Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mr Cuddles posted:

Maybe I will attempt a triple crown run for a real challenge.

I wouldn't recommend Triple Crown as the first attempt at Path of the Damned. The difficulty jump from hard is massive (not in an impossible way, you just need to pay a lot more attention) and attempting that with Trial of Iron enabled would probably get quite frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hollismason posted:

How do I make Grieving mother better? She's already kind of good but doesn't seem to do much damage with that cross bow.

What are some better Weapon Focuses for Eder, right now he's dual wielding a Saber and this Skinning knife of awesomeness. I think the Saber is Resolution. He's specialized Ruffian for Sabers.
Ranged weapons do less damage than melee and crossbows aren't that great, so that's probably it. If you want her to do a lot of damage and build Focus quickly, give her the two Whip Talents, Savage Attack, Vulnerable Attack and Two-Weapon Style, then let her dual-wield whatever good weapons you've got on hand. Going for two-handed weapons so you can switch to a reach weapon is the safer option and will also avoid having party members get in each other's way in a melee-heavy party, but will do slightly less damage and result in longer recovery times, which means she won't be able to fire off Powers as quickly once she reaches the Focus needed.
If you want her to stay ranged, lead with a gun or arbalest, then switch to something else. War Bows generally work well, but it's gonna depend on what you've got. In this case I'd take the Whip talents, the baby Sneak Attack one and Penetrating Shot. Also, keep a Wand or Scepter around to deal with damage immunities.

Ruffian is great for dual-wielders, I've had Edér using Resolution and the Draining Stiletto you find in Caed Nua ever since I got them.

Edit: Usually I'd say not to restrict yourself to one weapon group, but if you're building Edér for DPS it's worth picking up at least the damage bonus abilities he can get.

sassassin posted:

I'm playing a potd monk and lesser wounds is a waste of a talent unless you want a wound-hoarding Turning wheel build imo.

I'm playing with 7 con and standard wounds are fine. When I need to spam Force of anguish, I can.
I took Lesser Wounds at some point because the Monk was in a party with the CC trifecta of Wizard, Druid and Cipher, so wound generation slowed down around midgame since there weren't always enemies around to hurt him that weren't paralyzed, prone, confused, stunned or whatever. And I was using Torment's Reach whenever I possibly could, so the Monk was burning through a lot of wounds per fight. I'd still prioritize other things, but at level 8 it may be worth taking. Monks have many good talent options, though, so maybe even later.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 12, 2015

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Scorchy posted:

You can just stealth?

Even with a 12 Stealth I still get spotted before I get into melee range. I'll adjust my tactics.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Just finished the game. Definitely the best cRPG I've ever played. Will be picking up both expansions when they hit the MAS. Crossing fingers for POE2.

Rope kid... Awesome job.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

drgnvale posted:

Maybe he was beating her, maybe he wasn't. All I know for sure is the dude got murdered by his friend who was very likely loving his wife behind his back.

There's no way to confirm anything they say, as far as I know. So yeah, maybe that dude was just getting cuckolded and then got murdered to boot. :(

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
All I know for sure is that the bears acted in self-defense and don't deserve to die.

binarysmurf posted:

Even with a 12 Stealth I still get spotted before I get into melee range. I'll adjust my tactics.
Yeah, I had some success with Stealth earlier in the game but higher level enemies just spot the Devil on the way in. And she's got the skill at 13 or 14 by now.

Also, now that I've finally got it it seems like Backstab doesn't work with Finishing Blows. A major setback, now it seems like her maximum single-attack damage may be capped at around 500.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm level 9 right now should I get the expansion? I'd rather play the expansion in hopes to get another saber. Duel Sabers for Eder :). He does some serious damage with the Sabers.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wizard Styles posted:

All I know for sure is that the bears acted in self-defense and don't deserve to die.

I dunno, there are a lot of bones in that cave. Like way more than you would get from unwary travellers passing through the arse end of nowhere. Literal piles of human skulls.

Those bears were up to some shady poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My White March playthrough, I'm one of those "Clever/Passionate" Paladins, and I never took the Passionate responses before because most of them are hilarious/naive, but I'm finding the concept of Mal from Firefly as a Paladin to be drat amusing.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Hollismason posted:

I'm level 9 right now should I get the expansion? I'd rather play the expansion in hopes to get another saber. Duel Sabers for Eder :). He does some serious damage with the Sabers.

You're at about the right level for it, if a little high. There's also a pretty good saber you get almost immediately in the expansion!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

precision posted:

My White March playthrough, I'm one of those "Clever/Passionate" Paladins, and I never took the Passionate responses before because most of them are hilarious/naive, but I'm finding the concept of Mal from Firefly as a Paladin to be drat amusing.

I got Benevolent 1 by threatening some people and then killing them. It's a strange system.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

sassassin posted:

I got Benevolent 1 by threatening some people and then killing them. It's a strange system.

My first playthrough as a Goldpact Paladin was fraught with cagey attempts to remain 'stoic'. I still don't know what that word - nor the word 'passionate' - means in this universe.

I would have been happier with a toggle to allow me to see what responses gained disposition credit (for a Paladin or Priest PC at least).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tellah posted:

My first playthrough as a Goldpact Paladin was fraught with cagey attempts to remain 'stoic'. I still don't know what that word - nor the word 'passionate' - means in this universe.

I would have been happier with a toggle to allow me to see what responses gained disposition credit (for a Paladin or Priest PC at least).

Uhh...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Stoic is pretty self explanatory but passionate is basically popping off at every opportunity. Most of the dialog options are threatening people or straight up yelling.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
You can gain passionate points by saying something banal like "I'm going to figure out what's going on here" (see: that svef den quest in Copperlane).

Overall I like the system but it's frustrating in niche cases for characters whose combat abilities can be influenced by the wrong choice. Especially if the wrong choice is so seemingly-innocuous that you didn't realize you made it until you open your character sheet an hour later.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

You can toggle an option that shows disposition markers, I did that for my Bleak Walker run.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hollismason posted:

As much as you seem to like the game I see no reason not to get it so you can use the new talents even if you don't end up doing the expansion content right away. Depending on how much you want to play with the new companions I'd advise you to hold off on going to the new areas until you've done some stuff in Twin Elms, though, and take advantage of the level-scaling option.
Doing the expansion stuff earlier will leave you way overleveled for regular base game enemies, because those don't scale.

Also, you can just buy an exceptional Sabre in Defiance Bay and give it whatever elemental Lash you want.

sassassin posted:

I dunno, there are a lot of bones in that cave. Like way more than you would get from unwary travellers passing through the arse end of nowhere. Literal piles of human skulls.

Those bears were up to some shady poo poo.
Don't blame the bear for moving into one of the stock caves, it's hard enough to find any place at all when you got two cubs to raise all on your own.

Also (expansion pet spoiler):

Really, Edér? What kind of monster do you think I am?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay well I guess that settles it I'll go ahead and buy the expansion as I just hit level 10 . I don't wanna do the expansion then there's no challenge.. I'm just loving around exploring places. Speaking of places. I found this weird place in the Gorge? It's something Lia or whatever. Anyway you go down there and there's a ton of spiders and then you can go further in to another cave. Anyway in there are talking doorway heads, I told them I work best with others. However I now do not know what steps to do.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 12, 2015

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Fuligin posted:

You can toggle an option that shows disposition markers, I did that for my Bleak Walker run.

Oh. :negative:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The only skill check I got that was related to talking was Honest it's only at level 3 to me otherwise my choices are all over the place. Finally got two really great Sabers on Eder. He's a beast who ever suggested going duel wield then focuses on that was right. He can tank and deal a ton of damage.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hollismason posted:

Okay well I guess that settles it I'll go ahead and buy the expansion. I'm just loving around exploring places. Speaking of places. I found this weird place in the Gorge? It's something Lia or whatever. Anyway you go down there and there's a ton of spiders and then you can go further in to another cave. Anyway in there are talking doorway heads, I told them I work best with others. However I now do not know what steps to do.
There's another one of the heads asking you a question. What this all leads to depends on how you deal with an NPC in the cave.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hollismason posted:

Okay well I guess that settles it I'll go ahead and buy the expansion. I'm just loving around exploring places. Speaking of places. I found this weird place in the Gorge? It's something Lia or whatever. Anyway you go down there and there's a ton of spiders and then you can go further in to another cave. Anyway in there are talking doorway heads, I told them I work best with others. However I now do not know what steps to do.
It's part of a weird quest to assemble a weapon. Your answers determine which special modifiers appear on the weapon. The only way to actually complete that quest is to not resolve the dungeon peacefully. If you want the full spoilers then:

The weapon in particular is a unique spear. You probably already have the base model in your inventory, it's called Cladhaliath or something.

For choices:

West Stone Head (on obelisk)
"I bring people together. I'm at my best when working alongside my allies": Coordinating: +4 Accuracy when attacking the same target as an ally, x1.25 Damage when attacking the same target as an ally
"I am consistent and reliable. I can work through any obstacle with patience and dedication": Reliable: +20% of Grazes converted to Hits
"I'm bravest when things are at their worst. I face life's rigors head-on and triumph": Valiant: +10 Accuracy when below 50% Endurance, x1.2 Damage when below 50% endurance
"I let nothing get in the way of what needs to be done. I make the hard choices.": Vicious: x1.2 Damage against Prone, Stunned, Flanked enemies

East Stone Head (on doorway)
"I desire resilience and the ability to draw strength from my struggles.": Draining: 20% of Damage restored as Endurance
"I aim to become a mightier version of who I am today": Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage
"I would inspire those around me and lend my strength to our common purpose.": Marking: +10 Accuracy granted to an ally attacking the same target
"I wish to subdue my foes with my power.": Stunning: Attacks can Stun on Crits

You also need to kill the guy on the lowest level and take a special item from him (an egg or something IIRC?). Resolving this peacefully will prevent you from finishing the weapon quest.

After all of that just interact with the dais/urn. You'll need to have something or someone stand on the runes you selected to proceed through the dais. The urn is just a clickable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rascyc posted:

It's part of a weird quest to assemble a weapon. Your answers determine which special modifiers appear on the weapon. The only way to actually complete that quest is to not resolve the dungeon peacefully. If you want the full spoilers then:

The weapon in particular is a unique spear. You probably already have the base model in your inventory, it's called Cladhaliath or something.

For choices:

West Stone Head (on obelisk)
"I bring people together. I'm at my best when working alongside my allies": Coordinating: +4 Accuracy when attacking the same target as an ally, x1.25 Damage when attacking the same target as an ally
"I am consistent and reliable. I can work through any obstacle with patience and dedication": Reliable: +20% of Grazes converted to Hits
"I'm bravest when things are at their worst. I face life's rigors head-on and triumph": Valiant: +10 Accuracy when below 50% Endurance, x1.2 Damage when below 50% endurance
"I let nothing get in the way of what needs to be done. I make the hard choices.": Vicious: x1.2 Damage against Prone, Stunned, Flanked enemies

East Stone Head (on doorway)
"I desire resilience and the ability to draw strength from my struggles.": Draining: 20% of Damage restored as Endurance
"I aim to become a mightier version of who I am today": Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage
"I would inspire those around me and lend my strength to our common purpose.": Marking: +10 Accuracy granted to an ally attacking the same target
"I wish to subdue my foes with my power.": Stunning: Attacks can Stun on Crits

You also need to kill the guy on the lowest level and take a special item from him (an egg or something IIRC?). Resolving this peacefully will prevent you from finishing the weapon quest.

After all of that just interact with the dais/urn. You'll need to have something or someone stand on the runes you selected to proceed through the dais. The urn is just a clickable.

Ah okay yeah I just killed everything.

Just installed The White March. Gonna play through that over the weekend.

It sucks because I really like my Cypher but that new Rogue is gonna be great.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Hollismason posted:

Ah okay yeah I just killed everything.

Just installed The White March. Gonna play through that over the weekend.

It sucks because I really like my Cypher but that new Rogue is gonna be great.

I'm glad you made this choice, because there is a very very cool saber you'll find sooner or later. It has a unique model and is pretty awesome against enemies that are normally resistant to slash damage.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Man I have no money because I keep rerolling companions. It is a disease

Denzer
May 15, 2009
For anyone who has finished White March;

nm I found it.

Denzer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 12, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Furthering Zahua strategy from earlier, there's a purple amulet that may or may not be randomized but I'm pretty sure it's from the expansion, that adds both a percentage buff to endurance and a flat constitution boost, that's really helpful. I also have him decked out with Gaun's Pledge, fwiw, but I figure most people probably pawn it at some point before they run into him. Veteran's Recovery talent and Kana's beefed up regen aura are both useful as well.

I really love the monk class design because it's more about explicit tradeoffs than any other, build efficacy is a bell curve rather than its inverse. This makes it more traditional but it's a fun contrast anyway. You have to have enough DR and endurance to last in combat, enough damage vulnerability to accumulate wounds, and enough speed to use them. You're basically surfing a wave of incoming damage and you either keep your balance or you wipe out. Ideally I find it works best to wear light armor but pump deflection in whatever way you can, so that you're taking manageable amounts of damage from grazes and gaining wounds.

There are two major builds that I can think of - the obvious one is a sprint skirmisher. Light armor, dual wielding, active ability-focused, picking out targets to go one-on-one with. Pretty early on in the game's life, powergamers more or less decided that more is always better when it comes to armor and that speed doesn't really matter, but the way a monk build like this operates puts the lie to those assumptions. You're taking pretty frequent damage but near-zero recovery time on actions means that you're using wounds a lot faster and can use consumables a lot faster, too. You basically become Balthazar from BG2, knocking dudes across the map and hamstringing groups while the tank draws their focus.

I have Zahua built this way and I've given him the stiletto you can get as a reward from Demoenel in his main hand and that early-game unique club (from the Golden Vale temple, I think?) in his off-hand, both of which get 20% boosts when used on prone or stunned enemies. With stunning fists, the Neo kick, good intelligence and light armor, Zahua tears up just about anything one-on-one in very short order.

The other build, which I haven't tried but seems sensible, is a more traditional off-tank. Heavier armor, emphasis on passive abilities like Turning Wheel and Rooting Pain. Better suited to stave or pike loadouts, dishing out harsher punishment as you take more of it.

One thing I find kind of annoying is that the Long Stride talent only boosts movement speed. I feel like disengagement protection like the lesser utility talent equivalent would make a lot of sense - I don't know the exact deflection penalty for disengagement but it seems like most monk builds would benefit from turning hits into grazes. I suppose heavily armored monks might welcome full hits / crits, but I'm all for any talent that makes lightly armored play more feasible.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 12, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Installed White March

" Go investigate the Wizards tower that's under siege"

" Oh this doesn't look to bad let me put down some traps and then pull this one guy.. . Oh Oh no"

"Ring Leader , Mass Confusion, Sleep, Ring Leader, Mass Confusion , Sleep"

My party didn't wipe completely I salvaged the day with Eder and the Grieving Mother being last , but holy poo poo I did not expect them to pull the entire loving encampment. Tired after that it was just one exhaustive battle.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Re: monks, I just got the expansion and am going to fire it up later today. Keep in mind I'm not really familiar with what's been added in White March so this is all based on vanilla gameplay.

My guy wore heavy armor and played mostly as an off-tank. I dunno why you wouldn't use fists as your go to weapon given the best-in-game base damages and high speed, you do miss out on enchantments but unless your build is based around leveraging special effects from weapon enchants I'd mostly use fists. Torment's Reach is crazy strong, realize that it is a "Full Attack" so strikes with both weapons (or fists) if you're dual-wielding with a +50% damage bonus, in a cone, and the target hits (but not cone) apply on-hit effects. Also a -2 Might debuff which really isn't that exciting, the main thing is it's an incredible way to dump Wounds into damage.

Mostly I would run around stunning, kicking to keep monsters off the back line. I didn't bother with any of the talents that operate on Wound stacking because I have plenty of things to spend them on, just keep up Swift Strikes and spam Torment's Reach when you don't need to spend Wounds on CC.

If you're doing an active ability focused Monk, you really ought to check out Torment's Reach as your primary damage nuke, it rules.

Edit: just to reiterate, using Torment's Reach while dual wielding means you hit with both weapons, at +50% damage each. It's like if you could spam a Paladin's Flames of Devotion but also it does cone AoE damage.

Edit2: oh, another counterintuitive thing about monk builds - Crucible of Suffering says it triggers "when a hostile effect expire" but as far as I can tell it triggers whenever you take damage from an attack as well. So it's a lot better than it might seem at first glance, in effect it's +10 Reflex/Fortitude/Will at all times during combat.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 12, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Finally got into the Battery. Favorite part so far: http://i.imgur.com/g9XDjct.jpg

But drat there are a lot of fights in that place. All those Sirens. That loving teleport. The AoE paralyze. My loving to-hit chance. :shepicide: I'm pretty overleveled for the place, and I'm not unhappy about that at all right now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I did the Ogre conflict with Stalwart quest by negotiating a truce. I noticed in the cavern below filled with Lagufaeth a glowy magic trap, if you trigger it it fails some quest. I reloaded, but does that come into play later or did I just miss a sidequest?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There's a special place in hell for whoever designed Lagufaeth mobs

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I haven't played through PoE since release and have been keeping semi up-to-date with the patches. I know that a lot has changed, at the very least. I'm thinking of playing through the main campaign once more before taking that character on to the White March. I really enjoyed playing a Cipher (at that time they were considered very overpowered) and would like to again, but I'm wondering how they are now compared to the other classes. I'm also wondering if enough has changed within their mechanics to warrant playing one again.

The other classes don't innately appeal to me the way Cipher does, for some reason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I was kind of disappointed in leveling to 12 I thought I was going to get some awesome "uber" abilities, instead i just ended up mostly picking Mental Fortress to prevent charmes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ya once you've got the good general talents, the rest of your picks are just shrugs and raising numbers you probably don't care about very much.

Dorkopotamis posted:

I haven't played through PoE since release and have been keeping semi up-to-date with the patches. I know that a lot has changed, at the very least. I'm thinking of playing through the main campaign once more before taking that character on to the White March. I really enjoyed playing a Cipher (at that time they were considered very overpowered) and would like to again, but I'm wondering how they are now compared to the other classes. I'm also wondering if enough has changed within their mechanics to warrant playing one again.

The other classes don't innately appeal to me the way Cipher does, for some reason.
They're balanced? Not really sure what you are looking for here but they're mostly going to play the same way as you remember them except less spammy with the powers until you crank up their physical damage.

SetiYeti
Feb 19, 2011

Scorchy posted:

Careful downloading the right patch.

Just to complete this, it was from having the base game 2.01 patch but not yet the White March 2.01 patch (which wasn't yet up on GOG when I downloaded White March)

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Dorkopotamis posted:

They're still good, it's just their absurdly overpowered stuff is slightly toned down, and their starting focus has been reduced, so they can't just completely obliterate the battlefield at the start of a fight any more. You'll need to lean into their hitting-things-to-gain-focus mechanics a bit.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also, has perception become a vital stat for anyone who wants to hit things? Even with spells? I don't recall having it be this way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also, has perception become a vital stat for anyone who wants to hit things? Even with spells? I don't recall having it be this way.

Not really. If you could hit things in the old versions you'll still hit them now with 10 perception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dorkopotamis posted:

No, but it allows a character to have a great Accuracy at the price of something else. Choices!

• Locked thread