Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
F.E.A.R.: Few games match the satisfaction achieved in trashing some random jerk's office equipment in FEAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

StandardVC10 posted:

F.E.A.R.: Few games match the satisfaction achieved in trashing some random jerk's office equipment in FEAR.

There was a platformer for the PS2 called Whiplash about two animal testing subjects trying to escape the headquarters of the company that was experimentig on them, it was mostly forgettable but one of its big gimmicks was that you were trying to bring the company's net worth down to $0 by destroying everything in the building and the levels had tons of office and laboratory equipment to smash apart. I always wish another, better game tried to copy that mechanic because it made destroying everything in sight and watching the millions of dollars slowly tick down as you played so satisfying.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

On quite a few animal bios Ocelot gives to you, he specifically tells you to not eat them. I guess he knew all about Snake Eater.

I would hope he knew, considering he was there.

Content! The wall smash move in Mad Max. Oh man I haven't found a more satisfying to end a fight than bullrushing a dude into a wall, giving him a few punches, and the cracking his noggin on the wall. The sound is just so good.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

StandardVC10 posted:

The office had the same logo and TPS reports from Office Space, didn't it?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

As fun as that was I always love shooting a stake at some guys face then hitting slo mo and slowly hearing him scream " oooooooooohhhh ffffuuuuuuuuuucccckkkk" .

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In Warframe there are 3 basic damage types: Slash, puncture and impact.
The first bow weapon did high puncture damage that would pin space pirates to the wall. Later, they released one that did mostly slash. Its arrows would slice people in two and easily decapitate even the big guys. What I like is that the arrow head isn't a point, it's a fanned blade.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ElwoodCuse posted:

The office had the same logo and TPS reports from Office Space, didn't it?

There are TPS reports all over the place, and at least one red stapler also. Look carefully at the mailers, and they're addressed to Monolith Productions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm going to be that dick who can't shut up about mgsv and say it does this sense of physicality really well. Fighting in close quarters is rare, but you end up jumping around the room, throwing each other against furniture etc, its very good

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
There is a great deal of joy to making the logo creator say stupid things. None can stand against the mercenary army of

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Well, misinformation is the greatest espionage tactic

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

This image contains at least three of my favorite little things in games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When do you get to customize guns?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

There is a chain of three Side Ops about finding a legendary gunsmith. Gun customization unlocks after the third one.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can use just about anything you actually have researched, and many of the items (scopes, stocks, muzzles) are interchangeable between different types of guns.'

Plus, on the PC version, there's a bug that lets you put any item you want in any location on any gun, so you can have stupid poo poo like an underbarrel rifle stock on your silenced LMG-magazine rocket launcher w/optical zoom rifle scope and side-mount shotgun

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

When do you get to customize guns?

Shortly after you start doing stuff in Africa. Once you get the customization stuff it lets you do things like combine weapons to put grenade launchers and shotguns on assault rifles. It also lets you just put suppressors on anything.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
I think I accidentally shot the gunsmith in the head and the mission didn't show back up. Will I get another chance?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Trainmonk posted:

I think I accidentally shot the gunsmith in the head and the mission didn't show back up. Will I get another chance?
yes

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Whenever I buy MGSV, my merc army will be called Motherboy XXX. Or near as possible.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

Whenever I buy MGSV, my merc army will be called Motherboy XXX. Or near as possible.

Mine's named 69 Chick and I'm pretty happy with it.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Sleeveless posted:

There was a platformer for the PS2 called Whiplash about two animal testing subjects trying to escape the headquarters of the company that was experimentig on them, it was mostly forgettable but one of its big gimmicks was that you were trying to bring the company's net worth down to $0 by destroying everything in the building and the levels had tons of office and laboratory equipment to smash apart. I always wish another, better game tried to copy that mechanic because it made destroying everything in sight and watching the millions of dollars slowly tick down as you played so satisfying.

The 2009 Ghostbusters game had a running counter of how much property damage you caused, with an achievement for staying under $100,000 worth of damages, and another for doing over $3,000,000.

Speaking of property damage and achievements, the Saints Row series has a minigame called Mayhem where the goal is to chain together the destruction of just about everything to reach a certain amount of money. In the first two games, the best strategy was to focus on fences, as each segment was separate and built up your chain bonus fast. Saint Row the Third pays homage to this by having the achievement for fully completing the Mayhem activity be called "Fence Killa 2011".

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
When City of Villains came out, it introduced a new kind of randomly-generated mission: mayhem missions. You'd go into an instanced version of a section of Paragon City, with your objective being to rob a bank, but with a bunch of side objectives like setting fires or busting fellow villains out of jail to add time to the mission clock. One of these side objectives was vandalism: blowing up cars, fire hydrants, cardboard boxes, and so on.

The way I hear it, the intention was that these objects would scale in level like everything else in the game, but instead they had fixed levels... and even the most difficult to destroy objects had a fairly low level. Which meant that, when you got to high levels of supervillainy, you could absolutely trash your surroundings, giving you a feeling of increasing power that, sadly, not a lot of the rest of the game had (thanks to the aforementioned content scaling). Thankfully, they didn't patch it out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah and if you had a damage aura and superspeed you could zoom around in a minute and take out every small-medium object before the first fight.

gently caress I miss that game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gann Jerrod posted:

The 2009 Ghostbusters game had a running counter of how much property damage you caused, with an achievement for staying under $100,000 worth of damages, and another for doing over $3,000,000.

Speaking of property damage and achievements, the Saints Row series has a minigame called Mayhem where the goal is to chain together the destruction of just about everything to reach a certain amount of money. In the first two games, the best strategy was to focus on fences, as each segment was separate and built up your chain bonus fast. Saint Row the Third pays homage to this by having the achievement for fully completing the Mayhem activity be called "Fence Killa 2011".

I have both of those GB achievements and holy gently caress was it hard to get, there are certain areas where destroying even a single thing would be like 200,000 or some poo poo, mostly in the museum, you had to be very careful with your shots.

gently caress I wanna play that game again, it was so drat good.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

FredMSloniker posted:

When City of Villains came out, it introduced a new kind of randomly-generated mission: mayhem missions. You'd go into an instanced version of a section of Paragon City, with your objective being to rob a bank, but with a bunch of side objectives like setting fires or busting fellow villains out of jail to add time to the mission clock. One of these side objectives was vandalism: blowing up cars, fire hydrants, cardboard boxes, and so on.

I love the idea of, like, Doctor Doom running around kicking people's mailboxes over.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thinky Whale posted:

I love the idea of, like, Doctor Doom running around kicking people's mailboxes over.

The City of Heroes equivalent, Safeguard Missions, had you going in to stop a villain from robbing a bank. The villain that would spawn as the boss actually scaled up dependent on your level and team size, so by the end you actually did get the big signature villains robbing a local bank vault. I don't think the Doom parallel spawned, but I know his lieutenants did; half of them would definitely not be the bank robbing sort, so it had an extra layer of humor.

Saint's Row's Mayhems were actually pretty directly inspired by City of Villains'. The whole series borrows from it, actually, to the point where they named one of the characters in 3 and 4 after CoH's lead dev, Matt Miller. Miller's superpowered outfit in 4 looks to be based vaguely off of some CoH costumes, too.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

Saint's Row's Mayhems were actually pretty directly inspired by City of Villains'. The whole series borrows from it, actually, to the point where they named one of the characters in 3 and 4 after CoH's lead dev, Matt Miller. Miller's superpowered outfit in 4 looks to be based vaguely off of some CoH costumes, too.

Oh, is that Matt Miller named after him? It's such a generic name, I figured it was a coincidence.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gann Jerrod posted:

And not only that, the intro clip for Mayhem specifically mentions that you're going after a fence company.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I want to say Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had a count of how much damage you did. God I wish they'd make another one of those. I've mentioned it before in this thread but it is top tier as far as superhero games go. Hell, freeroaming games in general. Elbow dropping tanks and knocking down buildings.

Superman Returns was a lovely game but I loved the flying mechanics about it. Mainly because if you got up high and got up enough speed you'd break the sound barrier and create a sonic boom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I want to say Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had a count of how much damage you did. God I wish they'd make another one of those. I've mentioned it before in this thread but it is top tier as far as superhero games go. Hell, freeroaming games in general. Elbow dropping tanks and knocking down buildings.

Superman Returns was a lovely game but I loved the flying mechanics about it. Mainly because if you got up high and got up enough speed you'd break the sound barrier and create a sonic boom.

Superman Returns had really fun flying mechanics. It was the thing that carried me through the game.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Hulk: UD was the best superhero game ever until the current champion of Batman Arkham City came along. Smashing box trucks down and using them as a skateboard never got old.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MindlessHavok posted:

I don't have a next gen console and my computer is garbage. Graphics aside, how does MGSV on 360 stack up to the next gen versions? I assume the graphics are worse but is there any actual content missing?

I've got it on the 360 (i'm poor and I couldn't wait, also didn't want the game being spoiled) and I'm loving it, got the day one edition and you get a ballistic shield (haven't used that very much) an mgo xp boost (not online so useless for now) a desert cardboard box (massively useful, use it all the time)a lovely gun called adamska that takes the mick out of ocelot in mgs3 but is otherwise rubbish, and some blue camouflage for swamp and marshes(hasn't come in useful yet)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

Hulk: UD was the best superhero game ever until the current champion of Batman Arkham City came along. Smashing box trucks down and using them as a skateboard never got old.

The lack of other good superhero games is starting to bug me. The Batman in the Arkham games is kinda really uninteresting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The same people made Prototype, and it had a counter on the post-mission screen of how much government money had been spent on the military task force deployed against you.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

I liked stealth hulk, where you would take a bus or something and mash it over your head, then crouch around like solid snake in a box.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm 81 hours into MGSV, and I've finished the story. So I'm like drat 81 hours, still a ton of content to play around with, what a... Wait what? Chapter 2? Wait all this was just the first chapter? And new gameplay mechanics? "Boss you can now develop nuclear warheads."

The gently caress did you just say?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The lack of other good superhero games is starting to bug me. The Batman in the Arkham games is kinda really uninteresting.

Infamous 1 and 2 own. I like them more than Arkham City, even.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vic posted:

I'm 81 hours into MGSV, and I've finished the story. So I'm like drat 81 hours, still a ton of content to play around with, what a... Wait what? Chapter 2? Wait all this was just the first chapter? And new gameplay mechanics? "Boss you can now develop nuclear warheads."

The gently caress did you just say?

They're for FOBs, and it basically means you can't be invaded unless the invader has 150000 heroism and if they fail, you can completely wipe their fob off the phase of the earth. They cost a metric shitload of gmp and a literal day of playing to develop.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Or you can sneak onto other people's bases, dismantle their nukes, gain a shitload of heroism and sell the remains for mad profit.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
I keep hearing about demon points. Making a nuke gives you like 50,000 demon points. Stealing and disarming other player's nukes lowers it a bit.

Might be a troll hoax, 4chan isn't too reliable. Anybody have any first hand experience? Probably just photoshops of a longer 'horn' on Snake. I'm hoping its not true because I am not a sneaky guy. I snipe loudly, I use rockets, and I kill everybody who doesn't have at least a B in something.

Arx Monolith has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arx Monolith posted:

I keep hearing about demon points. Making a nuke gives you like 50,000 demon points. Stealing and disarming other player's nukes lowers it a bit.

Might be a troll hoax, 4chan isn't too reliable. Anybody have any first hand experience? Probably just photoshops of a longer 'horn' on Snake. I'm hoping its not true because I am not a sneaky guy. I snipe loudly, I use rockets, and I kill everybody who doesn't have at least a B in something.

It's not a hoax.