Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

The vast majority of people regardless of difficulty level have no idea what makes a level fun.

I think Mabel's bigday definitely caught on to this one fast. I want the visual/audio effects. They add such a cinematic panache to the play experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Levels just need to be challenging without being tedious requiring pixel-perfect jumps or just stuffing the levels full of too much crap.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

Levels just need to be challenging without being tedious requiring pixel-perfect jumps or just stuffing the levels full of too much crap.

i try to imagine these levels in a real mario game and its like, well duh no one wants to make world 1, but no one can make worlds 2-6

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

i try to imagine these levels in a real mario game and its like, well duh no one wants to make world 1, but no one can make worlds 2-6
Levels I saw in the last four levels: invisible block level full of traps you can't possibly know about, level that drops spineys from where you can't see them, level where if you touch one of two-dozen flying mushrooms you can't complete the level and have to restart.

It's real bad.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

omg one of the built in levels is just a bunch of wigglers that launch fireworks when you stomp on them

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Levels I saw in the last four levels: invisible block level full of traps you can't possibly know about, level that drops spineys from where you can't see them, level where if you touch one of two-dozen flying mushrooms you can't complete the level and have to restart.

It's real bad.

like every level has so many enemies that you will always earn 3-up when beating a level and they all die at once

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

like every level has so many enemies that you will always earn 3-up when beating a level and they all die at once
Any time you do the 100-Mario Challenge on Normal, the first 9 levels are always giant enemy piles, levels of nothing but stars and coins, or a big pile of the maximum placeable number of enemies.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

I think Mabel's bigday definitely caught on to this one fast. I want the visual/audio effects. They add such a cinematic panache to the play experience.

i just want to make cool gimmick levels for my amiibos

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Wormskull posted:

Oh stuff unlocks faster if you play a lot.

Apparently it's a straight up count of the blocks you've placed so you can copy a big block over and over to do it fast

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just realized you can see where people are dying in your levels if you go to the level list, the little Xs appear on the long map of the level at the top.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

3BFB-0000-0023-F4C1

Pretty happy with how this one turned out

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I really need to get home now. This level in my head is going to be awesome.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I made my first airship level. Please try it.

01E1-0000-0024-44A7

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like a level that challenges me to the limits of my crappy ability, but when I'm trying to make such a thing I need to remember to telegraph the concept and give the player a chance to practice. This is harder without checkpoints.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

I like a level that challenges me to the limits of my crappy ability, but when I'm trying to make such a thing I need to remember to telegraph the concept and give the player a chance to practice. This is harder without checkpoints.
Rule of threes works well. Introduce, practice, master.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I tried to do that in my spin jump level but who knows if it worked out for the players.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rule of threes works well. Introduce, practice, master.

Yeah. More important than knowing the guideline is remembering you need to follow it instead of just doing whatever. Death From Above! is still a bit Mario Makery, but I tried to apply principles of sound level design: 7F49-0000-0024-BB39

Edit: the code was wrong.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 13, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Evil Eagle posted:

I tried to do that in my spin jump level but who knows if it worked out for the players.

I noticed this and thought you did it well, although I used the secret to beat it.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Seems a bit pricey for just a level editor. $80 where I live, actually.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Slur posted:

Seems a bit pricey for just a level editor. $80 where I live, actually.

Go away

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Instead of playing this I am at a wedding.

The groom wore sunglasses and a trilby for the ceremony.

His self written vows were about how much of a gently caress up he was, name dropping all his family in attendance, and ended with a doctor who reference.

The recessional was the imperial march.

Daydreaming about making my sweet wall jump climbing level with lakitus and flamethrowers.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sever

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

C52E-0000-0025-82F3

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

C52E-0000-0025-82F3

lmfao

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

These never get old.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Seeing how many people play your level versus your clear rate, I wonder if most of these people just skip a level when they die once

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

My newest form of digital social commentary is now available

CAPITALISM: 332C-0000-0025-E5F3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I might eventually stop playing MGSV at some point to make some levels today , but maybe not.

Soral
May 30, 2009

if you put wings on kuribos shoe and get in it, it gives you a hover jump. like yoshi from yoshi's island

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Azraelle posted:

3BFB-0000-0023-F4C1

Really like this one!

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

My newest form of digital social commentary is now available

CAPITALISM: 332C-0000-0025-E5F3

lmao nice

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Azraelle posted:

3BFB-0000-0023-F4C1

This is cute and fun.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Azraelle posted:

3BFB-0000-0023-F4C1

This ones cute, occasionally p hard but in an ok way I think

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I'm very impressed with snigglevans self playing level. Good work.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

also lmao that it has a sub 50% win rate despite playing itself

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

mabels big day posted:

yeah i had to fix something.

3289-0000-0022-E5E0

Haha awesome

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I have been so busy these past few days... I cannot believe that I forgot 9/11/2015.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
The game is amazing, I get happy every time I log in and I see people having played my levels, also the art book is fantastic and I played for like six hours on launch day.

It was one of the best 9/11s I've had in forever.

Azraelle posted:

3BFB-0000-0023-F4C1

This level was cool and hard.

I almost gave up on it but I got through to the end which was really cool, nicely done!

I made an easy ghost house level called Spooky House, 3684-0000-0020-9F8B

People seem to like it so maybe you guys will to.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 12, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fredrik1 posted:

I made an easy ghost house level called Spooky House, 3684-0000-0020-9F8B

People seem to like it so maybe you guys will to.
I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yz0xgt5w77dZTFk6XtkhvuTzQplcXge5aeGh5YuaoSw/edit?usp=sharing

ok i think anyone can edit this, so please be civil. it should work now. this is currently only updated from last night.

• Locked thread