Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

drizzle posted:

Hey that was my team. Tell #16 to knock off the show off bullshit before he gets himself hurt.

And yeah our team sucks everyone except for two or three of us started playing in Feb or so. We were missing all our good players last night too. I was probably our best player there which is Not Good.
The little bit of talking on the ice I got to do with the people on your team was pleasant. It was actually a pretty nice changed compared to one of the coed teams from summer.

I was actually saying late in the first period that we were going to need to reign #16 in pretty quick. He should really be up in the C leagues, but he's down to play with his sister.

I was #3, on defense until the last shift of the game when I moved up to center for 3/4 of a shift. I don't know how well I actually did, but 16 actually saw me after the game and said he thinks I should be on D for the duration of the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

doctor 7 posted:

I read it more as a "some people may take that shut too seriously" more than a "imma gently caress 'im up proper next time, mate."

Haha I will make use of this

Yeah double digit losses are a pretty fuckin common occurrence for our team so none of us really care about another high school has been joining a D2 house team and skating circles around a bunch of old dudes.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

The little bit of talking on the ice I got to do with the people on your team was pleasant. It was actually a pretty nice changed compared to one of the coed teams from summer.

I was actually saying late in the first period that we were going to need to reign #16 in pretty quick. He should really be up in the C leagues, but he's down to play with his sister.

I was #3, on defense until the last shift of the game when I moved up to center for 3/4 of a shift. I don't know how well I actually did, but 16 actually saw me after the game and said he thinks I should be on D for the duration of the league.

Were you in the green socks? I was #21, playing D too

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

drizzle posted:

Were you in the green socks? I was #21, playing D too

Yeah, green socks.

I liked that pass I screwed up in the first that I put in one of your guys skates for an offside.

One thing I will say for your team, you blew us up on the face offs more often then not. I think you guys won 80% of them.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
My league for the winter just informed us that starting this season, mandatory full-face masks will be required. Much to the disappointment to try-hards like me with half-shields and super try hards without any facial protections.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Full shields aren't a thing around here, but an increasing number of house leagues have put in a visor requirement in the last year. The ones that are USA Hockey affiliated anyways.

One rink I skate at still has anything goes. :v:

But I wear a cage because I like concussions.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

dyn posted:

My league for the winter just informed us that starting this season, mandatory full-face masks will be required. Much to the disappointment to try-hards like me with half-shields and super try hards without any facial protections.

I wonder if I could make a case for an exception if my league ever does that. I have asthma so I much prefer having quick access for putting my inhaler to my mouth.

I'm not stupid and wear a good quality visor and a mouth guard. Having to undo my straps for my mask then helmet to take a puff is like 30 seconds of torment during an attack. :/

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

doctor 7 posted:

I wonder if I could make a case for an exception if my league ever does that. I have asthma so I much prefer having quick access for putting my inhaler to my mouth.

I'm not stupid and wear a good quality visor and a mouth guard. Having to undo my straps for my mask then helmet to take a puff is like 30 seconds of torment during an attack. :/

How do you talk with a mouthguard in? I bought a mid range shock doctor and a couple of the tapout ones(because having fangs on my mouth guard is ridiculous and awesome), but no one could understand a word I was saying on the ice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wear a mouthguard when I wear a visor (not often), and I can't talk for poo poo with it in. Some rear end in a top hat in this thread recommended it and said it was easy to talk too :argh:

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

delpheye posted:

How do you talk with a mouthguard in? I bought a mid range shock doctor and a couple of the tapout ones(because having fangs on my mouth guard is ridiculous and awesome), but no one could understand a word I was saying on the ice.

I use one of these: http://www.sisuguard.com/sisu-starter-kit/ and people can understand me fairly well once I got it fitted all the way, took me a couple tries. It comes completely flat and you mold it up around your teeth versus a gel system, like shock docs use.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

delpheye posted:

Well nobody understands full sentences with it in on the bench so I take it out when I come off. But in the middle of the game I never say anything besides single words. So I guess I'd suggest just keeping your messages short and use common words in hockey? My verbal communication is basically the following:

"Yeap, yeap" (for keep doing whatever you're doing, usually if someone is skating up with the puck I let them know they are clear from behind) or "open!"

"Boards!" "Shoot!" "Dump!" "Drop, drop" "Clear" "right" "left" "feet" "behind" etc.

Then there are non-verbal cues like banging my stick on the ice for a pass. Or if I'm saying who I'll cover if I'm hanging back on D because our D man pinched I just point who the other D should cover as a way to let them know I am aware who my man is (usually they just tell me what to do though and I do it).

Basically I just keep what I'm saying really short so it's easy to understand. I've never heard anyone say anything, mouth guard or no, more complex than "up the boards" when actually on the ice, which I just shorten to "boards".

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
Just go to your dentist and get a proper fitting "sports guard" made. They are cheap (Paid approximately $40 for mine) and feel perfect. I can usually talk with it in but will usually take it out if I ever need to yell at my teammates or make fun of someone on the other team.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

doctor 7 posted:

Well nobody understands full sentences with it in on the bench so I take it out when I come off. But in the middle of the game I never say anything besides single words. So I guess I'd suggest just keeping your messages short and use common words in hockey? My verbal communication is basically the following:

"Yeap, yeap" (for keep doing whatever you're doing, usually if someone is skating up with the puck I let them know they are clear from behind) or "open!"

"Boards!" "Shoot!" "Dump!" "Drop, drop" "Clear" "right" "left" "feet" "behind" etc.

Then there are non-verbal cues like banging my stick on the ice for a pass. Or if I'm saying who I'll cover if I'm hanging back on D because our D man pinched I just point who the other D should cover as a way to let them know I am aware who my man is (usually they just tell me what to do though and I do it).

Basically I just keep what I'm saying really short so it's easy to understand. I've never heard anyone say anything, mouth guard or no, more complex than "up the boards" when actually on the ice, which I just shorten to "boards".

Ok, that's about what I thought. I needed a sanity check to make sure I wasn't somehow unable to work a mouth guard correctly. I'm the only one in my league that wears one, and I didn't the first 15 years I played. Everyone else says their cage is their mouth guard, but they don't believe the hype when presented with the scenario where you get hit in the chin and you mouth closes with enough force to crack teeth.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I took a puck off the cage once where it would have hit me square in the teeth had I been wearing a visor.

I felt pretty cool afterwards but that was probably an effect of the cage-induced concussion

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

dyn posted:

Just go to your dentist and get a proper fitting "sports guard" made. They are cheap (Paid approximately $40 for mine) and feel perfect. I can usually talk with it in but will usually take it out if I ever need to yell at my teammates or make fun of someone on the other team.

I did this and that thing makes me gag worse than any other mouthguard I've tried, plus it's too tight on my gums. Total fail.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I just use the Shock Doctor ones you boil to set it to your upper row of teeth. I like it because I can still open my mouth without it falling but I can still bite down hard if I'm gritting my teeth doing try hard stuff like trying to skate hard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

communist kangaroo posted:

I took a puck off the cage once where it would have hit me square in the teeth had I been wearing a visor.

I felt pretty cool afterwards but that was probably an effect of the cage-induced concussion

I took a slapper off the cage that would have been at the bridge of my nose. It bent the gently caress out of the cage but I was glad I wore it. Otherwise I would have probably lost vision.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone should get a mouthguard and form it and carry it with you even if you don't wear it because its basically a pretty good $20 dental insurance policy. Also if you wear a cage and not a mouthguard your priorities are misaligned

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

delpheye posted:

Everyone else says their cage is their mouth guard, but they don't believe the hype when presented with the scenario where you get hit in the chin and you mouth closes with enough force to crack teeth.

People harass me for cage+mouthguard, but gently caress 'em -- that's exactly why I wear it. I already broke a tooth as a kid in a non-sporting related injury due to my jaw snapping shut, I'm not going through that poo poo again.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Any time someone says "they're gonna get hurt" at an ice rink, the PA system should play DUN DUN DUNNNNNN at max volume.

I actually agree with xzzy. This is the best idea he's had.

For mouthguard chat, I wear one from my dentist even as a goalie. Turns out I clench my jaw on hard shots and managed to crack a Cerec crown. If your mouthguard is fitted correctly you should be able to talk with barely any impediment in my experience.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I had the first game with a new team last night. Then the captain didn't show and we didn't have a goalie. Turns out the captain fell asleep after work and missed both the game and the text from the goalie saying he couldn't make it. Dang.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I've been looking at some pond hockey tournaments since it's almost registration time. Has anyone played in the Alexandria Bay/1000 Islands area? Looks like there's the River Hockey Classic tournament and a separate Alexandria Bay pond hockey tournament held there. In typical fashion one is sponsored by Molson and the other by Labatt. Has anyone played at either? Trying to figure if it's worth the drive from NYC. With registration and room, probably will only cost about $250 per player.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Thufir posted:

I had the first game with a new team last night. Then the captain didn't show and we didn't have a goalie. Turns out the captain fell asleep after work and missed both the game and the text from the goalie saying he couldn't make it. Dang.

That stinks. Nothing worse than a goalie that calls out of a game with less than 24hrs notice but even worse when the notice falls on deaf ears. Our captain tries to make sure we have 10 guys every week and usually roster about 12 or 13 guys and then have a small call list of guys that'll play if they can when they get The Call. It almost never fails that we have 10 guys lined up and somebody calls an hour before game time and bails out. At least our goalie doesn't leave us hanging.

Our winter league starts at the end of the month so its time to start skating a little more I guess. I finally signed up for a no commitment Stinky Socks game for tomorrow night. For those of you that have played it, do you need to bring the copy of the receipt or anything like that? Its my first time using their service.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went to another stick and puck session (this time in lynnwood) today, there where a whopping 4 people total. I love the seattle area. And the ice was great. Super smooth and hard.

My skating got rusty after a month off. Even worse is my overall cardio.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Loqieu posted:

I've been looking at some pond hockey tournaments since it's almost registration time. Has anyone played in the Alexandria Bay/1000 Islands area? Looks like there's the River Hockey Classic tournament and a separate Alexandria Bay pond hockey tournament held there. In typical fashion one is sponsored by Molson and the other by Labatt. Has anyone played at either? Trying to figure if it's worth the drive from NYC. With registration and room, probably will only cost about $250 per player.

Lake Placid. We sent a goon team 3 years ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Loqieu posted:

Colorado was fun. Free PBR, can't go wrong.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Went to another stick and puck session (this time in lynnwood) today, there where a whopping 4 people total. I love the seattle area. And the ice was great. Super smooth and hard.

My skating got rusty after a month off. Even worse is my overall cardio.

Yeah I've never had a packed stick'n'puck up there. Used to hit the Friday midday session more often because a lot of my old team ended up there but not so much lately. Too far for rush hour on a Friday.

You looking to join a team/league out here at all btw?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah I've never had a packed stick'n'puck up there. Used to hit the Friday midday session more often because a lot of my old team ended up there but not so much lately. Too far for rush hour on a Friday.

You looking to join a team/league out here at all btw?

Just did an eval skate and joined the GSHL. We'll see how this goes. Always looking into playing though so if you ever need a sub or do a drop in. I'm in the Greenwood/green lake area so I'm able to get up north pretty quick (I think I recall you saying you play mostly north of the city)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Just did an eval skate and joined the GSHL. We'll see how this goes. Always looking into playing though so if you ever need a sub or do a drop in. I'm in the Greenwood/green lake area so I'm able to get up north pretty quick (I think I recall you saying you play mostly north of the city)

:toot: Oh yeah that's right evals just happened - Yeah we actually need an extra dude on my new team as one of my other buddies had to bail for the season. :( Do you know what div you're going to be playing in? As far as locale I pretty much play anywhere; I'm mobile - I'm actually down on the southish side of town, though.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

That stinks. Nothing worse than a goalie that calls out of a game with less than 24hrs notice but even worse when the notice falls on deaf ears. Our captain tries to make sure we have 10 guys every week and usually roster about 12 or 13 guys and then have a small call list of guys that'll play if they can when they get The Call. It almost never fails that we have 10 guys lined up and somebody calls an hour before game time and bails out. At least our goalie doesn't leave us hanging.

Our winter league starts at the end of the month so its time to start skating a little more I guess. I finally signed up for a no commitment Stinky Socks game for tomorrow night. For those of you that have played it, do you need to bring the copy of the receipt or anything like that? Its my first time using their service.

Ive never needed to bring a copy of the receipt, just check in with the guy running it (usually the ref). Keep checking your email up until game time, usually you get a team assignment email ( but not always!)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

EvilTwig posted:

Ive never needed to bring a copy of the receipt, just check in with the guy running it (usually the ref). Keep checking your email up until game time, usually you get a team assignment email ( but not always!)
Thanks for the tip. I probably wouldn't have checked my email.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Went for a public skating to get my legs back on Tuesday before I start this season. Felt wobbly for a bit even after just 3 weeks with no skating. But by the end of an hour and a half I was feeling alright.

Tonight I have power skating from 5:15-6 then my debut game at 9:45-10:45. Nicely spaced so I can carb out for the power skating then the game right after with my two 3 hour pasta intervals of diet autism.

Or at least it would be but I only had one cup of whole wheat pasta instead of my 1 3/4 cups.

:(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

:toot: Oh yeah that's right evals just happened - Yeah we actually need an extra dude on my new team as one of my other buddies had to bail for the season. :( Do you know what div you're going to be playing in? As far as locale I pretty much play anywhere; I'm mobile - I'm actually down on the southish side of town, though.

Okay I'll have to keep that in mind. I really liked the Kent Valley rink, it was really nice and the ice was great but its a hike for me. I'm closest to Highland and Lynnwood but I'm willing to go wherever for hockey. I'm not sure what division I'll be playing in yet, apparently I'm supposed to be contacted by my captain fairly soon as I think they draft towards the end of this month (27th I think). I have no idea as to what level I'll be playing on but judging by the eval skate I would say somewhere around the middle of the pack.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
drat - I wanted to poach you for the scrub leagues. :v:

First time skating in the ShoWare Center (thunderbirds) tonight and get to skate on the big ice in Everett (silvertips') ice on Sunday. Hooray hockey I'm sure I'll be huffin' and puffin' in 10 minutes. :toot:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Started playing for a new team, our first game was tonight. The sweaters are.... bright...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Blue on red. Don't they know that color combination visually vibrates?

Ugh your team needs to increase their design and marketing budget.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

Blue on red. Don't they know that color combination visually vibrates?

Ugh your team needs to increase their design and marketing budget.

Thats orange bud!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
:swoon: Man, Seattle Thunderbirds / showare center ice was, as the kids say: "dope as heck". Wish I could play there all the time. :swoon:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Well 45 minutes of power skating before my first game tonight

Jesus Christ I am so tired

We lost 5-3. I was -1 and one of the goals against was directly my fault for the shittiest clearing attempt I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

D C posted:

Thats orange bud!

As a connoisseur of ugly jerseys I am deeply envious. Although if I were designing it I'd replace the blue with purple.