonight (but rainy) would I be crazy to impulse buy a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip hammock from REI and an el-cheapo closed cell pad and take the tent along in case I'm too much a maladroit to tie a hammock to some trees with no previous experience? It looks like the hammock comes with both tree straps and a rainfly, so as far as I can tell I shouldn't need anything but that, a pad, my ancient bag, and a sack of clothes for my head. Also a couple of trees, but that's easy. Am I missing anything?

To be clear, I want a hammock for hiking and hopefully eventually fast packing some longer local trails anyway. I doubt I'll be willing to pay for the hyperlite.

I have that exact hammock and I love it. I also use it with a closed-cell pad and it works great, I've slept down to 30 F (in a 25 F rated bag) no problem.

It's not hard to set up, but setting it up for the first time ever in the rain might be, uh, sucky. Getting the rainfly right can be a little confusing the first time too. Any chance you could at least unfurl everything at home and get an idea of how it all goes up?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaving work this afternoon and driving straight to the park, so no opportunity to screw around with the hammock and rainfly indoors. I'd just be stopping by REI on my way.

It's not supposed to rain until tonight though, so maybe I'll get lucky!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have that exact hammock and am almost your exact size. The hammock is very comfortable and is simple to set up if you are familiar with rope and knots. It would 100% recommend setting it up somewhere beforehand and/or make sure you have plenty of time and light to set it up in the woods for the first time. Also look into the "Snakeskins" things that they sell. They are these tapered tubes that you pack the hammock up in. They work amazingly well and really help keeping the hammock safe and compressed.

Edit: just remembered, the tree straps it comes with are super super short and kinda worthless if you are going anywhere with mostly large trees. You can use the hammock support ropes to help extend the straps but again, it would be good to practice.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 11, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Speaking of hammock straps, Kamock Python straps and ENO Atlas straps are very similar. They have the same construction design, they are made of the same material, they cost the same, they weigh within an ounce of each other. The Kamock straps are rated at 250lbs each (500lbs total) and the ENO straps are rated at 200lbs each (400lbs total) which is basically no different for most practical purposes. The potentially big difference is that Kamock straps are 10' long each and ENO straps are 9' long each.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
One of these days I will start sewing my own straps. Using a marlin spike hitch lets you only have a loop in one end, so you save a ton of material weight.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Speaking of hammocks, anyone think this one's worth $12.50?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

alnilam posted:

What do you alpine hikers do when a thunderstorm hits, if you're on a multiday trip? Is it best to get below the treeline and find a shorter group of trees among taller ones? (that's what I'd do out east). Or is there some other best practice? What if you can't get below the treeline in time?

Is it..... scary? :ohdear:

Thunder storms are often fairly brief at those altitudes...they tend to move through quickly (at least I'm thinking of the Sierra). You probably don't have time to get below treeline unless you're already right there. Truthfully I've never had it happen to me but I think I would probably throw on my rain jacket quickly and find a low spot maybe among some rocks as long as they aren't the highest stuff in the area.

You can also usually see storms coming and find some shelter of sorts, or at least make decisions like "ok I'm not going to go climb that pass with a storm coming"

If I was already in my tent at night I"m not sure I"d jump out but generally I pitch the tent to be among stuff that's taller than it so it's not the tallest thing in the area. I guess that's a bad idea but if it's a violent storm with hail and driving rain I'd have to weigh that stuff as well

e: and yeah it can be a bit scary, it's loud as gently caress even if the lightning isn't striking around you. Last year on a trip there was a storm nearby (it never ended up raining where I was and I couldn't actually see any strikes, but could hear thunder) and it was kinda interesting

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

e: and yeah it can be a bit scary, it's loud as gently caress even if the lightning isn't striking around you. Last year on a trip there was a storm nearby (it never ended up raining where I was and I couldn't actually see any strikes, but could hear thunder) and it was kinda interesting

I've experienced the complete opposite and it's also strange. Thunderstorms seem to hit our mountains frequently right after sunset, at least in my experience, and you can see the lighting from far away but the mountains block the sound of thunder. If there's no wind or rain at the time, you can watch the skies light up a range or two over but it's completely silent. Very surreal.

The very few times storms have loomed before I had camp set up, I've been lucky that they didn't strike my immediate area, they always veered off in a different direction at what seemed like the last minute. But usually I'm already in bed, not able to sleep just because it's so drat bright and loud.

Xeno54
Apr 25, 2004
bread

Levitate posted:

find a low spot maybe among some rocks as long as they aren't the highest stuff in the area.

Don't shelter among rocks during a thunderstorm. When lightning strikes a mountain there will be significant ground current, which will travel fairly easily through rock and arc across discontinuities. There was an incident near me earlier in the summer where 10+ people were shocked from ground current traveling through rock near the summit of a mountain. Many were knocked unconscious, some were hospitalized, and a dog died. You're better off on dry insulating material, like grass or moss. Admittedly that might be difficult to find at altitude, but I see occasional patches even near 14k ft, at least where I am. Dirt is better than rock, if it comes down to it. Get off of ridges and summits, obviously. Also, some advice I've heard is to crouch down on the soles of your shoes, put your elbows on your knees, and hands on your head. The logic is that this will give the current a shorter path through your body and help avoid vital organs. I don't know definitively if that's true, but it sounds plausible.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

alnilam posted:

Or is there some other best practice?
I use a ham radio and a barometer to have at least 8 hours warning before a storm rolls in (and usually 24+ hours warning)

Xeno54 posted:

I don't know definitively if that's true, but it sounds plausible.
That's the "thunderstorm position". I see it in the literature too but there's also no conclusive evidence of just how much it helps, if it does at all. Worth a shot though! You should also be squatting on your sleeping pad, for more electrical insulation.

A hiker with a blog wrote a post about this recently.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
yeah I was thinking more in the dirty or grass between rocks but still maybe not the best idea. It can be kinda tough to find a low area away from everything you're supposed to without immediately becoming the highest thing in the area

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That Hennessy hammock was a huge success. Thanks to those who advised. I woke up to a great blue heron making some horrible noise that was most likely his version of cursing at me for invading his fishing space. :3:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yesterday's hike led me deep into my favorite mountain range. Too deep. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get back before dark. But before all that there were lakes

Moose Lake. Sadly no moose were seen

Upper Moose Lake

Both lakes

Possibly the prettiest lake in Idaho, Angel Lake

More lakes

On my way back about 150 feet in front of me I watched a tree tip a bit, then come crashing down onto a second tree. The other tree never stood a chance and hit the ground as well. I always get a bit nervous when the wind picks up in a forested area, especially when the trees are already dead.

Then some cows blocked my way out so I hopped the fence. I wondered if one day one of them would realize that with a bit of coordination they could knock down the fence and escape.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Wild cows!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Post your trail cows

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm looking into planning a trip to head up to Alberta next fall for a week long hike. My girlfriend bugs me about Alberta seemingly every week and it looks gorgeous so unless I get lucky and finally draw for The Enchantments this year that will be my yearly long hike. I'm just in the very beginning of my research and am having a hard time finding long 50+ mile hikes.

Banff looks amazing, but seems to consist of mostly day hikes or simple overnighters. Is it a wilderness area like in the US where you can go off trail if you are far enough in and make your own path or do you have to stick to established trails? What about the Tonquin Valley trail? That looks amazing but I've heard that it is seriously over hiked and has to much mud and erosion for its own good. Any other trails or areas that I should look into?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
PicnicPrincess will be along shortly with more info than you'll ever want or need.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

When I was in Switzerland you would have to cross cow pastures at times to continue on as well. Usually they just had a sign that said something along the lines of "You're welcome to enter just close the gate behind you"

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm looking into planning a trip to head up to Alberta next fall for a week long hike. My girlfriend bugs me about Alberta seemingly every week and it looks gorgeous so unless I get lucky and finally draw for The Enchantments this year that will be my yearly long hike. I'm just in the very beginning of my research and am having a hard time finding long 50+ mile hikes.

Banff looks amazing, but seems to consist of mostly day hikes or simple overnighters. Is it a wilderness area like in the US where you can go off trail if you are far enough in and make your own path or do you have to stick to established trails? What about the Tonquin Valley trail? That looks amazing but I've heard that it is seriously over hiked and has to much mud and erosion for its own good. Any other trails or areas that I should look into?

Have you checked out the Canadian Rockies trail guide?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

SeaborneClink posted:

PicnicPrincess will be along shortly with more info than you'll ever want or need.

Indeed!

I'm actually at work right now but I can write up some suggestions when I get home and have my resources available.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Indeed!

I'm actually at work right now but I can write up some suggestions when I get home and have my resources available.

Thanks PicnicPrincess! Really looking forward to whatever information you have to give. I've been looking online and am totally overwhelmed with all of the options out there, and simultaneously not enough info.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Okay, so personally I haven't been to Tonquin Valley yet, but the mountains known as the Ramparts are badass. There could be heavy traffic, due to there being backcountry lodges, horses are allowed, and larch season is happening.

There is actually a serious lack of online information about routes in the mountains here, I noticed when I was going to do the Skoki region. Which is also awesome, by the way. There are some more remote wilderness trails in Banff NP that get maintained maybe once or twice a year, and some unmaintained trails as well. Trails such as 40 Mile Valley and Pulsatilla Pass. I posted a picture my brother-in-law took there last September.

Picnic Princess posted:

My brother-in-law just posted this from a solo trip this week, and all I have to say is :drat:

Pulsatilla Pass in Banff National Park. Click for big.

Assiniboine Provincial Park is super fantastic too, but unless you're doing the linear trip from Sunshine Meadows to Mt. Shark parking lot, there is going to be some uphill slogs. Also do not stay at Porcupine Meadows campground, anyone who does promptly regrets it. I can never say enough good things about Mt. Robson and Berg Lake, in the western central Rockies. It's in BC, right on the border of Alberta and about an hour west of Jasper. It has to reserved online, there's no dropping in on that one. There's also Yoho National Park west of Banff, which has the Iceline and Whaleback trails. My husband did that one and loved it. Kootenay National Park is in the area as well, it has the Rockwall which is like a lesser Tonquin Valley but still great. There's options on that one, a few different routes you can take to get to Floe Lake.

There's also Kananaskis Country, which is often overlooked because it's not world famous. But it's just as amazing. It's most of the eastern ranges, and trails like Aster Lake, or Burstall and Palliser Pass. A friend of mine just posted this from his trip to the Burstall Pass area, it's amazing there, and the peak that towers over everything is Mt. Birdwood, one of my favourites. https://www.flickr.com/photos/markostavric/21250862428/in/photostream/

For true wilderness backpacking, you'd have to go to one of the wildland provincial parks, where you can camp wherever you please as long as you're 1km away from any infrastructure. They're located on the eastern most areas of the mountains near Calgary. There's also crownland but you have to be careful and check if the land is being leased for any reason. It's also not as nice, mostly foothills east of the mountains. Fun for locals looking to get away from everyone but not worth a long distance trip to get here.

But I can see you wanting to stick to Banff or Jasper, they're really famous and on many people's bucket lists. Whatever you plan on doing, I highly, highly, highly suggest picking up one of the Gem Trek maps for your region.

http://www.gemtrek.com/

They are seriously the best resource you could have. I own every one of them and I always bring one with me when I go out. The book "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies is good too, it's brutally honest about trails.

And be prepared for snow. I hiked out in a blizzard a few weeks ago at treeline and several hundred feet below it. Just expect it will happen.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thank you so much Picnic Princess! That book and those maps will definitely give me a good starting point to start my planning. I'm not necessarily needing true wildnerness backpacking even, I just dont want to go all the way out there and do a day hike and then sleep in a hotel for a week straight.

I'm glad to see I wasn't crazy for considering Tonquin Valley. I'll look into the Ramperts, I think that could be an awesome area to explore. I'm fully expecting snow at the peaks on these trips. Probably wont pack snowshoes or anything like that but wouldnt hurt to bring some crampons, gaiters, and some warmer clothing. Again thank you, now I can spend months planning out a trip which is half the fun for me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

To continue hijacking the thread does anybody have any tent recommendations on a 4 person, primarily car camping tent, at a lower price range say under $250? Want something that I dont have to worry about my dog beating up to much, I'm less concerned with the weight. For nostalgia reasons and because they're everywhere I was considering a Eureka Spitfire 4. I had read some reports that the quality of them has gone down though in recent years, that could be true or it could just be wistful oldtimers remembering their old tents from their scouting days with rose colored glasses.

That or there are some Alps Mountaineering tents that are pretty cheap, but I've never used any of their equipment before and I'm leery of getting a crappy tent with weak poles and poor materials.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

To continue hijacking the thread does anybody have any tent recommendations on a 4 person, primarily car camping tent, at a lower price range say under $250? Want something that I dont have to worry about my dog beating up to much, I'm less concerned with the weight. For nostalgia reasons and because they're everywhere I was considering a Eureka Spitfire 4. I had read some reports that the quality of them has gone down though in recent years, that could be true or it could just be wistful oldtimers remembering their old tents from their scouting days with rose colored glasses.

That or there are some Alps Mountaineering tents that are pretty cheap, but I've never used any of their equipment before and I'm leery of getting a crappy tent with weak poles and poor materials.

If you're drive-up camping and don't have to carry it very far, you'll be hard-pressed to find something as spacious, convenient and easy to set up as Coleman's instant tent. It's about ten pounds and pretty bulky, but drat it isn't just the easiest thing ever. You're looking at about $175 for it most places.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I would get just the more basic Coleman:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...ds=coleman+tent

Friends of mine use these on our whitewater kayaking trips, and they seem to go up really fast, no real compelling reason to get the easy up model unless you want the ceiling space. Keep in mind that for comfy car camping, I would not want to stick more than 2 people in a 4 person tent. I also think unless you've got one of those really huge tents, 2 people per tent should be the max.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah I'm leaning towards just getting one of those cheapie Colemans and then seam sealing the heck out of it. I've always gone by tents real capacity as being n-1, so no fooling me there. In researching and scouring craigslist I came across an interesting model called a Eureka Nightscape:
http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/pr...19_2955crx.aspx
I dont plan on getting it as I heard the fly can be problematic but I think it's always cool to see manufacturers try something different. Really in looking at all of the different tent models out there I'm inspired to start working on my own solo tarp-tent. I think it would be an interesting project. Holy poo poo though a whole roll of tyvek is expensive when you only neew a few feet!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

This is amazingly loving weak. We had a big camping trip planned for the weekend after my birthday at a campsite that tends to fill up. Our group had three sites booked and now everyone is dropping out to go drink around Houston this weekend. It's just me and my wife going now. We're still going to have a great time, but I think I need a group of friends who appreciates good hiking and camping as much as I do.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Hungryjack posted:

This is amazingly loving weak. We had a big camping trip planned for the weekend after my birthday at a campsite that tends to fill up. Our group had three sites booked and now everyone is dropping out to go drink around Houston this weekend. It's just me and my wife going now. We're still going to have a great time, but I think I need a group of friends who appreciates good hiking and camping as much as I do.

Remind them camp fire whiskey is better than crowded bar whiskey.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thank you so much Picnic Princess! That book and those maps will definitely give me a good starting point to start my planning. I'm not necessarily needing true wildnerness backpacking even, I just dont want to go all the way out there and do a day hike and then sleep in a hotel for a week straight.

I'm glad to see I wasn't crazy for considering Tonquin Valley. I'll look into the Ramperts, I think that could be an awesome area to explore. I'm fully expecting snow at the peaks on these trips. Probably wont pack snowshoes or anything like that but wouldnt hurt to bring some crampons, gaiters, and some warmer clothing. Again thank you, now I can spend months planning out a trip which is half the fun for me.

Snoeshoes shouldn't be necessary. The peaks tend to melt down to only glacier with very little snow left behind by the end of summer. Even in fall our weather is very inconsistent and it can range anywhere from below freezing to 87F in September and October. The snow usually never gets a chance to get thick enough for them until mid-November. You might find some firn in the north facing cirques, but in my experience they're usually quite safe, shallow grade and fun to slide on without needing any tools to stop.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah I'm leaning towards just getting one of those cheapie Colemans and then seam sealing the heck out of it. I've always gone by tents real capacity as being n-1, so no fooling me there. In researching and scouring craigslist I came across an interesting model called a Eureka Nightscape:
http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/pr...19_2955crx.aspx
I dont plan on getting it as I heard the fly can be problematic but I think it's always cool to see manufacturers try something different. Really in looking at all of the different tent models out there I'm inspired to start working on my own solo tarp-tent. I think it would be an interesting project. Holy poo poo though a whole roll of tyvek is expensive when you only neew a few feet!

I've started just using a cot for most car camping and sleeping out assuming there is limited bugs/no rain. That being said, a tent with a tarp material floor seems really nice, especially because you could stuff a cot inside one of them. My buddy who has a pretty old version of the Coleman I linked had it out earlier this year on a trip where it rained for 2 days straight, I think he was pretty much dry the entire time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If i was to car camp I would want one of those old canvas tents tall enough to stand in, complete with a wood stove inside.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm fine with a queen air mattress in my regular tent. Fills it completely. If it's cold we also bring all of our blankets. Literally all of them, make a huge pile on the mattress and sleep like cats all snuggled up in the middle. Although the tent is small enough they can almost reach the ceiling by the time everything's inside. I should have taken a picture, it was ridiculous.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So you basically car camp in a blanket fort. Whoever said bring an adult wasn't AWESOME, was wrong.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bunnielab posted:

If i was to car camp I would want one of those old canvas tents tall enough to stand in, complete with a wood stove inside.
These tend to be old, horrible designs tho.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

These tend to be old, horrible designs tho.

They can be pretty good they just take a long time to setup. Way more poles to stake, way more tie downs, and I wouldn't want to have to do it by myself. Nothing like a nice big canvas tent in winter with the wood stove going. Just to much of a hassle for me to want to use for quick little weekend trips car camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
If your tent doesn't look like this when you car camp, well.. you're doing it wrong.