Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

beedeebee posted:

So, mission 20: I finally managed to lure the man on fire under one of those water reservoirs and blow it up. This stunned him, and I tried to extract him, because why not :v: Ocelot (or Miller) was like: good idea, let's see what he's made of. But then that little flying dude popped my balloons. So, is it possible to extract him? Maybe with the wormhole fulton? But then you'd have a flaming dude on your base, doubt that's good for morale.

And a random side question having something to do with mission 19. What happens if you shoot at child soldiers with the water pistol? Can't believe that's a question I'm asking about a game.

Probably nothing that doesn't happen to big people re the second spoiler.

The first one:
You can fulton him, the floating boy can't interrupt the wormhole. If you manage to stun the boy, you can fulton him with a balloon. Try dropping a supply drop on the Fire man next time you stun him.

ChaosArgate posted:

Are injured prisoners unable to make the trip through a wormhole?

Yeah, no wormhole for these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I've been out of town for like two weeks since this came out and am just digging into it - can you change camo in the field without having the new camo parachuted in?

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I've been out of town for like two weeks since this came out and am just digging into it - can you change camo in the field without having the new camo parachuted in?

Nope ):

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Weird decision! One of many.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

Probably nothing that doesn't happen to big people re the second spoiler.

The first one:
You can fulton him, the floating boy can't interrupt the wormhole. If you manage to stun the boy, you can fulton him with a balloon. Try dropping a supply drop on the Fire man next time you stun him.

Yeah, no wormhole for these guys.

Does anything special happen if you do pull it off, or is it just an alternative way of winning that boss fight?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Between Quiet, mission credits, and the chapter 2 trailer, the evidence is clear: Kojima is pro-spoiler.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfDCMZ86Dd8

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I never had any problems with the checkpoint system so I don't get what people mean there for example. I wouldn't knock the game down because the bulk of complaints I hear are "I had to redo an area if I fail" which I don't inherently consider a flaw in a stealth game. I would in fact argue it is superior because it allows you another chance at stealthing the area instead of forcing you back into an alarmed status because you got far enough. I wouldn't knock the game for that. I'd consider it a positive.

How about having to redo three waves in a mission based around taking out waves and waves of tanks because it doesn't save between waves.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does anything special happen if you do pull it off, or is it just an alternative way of winning that boss fight?

It's just an easy way of ending the fight on a replay really.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love how everyone just falls over themselves in love with Boss. I just want to make Bill Brasky jokes about him.

I once saw Big Boss lift 100 pounds over his head whole being bitten by venomous Australian spiders.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How long does DD take to be available for missions? It's real time or mission based? Because I'm in mission 8 or so and still nothing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

So what's a good configuration of FOB defenses? In terms of weapon range and type. Any other general tips?

Setting your defenses to non-lethal will just make it harder for the AI to defend while you're away.

Decoys are useless against human players. Cameras are pretty good against newbies because there's none in the main game and they won't be expecting them. UAVs are great, they can really hassle an invader and if one goes down it makes a big show.

Research as much green tech as you can, especially the battle dress. Set the equip level as high as it'll go, it might seem expensive but it really makes a difference and you get loads back when you win.

Don't forget to reset your security when you build a new FOB platform because it defaults to "walk in and take everything".

Short and long range are both good, not sure about mid range. Just go with whatever has the best tech to start off.

Maybe someone else has had great success micromanaging each deck/zone but the only variation I have in my base is some extra anti-theft devices in Base Development, because that's where all the goodies are.

Use the target FOM on your map to know which side of which platform the invader is on and scope it out, or run in there yourself with a shotgun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Fat Samurai posted:

How long does DD take to be available for missions? It's real time or mission based? Because I'm in mission 8 or so and still nothing.

It's after mission 10 I think. He's available right after you unlock Africa.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Weird decision! One of many.

They want you to plan ahead and didn't want the obnoxious situation like MGS3 where some players were basically changing their camo every five feet. I know some people actually enjoyed playing that way, but it wasn't remotely necessary, nor is it here. Worry more about line of sight, and when you have the luxury, exploit the strengths of your current camo, rather than worrying that you can't have perfect camo every step of the way. Take the time to survey the mission area, and make changes as needed, especially on those missions that have you cover a lot of ground or present some changing circumstance.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Ultimate FOB loadout regardless of attacking or defending : Shield + Zorn :getin:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
For the folks using the latest Cheat Engine script, does the "No Spend Resources" mean you never lose materials and plants when you deploy and upgrade your stuff?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kiggles posted:

They want you to plan ahead and didn't want the obnoxious situation like MGS3 where some players were basically changing their camo every five feet. I know some people actually enjoyed playing that way, but it wasn't remotely necessary, nor is it here. Worry more about line of sight, and when you have the luxury, exploit the strengths of your current camo, rather than worrying that you can't have perfect camo every step of the way. Take the time to survey the mission area, and make changes as needed, especially on those missions that have you cover a lot of ground or present some changing circumstance.

Meh, you can do everything in the game easily with the Sneaking suit anyway, so no need to use any other camos. The Battle Dress is useful for when combat is inevitable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

How about having to redo three waves in a mission based around taking out waves and waves of tanks because it doesn't save between waves.

Same deal actually. Being able to redo things offers more flexibility in trying again. A bigger flaw I'd say is being unable to evac the mission short of exploiting an oversight.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

They need to patch in DRM that gives you a permanent chicken hat for taking advantage of the weapon parts exploit

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ok, just started mission 21 and I suddenly got an emergency mission 22 that mother base was under attack. I accepted that mission and got dropped of at mother base and then I got killed. Could only restart mission 21 and the emergency mission didn't pop up again. Did I screw something up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

beedeebee posted:

Ok, just started mission 21 and I suddenly got an emergency mission 22 that mother base was under attack. I accepted that mission and got dropped of at mother base and then I got killed. Could only restart mission 21 and the emergency mission didn't pop up again. Did I screw something up?

Mission 22 is effectively a tutorial for the online play.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

beedeebee posted:

You can try it again from the mission menu when you finish 21.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

beedeebee posted:

You can do 22 once you finish 21. It's just a nifty way to start the mission early.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

ImpAtom posted:

Mission 22 is effectively a tutorial for the online play.

Ok, so I guess it'll pop back up when I'm running around somewhere. I figured as much, but it was a bit weird that I couldn't just restart the mission.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

beedeebee posted:

So, mission 20: I finally managed to lure the man on fire under one of those water reservoirs and blow it up. This stunned him, and I tried to extract him, because why not :v: Ocelot (or Miller) was like: good idea, let's see what he's made of. But then that little flying dude popped my balloons. So, is it possible to extract him? Maybe with the wormhole fulton? But then you'd have a flaming dude on your base, doubt that's good for morale.

And a random side question having something to do with mission 19. What happens if you shoot at child soldiers with the water pistol? Can't believe that's a question I'm asking about a game.

if you shoot emo kid twenty times he disappears and you can extract him. Bring a LMG and the water pistol. Stand in the pool - the man on fire can't enter and will just shoot fireballs at you, but you can stun him just by firing the water pistol constantly so there's no risk. After a few clips he'll be stunned and the kid will appear

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I really wish you could tag loadouts as "I would like This camo please" as an option. If you suddenly want to airdrop your poo poo Got Real loadout complete with rocket launcher, grenade launcher, grenade pistol, and every form of thrown and placed explosive known to man all in one box... you don't want to also have to make a second, separate drop for your battle dress. You know, if you aren't using foreknowledge to already be wearing the stuff.

I mean, there is "Well then just plan ahead :rolleyes:" and then there is not being able to shove a change of pants into the magical box already holding the Doom Guy experience inside.

I'm assuming the reason dropping a weapon box eats your previous weapon instead of dropping it on the ground, is an attempt to not mess up a No Trace bonus just in case? I'd really like it to leave my old gun on the ground so I can go back for it when I'm done using whatever I dropped though. "There, I'm done shoving grenades into faces. Now to pick my silenced AR back up-oh."

EDIT: None of this is "Insurmountable issues :byodood:" or anything, I just think it'd be nice to be able to tag a loadout with a camo of choice. So I can airdrop my box with a revolver, rotary grenade launcher, and whatever back weapon I can excuse as a "revolver" with the Animal Camo packaged along with it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 14, 2015

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Getting chain invaded by a guy from China if his steam profile is anything to go by. Seems to have inifinite health and shits out homing CGM rockets even when I knock him down. I disconnect whenever I die, defending my own FoB. RIP all my resources and staff I guess.

e: Yup, shot him enough times to kill someone about ten million times, and at some point it even said "intruder defeated" and gave me some espionage points but the guy was running around just fine. He finally had enough of killing all my staff with infinite CGM while I was sniping him so he rushed me, I managed to CQC him which stunned him and I extracted him, which let me win. Fun game regardless but the PC glitches/hacks makes PvP rather sad.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 14, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Meh, you can do everything in the game easily with the Sneaking suit anyway, so no need to use any other camos. The Battle Dress is useful for when combat is inevitable.

Yeah, I have basically worn nothing but the basic Olive Drab. Camos can help, but environments are not really designed in a way the player can actually exploit them very much.

There are a few instances where camo can help for getting those sub-objectives, or when approaching certain missions from certain directions. For the most part it can be ignored. Camos make a difference, but not so much to preclude simply being aware of line of sight.

Really, I like the camo system, I just with the biomes were generally larger to make using other camos worth even the GMP cost. I like Wetworks, but there are so few wetlands that it might as well not exist. Splitter is a neat idea, but it doesn't really do anything for helping reduce your profile when in vehicles. At least not over Olive.

beedeebee posted:

Ok, so I guess it'll pop back up when I'm running around somewhere. I figured as much, but it was a bit weird that I couldn't just restart the mission.

It'll actually be on your mission list. You can pick it back up whenever you want.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Sacro posted:

Getting chain invaded by a guy from China if his steam profile is anything to go by. Seems to have inifinite health and shits out homing CGM rockets even when I knock him down. I disconnect whenever I die, defending my own FoB. RIP all my resources and staff I guess.

Depending on the damage he deals he (and anyone else) will be unable to invade you again for 6 - 24 hours. Blockade and all that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To the person who asked about making DD grow up.

6 missions in total, including replays, but must include three of these missions #7,8,9 and 10.

So you can do 7,8,9 and use your gatling gun to do C2W 3 times super quick.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Chard posted:

water pistol

e: I don't actually know if this would work for that award but I bet it does

I had to find out and spent about a dozen retries trying to do C2W with a water pistol before I got it. Sadly, it doesn't count for No Traces. Did get a Foxhound rank out of it, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMlXwmPADio

Spoiler in the video for those who haven't finished all the missions though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I agree, there really should be separate "weapon+ammo" loadouts and "weapon+ammo+items+camo" loadouts. And you should *drop* items you replace with other items. They shouldn't just disappear into the loving ether like they do. Just because I call in a missile launcher to destroy 1 chopper doesn't mean I want my sniper rifle I've used for exactly 1 shot to just do away forever.

And in a perfect world there would be as many loadouts as you wanted and they would be namable. :colbert:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 14, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aishan posted:

I had to find out and spent about a dozen retries trying to do C2W with a water pistol before I got it. Sadly, it doesn't count for No Traces. Did get a Foxhound rank out of it, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMlXwmPADio

Spoiler in the video for those who haven't finished all the missions though.

Try spritzing the main control panel (in the building with the cassette originally, near the Anti-Air radar iirc) instead of the dishes. Though I've never seen it be reacted to myself, the guide says enemies won't find it suspicious if you shoot it with the water pistol because there's no visible damage. That may give you No Traces.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

I love how everyone just falls over themselves in love with Boss. I just want to make Bill Brasky jokes about him.

I once saw Big Boss lift 100 pounds over his head whole being bitten by venomous Australian spiders.

Hey, he benched a Cocoon once, that's hardly a joke, haha

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aurain posted:

It's just an easy way of ending the fight on a replay really.

Nah, easiest way to end it on a replay is the level 3 Stun arm. It one-shots him.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Is it just me or is the timer to build a nuke absurdly long

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Aurain posted:

Try spritzing the main control panel (in the building with the cassette originally, near the Anti-Air radar iirc) instead of the dishes. Though I've never seen it be reacted to myself, the guide says enemies won't find it suspicious if you shoot it with the water pistol because there's no visible damage. That may give you No Traces.

No Trace is just not firing a gun + perfect stealth, the water gun is a gun

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
the true phantom pain is having to agree to the eula every time you start the game

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tempo 119 posted:

Is it just me or is the timer to build a nuke absurdly long

Given that it's connected to the FOB stuff, it's probably a real time (i.e. keeps counting even when you're not playing) timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RatHat posted:

Nah, easiest way to end it on a replay is the level 3 Stun arm. It one-shots him.

It's not really any easier than just sprinting to build some room, calling in your heli waiting by a barrel and then fultoning him with the Wormhole.

They're like equal levels of zero effort.

• Locked thread