Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How does companion xp work when they're not in the party? After Caed Nua I went solo (well, the black hound came with) to Defiance Bay (fought a lion on the way). Gained a level doing non-combat quests, and when I picked up Eder and Aloth for the catacombs they seemed to have progressed quite a bit. Only a third of a level behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also, has perception become a vital stat for anyone who wants to hit things? Even with spells? I don't recall having it be this way.
It's a decent stat for people that want to hit with status effects, so Wizards and Ciphers mostly. If you're primarily after damage, Dex and Might are better investments. Barbarians can probably benefit from some Perception, though, because Carnage attacks are made at -10 Accuracy, but Barbarians can benefit from any stat so idk.

Edit:

Fuligin posted:

I did the Ogre conflict with Stalwart quest by negotiating a truce. I noticed in the cavern below filled with Lagufaeth a glowy magic trap, if you trigger it it fails some quest. I reloaded, but does that come into play later or did I just miss a sidequest?
What quest did that fail? I don't remember anything going on down there that involved those traps.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What level should I be doing Cragholdt Keep? The new place from the expansion White March, I'm getting owned pretty hard by these soldiers. Also I went up to level 12 and I'm doing The White March. I hope it's not to easy.

SetiYeti
Feb 19, 2011
I did my first White March playthru (not Cragholdt yet) with my solo run Bleak Walker Pale Elf Paladin. Was a bit disappointed with no real upgrades to much of anything, then got to the very end up the Forge and picked up some melee haste bracers and used all the steel on his equipment. He has a collection of Tall Grass and 3 two handed swords that all have prone on crit effect, each with a different slaying enchant.

He swings like a madman now, with haste bracers, steel upgraded weapons & armor.

And props to Obsidian, personally I thought the new tricks - thief character, soul-bound weapons, AI (which I haven't used for anything yet, admittedly), and new magic made it emphatically NOT a humdrum add-on, which I heard a lot before I played it.

Still buggy, but nothing stopping play. Graphic glitches on popup yes/no all the time. When I re-entered the top level of the Battery, after I completed it, the monsters and loot respawned, so I killed/looted it all again. Just that top level though, and the door to below was shut and unresponsive.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wizard Styles posted:

It's a decent stat for people that want to hit with status effects, so Wizards and Ciphers mostly. If you're primarily after damage, Dex and Might are better investments. Barbarians can probably benefit from some Perception, though, because Carnage attacks are made at -10 Accuracy, but Barbarians can benefit from any stat so idk.

Edit:

What quest did that fail? I don't remember anything going on down there that involved those traps.

I wish I could remember exactly, although I can check later. "Playing two sides" or something like that.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Hollismason posted:

What level should I be doing Cragholdt Keep? The new place from the expansion White March, I'm getting owned pretty hard by these soldiers. Also I went up to level 12 and I'm doing The White March. I hope it's not to easy.

Cragholdt is designed for level 14 parties.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Those references to Darklands a while back and the thread about total war warhammer made me nostalgic, so for my White March run I rolled up a party of landsknechts. Every man regardless of class gets a breastplate, a pike and an arquebus; front liners get greatswords. First pick for everyone is soldier weapon focus. Main is a high resolve goldpact paladin with hand and key, which is straight out the most fabulous armour I've seen in a game.

So far I'm having a blast: Durance and Aloth do surprisingly well trailing a pike, and Eder is still tanky as hell with a greatsword. Only problems so far are:

1. No squared beards for characters
2. I can't seem to find adequately pimped out hats. I was sure there used to be one in gilded vale but couldn't find it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hollismason posted:

I did all but the last fight being level 12 (only on Hard though) but it was kind of an arse.

And regards to a point above about abilities that's probably the weakest part of PoE. I'm never too excited about levelling up because all the abilities just seem a bit blah.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Taear posted:

And regards to a point above about abilities that's probably the weakest part of PoE. I'm never too excited about levelling up because all the abilities just seem a bit blah.

Feels alot like D&D3.5 where fighters get little in regards to variety of abilities.

Talents also feel sub-par, a lot of them could have been rolled into each other, and a lot of weapons could have been given additional effects via talents to make them more diverse.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Scorchy posted:

Man I have no money because I keep rerolling companions. It is a disease

What all can be rerolled?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The hirelings from inns can be rerolled, not sure if you can do that for plot companions (then again I haven't played for a while)

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

You can re-do their level ups, but you can't change their stats and stuff.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Would I be wrong in thinking that the monk cross-class talent Novice's Suffering (gives unarmed damage/accuracy bonus increasing with level like a monk's) makes druid spiritshift a whole lot stronger and more useful? I was trying it out with Hiravias and he seems to tear poo poo up as long as he doesn't attract attention.

edit: my Hiravias is level 11 and I'm getting +12 unarmed accuracy and +11 damage

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
gently caress Cilaban Rilag. Tedious bullshit even when you've got a lot of fire handy.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

sassassin posted:

What was making my character sick at the start of the game? Couldn't be the rumbling rot, or my character would be dead in a day (I used my only water to clean a statue).

And if my character is so sick that the caravan had to stop moving, why do I fight and run around as normal? No, no, this doesn't make any sense at all.

From a while ago but nobody addressed it properly.

Your illness is caused by proximity to Thaos. The water and berries were red herrings, and you probably shouldn't rely on the diagnosis of a caravan leader. You experience the same symptoms in the Sanitarium when you attempt to reach out to Thaos' soul in the child patient.

It would be pretty dumb if the whole story could have been avoided if you didn't happen to catch dysentery. It's not a coincidence.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Was Thaos hiding in the back of Heodan's wagon, then (he did say he didn't have enough room for shirts)? Strange how the effects are the same over such massively different distances.

Wasn't it part of the original kickstarter pitch that your character just be a 'wrong place, wrong time' kind of coincidence? I hate chosen one stories.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

sassassin posted:

Was Thaos hiding in the back of Heodan's wagon, then (he did say he didn't have enough room for shirts)? Strange how the effects are the same over such massively different distances.

Wasn't it part of the original kickstarter pitch that your character just be a 'wrong place, wrong time' kind of coincidence? I hate chosen one stories.

Well it was a coincidence that you happened to be traveling through the place when he was there as well. As far as I know, there weren't any magical beings or whatever trying to pull you towards the meeting.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

evilmiera posted:

Well it was a coincidence that you happened to be traveling through the place when he was there as well. As far as I know, there weren't any magical beings or whatever trying to pull you towards the meeting.

Also the fallen tree in the southeast part of the map that Calisca never had the chance to deal with. Perhaps Thaos knew you were traveling through the area and blocked the path to set up the ambush.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Wizzzrd posted:

Also the fallen tree in the southeast part of the map that Calisca never had the chance to deal with. Perhaps Thaos knew you were traveling through the area and blocked the path to set up the ambush.

I don't think Thaos wanted you to awaken. Every time I caught up with him, he seemed to be kinda annoyed with the "You again? Do we really have to do this every time I run into one of your reincarnations?" interactions we had.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
Thaos isn't even aware of you until you confront him in the Sanitarium.

Not really a 'chosen one' story but also not a conflict that arose because you had the shits.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I was planning on waiting till WM2 came out before starting a new character, but I have a real urge. Have they fixed frenzy yet? If so, I think I'll make one tonight.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Tellah posted:

Thaos isn't even aware of you until you confront him in the Sanitarium.

Not really a 'chosen one' story but also not a conflict that arose because you had the shits.

Haha. I would've loved it if Thaos would've said something along the lines of, "...and who do you think gave you the shits on your travels? It was I who gave you those shits. Do you think those springberries really would have saved you? Nothing can save you here. Nothing."

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Tellah posted:

It kind of is, though, since you're quite a special person in Thaos' history: you betrayed him, sided with that rebel lady, and apparently your soul regularly awakens to come back and gently caress with his plans.

Maybe your soul sensed Thaos being not too far and that triggered the beginning of your Awakening. It's not a well known fact but the first sign of an Awakening is diarrhea.

CottonWolf posted:

I was planning on waiting till WM2 came out before starting a new character, but I have a real urge. Have they fixed frenzy yet? If so, I think I'll make one tonight.

What was broken?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Furism posted:

What was broken?

I read somewhere it wasn't activating properly? Perhaps that's not true.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

CottonWolf posted:

No, but you can still get it cast if you're willing to devote some attention to mashing the button.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They could do for adding more helms to the game seriously, I still have that stupid +1 Perception on Eder because there is gently caress all to really put on him.

Gonna start White March today I got uh... distracted on wanting to kill all of the Bounties.

Also Rangers are loving boss with Apprentice Sneak Attack and the Ability you can give your pet to knock someone down. Add the whole Enemies can get stunned when your pet attacks them and you shoot them then it's pretty much on like crazy.

Also Ciphers are balls to the walls crazy amazing, and I don't know who to kick out of my group now because Grieving Mother is so good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 13, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Furism posted:

It kind of is, though, since you're quite a special person in Thaos' history: you betrayed him, sided with that rebel lady, and apparently your soul regularly awakens to come back and gently caress with his plans.

Exactly. Typical destiny.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Furism posted:

Sort of but not really. Thaos may be important to your history, but the reverse is not necessarily true, considering how many lifetimes he's lived. It seems like you're more of a pest he vaguely remembers from ages ago.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Wizard Styles posted:

As much as you seem to like the game I see no reason not to get it so you can use the new talents even if you don't end up doing the expansion content right away. Depending on how much you want to play with the new companions I'd advise you to hold off on going to the new areas until you've done some stuff in Twin Elms, though, and take advantage of the level-scaling option.
Doing the expansion stuff earlier will leave you way overleveled for regular base game enemies, because those don't scale.

Also, you can just buy an exceptional Sabre in Defiance Bay and give it whatever elemental Lash you want.

Don't blame the bear for moving into one of the stock caves, it's hard enough to find any place at all when you got two cubs to raise all on your own.

Also (expansion pet spoiler):

Really, Edér? What kind of monster do you think I am?

game of forever

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I briefly considered not taking Edér along with me because I like Pallegina a bit more mechanically, but I had to see his reactions to any new pets. I was not disappointed.

Fuligin posted:

I wish I could remember exactly, although I can check later. "Playing two sides" or something like that.
I have no idea what that even is, as far as I remember there's only a key on a dead ogre and a part of Garodh's Chorus there.

Furism posted:

Maybe your soul sensed Thaos being not too far and that triggered the beginning of your Awakening. It's not a well known fact but the first sign of an Awakening is diarrhea.
Well, it stands to reason. I mean, the animancer that examines Aloth says that Iselmyr has taken up residence near the spleen, obviously the Watcher's awakened past life is located in the rectum.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Furism posted:

What was broken?

The new AI changes have broken a whole bunch of cast on self abilities, so frenzy, returning storm, chants etc can't be activated.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There are tons of helmets, mostly just stats. Check the shops.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Scorchy posted:

Sort of but not really. Thaos may be important to your history, but the reverse is not necessarily true, considering how many lifetimes he's lived. It seems like you're more of a pest he vaguely remembers from ages ago.

Yeah, Thaos absolutely doesn't give a poo poo about the Watcher or the horrible ways he manipulated your past self, and that infuriating unflappability is part of what makes him such a good villain (imo), even if I have issues with the exact sequencing/pacing of PoE's main storyline. I love when you confront him in the Sanitarium and he immediately tries to kill you and peaces out instead of monologuing on the futility of your quest.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Got into playing the White March, I don't know what Critical Path means but I selected it because I thought I was to high. Turns out critical path means gang gently caress the priest and wizards. Cause that's what immediately happens in any fight. They'll ignore everything and go for your priest and wizards .

Also got a Ghost Bear companion. Dunno why but graphically if you stealth with the bear then get in a fight he'll glitch sometimes and become stuck in the world.

Or someone will knock you back into a inaccessible area. Not sure how that even happens.

So the Ogre Cave when you tie the rope and go down the Ice Chute, you have the option of grabbing a ledge or trying to. I completely failed that but what's there?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Some of these companions made pretty brain-dead stat choices. How can I respec not just skills, but stats too, for companions?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I literally just learned that you the "recruit adventurer" is you making a custom made companion which is interesting. I just thought it was dudes who joined your party and then they left after a while.

I know what I'm doing as soon as I beat the game and restart with just my own custom band of ruthless murderers. I think you can do that.

edit:

Seriously thought adventurers this whole loving time were just dudes that you hired temporarily. Good now I can make Conan the Barbarian, Valkyrie, Ranger/Thief, and Wizard.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 14, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

alcaras posted:

Some of these companions made pretty brain-dead stat choices. How can I respec not just skills, but stats too, for companions?

You can't. Either hire your own adventurers or don't worry since the attributes don't matter much.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

alcaras posted:

Hire an adventurer and build a character specifically toward how you want to use them.

The other option is to buff their stats in whatever way you can manage to. Both PoE and D&D have builds that lend themselves to certain optimal stat arrangements, but the difference is that PoE allows practically any character to carry out their function. If the 10% damage boost from those two misplaced might points is a dealbreaker, just roll a new character.

Beyond that? I don't know if there's a save editor yet, and even if there is it's probably a bad idea to gently caress with it until White March 2.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Spoilers about the main story:

I thought it was unfortunate that there weren't more flashbacks in the game with Thaos. I found the whole "create a personality for this guy in your flashback" thing to be really cool. But it doesn't amount to that much even if there is some referencing it here and there, mostly with Iovara. Would've loved to see that expanded.

I kinda liked Thaos. I also thought the PoE plot had some problems here and there but Thaos himself was cool I thought. The voiceactor nailed it also, great job there.

I liked that he was as unreasonable as he is. He's obviously so deep into what he is doing that he is consumed by it and doing it per routine. But you kinda get the sense that he has that passion still in the final conversation when he mentions that all that would be left of us would be spirits, slowly being ground to dust in the great Wheel. That was some nice piece of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

rope kid posted:

There's a special conversation option you get on another map if you earn the Flick of the Wrist Talent from Orlan's Head. :kiddo:

Where can I find the Orlans's Head and the Dozens dice game?

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread