Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

anti_strunt posted:

So Steam loving up its connection just lost me 30+ years/8-odd hours of Ironman end-game warfare. Understandable of course, syncing those 36 MB of local user settings must've clogged up the Steam servers something fierce!

Well, that's my story, hope we all learned something.

Luckily for you there's a local copy of your cloud save so you shouldn't really have lost anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

anti_strunt posted:

So Steam loving up its connection just lost me 30+ years/8-odd hours of Ironman end-game warfare. Understandable of course, syncing those 36 MB of local user settings must've clogged up the Steam servers something fierce!

Well, that's my story, hope we all learned something.

Does everyone else not get that pop-up telling you that the Steam connection has failed? I've never lost more than 30 days because of that guy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Wiz, there's a strange little bug I've encountered with a Colonize mission. Cancelling that mission, taking another mission, cancelling that one, will still make the same Colonize mission appear. I can PM you my save file if that would be of any help.

No, EU4, I can't colonize a province that has been settled for over 200 years. Now I can't get my continuous Colonial Enthusiasm going.

Ignore the above. There are two Sao Tomes.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 13, 2015

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Does everyone else not get that pop-up telling you that the Steam connection has failed? I've never lost more than 30 days because of that guy.

I did get it! And I managed to survive with no time lost several occasions this week. It's especially strange since I declared several wars during the period that disappeared but before it reported the lost connection, so apparently even though it saved it didn't sync, despite not reporting anything off with Steam...

Tsyni posted:

Stop using cloud saves for ironman. I know for me it sped things up a reasonable amount too.

MrBling posted:

Luckily for you there's a local copy of your cloud save so you shouldn't really have lost anything.

Does manually mucking about with your save files make you ineligible for sweet, sweet 'cheevos?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 13, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It does, yes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo, it's happening. My heart is racing.

I need to take some blood pressure medicine.

e:

After forming, your capital moves back to Iberia, and EVERYTHING in the New World becomes a colony. I'm losing 600 ducats a month. My naval force limits stayed the same, my land force limits went from 220 to 80. France, and their allies Austria and a complete Italy (first time I've ever seen that) will Re-Re-Reconquista me back once the truce is over. Half of the new colonial nations are pretty pissed and want independence. But I loving did it. God is Great.

:spain:

Node fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 13, 2015

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

anti_strunt posted:

I did get it! And I managed to survive with no time lost several occasions this week. It's especially strange since I declared several wars during the period that disappeared but before it reported the lost connection, so apparently even though it saved it didn't sync, despite not reporting anything off with Steam...

Does manually mucking about with your save files make you ineligible for sweet, sweet 'cheevos?

Its literally just a local backup, if you copy it your savegame folder it will show up as a local ironman save.

That started as a cloud save, I then copied the backup from "Steam\userdata\<YOUR STEAM ID>\236850\remote\save games" and put into the savegame folder in "My documents\Paradox Interactive etc" folder.

You can still achieve things.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 13, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Node posted:

e:

After forming, your capital moves back to Iberia, and EVERYTHING in the New World becomes a colony. I'm losing 600 ducats a month. My naval force limits stayed the same, my land force limits went from 220 to 80. France, and their allies Austria and a complete Italy (first time I've ever seen that) will Re-Re-Reconquista me back once the truce is over. Half of the new colonial nations are pretty pissed and want independence. But I loving did it. God is Great.

Nice one! How did you do it?

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

The Iberian Wedding can be kinda dumb sometimes.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Node posted:

e:

I wish I was smarter. what am I looking at? you started as grenada, colonised/conquered most of north america as well as iberia, and then formed andalusia? I don't get it, what's the big deal? I mean it's really cool that you started as such a small, marginalised state and conquered so much, but it sounds like there's something more to it that I'm missing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I wish I was smarter. what am I looking at? you started as grenada, colonised/conquered most of north america as well as iberia, and then formed andalusia? I don't get it, what's the big deal? I mean it's really cool that you started as such a small, marginalised state and conquered so much, but it sounds like there's something more to it that I'm missing.

It is for the "The Re-Reconquista" achievement. It's just a really hard start and generally speaking, hard as balls achievement to get.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I believe he migrates to North America before he was completely destroyed and then built up there and eventually sailed back to conquer Iberia slowly. When he could from Al-Andalusia, he got his capital back in Europe and completed the achievement.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
oh, okay. that's cool. I've never tried but I always thought the best way to do it would have been to ally with morocco and start taking over tunis, then ally with ottomans and start taking over the tyrrhenean, then finally start attacking iberia.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Node posted:

e:

Congrats, can you say what made this try work over all the others? I feel like giving it a shot.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So decided the Hansa all (only) trade provines sounded like a fun challenge. Anyone fancy musing on strategy? Grabing lubek's first seems easy and logical when denmark gets itself bonned. After that though? Baltic should be doable but then its burgundy/austria/france/england so there seems to be missing a sensible middle phase.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

So decided the Hansa all (only) trade provines sounded like a fun challenge. Anyone fancy musing on strategy? Grabing lubek's first seems easy and logical when denmark gets itself bonned. After that though? Baltic should be doable but then its burgundy/austria/france/england so there seems to be missing a sensible middle phase.

Go for Venice. It'll open up the trade provinces in the med without requiring you to war with the movers and shakers of Europe. You could also try for a province off Morocco so you can colonize trade provinces in the New World and Africa.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does anybody know where the event for increasing your heir's stats is hidden?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Hinduism events wouldn't it be? Search for heir in that and you'll probably find it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, that's the Hindu-only one. I know there's an event for non-Hindu nations that lets you increase one of your heirs stats by 2.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh, well if you remember some flavour text for that event it should still be incredibly easy to find. Just use a text editor that can search multiple files.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Anyone remember if 1.12 to 1.13 saves are compatible? Feel like trying for This is Persia! from my old Tabarestan-Persia game, but not sure if it's worth dealing with CtDs every other month.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Beamed posted:

Anyone remember if 1.12 to 1.13 saves are compatible? Feel like trying for This is Persia! from my old Tabarestan-Persia game, but not sure if it's worth dealing with CtDs every other month.

I don't think they are. 1.13beta saves are compatible, but you'd probably have to roll back to 1.12 to load that save.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Gort posted:

Nice one! How did you do it?

Tendronai posted:

Congrats, can you say what made this try work over all the others? I feel like giving it a shot.

It took me so many retries to figure out what worked and what didn't.

The tl;dr version is: declare war on Tlemcen with your allies Morocco and Tunis, focus on admin and get Explorer up to 3, colonize take Ifni from Morocco (their westernmost province,) colonize one province in Brazil, colonize Puerto Rico, when you're about to form a CN, release Ifni to Sus, move your capital to the Caribbean, colonize the poo poo out of North America. Go Explorer, Expansion, Quantity. Enact the policies that give you 20 settler growth, and 10 settler growth +1 colonist. Plunder the poo poo out of natives to support your colonies. Take the mission that tells you to colonize a random province so you always have the Colonial Enthusiasm modifier. In the end, take advantage of any weakness in Iberia and strike so you can get a foothold there.

Wall of text version: So many things have to go right, or else you just lose. You have a short truce timer with Castille, and they are nearly guaranteed to declare war on you when it ends. You can get super ultra lucky and have Aragon take the Subjugate Navarra mission, which will make war break out on the peninsula, but you can't rely on it. Morocco and Tunis cannot ally Tlemcen. Restart if they do. Ally both of them on day 1, fabricate a claim on Tlemcen. Mothball/destroy your fort, destroy your heavy ships, put army slider all the way down, build up so you have 9 infantry, set national focus to admin. As soon as the claim is done, declare war and only ask Morocco for help. If you ask Tunis, they will just take provinces for themselves, they are there as an emergency. You want to split your army up and snipe provinces before Morocco will take them, because they won't transfer them either.

Hopefully you've gotten every province from Tlemcen. Keep only the capital, release Algiers, and sell them all the other provinces. The admin cost is too much to core those provinces. Castille will likely have declared war on you, even as you are coring Tlemcen. Give them your Iberian provinces. Now you just want to wait until you can get exploration. Don't spend any points on diplomatic tech, you want those first three ideas from exploration, and your terrible ruler isn't going to give you much. Eventually, Portugal will declare war on Morocco. Don't join the war. By this point, hopefully you have gotten an explorer and have explored western Africa. Arguin, the little pocket on the western edge of Africa, may or may not have been taken by Spain. If it is, you're going to have to declare war on Morocco while they are getting stomped by Portugal/Castille/England. Take whatever provinces you like and release them as a vassal except Ifni. Ifni is just west enough that with your 240 colonizing range, you should be able to reach South America.

Once this is done, you should be exploring all of North America's coast. Now, you want to have a diplomat on Castille at all times. Once they have their provinces in Andalusia, they usually will just have a small negative opinion of you for being a heathen. Once you see it drop to -200, they want your North African holdings - including your vassals. You should have decent prestige from exploration, so you need to release them completely. You cannot have a border with Castille during the early years, or they will definitely Holy War you. Never colonize near them. This is really important. I had to restart even 100 years after start, because they are allied with other naval powers that you just will not be able to keep any of your provinces. Tunis might start desiring your provinces too - so you want to keep Algiers (and in my case, Fez as well) until they start wanting your provinces. Get rid of that poo poo. You are in no shape to fight a war except against primitives.

Once your South American province is self sustaining, get to the Caribbean. It should be around 1480-1490. If not, Portugal is going to get their dirty fingers into that juicy trade node. Once you have four provinces and are about to get a fifth, release Ifni to Sus, and move your capital. I chose Havana. Castille will definitely be wanting Tlemcen, so sell it. You are now disconnected from the old world completely, and you have to hope during your early colonizing phase you don't get into range of Castille or Portugal. Again, this relies on chance. Castille loves their holy wars, and will use them if they get the opportunity.

Only colonize in North America. I found out that making a CN of my own in South America was a bad idea, because they are stupid shits and will declare their own wars, getting you into wars with GB that you can't win. So until you're powerful enough, never let a CN of your own form. Focus on the Caribbean and North America. You should have those two policies running, and you should be letting primitive gold pay for them. Eventually you're going to be just strong enough that Portugal, Castille, GB won't want to declare war on you. Once you're powerful enough, you can start making CNs.

Westernize when you feel ready. You will always be able to, since your cores in Andalusia never go away.

Spend the entire game colonizing, and watching the Navy ledger to see who has the most heavy ships - you want to have a lot more than them. And you'll eventually be able to support them yourself without raiding primitives. If war is declared, you can patrol the Caribbean and sink any ships trying to land troops. Once you're in the 18th century, you should have almost all of North America colonized (cockblock off the other colonial powers as best you can, by colonizing around them and prioritizing coasts) and getting loads of ducats from the Caribbean trade node. Now it's a matter of waiting for someone in Iberia to have a weakness, and for you to attack. Take the peninsula back and put it under rightful Muslim rule. The last challenge will be France, and you're just going to have to be lucky and hope they have a moment of vulnerability too. I got lucky with one when their ally, Italy, declared war on Austria, and France joined in. I had to give up a lot of random provinces to get Italy out of the war, and I had to use the mountains to my advantage to have a chance against France. As soon as France is willing to give up just their Iberian provinces, sue for peace, core the provinces, form Andalusia, God is Great.

My idea order was Exploration -> Expansion -> Quantity -> Trade -> Defensive -> Economic -> Offensive -> Nothing. Trade will give you enormous income, and Defensive helps pay for forts and troops, and since North America is gigantic, anyone warring you will take serious attrition. Economic is debatable - you might want Maritime for the increased naval force limit, because you want one of your traders to be steering Ivory Coast to Caribbean, and you'll need lots of light ships for that.

The first 100 years are the diciest. Then the rest of the game, until the very end, is just relaxing colonization. The last few years are stressful when you have to fight France. Even with Quantity and all that land, my manpower was only 180k or so.

In theory, you could not use the escape to America strategy and fight back. You'd have to get super loving lucky and hope Aragon, Castille, and Portugal go to war with each other, and you declare war while Castille is hopefully getting their rear end kicked. I tried that, but even a weakened Castille is stronger than you, Morocco, and Tunis.

--

One curious thing I noticed is if you have dynamic culture names for provinces turned on, none of them in North America change, except for Connecticut, which is changed to Garnatah al-Jadida once you colonize it.

Node fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 13, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I made a game without lucky nations as castile just to gently caress with france. I enjoyed watching them crumble, nabbing their land and allying burgundy. In all this I managed to grab a couple protestant vassals and provinces, and now for a challenge I would like to convert to protestant.

I already have +2 tolerance due to humanism, some provinces are starting to spawn heresies. How long should I wait to convert? I guess about half heretic provinces?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ABC Always Be Converting, even if you're tolerant. Tolerance towards heathens and heretics only goes up to +3, while tolerance of the true faith has no limit. The more true faith provinces you have, the more resilient you are to rebellion, while keeping the heathen/heretic provinces gives you nothing. And converting costs nothing but money. Humanism is just a means to keep your provinces under control until you can convert them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Humanism is great. If you're planning on mass conquering, you almost never get the post-war revolts. The only problem with it is you still want to convert heretic and heathen provinces, and you'll have to rely on national decisions to be able to do it quickly, or you might conquer faster than you can convert, or your religious unity might drop below 100.

You can of course take it with Religion, but I never take those two together because it just seems wrong. They're both mainly stability idea sets so it seems redundant to me, although if you take Religion early you get a crazy good CB.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Fister Roboto posted:

ABC Always Be Converting, even if you're tolerant. Tolerance towards heathens and heretics only goes up to +3, while tolerance of the true faith has no limit. The more true faith provinces you have, the more resilient you are to rebellion, while keeping the heathen/heretic provinces gives you nothing. And converting costs nothing but money. Humanism is just a means to keep your provinces under control until you can convert them.

I think he's saying he wants to convert his national religion to Protestant, from Catholic and wants to know how many provinces should flip before he does so.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

TorakFade posted:

I made a game without lucky nations as castile just to gently caress with france. I enjoyed watching them crumble, nabbing their land and allying burgundy. In all this I managed to grab a couple protestant vassals and provinces, and now for a challenge I would like to convert to protestant.

I already have +2 tolerance due to humanism, some provinces are starting to spawn heresies. How long should I wait to convert? I guess about half heretic provinces?

You could wait until you dip below 75% religious unity as a Catholic, because then once you convert that'll give you the 25% unity as a Protestant that you need to keep Religious Turmoil from triggering. Or just hit the button immediately, because Religious Turmoil is a pathetically easy disaster to weather.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Humanism only really works with France because of the Edict of Nantes decision. In EU3, if you got your tolerance high enough, your empire would become a patch work of silly religions (think Hindu provinces in the middle of Eurpe), but in EUIV, the religious unity modifier to revolt risk makes it imperative to have everyone be of your religion.

Honestly, the Religious Idea group is far more useful than the humanist one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah completely misread that. The easiest way to switch is to make sure that you'll have as close to 100% unity as possible after switching. You get +25% unity no matter what from your ideas, and +2 tolerance means that your heretic provinces will contribute 75% of their development to your unity. That means that you can actually switch at any time, even without a single protestant province, and still have 100% unity after switching. Since you're Spain, you're probably nowhere near any centers of reformation, so you'll want to convert ASAP to get your own and get the ball rolling.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

religous is the best because it reduces culture conversion cost :godwinning:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

religous is the best because it reduces culture conversion cost :godwinning:

It's still way too expensive unless you conquer a top-10 province, like Constantinople, Beijing, Wien, etc. In my opinion at least. You'd have to completely wipe out the Ottomans and Austria, too. I liked how CK2 did it, although the mechanics of that game are entirely different.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 13, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Religious also has a bunch of random +stab events which are nice.

And yeah I think culture conversion could be way, way, way cheaper. I think I can count on one hand how many provinces I've ever culture converted on purpose and not as a "Well my dip points are maxed I guess I'll turn these two super cheap provinces because I have nothing better to do" move.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I only do it when I'm actively feeling like eradicating a culture for shits and giggles. Video game cruelty potential :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Culture conversion would be OK if they had kept random culture spread from EU3.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As Russia you can take Religious and (I think) Admin and enact a policy that further reduces culture cost and together with the religious idea and your own national idea you can culture convert for very cheap (total of -65% cost I think, further reduced once you get diplo efficiency), especially since as Russia diplo tech doesn't really matter if you fall behind. Especially useful since Russia has so many horde culture provinces and the potential for really nasty nationalist revolt cascades.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
On the other hand, Russia also gets most of its income from trade and production which aren't affected by unaccepted cultures so even then you can pretty much ignore culture conversions and use the dip points on absorbing your giant hand-fed vassals. The lowered revolt risk is nice though, especially later in the game when you have enough admin efficiency to grab like dozens of provinces every war from giant, weak Asian blobs.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
most infurating thing ever: when some enemy's opm vassal sails over to your mainland and starts sniping your mothballed forts with 2 units

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

A White Guy posted:

Humanism only really works with France because of the Edict of Nantes decision. In EU3, if you got your tolerance high enough, your empire would become a patch work of silly religions (think Hindu provinces in the middle of Eurpe), but in EUIV, the religious unity modifier to revolt risk makes it imperative to have everyone be of your religion.

Honestly, the Religious Idea group is far more useful than the humanist one.

You can have 100% religious unity with 0% provinces of your state religion. Tolerance increases unity and at high tolerance it counts the same as a true faith religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

vyelkin posted:

As Russia you can take Religious and (I think) Admin and enact a policy that further reduces culture cost and together with the religious idea and your own national idea you can culture convert for very cheap (total of -65% cost I think, further reduced once you get diplo efficiency), especially since as Russia diplo tech doesn't really matter if you fall behind. Especially useful since Russia has so many horde culture provinces and the potential for really nasty nationalist revolt cascades.

VDay posted:

On the other hand, Russia also gets most of its income from trade and production which aren't affected by unaccepted cultures so even then you can pretty much ignore culture conversions and use the dip points on absorbing your giant hand-fed vassals. The lowered revolt risk is nice though, especially later in the game when you have enough admin efficiency to grab like dozens of provinces every war from giant, weak Asian blobs.

Pretty sure it's Religious + Influence for the culture conversion discount. But as VDay points out, Russia is going to be more trade and production based. Remember that Patriarch Authority lowers Revolt Risk and gives +33% Manpower (exactly the same as the penalty for off-culture), so in effect it offsets culture penalties in exchange for nuking your tax income. Which you don't care much about past the first century or so.

That said I think it's an okay way to dump DIP points, as a westernized Russia you'll likely have a fair amount to spare.

Zurai posted:

You can have 100% religious unity with 0% provinces of your state religion. Tolerance increases unity and at high tolerance it counts the same as a true faith religion.

Yeah, +3 (the max) tolerance of heretics/heathens makes them "fully accepted" and they won't lower Unity. It's a scaling amount of Unity with positive Tolerance.

Humanist is best when you have other Tolerance and Cultural Acceptance Threshhold bonuses you can stack, but it's good in general for realm stability. Religious is mostly if you are planning to expand hard into Muslim (or other off-culture, tough to convert religions) territory and for the CB. You take it mostly to speed up conversion, not to make it possible. It's entirely doable to skip Religious as Muscovy/Russia, for example, but it makes your expansion into the hordes a lot slower. Remember that the calculation for conversion difficulty based on province size changed with CS and development, it's now way easier to convert large provinces.

Edit: also, the new revolt system gives you a lot more control over conversions, after a conquest or whatever you can incite a religious revolt and kill off the rebels for the -20 RR which gives you a lot of time to convert.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread