Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i know what i said. Price/performance AND low heat and noise. Im not factoring in sub $300 dollar cards because im not buying them. For my needs and in the present time nvidia is better. im not buying cards 3 years ago, i live in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
3dNow is coming back

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

3dNow is coming back
Finally, hyperthreading on quad-cores matters!

Similarly-priced Xeons finally killing i5s in performance :unsmigghh:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 13, 2015

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Fauxtool posted:

i know what i said. Price/performance AND low heat and noise. Im not factoring in sub $300 dollar cards because im not buying them. For my needs and in the present time nvidia is better. im not buying cards 3 years ago, i live in 2015.

I am going to assume you are refering to the 980 ti which is a fantastic card and probably the best value at the high end, but the vast majority of people don't buy cards in that range. In the $150 to ~$400 range AMD in very competitive in price/perfromance and low heat and noise. Yea their reference coolers have left a lot to be desired but once their partners rolled out cards heat and noise really weren't an issue.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My last 2 cards have been a 970 then the 980ti. I was amd before that for several cards. My sapphire reference 7970 was great until it wasnt and it just stopped working very soon after warranty expiration.

amd wins hands down if you are comparing the entire spectrum of products. I cant decide whether to be impressed or disgusted that their 280 and 290s are still relevant. I almost wish they had doubled down and released some sort of quad 290x Frankenstein with onboard power supply instead of the nano

I always hear about people water cooling top end nvidia cards and it makes sense since you can gain so much when the TDP starts low.
What about 290x's, did people decide its just not worth it for overclocking? I always seem to see nvidia in pc show displays

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 13, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

B-Mac posted:

I am going to assume you are refering to the 980 ti which is a fantastic card and probably the best value at the high end, but the vast majority of people don't buy cards in that range. In the $150 to ~$400 range AMD in very competitive in price/perfromance and low heat and noise. Yea their reference coolers have left a lot to be desired but once their partners rolled out cards heat and noise really weren't an issue.
OTOH people who buy 100-400 dollar video cards also don't buy new video cards each year.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

OTOH people who buy 100-400 dollar video cards also don't buy new video cards each year.

Very true. I got my 7970 for around $220 after rebates a little more than a year and a half ago. It still rocks everything for me at 1200p, I may have to turn a few settings down from ultra to high from time to time. I usually upgrade every 3 years or so. I am excited to see what performance improvements both companies bring with their new generations. I really have no brand preference and go with whoever had the best price/performance ration. I have owned both AMD and Nvidia GPUs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DuckConference posted:

Apparently not so well, at least with the fractal node 202 and a high end GPU: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1464-page5.html
The GPU was significantly throttled just running Resident Evil 6.
While the node 202 is very similar in concept and design, it does not have the GPU right up against the holes in the case, so it might perform very differently. We will see.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

The difference is not enormous but I'd say it's definitely noticeable, it is roughly 20% slimmer after all. Also, my use case for these cases would be as kind of a console replacement and the FTZ01 doesn't look thin at all compared to a PS4.
And where are you putting your console replacement that a couple cm is going to matter?

If you're going horizontal the hit to cooling from ditching the case fans might even be even higher too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah, this. Before I got my 970 I was using a HD6970, the main thing that made me replace it was my PSU dieing and taking the card with it. Of course once I got the 970 into my system I was awfully happy since it just about doubled my performance.

Also to the AMD fan who posted earlier: This is not a "Nvidia zone" it's a good video card zone. AMD gets a lot of poo poo because their high end stuff is either decent but rehashed or just plain old bad. Nvidia gets poo poo for things like the 960. I've recommended plenty of AMD cards to people in the PC parts and building thread, I've also recommended plenty of Nvidia cards. People here definitely have their biases but they are fairly open and honest about them and even with those biases most of the arguments made in favor of either side have some validity to them.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I've seen people recommend finding used R9 290s itt instead of buying some new expensive video card multiple times, which is a really god drat good way to get a beefy AF GPU for bugger all money. AMD has its place.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Fauxtool posted:

What about 290x's, did people decide its just not worth it for overclocking? I always seem to see nvidia in pc show displays
Dunno about show displays but I haven't really overclocked my 290 too high. It runs way quieter & faster than a stock/reference 290x without needing to mess with voltage. I really haven't needed to do much with it since everything save the Witcher 3 runs perfectly at high to ultra settings at 1920x1200, though it looks like there's overhead left over if I wanted to raise the volts.
Edit: even overclocked, it's nowhere close to the % you'd get on a 970 of course.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 13, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cat doter posted:

I've seen people recommend finding used R9 290s itt instead of buying some new expensive video card multiple times, which is a really god drat good way to get a beefy AF GPU for bugger all money. AMD has its place.

Screw used, there's still aftermarket cooler R9-290Xes in retail channels. Somebody posted a XFX-DD 290X for $250 this week, that's an awesome deal. I've seen the MSI Gaming 4G 290 at $210 often, that's such a better buy than a 960.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fauxtool posted:

I always hear about people water cooling top end nvidia cards and it makes sense since you can gain so much when the TDP starts low.
Even with cooling issues dealt with (and some of the partner cards had some incredibly effective air cooling setups, like the Sapphire Tri-X, which made watercooling less of A Thing to begin with), the 290X chips simply didn't have that much headroom. A 10% overclock was doin' pretty well, anything north of that was a combination of luck and cranking up the volts, and even then you might only get another few %. Considering the giggle-inducing power draw that they had a stock, upping the voltage made the wattage go through the roof. For reference, the Sapphire Vapor-X was one of the fastest factory overclocked boards at a 8% overclock, and even after voltage bumps would tap out around a 18% overclock. And draw nearly 600W. That's within a few % +/- of what most people who bothered with watercooling saw, too. The cost of a custom cooler (~$100) just wasn't worth it.

This is unlike the 980(Ti), where you press a button to magically get 15-25% overclock, and then can happily work up from there because most of the chips are temp limited for a good bit before they start hitting the actual limits of the chips themselves.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Twerk from Home posted:

Screw used, there's still aftermarket cooler R9-290Xes in retail channels. Somebody posted a XFX-DD 290X for $250 this week, that's an awesome deal. I've seen the MSI Gaming 4G 290 at $210 often, that's such a better buy than a 960.

The 960 has generally been dubious from the start at the price they asked, to be honest. Þe olde Radeon 280 and 280Xs on the whole offered better value, but those cut price custom cooled 290s are pretty much absolutely the king of price/perf.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2015

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

HalloKitty posted:

The 960 has generally been dubious from the start at the price they asked, to be honest. Þe olde Radeon 280 and 280Xs on the whole offered better value, but those cut price custom cooled 290s are pretty much absolutely the king of price/perf.

Purely performance-wise the GM206 chips are poor, but 960/950 have some benefits that can make it more attractive (even over 750Ti): HDMI 2.0 and HEVC decoding. If you want to put a price tag on that (apparently DP to HDMI2.0 adapters should be available soonish, but they are active and therefore expensive) the pricing can make sense.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

4k HEVC decoding could be done in software with only 20-30% total usage with any Intel i5+ mainline processor since Sandy Bridge so it's kind of pointless. With anything lower, you probably also don't have the means to display 4k.

Also, the only card that would actually get real use out of HDMI 2.0 is the 980ti unless for some reason you really need 60fps on Minecraft in 4k for relatively cheap, in which case the 960 is absolutely perfect in that vanishingly small use case

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mad_Lion posted:

I know this is sort of an Nvidia zone, but I am far more impressed by AMD. First of all, they're fighting on all fronts. CPU, embedded, semi-custom, AND video cards, and they've innovated in ways that changed the industry. They did and are doing it all on such a tiny fraction of Intel or Nvidia's budget, it's almost a miracle. I'm not going to be a fanboy and try to say that their current products are worth buying over the competitors, but they aren't poo poo either. If you sat down in front of a PC that had a Fury X and one that had a 980 Ti, at 1440p, would you even notice a difference, assuming everything else was the same? I doubt it.

They've shown a history of making tech leaps. 3D Now! and some other extensions, DDR1, AMD64, APU's, GCN, mantle, etc. The list goes on.

They do this with a budget so small, and so little support, that I can't help but be their fan. I buy their stuff and support them not out of pity, but out of respect.

I hope Zen and the next gen of vid cards gives them a boost. They deserve it.

My 280x that I paid 140 dollars for SHIPPED will play anything I want at 1080p paired with my i7. Props, it's a 3 year old card essentially.

This is an interesting take. I view it more as squandering assets, poor (poor) management decisions, tech stagnating to the point of business failure, and now its time to come to pay the piper. The fact that nvidia is simply on track seems glorious in comparison, thus the mini fame they've captured this last year.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Still dont understand why the nano "itx htpc" card doens't have hdmi 2.0

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Intel CPU & GPU Platform Discussion - New Iris Pro generation might actually be good!

You might have meant this ironically, but we're pretty close to it. And surprisingly not in a bad way (although it doesn't mean poo poo if Apple keeps buying up the lot).

Don Lapre posted:

Still dont understand why the nano "itx htpc" card doens't have hdmi 2.0

Because Fury Nano is a monument to poor decisions.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You might have meant this ironically, but we're pretty close to it. And surprisingly not in a bad way (although it doesn't mean poo poo if Apple keeps buying up the lot).
If Intel keeps restricting the Iris Pro to ultrabooks (lol) and chips that overqualify it (the 5x75c) the situation won't improve at all.

I hope Intel is smarter than that and starts shoving Iris Graphics in i3s and such if AMD kicks the bucket come 2018.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 13, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Well my Gigabyte 970 release day G1 card started to start to whine in cycles the other day but some canned dust cleaner on the fans stopped that. Just letting others know the value of dust cleaner.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

4k HEVC decoding could be done in software with only 20-30% total usage with any Intel i5+ mainline processor since Sandy Bridge so it's kind of pointless. With anything lower, you probably also don't have the means to display 4k.

I don't get this. If you lack CPU oomph, then you can still extend and old HTPC age and get 4k output. In addition it should have HEVC encoding ability as well.

This is the AMD original K6 compared to Pentium MMX -- sure, you get similar performance in office/productivity benchmarks but lose ~20% on gaming due to poor FPU.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Don't most 750 Ti's have DisplayPort(s) on them anyhow? Not sure what sort of 4k devices you're looking at that don't have an option for that. If you're using it as a HTPC, there are $15 adapters to take it to HDMI 2.0.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

Don't most 750 Ti's have DisplayPort(s) on them anyhow? Not sure what sort of 4k devices you're looking at that don't have an option for that. If you're using it as a HTPC, there are $15 adapters to take it to HDMI 2.0.

None of them do HDMI 2.0, especially not with passive adaptor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BurritoJustice posted:

None of them do HDMI 2.0, especially not with passive adaptor.

An "active adapter" is basically a poo poo GPU in a small plastic box, yes? Waaaay back, I tried a vga-to-hdmi adapter to band-aid-patch an analogue-only AV system. Thing halved the framerate and introduced a sound not unlike the high-pitch white noise you get on a VCR that you usually attenuated with the VCR's built-in low-pass filter. System's all digital now, but it was a solid two months of headache-inducing, high-pitch whine and fuzzy graphics before getting the whole thing digital end-to-end.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Active adaptors are still a pain with latency, but the biggest issue is that there does not exist a DP to HDMI 2.0 of any form. They've been promised for a few months now but nothing has come out yet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What was the price on them?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

$369-399

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Full Tonga is coming out for real this time guys, really!

http://techreport.com/news/29032/rumor-amd-preparing-to-unleash-radeon-r9-380x-graphics-cards

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

It's the card that should have been called simply 380 from the start, but it's good it's coming to fill in that awkward spot.

Now we watch as they manage to screw up the pricing on this too. Maybe.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Still sad that the only GCN 1.2 parts are the ~$200 midrange and the $600 halo cards, but at least they're expanding the footprint a little.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Called it

Rosoboronexport posted:

If AMD would release a full Tonga with 6 GB memory (385X) Nvidia would probably counter with the 960 Ti.
Come on Nvidia, get rid of some broken GM204's, remove 1 64 bit-memory bus and do the same 192/64-bit memory shuffle as with GTX 660 / 660Ti, sell the 4 GB model for $240-260 and I'll buy one for my Core 2 Quad build!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Watch Nvidia drop the 970 to 280$ after the MGSV deal to kill that thing in the crib.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm not sure Nvidia are going to let go of their hilarious margins that quickly.

We'll probably get a 980M with 1/4 of its ROPs disabled as the 960ti.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm not sure Nvidia are going to let go of their hilarious margins that quickly.

Yeah, their market share and consumer perceptions basically allow them to price GPUs as they please.

That said, I have wondered if they intended to price the 980 Ti closer to $800 before switching strategy to forcing the Fury X to be DOA.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Nvidias pricing this year is really excellent... I mean really everything either stayed the same price or went down, its hard to imagine their margins are all that great. Of course, it was all for burying AMD rather than anything else. I think the concern should be about next year.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Space Racist posted:

Yeah, their market share and consumer perceptions basically allow them to price GPUs as they please.

That said, I have wondered if they intended to price the 980 Ti closer to $800 before switching strategy to forcing the Fury X to be DOA.

I kind of doubt it. The Titans are for the performance at any cost crowd, and the market hasnt been broken into the idea of $800 just to get a whiff of a big chip card. The Ti is to get the rest of the high end, where they have to price at least semi-competitively to get the optimal balance of margin and volume. Think about how many goons have bought two cards from the same generation because of that price.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Nvidias pricing this year is really excellent... I mean really everything either stayed the same price or went down, its hard to imagine their margins are all that great. Of course, it was all for burying AMD rather than anything else. I think the concern should be about next year.
Considering they're selling the shittiest power-price-performance GPU known in recent history in the GM206 and selling many numbers of that I'm sure the relatively small margins they take in for the 980ti and $285 970s (which aren't actually common, mind) aren't hurting them all that much.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...I admit I'm sort of looking at that 380X with some interest. I am planning GPU passthrough Win10 VM shenanigans on Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I was thinking of getting a 280x this year but only if it needed 50 less watts. The 380x looks to be just that.

It'd also coax Nvidia to putting out a cheaper desktop GM204 (nearly all of the bottom-bins of it are in mobile) which is a win for just about everybody.