Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone was wondering what Quinn is up to now he's playing Harvey Bullock in the TV series Gotham.

Donal Logue's been in a ton of things recently: Sons of Anarchy, Vikings, SVU. I was actually surprised to see that Quinn was played by him when I rewatched Blade a few weeks back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Seeing him as the dad in Grounded For Life made my teenage head spin.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Fat Lou, please finish watching and posting about the 1998 fantasy action film "Blade."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yes, please finish this. I found out HBO Go has Blade on and watched it last night. The CGI reminds me of Buffy The Vampire Slayer in terms of quality, so that's not bad for a late 90's action movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Thirding! These threads bring out some really good discussion.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Sorry guys, I have been insanely busy over the past couple weeks. I will try to get an update out in a few days.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

You mean midway through the film. I like Blade 2 quite a lot, but it suffered heavily from del Toro "introduce insanely cool characters to have them die five minutes later without them seeing much action" syndrome, just like Pacific Rim. At least Blade 2 kept Ron Perlman around longer.

This was the dumbest thing in Blade 2 because the make a big deal about how they all have these UV guns and stuff that will completely own the reapers/vampires and then they just stroll into that sewer and get completely clowned anyway because they decide not to use them for no reason at all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm really sure that the weird fat vampire that Blade burns with the UV light in the library, he or she is def. in this movie, guarding the library that we just saw Frost and Udo Kier discuss in, otherwise my mind has come way off track. Am I way off here? Everyeone keeps talking about UV lights like they're a new thing in the sequels but they're not!!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

This was the dumbest thing in Blade 2 because the make a big deal about how they all have these UV guns and stuff that will completely own the reapers/vampires and then they just stroll into that sewer and get completely clowned anyway because they decide not to use them for no reason at all.

They reminded me a bit of the Space Marines in Aliens, all one-liners and brofists about how they will absolutely waste any threat because they are so badasss, only to get decimated. But in Aliens it worked a lot better, for various reasons, whereas in Blade 2 it just felt like a waste of potentially cool characters.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I guess I have to quote it. Seriously, read this interview with Udo Kier. It's amazing.

I know this post was made a while ago but I just wanted to chime in and agree that this quote really helps explain why the first Blade has a more restrained and dark tone than the sequels. Basically there were people around who were willing to say 'no, gently caress that' to David S. Goyer's terrible script writing.

I recently re-watched Blade II and while it will always have a soft spot in my heart because of how much I liked it as a 15 year old I was really struck, after more than a decade, by how overwhelmingly dumb the entire plot of the movie was and how hokey and silly the action scenes were. Revisiting the series after many years I find that only the first movie actually holds up as a classic 90s action movie. The sequel has its moments but it's a lot sillier and less coherent.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Back to the last scene, when I watched it a couple weeks ago I got some really gay vibes from Frost and the older vamp. When he goes 'You bore me,' it was like a bitchy comment to drop to an ex on your way out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing that established about modern vampire fiction, it's that vampires are almost always obsessed with their sires. This obsession transcends sexual orientation. Now, I don't think that Draconetti is supposed to be Frost's sire, but in the larger scope of vampire things, beings who live for hundreds of years are often much more flexible in the sexuality.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I forgot that Blade came out only a few years after the Interview with a Vampire movie, when Anne Rice/Lestat interest was probably at its peak. Interesting to consider its portrayal of vampires as a product of that cultural context.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

I forgot that Blade came out only a few years after the Interview with a Vampire movie, when Anne Rice/Lestat interest was probably at its peak. Interesting to consider its portrayal of vampires as a product of that cultural context.

Queen of the Damned and Blade 2 came out the same year. Afaik they both have vampire bondage raves or whatever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

the thing i plain never understood was yeah ok daywalker born from a pregnant human bitten just before birth.

given these vampires live for hundreds of years, why in the goddamned world would they not engineer this exact situation to have a supersoldier who works for them?

other than that, blade owns, fistpump owns, spinkicking syringes owns

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Two Finger posted:

the thing i plain never understood was yeah ok daywalker born from a pregnant human bitten just before birth.

given these vampires live for hundreds of years, why in the goddamned world would they not engineer this exact situation to have a supersoldier who works for them?

other than that, blade owns, fistpump owns, spinkicking syringes owns

I assumed turning a woman during childbirth would have a series of complications that would either result in killing the baby or doing nothing most of the time, and Blade was just horribly, horribly lucky.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Or maybe it happened before: legends about Dhampirs have existed since the middle-ages.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean, do we think they invented the term "Daywalker" just for Blade because he's the first one ever?
Considering how concerned vampire society seems to be with purity, going through the effort of impregnating a human woman, keeping her alive for 9 months, and then biting her right as she's about to give birth seems like a lot of effort to make a super-soldier who won't have any reason to want to do what you say... Plus Blade's only better than vampires in the sense that he can walk in the sunlight. Vampires seem to have gotten along just fine without that ability for millennia. Motorcycle helmets and sunscreen seem to work fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus look at Blade's childhood. He was an orphan and when Whistler found him he was basically a cannibal teen runaway. I think we can assume that a similar fate befalls this situation most of the time, and it's only relatively recently that the vampires have such a solid hook up with the police/politicians/whatever that they would even be able to care or try to keep tabs on one. Frost is actually kind of right in that meeting scene earlier on, in that they're able to drawn in and go on the offensive with Blade because they're operating more openly, making him do the same.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

Yeah, I mean, do we think they invented the term "Daywalker" just for Blade because he's the first one ever?
Considering how concerned vampire society seems to be with purity, going through the effort of impregnating a human woman, keeping her alive for 9 months, and then biting her right as she's about to give birth seems like a lot of effort to make a super-soldier who won't have any reason to want to do what you say... Plus Blade's only better than vampires in the sense that he can walk in the sunlight. Vampires seem to have gotten along just fine without that ability for millennia. Motorcycle helmets and sunscreen seem to work fine.

They could just raise the little bastard themselves to be a loyal super lackey. Really though Daywalkers would just be more of a pain than their worth. They age, so at some point you've just got a geriatric half vampire who is probably going to just get more and more bitter as they age. Additionally putting them in charge of anything probably is more likely to lead toward them trying to take over your empire than anything else. With humans you can get all the subservient compliance you want by dangling some immortality in front of them, Daywalkers probably can't be made immortal.

So you're creating a powerful second class vampire who lacks several of your disabilities. Not much upside to that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

We see this carried out in Blade II anyway where they attempt to create a more powerful vampire and it completely backfires.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Any further info on that post-apocalyptic idea for Blade Trinity that someone mentioned earlier in the thread? That sounds so much better than what we got.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Nah, they get clowned because Lighthammer turns and Chupa is an idiot. Also, there's way more of them than they anticipated. Honestly, Del Toro's pretty good at letting you understand why fights turn out particular ways.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Any further info on that post-apocalyptic idea for Blade Trinity that someone mentioned earlier in the thread? That sounds so much better than what we got.

It was basically I Am Legend but with Blade.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Killing Donnie Yen off-camera. Shameful, Blade 2. Shameful.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, they get clowned because Lighthammer turns and Chupa is an idiot. Also, there's way more of them than they anticipated. Honestly, Del Toro's pretty good at letting you understand why fights turn out particular ways.

How can there be more than anticipated when the head vampire guys give them a seminar on how fast they multiply and how many there will be?

They say this new weapon vaporizes vampires even reapers instantly, equip everyone with it, and no one thinks to use it until the very very end when it's time for the scene to end so Blade sets off some UV grenades and takes care of the entire infestation singlehandedly.*

I love Del Toro a lot but that entire scene is dumb filler.

*While shouting "You have no idea who you are loving with!" which they chose to use in the film's tv spots, changing the loving to "messing."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 11, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well maybe they were banking on the Reapers following the Inverse Ninja law, which they did. Despite being super-vampires, they act like retarded zombies for 90% of the movie.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Snowman_McK posted:

i don't get why the chick vampire just submitted to the reaper instead of fighting with all she had
i enjoyed the film but that just had me scratching my head, unless i missed a line of dialogue or something

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Two Finger posted:

i don't get why the chick vampire just submitted to the reaper instead of fighting with all she had
i enjoyed the film but that just had me scratching my head, unless i missed a line of dialogue or something

Wasn't that Reaper her lover-turne- Reaper? I think it was a crushing emotional defeat.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
More like brother. I feel like she felt it was her duty to end the dynasty.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Helsing posted:

I know this post was made a while ago but I just wanted to chime in and agree that this quote really helps explain why the first Blade has a more restrained and dark tone than the sequels. Basically there were people around who were willing to say 'no, gently caress that' to David S. Goyer's terrible script writing.

I recently re-watched Blade II and while it will always have a soft spot in my heart because of how much I liked it as a 15 year old I was really struck, after more than a decade, by how overwhelmingly dumb the entire plot of the movie was and how hokey and silly the action scenes were. Revisiting the series after many years I find that only the first movie actually holds up as a classic 90s action movie. The sequel has its moments but it's a lot sillier and less coherent.

Blade II is good; but I agree its nowhere near as good as the first one. Blade I was just an incredibly stylish movie much in the same way like John Wick. The opening rave, the extremely sped up intervals when chasing that familiar in the police car, the melee scenes, the asian nightclub, etc. It was just so well done. It's gothic style and use of trench coats is notable for preceding the first Matrix as well.

Nomak was great, but he still couldn't hold a candle to that incredibly :smug: swagger of Frost.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Blade came out when I was in high school. They played that New Order remix so much at the clubs that year. It's a loving great remix too, even though it's completely different from the original which is also a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udn51qJwDvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_L_-CKg6pw

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Two Finger posted:

Snak posted:

Wasn't that Reaper her lover-turne- Reaper? I think it was a crushing emotional defeat.

Golbez posted:

More like brother. I feel like she felt it was her duty to end the dynasty.

You are both right. There are two cases of "chick vampires" not fighting.

One is Lighthammer's lover, the redhead who does about as much as any of the other useless vamps in the hit squad. She just whimpers and dies.
The other one is the princess-type, daughter of the ancient blue smurf Vampire, she sees how Blade was betrayed and everyone got killed because her father is a manipulative liar and thinks her brother deserves to end the whole bloodline.

I watched all three Blade movies last weekend.
First one holds up great.
Seconds one is typically Del Toro; a jumbled mess with tons of great ideas that get executed very poorly leaving it a disappointing experience.
Third one is aggressively trying to be edgy while having a Transformers-like disconnect between what is happening on-screen and what Dracula says.

In Transformers the whole "Honor till the end!" line while stabbing someone in the back just doesn't mash, same with the "You are free now, fight for me or die!" stuff. Here you have Dracula commending Blade on how he is a true warrior like him, living by the sword and only they understand this honor. He does this after desperately running away and only escaping when he kidnaps a baby and throws it off a rooftop. Then he goes and kidnaps a little girl, using her as bait.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also did you notice how Goyer deliberately shoots and lights the early scenes in part 3 like Blade 1 and then Blade 2?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Neo Rasa posted:

Also did you notice how Goyer deliberately shoots and lights the early scenes in part 3 like Blade 1 and then Blade 2?

The whole opening scene in Blade 3 feels like someone trying to one-up the opening of Blade 2. Oh, you fought guys on motorcycles before? Well, this time there are more of them, and a car, and guns, and you have a Knight Rider truck

Now that I think about it. His hideout also gets found and invaded, again. Not a few vamps or some assassins now, but a whole army. Then a second time by Dracula.
Whistler getting killed again was also kinda funny.

I also noticed that Nomak doesn't just have a similar mouth, but when he scampers away across the wall after fighting Blade on the scaffolding in the church it looks exactly like the big bad guy doing that at the end of the superbly lovely first season of the Strain. Another Del Toro thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The fact that Whistler dies fighting human cops is basically unforgivable and indicates early on how poo poo the movie is.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just read through the entire thread and I A. really want to rewatch Blade and B. hope the scene by scene isn't dead.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

XIII posted:

I just read through the entire thread and I A. really want to rewatch Blade and B. hope the scene by scene isn't dead.

It is not, I just was doing 12 hour work days for the past two weeks. I should be back to a human schedule really soon.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Great to hear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BioTech posted:

You are both right. There are two cases of "chick vampires" not fighting.

One is Lighthammer's lover, the redhead who does about as much as any of the other useless vamps in the hit squad. She just whimpers and dies.
The other one is the princess-type, daughter of the ancient blue smurf Vampire, she sees how Blade was betrayed and everyone got killed because her father is a manipulative liar and thinks her brother deserves to end the whole bloodline.

I watched all three Blade movies last weekend.
First one holds up great.
Seconds one is typically Del Toro; a jumbled mess with tons of great ideas that get executed very poorly leaving it a disappointing experience.
Third one is aggressively trying to be edgy while having a Transformers-like disconnect between what is happening on-screen and what Dracula says.

In Transformers the whole "Honor till the end!" line while stabbing someone in the back just doesn't mash, same with the "You are free now, fight for me or die!" stuff. Here you have Dracula commending Blade on how he is a true warrior like him, living by the sword and only they understand this honor. He does this after desperately running away and only escaping when he kidnaps a baby and throws it off a rooftop. Then he goes and kidnaps a little girl, using her as bait.

The third film has that terrible scene right when they bust Blade out and their driver dude just roll sup in his lovely truck, runs right through the police barricades, jumps out and yells "WHOOP! COME ON!" and they all manage to get in the truck and drive away while the police that are like 5 feet away manage to not land a single shot.

I hate Blade 3.

• Locked thread