Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I was specifically talking about the policy of war on drugs, I did not address welfare form. Those are separate issues.

Also bullshit, the War on Drugs has been controversial as hell since the day it began

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

twodot posted:

If you aren't crafting policy based on morality, then how can you expect the policies you create to be good? I don't care how effectively someone can go to war with Iraq, it was a bad idea. I don't think a President that robotically and effectively enacts whatever polls at 51% is a good idea.

My father is a civil engineer. I pass a $2 trillion infrastructure bill with the goal of handing this contracts to my family and friends. It will also result in a massive redistribution to the working class, a sharp drop in unemployment, and put the country in an overwhelming position for future growth and economic dominance due to our now best in the world infrastructure.

I want one party rule of the bureaucracy, since that is where a lot of the real power lies. So I pass a bill doing a complete top down reformation of how the government works, yanking back privatized functions, updating all our systems with a future focused technology policy and an org and reward system focused on fast user satisfaction and transparency; that way I can fire all the party X appointees as "redundant", push their past screwups to justify more firings as "transparency", and make the voters so happy and an easy to access and responsive government they don't let the bastards back in for a decade, kneecapping the oppositions ability to groom and promote new prospects.

Evangelical support is critical to my opponents coalition, and they are mainly motivated by abortion opposition. So I pass a bill for free contraception, free family planning counseling, free prenatal care, comprehensive sex-Ed, a Nordic style "new parent support" giveaway, universals daycare/pre-K, and overhaul the adoption system making it easier for LBGT couples to adopt. Abortion falls to a quarter of its earlier numbers, he can't get out the vote, I cruise to reelection

Don't tell me good policy is grounded in good morals. I could run this country like I'm Doctor Doom and enact policy that would have you all building statues to me.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

this_is_hard posted:

Also bullshit, the War on Drugs has been controversial as hell since the day it began

I was specifically talking to the Clinton era policies that led to mass incarceration and their support among experts in the field at the time they passed to point out that it wasn't like, at the time, those policies weren't viewed as "good" or "correct" ways to solve a problem facing the nation.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I was specifically talking about the policy of war on drugs, I did not address welfare form. Those are separate issues.

First of all: they are not. Second of all: many people knew the drug war was a farce from the moment it started. Did most of those people have Ivy League PhDs? No, what they had was more important: they were members of the communities being destroyed in that War.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I like how we have pages and pages of :shillary: vs :bernget: when there is an impending government shutdown.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hobbesmaster posted:

I like how we have pages and pages of :shillary: vs :bernget: when there is an impending government shutdown.

I think we're just waiting for Tortilla Coast to open for the dinner crowd.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm more than happy to talk about the impending government shutdown. :shobon:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
One final note on good policy from good morality - Going into the election, Nixon was regarded as better on civil rights than Kennedy, and significantly better than LBJ. How did that shake out?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think we're just waiting for Tortilla Coast to open for the dinner crowd.

Yeah good point. Maybe they need a better happy hour.

Or bring your own bbq or something.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

An eternal rule of American politics is "Vermont doesn't count," which will be hammered home shortly.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SedanChair posted:

Politicians who supported gay marriage (or any sort of gay rights) simply would not have been electable 10 years ago. 5 years ago, even. If you want a person who's been outspoken and perfect on gay rights for their entire career, wait 30 years. Then disdain them for not being outspoken on whatever sort of rights we suddenly decide are essential at that time.

It depends a lot on the area and what political office they were running for as well to put things in context. Bill Clinton's gay rights support in 1992 would be considered weak if he were running as someone representing part of SF or NYC but beyond the pale if he were running in rural Texas. There are politicians who have had 30 or more years of support for gay rights, but they're very likely representing a big city or a liberal area.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
There's currently a whole forum just for elections you guys

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

One final note on good policy from good morality - Going into the election, Nixon was regarded as better on civil rights than Kennedy, and significantly better than LBJ. How did that shake out?

Also that had Watergate not broken, we would have likely gotten Nixoncare, which would have been further left than what Obamacare ended up being.

Anyway, re the shutdown: Amber Phillips at WaPo has a good rundown on the likelihood and the things moving it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/09/09/get-ready-experts-say-a-government-shutdown-is-likely/

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 14, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah good point. Maybe they need a better happy hour.

Or bring your own bbq or something.

They really ought to discount the members of the HFC for all of the free advertising that they're getting. I'm visiting DC next month and I'm going to pop in for lunch.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Fried Chicken posted:

Don't tell me good policy is grounded in good morals. I could run this country like I'm Doctor Doom and enact policy that would have you all building statues to me.
If I think you have a bad moral system, how can I expect you to coincidentally enact good policy that benefits you, rather than randomly good and randomly bad policy that benefits you? I would also speculate that bad policy is generally much more likely than good policy to have benefits to those in power.

Trabisnikof posted:

You don't go to war in Iraq because it is bad for American policy interests.

I can make all sorts of valid moral arguments for the invasion of Iraq, but I can make far fewer arguments that it was in American policy interest.

Hell, the one person who voted against the GWOT in the house did so because she couldn't write a blank check not because she opposed war on moral grounds.
Advancing the interests of America being a good thing is a moral system. Most people would recognize it as a bad moral system, but if you promoting a candidate on the basis that they want good things for American policy interests (whatever that means) you're making a moral righteousness argument (just one that is transparently evil).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

Evangelical support is critical to my opponents coalition, and they are mainly motivated by abortion opposition. So I pass a bill for free contraception, free family planning counseling, free prenatal care, comprehensive sex-Ed, a Nordic style "new parent support" giveaway, universals daycare/pre-K, and overhaul the adoption system making it easier for LBGT couples to adopt. Abortion falls to a quarter of its earlier numbers, he can't get out the vote, I cruise to reelection

You don't understand the evangelical movement at all if you think they wouldn't oppose this stuff as much as abortion. You're teaching children about sex you perverted godless monster. :bahgawd:

They think contraceptives cause abortion so you don't actually lower the amount of abortions according to their views. You actually make it worse to them because people will have more sex now because [dumb fundie reasons] meaning more abortion-by-birth-control.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Zeroisanumber posted:

They really ought to discount the members of the HFC for all of the free advertising that they're getting. I'm visiting DC next month and I'm going to pop in for lunch.

I guess there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

My father is a civil engineer. I pass a $2 trillion infrastructure bill with the goal of handing this contracts to my family and friends. It will also result in a massive redistribution to the working class, a sharp drop in unemployment, and put the country in an overwhelming position for future growth and economic dominance due to our now best in the world infrastructure.

I want one party rule of the bureaucracy, since that is where a lot of the real power lies. So I pass a bill doing a complete top down reformation of how the government works, yanking back privatized functions, updating all our systems with a future focused technology policy and an org and reward system focused on fast user satisfaction and transparency; that way I can fire all the party X appointees as "redundant", push their past screwups to justify more firings as "transparency", and make the voters so happy and an easy to access and responsive government they don't let the bastards back in for a decade, kneecapping the oppositions ability to groom and promote new prospects.

Not gonna lie, I could get behind some honest graft and a road to heaven paved with bad intentions.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think she needs to say "I apologize." She said "I was wrong and I have evolved on the issue." Which is sufficient for me, an actual LGBT person.

Well we've heard from an actual LGBT person, I guess we should stop having opinions guys.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zeroisanumber posted:

You might want to reconsider that. Joementum (at least I think it was Joementum) has remarked several times on the subpar quality of the food.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You might want to reconsider that. Joementum (at least I think it was Joementum) has remarked several times on the subpar quality of the food.

Yeah, Tortilla Coast is terrible. There's actual good food, even decent Mexican food, in DC, don't do that to yourself. (If you want good tacos, go to Tacos al Chilango or Super Tacos and Bakery. STB also does good tamales but pretty mediocre burritos, so don't get burritos there.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brannock posted:

This is from three hours ago so please forgive me for dredging up an old post (and I'm sorry to continue the slapfight) but these accusations are completely bullshit. Andichu here you go, an extensively sourced comparison of the two on issues I find important, as well as a pretty good illustration of why Clinton is a literal lizard person. At least this is some actual concrete stuff instead of whining about ideological purity and strategical voting. Actual issues!

Mental gymnastics, eh? :jerkbag: You're so much smarter than that Andichu, why stoop down to this level?

edit: Here's a site with clickable hyperlinks if you don't feel like typing in all those goo.gl addresses.

I'm just looking into each linked article but there is some real questionable stuff in there, like stating that Hillary supports for profit prisons because a lobbyist that does business with them and others has been a bundler for her in the past. Some good links tho.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Don't you get it? The candidate who has a record of supporting retarded loving garbage, who is in the pocket of wall street, who has a problem with being perceived as untrustworthy by Americans, who is losing support (while the other guy gains it), is clearly the best choice for running America!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rah! posted:

Don't you get it? The candidate who has a record of supporting retarded loving garbage, who is in the pocket of wall street, who has a problem with being perceived as untrustworthy by Americans, who is losing support (while the other guy gains it), is clearly the best choice for running America!

So you're an avid Trump supporter I take it?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Rah! posted:

I hate to point this out, but the Democratic primary process does not actually decide who is going to run America

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump can't be stumped by facts. And all of his primary opponents will endorse him when the time comes because they are bustas.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Radbot posted:

Well we've heard from an actual LGBT person, I guess we should stop having opinions guys.

Or maybe take the writing between the lines that LGBT community isn't as upset by her past as you are?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
somebody tried to preemptively justify the impending hilary vs bernie slapfight by saying people talk about republican candidate infighting all the time in this thread, which is true, but the fact of the matter is that it's possible to bring up republican candidates without peoples heads exploding

or i should say, its possible to tune out the trump supporters but for some reason people here just cant keep away from the sander fan bait

e: rah is way more obvious than migf but they already have two earnest bites and counting. d+d cant be trusted to talk about bernie sanders

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Raerlynn posted:

Or maybe take the writing between the lines that LGBT community isn't as upset by her past as you are?

As a trans woman I'd rather have Bernie than Hillary. It's almost as if the LGBT community is as frayed as any other 'community' and individuals within it are individuals. :v:

Anyway, my issue with Hillary is one people have touched on, mobilizing people. How does Hillary get people out there beyond saying "I'm not a Republican." I feel Obama had a lot of support because he could do more than just not be a Republican. If Hillary's only positive is she isn't a Republican I'd be very worried, and at least from where I am her only point is that she isn't a Republican. So I guess what way does Hillary get people to motivated to vote for her and not just against Republicans?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I like to think that I'm this thread's official "DC Native who preaches about how lovely that place is."
Just make sure when you go, go to the one near Capitol Hill. There's another location, and if you're going to go, at least go to the right one and go pee in the basement, where the restrooms as well as their secret meeting place are

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Ted Cruz is throwing a tantrum, so what?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I was specifically talking to the Clinton era policies that led to mass incarceration and their support among experts in the field at the time they passed to point out that it wasn't like, at the time, those policies weren't viewed as "good" or "correct" ways to solve a problem facing the nation.

The more interesting part of her argument was that there was support for a tough stance on drug crime from the black community at the time, because there was. It wasn't universal and there was criticism as well as support for that approach, but the problem that was being responded to at the time was outright violence over the drug trade threatening the lives of people in the communities involved, and that lead to a lot of support for a crackdown from more conservative elements of those communities that was seen as more urgent than the long-term consequences of that approach.

Of course, I don't think many of the people involved (on the left-wing anyhow) really pictured those laws being used to lock people away for marijuana possession as if they were caught with the same weight of cocaine.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Today I made my first tweet ever. I tweeted Donald Trump this very important question: "If China refuses to renegotiate trade deals to bring back jobs to america, would you consider a military intervention?"

I have a feeling this will remain unanswered.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Eimi posted:

Anyway, my issue with Hillary is one people have touched on, mobilizing people. How does Hillary get people out there beyond saying "I'm not a Republican." I feel Obama had a lot of support because he could do more than just not be a Republican. If Hillary's only positive is she isn't a Republican I'd be very worried, and at least from where I am her only point is that she isn't a Republican. So I guess what way does Hillary get people to motivated to vote for her and not just against Republicans?

To a certain degree, she can look to support from Bill and Obama for that. At the same time, that and the related issue of showing that she recognizes and is responding to the demand for left-wing policies should definitely be her top priorities.

Sanders has also brought a lot of people to the party who are there on the basis of his appeal and policies, and I really hope she can solidify their support. At the same time, a substantial portion of those people (at least online) either buy into right-wing memes about her or are pretty misogynistic in general. The former and those who are otherwise just genuinely energized by Sanders are really cool and great to see involved and I hope she can at least make a case for herself without alienating them. And that their support is deep enough to persist if she does win.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eimi posted:

Anyway, my issue with Hillary is one people have touched on, mobilizing people. How does Hillary get people out there beyond saying "I'm not a Republican." I feel Obama had a lot of support because he could do more than just not be a Republican.

She used a little known person named Bernie Sanders to get voters excited about Democrats.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

computer parts posted:

She used a little known person named Bernie Sanders to get voters excited about Democrats.

One weird trick to get voters involved (Republicans hate it!)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

One weird trick to get voters involved (Republicans hate it!)

It will be fun to see Sanders stump for Clinton.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Eimi posted:

As a trans woman I'd rather have Bernie than Hillary. It's almost as if the LGBT community is as frayed as any other 'community' and individuals within it are individuals. :v:

Hillary gets people motivated by...saying and "believing" whatever has been focus tested by her well paid experts to be what the most people want her to say and believe I guess?

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Fried Chicken posted:

Impeach Enthrone Fried Chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
So is Walker pretty much done now that he's released his plan to destroy federal unions?

• Locked thread