Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

SetiYeti posted:

What was the fix for this? My White March areas are doing the same thing.

Careful downloading the right patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Scorchy posted:

Careful downloading the right patch.
Yeah, that happened to me when I installed the 2.01 patch for the base game. It worked but the White March wasn't white any more and basically everything added by the expansion got hosed up somehow. The Enigma's Charm animation was purple squares rotating through the caster, for example.

Back up your saves before installing the expansion patch, mine got corrupted at some point, but I think that's because the GOG expansion patch wasn't working properly at the time, which I'd assume is fixed by now.

Nycticeius posted:

Whaddya mean?
sassassin was talking about Maerwald.

quote:

True, but that's a nitpick, IMO.
Yeah, I just meant to say I'm not surprised some people never found the option.

quote:

Really? I need to start playing it soon!
You only get to throw knives in a betting minigame.

I'm sorry.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There's a special conversation option you get on another map if you earn the Flick of the Wrist Talent from Orlan's Head. :kiddo:

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Wizard Styles posted:

sassassin was talking about Maerwald.

Ops, indeed he was, guess I too lack some reading comprehension. Not ironic, but funny nonetheless.

Wizard Styles posted:

You only get to throw knives in a betting minigame.

I'm sorry.

poo poo. Well, at least

rope kid posted:

There's a special conversation option you get on another map if you earn the Flick of the Wrist Talent from Orlan's Head. :kiddo:

we have this. :) And the talent too, apparently.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You can earn a talent from that?

Back to playing I guess. The one Orlan that was in that place is now in my dungeon anyway, so nobody's even there to be offended.

rope kid posted:

They are amalgamations of soul energy given a physical form, not actual people/creatures. When they are destroyed or dismissed, they dissolve back into soul energy fragments diffused in the Between.
Wait, does that mean when I bought Edér the Cloak of the Fox and Hunter, he didn't actually get his own pet?

:(

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah there are minor Talents you can earn from Orlan's Head and the Dozen dice game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

rope kid posted:

Yes, and once ogre clans get large enough, it's difficult for the matriarch to keep them all in line, so they often either fall apart or split off into new clans that fight with the old ones.

That wouldn't happen if they put a man in charge.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

rope kid posted:

Yeah there are minor Talents you can earn from Orlan's Head and the Dozen dice game.

Isn't Orlan's Head 100% random? I don't get how it works, I won the first two handily and then lost 30 in a row.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

As long as you're around Rope Kid, I'm kind of curious about what magic/wizardry actually are in Eora. It's not a question that really comes up in something like Forgotten Realms, but when you have a "scientific" study of magical forces (animancy) it begs the question of what plain jane magic study involves, especially when the two categories seem to overlap in a field like necromancy. Animancy studies souls, obviously, so is it safe to assume that wizardry is concerned with some similar-but-distinct animating energy that permeates everywhere? I hope that the question makes sense.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I was getting by ok on hard with my main guy as a cipher, aloth, eder, kana, durance and pellgina. Some fights were tricky (for example the rogue nights and the first time I fought fampyrs in the endless path beneath my stronghold) but most of the time I could get by fine.

Then I recruited the druid guy with the eyepatch whose name escapes me right now and the grieving mother (who is really well written by the way) and now the game is easy as gently caress. I've got mother as a ranged cipher with a rod and she has endless focus points to spam mind wave and paralyses/stuns.

I'm actually thinking of purposely going back to my old party to make it more of a challenge except I like the personalities of the new guys more.

Maybe I will attempt a triple crown run for a real challenge. Does anybody have any pointers on the best way to do that? I'm thinking rogue/monk or maybe priest might be able to do it. I quite like the idea of avoiding combat and always going for peaceful/safe resolutions for quests.

Mr Cuddles fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 11, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

Ha, I only needed one more win to get it.

No idea what to do about the dice game, I'm gonna go check around if there's some way to make the guy not cheat his rear end off I guess. Or cheat yourself, that would be even better.

Also, holy poo poo, fights against big groups of lagufaeth can get out of hand quickly.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 11, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Turn it up to PotD already! No reason to still be on hard if things are too easy for you.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

GlyphGryph posted:

Turn it up to PotD already! No reason to still be on hard if things are too easy for you.

I tried but you can't turn it up to PotD mid game. It has to be a new game.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

That wouldn't happen if they put a man in charge.
How so?

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Because it was a joke (I think and hope)

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Basic Chunnel posted:

an ogre matriarch is holed up with her clan near Durgan's Battery

Not anymore.
:colbert:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Mr Cuddles posted:

Because it was a joke (I think and hope)
Last time I was ready to give the benefit of the doubt to someone, it turned out that no, they indeed thought that it was unnatural and "not perfect" for female Orlans to be taller than the males.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Azran posted:

Isn't Orlan's Head 100% random? I don't get how it works, I won the first two handily and then lost 30 in a row.
Aiming at the nose vs. the ears changes the percentage chance that you'll hit different parts of the face. I believe a higher Accuracy adds to your die roll, making it more likely that you'll actually hit what you're aiming at. The ears are easier to hit than the nose, but if you miss the ears, you may miss the head entirely. If you miss the nose, you get skin, which is worth the lowest value (other than missing entirely, of course).

Fuligin posted:

As long as you're around Rope Kid, I'm kind of curious about what magic/wizardry actually are in Eora. It's not a question that really comes up in something like Forgotten Realms, but when you have a "scientific" study of magical forces (animancy) it begs the question of what plain jane magic study involves, especially when the two categories seem to overlap in a field like necromancy. Animancy studies souls, obviously, so is it safe to assume that wizardry is concerned with some similar-but-distinct animating energy that permeates everywhere? I hope that the question makes sense.
Almost all forms of magic rely on using either an individual's soul as a power source (replenished by soul fragments) or on gathering/invoking power from a bunch of soul fragments. The very Weave-like idea is that whenever someone dies, a bunch of their memories usually fracture off into tiny shards. Whether their soul moves immediately through the Between to the Beyond or it hangs around in the Between as a Lost Soul, those fragments are just flitting around. Chanters and wizards both use those fragments directly, the former by evoking ancestral memories of common stories, the latter by drawing them into a grimoire.

In our various updates and in-game lore, we've said that wizardly spellcasting is a discipline that involves learning various techniques for drawing soul fragments from the Between into a grimoire, then shaping and releasing the energy of those fragments to produce the desired effect.

Animancy is something entirely different. An animancer typically uses mechanical processes to achieve an effect. I.e., an animancer neither needs to use their own soul nor directly (personally) manipulate soul energy to achieve an effect. That's why animancers' labs are almost always filled with weird devices.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

rope kid posted:

In our various updates and in-game lore, we've said that wizardly spellcasting is a discipline that involves learning various techniques for drawing soul fragments from the Between into a grimoire, then shaping and releasing the energy of those fragments to produce the desired effect.

That is a conceit which definitely leads to a better conception of a Wizard's limited resources than 'after I cast this spell it disappears from my spellbook and I just forget how it works until I can rest and spend 8 hours trying to remember it'.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Kind of super aggravated I find this awesome adventure with a underground cult at Dyrwood village, then at the end of it I have the option of killing a incestuous rear end in a top hat after I've killed the cultist and set the girl free then I get a huge debuff in standing at Defiance Bay , now I think my quest with the Knights is hosed up cause when I got back I killed a bunch of soul imbued armor, but I never got the option from the Lord to represent the Knights at the Animancy trials :(

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Kind of super aggravated I find this awesome adventure with a underground cult at Dyrwood village, then at the end of it I have the option of killing a incestuous rear end in a top hat after I've killed the cultist and set the girl free then I get a huge debuff in standing at Defiance Bay , now I think my quest with the Knights is hosed up cause when I got back I killed a bunch of soul imbued armor, but I never got the option from the Lord to represent the Knights at the Animancy trials :(

Choices... and consequences.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
This is a massive nitpick, but my only real issue with the game is the lack of XP for kills (other than bestiary entries) in certain situations. There are some seriously hard fights in the mega-dungeon under the strong hold and while there is some great loot too, it's conceivable that I could have gone up a few levels as well. This would have been even more satisfying after spending about 8 hours real-time adopting a scorched earth policy on the entire dungeon. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You should get XP for taking damage. I'm serious. "That which does not kill you" and all that. The only need for characters to be high level is to survive, so the best way of ensuring a steady and fair progression of levels, give out XP based on how much trouble the fight was.

Obviously this could be abused in seriously stupid ways, but then again, nobody sane cares about "cheating" in single player games.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Character levels and experience points are a disease on games.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Hollismason posted:

When you say you killed some soul-imbued armors, is this outside of their keep? Did you go in to see what's going on?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kobogartimer posted:

Character levels and experience points are a disease on games.

Mmm. Indeed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
*nods sagely in silent understanding*

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Works for Monster Hunter series

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The smartest way to do exp and character levels has always been "Event" based. That way you get the same reward for killing, persuading, or avoiding because experience is only rewarded at milestones and quest completion.

This gives players the option of playing the game they want rather than the binary choice of killing everything for the most exp.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

If you were supposed to question killing stuff I never really felt it. But like mentioned above, I never really felt like I was going insane either, which was clearly intended, so I dunno!

As many others have said, there were options available to avoid conflict with the drunks confronting Aloth. Most of the quests are ambiguous, as well. Without a high resolve you can't get an ideal resolution between the Miller and the drunk, and end up just bullying one party; there's really no happy ending for Aufra, Callista's sister, whether you lie or not; aiding Kolsc means murdering at least a few - if not many - of Raedric's priests or vassals, to say nothing of Kolsc's true intentions; that guy who was goaded into the bear cave was actually beating his wife and kind of a dick.

And these are all just examples in Gilded Vale. There are very few 'kill these True Evil characters and save my farm!' type quests that force you to murder something or else it just sits in your quest log. Hell you can negotiate with the lich in the sewers of Defiance Bay, and it probably can't get more canonically evil than that. If you absolutely have to kill someone you almost always get to choose to kill the original questgiver instead (usually for lying to or misleading you), so at the very least you are forced to think about why every god drat quest giver is a lying sack of poo poo.

Similarly, the game frequently pops up spooky ghosts of guys on torture racks and being burned at the stake. You see other ghosts wandering around at the edges of the fog on certain maps, and some NPCs (e.g. Grieving Mother, every backer-written NPC) are able to immediately send you into a trance.

I agree the urgency was questionable, but the PC is losing their grip on reality in noticeable ways.

Tellah fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 12, 2015

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
One more thought: Why can't I use Shadowing Beyond out of combat? Surely the quintessential use for a rogue is to sneak up behind <insert powerful enemy here> and unleash Sneak Attack, Deathblows and Backstab thereby initiating combat with a massive advantage?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Tellah posted:

that guy who was goaded into the bear cave was actually beating his wife and kind of a dick.

Is there any confirmation of that, or is it just what his wife tells you in order to try to get you not to murder her and her lover (or to turn them in, the threat of which causes both of them to try to murder you). Maybe he was beating her, maybe he wasn't. All I know for sure is the dude got murdered by his friend who was very likely loving his wife behind his back.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

binarysmurf posted:

One more thought: Why can't I use Shadowing Beyond out of combat? Surely the quintessential use for a rogue is to sneak up behind <insert powerful enemy here> and unleash Sneak Attack, Deathblows and Backstab thereby initiating combat with a massive advantage?

You can just stealth?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

how the gently caress are you supposed to build/use the monk companion, he dies so loving fast every fight

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

frajaq posted:

how the gently caress are you supposed to build/use the monk companion, he dies so loving fast every fight
If Zahua is dying quickly it's because you're tanking him or whoever you're using to tank is doing a poo poo job. Monks have to be used wisely - they fold quickly when mobbed but are practically unmatched in one-on-one melee. if you're not directing his single-target control abilities yourself, turn on his AI - it will use his wound reserve much faster than you can. If you've got a tank, an off-tank, and a monk, the monk cleans house. Also, buff his constitution / endurance as much as possible (powergamers maintain that these stats are useless but they lack imagination and always will). I have him in padded armor and he survives just fine.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 12, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oh, the other thing - give him the talent that reduces wound threshold and allows him to build them up quicker.

The monk AI is pretty well put-together, I must say. Provided it's not getting caught in the tank role it's incredibly effective, prioritizing targets and disabling them (with those long-rear end monk effects), then immediately moving on to the next one. On higher difficulties there's typically some mook around to tag disengagement, which the AI deliberately invites in order to load one in the chamber, so to speak. Zahua blitzing casters never gets old.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Totally hooked on the game now btw. Just played for a few hours, got passed the Animancy Trials, but not before exploring two huge dungeons, killed a dragon, rapelled down a cliff stole a ring, then found another dungeon on one of the maps.

I dig the hell out of Cyphers.

How do I make Grieving mother better? She's already kind of good but doesn't seem to do much damage with that cross bow.

Also, found some crazy underground Lair in I the STone Gulch on the way to Elmshore and it had this kind of bizzare room where it told you to stand on things. No matter where I stood it did nothing.

What are some better Weapon Focuses for Eder, right now he's dual wielding a Saber and this Skinning knife of awesomeness. I think the Saber is Resolution. He's specialized Ruffian for Sabers.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm playing a potd monk and lesser wounds is a waste of a talent unless you want a wound-hoarding Turning wheel build imo.

I'm playing with 7 con and standard wounds are fine. When I need to spam Force of anguish, I can.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

binarysmurf posted:

This is a massive nitpick, but my only real issue with the game is the lack of XP for kills (other than bestiary entries) in certain situations. There are some seriously hard fights in the mega-dungeon under the strong hold and while there is some great loot too, it's conceivable that I could have gone up a few levels as well. This would have been even more satisfying after spending about 8 hours real-time adopting a scorched earth policy on the entire dungeon. :)

Combat should make you better at combat. Quests should only grant financial and social rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Hollismason posted:

Also, found some crazy underground Lair in I the STone Gulch on the way to Elmshore and it had this kind of bizzare room where it told you to stand on things. No matter where I stood it did nothing.

This one drove me nuts for a while, but during a replay I discovered that it actually ties into one of the faction quests leading up to the hearings. So odds are, you didn't choose the faction who specifically would have sent you there to complete a task. It also involves one of the NPC's in that very same dungeon, and your ability to complete what you are attempting hinges entirely on how you deal with them.

• Locked thread