Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

6x4.5 is fine, it's the camera that makes the difference. With MF/LF it's all about film flatness and front-standard alignment and rigidity, because small misalignments mean hosed-up corners due to the shallower depth of field. I have a GS645 that's nice and stiff with a meter and a coated Planar, it's fantastic.

A 75/3.5 lens is considered fast for a triplet, so you're in for some soft corners and field curvature when you're wide open. On the other hand once you're down a couple stops you'll do OK. You don't have a rangefinder, so you'll have to guess ranges, which can compound these isssues. I have a non-RF Ikonta with a coated Novar triplet that I like shooting with Ektar as my "holga" because it tends to produce a lot of wonky results. That lens should be similar, but somewhat more flare-y since it's uncoated. Triplet lenses handle flare better than other uncoated lenses because there's fewer surfaces for the light to flare on.

I think that's a good deal assuming it works, I'd say look it over carefully and give it a shot. Wind the lens and make sure it fires - even a novice should be able to hear a noticeable difference between speeds up to 1/125 at a minimum, past that it's just how quick the "snap" happens. The low speeds (below 1/30) tend to stick but you use them less. Take a flashlight and shine it through the bellows while you look for pinholes from behind. If you can talk them into it, take it into a bathroom and it will be easier.

Ended up buying a Yashicamat from Mr Despair, it should be here tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MrBlandAverage posted:

Because all C41 gets processed the same way regardless of film speed/emulsion/whatever. Not counting stand processing, which a lab isn't going to do, B&W dev has to be timed differently for every emulsion. They're also probably doing much smaller volumes of B&W with similar fixed costs.

Unless you do Diafine, of course.

Basically B+W only takes a long time if you develop in stupid ways. If you throw it into Diafine, you need to touch it twice. If you throw it into Rodinal, you need to touch it twice. Either way you get any random film developed to normal EI.

If you throw it into a rotary developer, you only need to touch it once. You do need to know the dev time and temps, but you don't need to be standing there shaking it every couple minutes. Or even every half hour.

B+W film is expensive because only retards pay to have it developed commercially. If you pay for B+W dev, even (especially?) in TYOOL 2015, you are an idiot. It's 100% a racket and everyone knows it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 8, 2015

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, washing and drying film is way more annoying that any dev process.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mulls posted:

Honestly, washing and drying film is way more annoying that any dev process.

Says someone who doesn't own a forced washer.

It's literally the least annoying part of the film dev process. Since I have a motor base I don't even have to shake the hypoclear myself. Toss the reel on the rollers, insert plug A into socket B, drink a beer.

I bought a short Calumet column washer for like $50 (maybe 2-3 reels of 120mm?), but you can also buy the hoses for your Paterson System 4 tanks. Either way it's a quantum leap in film washing. Except for Aussies, who cannot afford such luxuries and need to manually dump and refill the tank to conserve water. :unsmigghh:

Remove tank from rollers, remove reel from hypoclear, place in column washer, run water on lukewarm, gently caress off and drink a beer for 20 minutes. Then you just run the shower in your bathroom, dunk in photoflo for 30s, hang it from a shoestring with some clothespins and a clothespin as weight, then gently caress off and finish your beer(s). When you sober up you have film done, for literally five minutes of actual effort.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 8, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ended up buying a Yashicamat from Mr Despair, it should be here tomorrow!

Yashicamats are also fantastic. There's also a lot less things to go wrong with a TLR then with a folder. There's no bellows, the film standard is rigid, and the back has a lip that makes it unlikely to leak light. It's just not quite as compact a package, but that's not a bad tradeoff for your first foray into MF. My first MF was a super-late Yashica D with coated Yashicamat lenses (Yashinon 2.8/2.8 combo).

I have a Rolleiflex nowadays but I also kinda regret letting the Yashica go. The prism finder on the Rolleiflex is killer but the Yashica was pretty damned close in terms of optical performance. I would never trade the Pentax 6x7 kit it helped finance though.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Much cheaper, and the 35mm gear/chems I already have would transfer right over to 120, excepting the enlarger's negative carrier.

Don't forget the enlarger lens. A standard-type 50mm enlarger lens will NOT cover 6x4.5 or 6x6 (the diagonals are pretty close, it's ~75mm vs ~80mm). You need to be running at LEAST a 50mm Wide Angle type or a 75-80mm standard type enlarger lens. If you plan on going to a larger format you might as well jump to 105mm (6x7) - the tradeoff is longer FL's need more column lift for a given print size, but also have more coverage than shorter FLs, and tend to have higher resolution vs a WA-type enlarger lens of equivalent coverage. 135mm covers 2x3 and 150mm covers 4x5.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 8, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Don't forget the enlarger lens. A standard-type 50mm enlarger lens will NOT cover 6x4.5 or 6x6 (the diagonals are pretty close, it's ~75mm vs ~80mm). You need to be running at LEAST a 50mm Wide Angle type or a 75-80mm standard type enlarger lens. If you plan on going to a larger format you might as well jump to 105mm (6x7) - the tradeoff is longer FL's need more column lift for a given print size, but also have more coverage than shorter FLs, and tend to have higher resolution vs a WA-type enlarger lens of equivalent coverage. 135mm covers 2x3 and 150mm covers 4x5.

I've got an Omega D2 with a 105mm lens so I should be good then.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've got an Omega D2 with a 105mm lens so I should be good then.

Yup, that'll do.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

Says someone who doesn't own a forced washer.

I miss using my patterson washer, the faucets in my new house are incompatible with it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'll be throwing my Hasselblad 500c/m + lenses/filters up for sale in the appropriate thread soon, if anyone's thinking of buying one but is in no massive hurry keep an eye on the FS thread.

Aussie dollar is pretty weak atm so yanks may get a pretty good deal out of it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Tiber River by alkanphel, on Flickr

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Loading 120 onto Paterson reels loving sucks. After 15 minutes of sweaty frustration in the dark bag, followed by a break, followed by another 15 minutes of trying, I decided the roll was probably pretty hosed anyway and sacrificed it for practice. With 35mm it's really easy to index the starting "ramps" and get the film in, but at 120 it's so drat wide...

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Pham Nuwen posted:

Loading 120 onto Paterson reels loving sucks. After 15 minutes of sweaty frustration in the dark bag, followed by a break, followed by another 15 minutes of trying, I decided the roll was probably pretty hosed anyway and sacrificed it for practice. With 35mm it's really easy to index the starting "ramps" and get the film in, but at 120 it's so drat wide...

sometimes when that happens to me it's because I kinked up the side of the roll somewhere. I feel around for it and try to cut it down.

I always have more trouble with 35mm...especially at the end of the roll

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Used Xtol for the first time, under developed the sheets a fair bit, temperature was a bit below 20C, should have compensated for it:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOtxvNaYC1s
Hey, I hear that voice when I'm shooting too.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

quote:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/55043-Arista-Premium-Plastic-Developing-Reel

I use reels like these for 120. These have large feed slots which makes loading 120/220 easy. The Rokunar tank sets include two of these. Depending on who is selling that day, it might be more cost effective to buy from Amazon. Sometimes you can catch them for around 25-30 dollars.

EDIT: accidentally quoted the wrong post.

iammeandsoareyou fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 11, 2015

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

akadajet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOtxvNaYC1s
Hey, I hear that voice when I'm shooting too.

Is that Legendary Anchor Man Bill Kurtis?

EDIT: I should have just watched until the end.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 11, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

aricoarena posted:

Is that Legendary Anchor Man Bill Kurtis?

That's what he says way at the end of the video.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
More C330s, not quite in keeping with my earlier style, but I like the colours more, wish I could figure out what I did differently.
080915 Street Squares (2 of 4) by TimFPictures, on Flickr
080915 Street Squares (3 of 4) by TimFPictures, on Flickr
Anything I could do to make this better in post? I love the juxtapositioning of the girl and the tree, and the constrast and geometry is nice, but I feel it lacks a certain je nes se quoi.
080915 Street Squares (1 of 4) by TimFPictures, on Flickr
Facebook loves the last one but I think it looks like it should have some saccharin text about loving life or moving to Paris or something equally as sickening over it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

XTimmy posted:

More C330s, not quite in keeping with my earlier style, but I like the colours more, wish I could figure out what I did differently.
Anything I could do to make this better in post? I love the juxtapositioning of the girl and the tree, and the constrast and geometry is nice, but I feel it lacks a certain je nes se quoi.
Facebook loves the last one but I think it looks like it should have some saccharin text about loving life or moving to Paris or something equally as sickening over it.

holy blue on all of them.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

I kind of like it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XTimmy posted:

This one is confusing in a really nice way, I like it. also it's "je ne sais quoi"

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tumblr will steal this a million times

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

This one is confusing in a really nice way, I like it. also it's "je ne sais quoi"

It's also "juxtaposition", not "juxtapositioning"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Exactly what I want out of a relationship.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

relationship goals

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

akadajet posted:

Exactly what I want out of a relationship.

A pond large enough to drown your shame in, same here man.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

8th-snype posted:

A pond large enough to drown your shame in, same here man.

I'd need a bigger body of water to drown your mom.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'd need a bigger body of water to drown your mom.

Knowing my mom she can probably breathe underwater

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Pukestain Pal posted:

Que? If you mean the cyan sky yeah I shifted it a little to improve the colour contrast a bit. The cyan gels better than the more deeper blue of a normal sky.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

XTimmy posted:

I really like shots 1 and 2, but I must admit to also really not liking the processing/scanning of these, it looks like either cheap expired negative film, or you put a VISCO filter over it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

akadajet posted:

I kind of like it.

:suicide:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Couple of months ago I was going through my fathers photography stuff and came upon the following:

Meopta Flexaret TLR Which I still haven't cheked thoroughly.

Praktisix, which doesn't work. Film advance lever does not revert to starting position after winding, but can be pushed back manually. Shutter speed is the same regardless of setting, seems about 1/8.

Pentacon Six TL

(shown next to it is Sekonic Multileader meter, in good working condition)

The P6 is working great, it's showing some scuff marks, and mirror has some black spots on the edges, but nothing major.

I have a metering prism for it, but it isn't working, which is hardly surprising considering it wasn't used in about 30 years. I can't open the battery compartment, seems like battery might have leaked inside. also the corner is chipped, but it's not a big thing.

As for lenses, I have 50mm f/4 Flektogon, works fine, no mold, but filter thread is bent. Seems like the lens fell, or hit something hard. I also found 80mm f/2.8 Biometar, which also looks fine, except that when focusing there is great increase in resistance about 2/3 way towards infinity. I might have that lens checked. And lastly there is 180mm f/2.8 Sonnar. I was shooting with it, and while turning focus ring I heard a "twank" sound, and now my apperture won't step down :negative:.

Last week I took P6 on a vacation along with couple of rolls of Portra 400 and HP5, I'll gett them processed sometime next week. It's been ages since I've shot film, and I've only shot 35mm before, so I'm really excited how It'll turn out.

Edit: Also found these in the bottom of the fridge (sorry for the crappy pic):

Dates on Ektachrome is 1984, except two bottom rolls which are 1977 and 1978 :v: Other rolls are also from the '80s.
Two bottom-right rolls (Agfachrome and ORWO) were stored in the attic, which easily reaches ~50 celsius during summer.

I should throw this out, shouldn't I?

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 12, 2015

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Couple of months ago I was going through my fathers photography stuff and came upon the following:

Meopta Flexaret TLR Which I still haven't cheked thoroughly.

Praktisix, which doesn't work. Film advance lever does not revert to starting position after winding, but can be pushed back manually. Shutter speed is the same regardless of setting, seems about 1/8.

Pentacon Six TL

(shown next to it is Sekonic Multileader meter, in good working condition)

The P6 is working great, it's showing some scuff marks, and mirror has some black spots on the edges, but nothing major.

I have a metering prism for it, but it isn't working, which is hardly surprising considering it wasn't used in about 30 years. I can't open the battery compartment, seems like battery might have leaked inside. also the corner is chipped, but it's not a big thing.

As for lenses, I have 50mm f/4 Flektogon, works fine, no mold, but filter thread is bent. Seems like the lens fell, or hit something hard. I also found 80mm f/2.8 Biometar, which also looks fine, except that when focusing there is great increase in resistance about 2/3 way towards infinity. I might have that lens checked. And lastly there is 180mm f/2.8 Sonnar. I was shooting with it, and while turning focus ring I heard a "twank" sound, and now my apperture won't step down :negative:.

Last week I took P6 on a vacation along with couple of rolls of Portra 400 and HP5, I'll gett them processed sometime next week. It's been ages since I've shot film, and I've only shot 35mm before, so I'm really excited how It'll turn out.

Edit: Also found these in the bottom of the fridge (sorry for the crappy pic):

Dates on Ektachrome is 1984, except two bottom rolls which are 1977 and 1978 :v: Other rolls are also from the '80s.
Two bottom-right rolls (Agfachrome and ORWO) were stored in the attic, which easily reaches ~50 celsius during summer.

I should throw this out, shouldn't I?

In regards to the film you might as well use it. Results will probably be off, particularly the attic stuff, but it is a rare occasion where you can go around snap shotting in medium format without feeling like you are wasting film. If you develop your own film and have never done E-6 before this would be good stuff to use for practice. Since the Ektachrome is low ISO, you actually might still get good results from it, since it was in the fridge. I took a chance on a box of Velvia 50 that expired in 2000 and the rolls have consistently come out like fresh.

Edit: Make sure it is E-6. I have run across older slide film that used obsolete processes like E-3, which you can't get developed unless you cross process.

iammeandsoareyou fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 12, 2015

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

iammeandsoareyou posted:

Edit: Make sure it is E-6. I have run across older slide film that used obsolete processes like E-3, which you can't get developed unless you cross process.

Yeah, that roll of EH120 is E-4. I can't find the data for that Type B roll, but I'm pretty sure it isn't E-6 (also it is ISO 32, that's a slow film if I've seen one).

Four rolls of Ektachrome 64 are E-6 so I'll definitely shoot them.

I haven't found which process is used for ORWOChrom film yet (and neither have I heard of it before today).

As for Agfachrome 50L and CT18, they use some specific process, and can't be cross-processed as E-6, don't they.

I guess I should take this to film thread.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
God I hate it when I ride down the wburg bridge and there's a chick stretching in my way

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Now I went and over cooked it with the Xtol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Spedman posted:

Now I went and over cooked it with the Xtol

looks just
right to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

• Locked thread