Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rarity posted:

I don't see there being a normal Cop in this game because the entire theme is Buddies and so far every flip has enforced that PRs are Buddy based and my own cop power involved my buddy so why doesn't chaoslord's?

Ecco had a vig role in addition to buddy role. So it's not entirely out of the question.

Also I am not sure of what to make of Section 31 and Opop both claiming to be buddy cops, but Asiina not flipping buddy cop at all. Makes it seem like both buddies get the cop role, making your claim a little more hard to believe. Could be coincidence or opop lying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Opopanax posted:

Oh, wait! ##vote rarity

Rarity got the mechanics down, but backwards. I think she was making an assumption on how a buddy cop worked and mixed it up.

I'm confused, what do you think I'm assuming?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hal Incandenza posted:

Also I am not sure of what to make of Section 31 and Opop both claiming to be buddy cops, but Asiina not flipping buddy cop at all. Makes it seem like both buddies get the cop role, making your claim a little more hard to believe. Could be coincidence or opop lying though.

Or maybe Section 31 was able to cop someone and those results got sent to somebody else who was also able to cop someone and :suicide:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Ecco had a vig role in addition to buddy role. So it's not entirely out of the question.

I'm not a buddy cop, technically.

Opopanax posted:

We couldn't talk so I'm not really sure how it worked. My guess is it was like he was a cop and I picked the targets for him, which is kind of a neat setup with a newer player.

My actual role role is just VT, which is what I am now.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Oh ok, well that makes a little more sense then

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rarity posted:

I'm confused, what do you think I'm assuming?

Because you've got it backwards. You're saying you're a buddy cop who sent results to Asiina, who was Vanilla. I'm saying I'm Vanilla who sent results to Sec 31, a Buddy Cop.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Opopanax posted:

Because you've got it backwards. You're saying you're a buddy cop who sent results to Asiina, who was Vanilla. I'm saying I'm Vanilla who sent results to Sec 31, a Buddy Cop.

*checks*

My role PM says both that I'm Vanilla and that I'm Buddy Cops with Asiina. It definitely doesn't draw a distinction between me and her there.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Opop you're really muddying the waters, could you make one clear post about what exactly your ability is?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Opopanax posted:

I buy it, actually, because I was a buddy cop too. I picked Sec 31 because I thought this was his first game and I was being inclusive, so I'm null now.

okay...

Opopanax posted:

Hmm, on the other hand the cop itself was my boon. I couldn't communicate with 31, but he would have received my results.

okay...

Opopanax posted:

:psyduck:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Look Under The Rock posted:

Opop you're really muddying the waters, could you make one clear post about what exactly your ability is?

I feel like I've made lots, but my brain is still in vacation mode so maybe it's only clear to me. I have no power on my own, I'm vanilla and I would just pick a target for Sec to cop. I guess I confused things by saying I was a buddy cop earlier, I misspoke there

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
We should probably stop trying to setup spec this. Outing a cop that you don't even really know is lying on D2 was a bad idea.

Let's instead look at bad posts. Like Birdstrike's.

On D1 this thread was lazy and jokey, so no big deal about bad posting there. But stuff like this:

Birdstrike posted:

You're lucky, buddy Alehkhs, lurker lunches are my favourite D1 policy!

I at a stupidly large lunch so that was good. I'm about as sick of food as I am about talking over MMM, so I will come back later with some other ~reads~

Birdstrike posted:

haha another new prime minister :hurr:

chaoslord is rarity full of BS?
Also if you're a cop who can have a masonbuddy why wouldn't you investigate your masonbuddy to make it a confirmed masonry?

is just the beginning of a D2 post history that is the whitest of noise. He is asking lots of questions with no follow-ups, and his only point today (that Hal was intentionally mischaracterizing the D1 lynch) goes nowhere. He is trying to blend in.

##vote birdstrike

I am confident that he is scum.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

haha another new prime minister :hurr:

Let's see an end to everything in your avatar.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Phoneposting now so I can't put anything big together but I'm personally not a fan of the way Hal started going after me.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Like, his case came after getting pressure for not posting. Hal doesn't usually post a ton and quickly throwing together a bunch of posts for a case seems like an uncharacteristic reaction to pressure.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That combined with how quickly he backed down makes it seem like an insincere read to me.

##vote hal

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

We should probably stop trying to setup spec this. Outing a cop that you don't even really know is lying on D2 was a bad idea.

Let's instead look at bad posts. Like Birdstrike's.

On D1 this thread was lazy and jokey, so no big deal about bad posting there. But stuff like this:

is just the beginning of a D2 post history that is the whitest of noise. He is asking lots of questions with no follow-ups, and his only point today (that Hal was intentionally mischaracterizing the D1 lynch) goes nowhere. He is trying to blend in.

##vote birdstrike

I am confident that he is scum.

Hey bottle is there a specific reason you looked at birdstrike?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Quick question for the people voting for me:

If I'm scum and chaoslord isn't, why didn't I just make him the N1 kill?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

Quick question for the people voting for me:

If I'm scum and chaoslord isn't, why didn't I just make him the N1 kill?

toot toot all aboard the wifom train

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

toot toot all aboard the wifom train

It's a bit WIFOM. I recognise that, and I normally avoid WIFOM arguments because they're dumb, but seriously there is no way a scum player tries to get a publically unclaimed cop lynched when they can just NK them before that info gets out.

Like, how bad a scum player do you think I am?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

It's a bit WIFOM. I recognise that, and I normally avoid WIFOM arguments because they're dumb, but seriously there is no way a scum player tries to get a publically unclaimed cop lynched when they can just NK them before that info gets out.

Like, how bad a scum player do you think I am?

There are a hundred answers to your question and the first one is "it wasn't your call, one of your scum bros chose the kill without your input"
Another one is "because you were confident that if you claimed it first, town would take out Chaos and save you a nightkill"
Yet another is "so you could say 'if I were scum why would I do this?' " which makes perfect sense coupled with the fact that asiina died in the night

Some really high level scum play looks like bad scum play on the surface because doing a superscum thing and looking awful short term serves the team's purposes long term.

Sometimes people do things that are totally irrational because it's early in the morning/late at night/they are hungry/there's a screaming child on the bus/their foot itches

Like, what kind of answer are you expecting? I think you're scum, I told you why I think you're scum, you asked a super wifom question, but really the answer to "why would I do this as scum" is pretty much always gonna be "I don't fuckin know, you tell me." Let me turn the question right back to you: If Chaos isn't scum, what sort of sense do your actions make from a town perspective?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Let me turn the question right back to you: If Chaos isn't scum, what sort of sense do your actions make from a town perspective?

I've been an idiot who failed hard on setup spec.

Either way you clearly don't give a poo poo about engaging with me and have already judged me so gently caress you,

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hey bottle is there a specific reason you looked at birdstrike?

because I read his posts? When I realize I have no opinion of someone in a game, it pings me. On a reread I had a much worse opinion of him.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

I've been an idiot who failed hard on setup spec.

Either way you clearly don't give a poo poo about engaging with me and have already judged me so gently caress you,

she is engaging with you. she is engaging with you a lot. how do you see disagreeing with you as not engaging with you???

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

That combined with how quickly he backed down makes it seem like an insincere read to me.

##vote hal

Is your case purely meta or could you quote me any particular posts where he is being insincere? Because I didn't read him that way and I find him posting more to be refreshing.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Like, his case came after getting pressure for not posting. Hal doesn't usually post a ton and quickly throwing together a bunch of posts for a case seems like an uncharacteristic reaction to pressure.

Not at all, I felt bad after LutR called me garbage and no one else was saying anything and I had some free time this morning so I actually, you know, read the game again and offered thoughts.

THEN all kinds of other content came up and I felt like I needed to reconsider. You are making it sound like I just backed off over nothing.

Furthermore, if you aren't seeing why I changed my stance on BK's confirmed town status then I guess you really aren't reading because I actually spelled that out very clearly.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I feel that Rarity has misunderstood chaoslord's claim, and her vote was based on this misunderstanding. It's plausible in the setup that you could have a standard cop as well as buddycops.

Which leads me to be suspicious of Look Under The Rock for giving Rarity a hard time about it.

But even more obviously, just lol at Opop both misunderstanding how buddycops work, and claiming buddycop with a dead guy to claim VT. :dance:

##vote Opop

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Well poo poo - this all became a mess over the last page or so.

The whole thing with Rarity and Chaos is weird - but with there being a buddy-cop system in place it just seems really off that there would then be normal cop. As much as the :spooky: Rarity curse :spooky: concerns me, I gotta say...

the buddyless cop is no buddy of mine. :colbert:

##vote chaoslord

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Birdstrike posted:

But even more obviously, just lol at Opop both misunderstanding how buddycops work, and claiming buddycop with a dead guy to claim VT. :dance:

##vote Opop

This is the point that I'm hung up on.

Rarity is claiming that as the Buddy Cop, they sent results to Asiina, a VT.

Opop is claiming that as VT, they sent results to Section 31, a Buddy Cop.

Those can't exist together, surely, which is why Opop is voting Rarity. I keep going back and forth on who I think is lying about it though.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Alehkhs posted:

Well poo poo - this all became a mess over the last page or so.

The whole thing with Rarity and Chaos is weird - but with there being a buddy-cop system in place it just seems really off that there would then be normal cop. As much as the :spooky: Rarity curse :spooky: concerns me, I gotta say...

the buddyless cop is no buddy of mine. :colbert:

##vote chaoslord

Historically I am very sensitive to votes against me, but this reads to me as really forced. Am I the only one who thinks that?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chaos, why did you claim, anyways? And why not check Rarity right away?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

chaoslord posted:

Historically I am very sensitive to votes against me, but this reads to me as really forced. Am I the only one who thinks that?

Nope, at the very least it's a terrible vote.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I really don't see how anyone can look at that situation and think "chaoslord is the one I should be voting"

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

all this setup WIFOM is bad for town. Let's lynch someone based on their posting. Like Birdstrike.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Opopanax posted:

Chaos, why did you claim, anyways? And why not check Rarity right away?

I decided to take a gamble. This might end up being the last game I can do for a little while so I thought I'd try something different. Worst case I'd get NK'd N1, best case we're both town and I didn't "waste" a night trying to confirm a masonry. Obviously a cop result of any sort is never a waste, but it seems like a waste of a result to do it backwards like that.

Sure, ideal play is to not claim and cop them N1, I won't argue that at all. If Rarity is town, though, then investigating them N1 would have led us right back here because Rarity would have the same reasons to doubt my cop claim as they posted already. Which means the cop(s) are outed and there is one less result (MMM being town) to go around.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

all this setup WIFOM is bad for town. Let's lynch someone based on their posting. Like Birdstrike.

I am a mess here because you're right and I would vote him, but he's making excellent points about Opop, but also I'm pretty sure Rarity is still scum.

The problem here is that the setup spec has brought some serious scumminess out of the woodworks, so to outright dismiss it is throwing away a lot of really great (and terrible) content, but until we get flips there's really no way to read the situation, and if we flip someone who isn't mired in Copgate then we're in the same boat tomorrow.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Looks like deadline is tonight, I'm gonna be at rehearsal. I'll check in before, but today's really busy starting as soon as this class ends.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I am a mess here because you're right and I would vote him, but he's making excellent points about Opop, but also I'm pretty sure Rarity is still scum.

The problem here is that the setup spec has brought some serious scumminess out of the woodworks, so to outright dismiss it is throwing away a lot of really great (and terrible) content, but until we get flips there's really no way to read the situation, and if we flip someone who isn't mired in Copgate then we're in the same boat tomorrow.

What if everyone involved is town? What if Rarity, CL and Opop are all town and then we waste two days flipping them?

CL is the only one worth testing IMO but I don't want to lynch a cop D2.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

What if everyone involved is town? What if Rarity, CL and Opop are all town and then we waste two days flipping them?

CL is the only one worth testing IMO but I don't want to lynch a cop D2.

Because it's not gonna go away. This is a huge stupid mess, but it's also the biggest thing that's happened so far. I guess we could ignore it? But why are you so eager to?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Because it's not gonna go away. This is a huge stupid mess, but it's also the biggest thing that's happened so far. I guess we could ignore it? But why are you so eager to?

Because it's bad for town. The vote is getting manipulated and we're not even gonna be voting based on if someone is scummy, just if they're less believable than someone else. This isn't lylo. Birdstrike is scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

Because it's bad for town. The vote is getting manipulated and we're not even gonna be voting based on if someone is scummy, just if they're less believable than someone else. This isn't lylo. Birdstrike is scum.

Have you got a case?

• Locked thread